All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Re: ((((((LanaMarie))))))) new
      #149504 - 02/13/05 08:55 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I am so happy you are doing better....a person always has to hit bottom before they can go on the road to recovery! It is a hard road to breaking away and becoming a person you can be happy with.

You are a wonderful person and although it's difficult to believe - start believin' it baby! LOL

As I said, feel free to email me...it's nice to have someone who understands. Who knows, maybe you can help me too LOL

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

bump two above posts-nt new
      #149532 - 02/13/05 09:36 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Beth! new
      #149880 - 02/14/05 10:45 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

here we go..sorry it took so long...
1) I was going to suggest a simple higher fibre diet for you - none of that horrible wheat bran on cereal lark or anything...just a diet which is higher in fibre all round...I can guide you if you are interested.
2)I take the following: jarrow probiotic, slippery elm, peppermint caps, multivitamin (centrum), fish oil, flax seed oil caps, about to start on marshmallow root too. I absolutely believe in herbal medicines but they are only going to be effective if a person has a lifestyle that compliments them eg there is no point in washing down a cheeseburger with slippery elm!!:-) I know thats not you, but you have to eat in the most nutritious way that is humanly possible for your condition in order to create an environment in which your body can heal itself.
3)I cannot recommend any one book to read...I have read a huge amount...my hero is Dr. Bernard Jensen...he recently died...amazing hero of holistic nutrition.
4)About which to give up - I am not a medical doctor. I cannot confidently TELL you what to give up - but I can recommend. I would definetly give up the zelnorm and the miralax. That is, if you are interested in long term healing. The zelnorm because it is only approved by the FDA for use of about 2-3 months - what is the point? It may not even be safe! And on top of that - you are suffering so much with C, its evident that it is hardly a miracle drug for you. You are merely putting yet another thing into your body to confuse your already confused gut.
the miralax because laxatives damage the autonomous functioning of the digestive system. you HAVE to be able to go to the toilet on your own. I worry a lot about people relying on laxatives...you don't want a lifetime on them and I am SO confident we can get you to go through diet.
As for the lexapro and klonopin...stay on them for now. As you eat better and poo better you will feel soooo much better psychologically - C causes depression and anxiety because all the toxins that sit around in your gut radiate all over you and into your brain - make you feel like absolute crap and believe me I know the feeling - the longest I ever went without pooing was a month.Unbelievable huh?
5) Yes you would rely a lot on fruits and vegies, but there are ways to make them much more soothing to the gut..noone is suggesting you suddenly start eating a whole field of lettuce leaves tomorrow! We can move slowly! The higher vitamin and mineral content in these foods will nourish your body to rebalance and your C will not be as bad.
How do you know that you are the type of gluten intolerant person that can't also tolerate barley and oats - because some gluten intolerant people can and come can't. have you tested eating them? even if you can't have them - there are plenty you can still have. we are a society obsessed with wheat...don't worry.
I suggest peeled fruits at first and then a movement into unpeeled preferably ORGANIC fruits...
6)Flax seed ground up is great. I eat my fruits alone and with meals. people have different opinions about this...I usually use fruits to satisfy my sweet craving following a meal!Don't worry yourself about food combining - just eat well. But don't eat heavy - like take a plate of millet and chicken for example and make sure the portion isn't too big - that can also encourage bloating and C.
7) I certainly do loved baked kettle chips but am not that into pretzels....
8) dandelion and licorice tea are absolutely fine for constipation...I drink yogi tummy tea, chamomile, dandelion, peppermint, green tea occassionally, and ginger. I think IBS C is easier to control through diet then D in the sense that we can eat more wholegrains etc...its much more nutritious.
9) I will be surprised if we cannot make you go to the toilet regularly with just diet and tea and perhaps a few herbal supplements! thats my honest opinion - I feel very hopeful!
With love XXXXX

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

beth 2!!! new
      #149887 - 02/14/05 10:53 AM
daliatree

Hey sweetie
I know you are feeling really stressed about whether a new method is going to work or not but two things here and I know they are easier said then done:
1) Relax. When you worry about why you haven't pooed etc , you tense up everywhere and make it worse. Just relax. Do something that makes you happy. i know its hard.
2) Patience. With IBS C it can take days, and often you will feel worse! till something kicks in...sometimes it can take a few weeks. You have to give it a chance. don't panic. stay hydrated and its going to be fine.

i would add the canned pumpkin in towards the end and let it cook a little with the soup for making the flavours merge.

The other thing I want you to realise is that even if you DO poo and it may even be a bit sloppy, after a few days, you may swing back to C again - each time the swings from one extreme to another will become less intense IF you keep to the same diet - and then you suddenly will be going everyday and it will look better too!! patience patience patience. I KNOW its hard...believe me!
you are not doing anything wrong...listen - you don't know how many years it took for your body to work itself into this chronic condition - so its going to take work, time and effort to work its way out of it. thankfully the way out is shorter then the way in - but there is NO miracle pill. modern medicine treats symptoms most of the time but not the causes...we need to try and rebalance your body. Its going to take TIME. Its going to be WORTH IT.

--------------------

Dalia...more questions new
      #149893 - 02/14/05 11:01 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I am wondering...why is seal salt better for you than regular salt? Does it have to do with processing? What is it in Dandelion Root that makes you go? Is it fiber or something else?

Why do you prefer Organic? I've heard mixed review on the subject.

Do you know how things are moving along in the naturopathic world? I am wondering how many years it will likely be before naturopathy is covered by insurance?!

Are there any things I can do naturally for a dog allergy? When my dog Shana scratches me while playing or whatever I end up ithcing and swelling with welts. Any ideas there?

What is required for a naturopathic degree? How much of a science/mathematics background do you need? Is it similair to allopathic medicine in that regard?

What can happen if a person does not have a BM in over a month? You metioned in your post to Beth that this has happened to you...it has also happened to me.

Ok...I'll stop here! Thanks Dalia *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Dalia...more questions new
      #149910 - 02/14/05 12:02 PM
daliatree

Hey sweetie...hope you are feeling good - your hubby did the sweetest things for you!
1)Sea salt is very mineral rich ie in a lot of the minerals your body needs for balanced functioning. Refined table salt is almost packed with additives, plus the chemical form of 'salt' it contains is not so balanced. It involves complicated human biochemistry which I can go into if you want me to, but its kind of dull for most people! A lot of people blame table salt for hyperthyroidism.
2)I don't use dandelion to do a poo actually - i use it for its liver cleansing abilities. i think it tastes awful though. Bleh!
3)There certainly are mixed reviews on organic food. The problems often lie in the fact that its easy for some manufacturers to twist the meaning of organic. its really irritating and unethical. I have studied Environmental Biogeoscience as my undergraduate degree and with all experience in nutrition etc I have come to the conclusion that organic is better in so many dimensions. Its a really longwinded subject but basically buying organic does these things : shows respect for the planet and our fellow human beings. when we buy organic coffee for example, we are much more likely to be buying it from a farmer who has not been abused by huge mutinationals like nestle (who are committing mortal sins in the way they treat local farmers in the developing world just to make their coffee cheaper on our supermarket shelves). We are buying from people who have cared enough about the planet and the future generations to start a business putting their beliefs into practise. From a chemical point of view - when I worked in date farms we had to put on these incredible protective suits to spray the dates with pesticides etc...after that, you think I would ever eat a non organic date!!! Each date only has a small residue on it, but when you eat a lot of them the residue lingers in your cells. I think these chemicals have a lot to answer for. A LOT!! Food that is organic has been allowed to reach its full sellable size in its own time - it hasn't been manipulated to grow big and beautiful and perfect looking - conventional produce is that perfect looking because its full of water etc - its nowhere near as nutritious. We are all well fed calorifically - but not with regard to trace nutrients and minerals. I truly believe this. And with respect to organic meat - I think its a disgrace how we treat animals. I've been to abattoirs, and also chicken farms. I have been vegan for months when I haven't been able to get my hands on organic eggs /chicken breasts. As you can tell, I feel very strongly about the matter.
however - I never ever lecture anyone about it. Each to their own and I never judge.I am just being opinionated because you asked me!
naturopathy is doing well in one realm and not so well in another. There are two types of naturopath - naturopathic physicians who study for four years - the first two in medical school with allopathic doctors. The other type are simply naturopaths. I would have loved to have been a naturopathic physician, I just do not have the money! I will be a naturopath. naturopathic physicians are probably going to get improved for insurance at some point soon. But pure naturopaths are very annoyed, because they feel that the physican types are squeezing the pure naturopathy OUT. The type that I am is the traditional type so we were there first! hahahahha :-)
I haven't reached the point in my study for giving advice on animal allergies....so don't feel comfortable helping you with it..sorry :-(
To become a naturopathic physician you need to go to one of teh five shcools in the US that teach it...To become a naturopath its a lot more wishy washy. i think I went into it a bit in a previous post - how I don't want to be associated with some of the institutions that claim to teach naturopathy. there is almost zero legislation. thats why its so hard out there. someone can complete a weekend course and call themself a naturopath. its awful because they can go all out of control and put someone on some crazy fasting detox or a whole range of herbs and they can really end up seriously hurting someone! I do not want to be like that. So I am under the guidance of a wonderful iridologist here in NYC, I was under the guidance of a different one in Israel...and study mostly on my own, meeting up with mentors for advice and problems and testing. Its very hard. I just know some day soon these colleges are going to be regulated and most likely banned and I do not want their certificates on my wall. as the law stands ANYONE can call themself a naturopath.AWFUL. be careful out there with these people - don't be fooled by loads of certificates - I could give myself one!!
To not have a BM for a month is VERY serious indeed. I was living away from home and had I had any idea how bad it was I would never have let it go that long. You can have complications with blood poisoning from all the toxins. Moreoever - when you are very C - you put the rest of the body's elimination channels under immense pressure - the liver, kidneys, skin, lungs...its a bad state of affairs. I will never let myself reach that point. That why I always advise people starting on a new regime to whip out the poos with suppositories - to start on a cleaner slate that one months poo!!
Lots of love XXXX

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 552 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 22229

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review