All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Back from the doctor---I'm in shock
      #146693 - 02/04/05 11:32 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Ok, I have to take a deep breath.

I went to see this doctor of physical medicine and rehabilitation this morning for the continuing back pain I've been having---and it did not go well.

I tell him that the pain is waking me up every night, even after taking 2 muscle relaxants and 4 Advil. I told him he probably thought I was crazy since I'd seen two other doctors (both orthopaedists) and they both told me they didn't see anything wrong with my back.

I brought with me copies of the X-rays the last doctor had taken. He pulls them out of the envelope, takes one look at them, and he gets really serious. This is how the conversation went (with my thoughts in parenthesis.)

Doctor: I'm just going to cut through the bull and tell you like it is because I don't know how else to say this, but I can't believe 2 doctors told you this X-ray is normal. This is not a normal X-ray.

My thoughts--- (What did he just say? I must have arthritis afterall.)

Me to him: What did you just say?

Doctor: This is not a normal X-ray. There is something here this is not right.

My thoughts---(Surely he's kidding, right? This is a joke. I can't believe I'm hearing this.)

Doctor: Look, he tells me as he points to the bottom of the X-ray. There is a mass, something white, in the middle of this disc. There's something wrong ----(I heard the word "degenerative" and "mass" and my mind checked out at this point.)

Doctor: I want you to show me where the pain is.

Me: Right here (as I point to my lower back, above my tailbone.)

Doctor: That's where I see a problem on the X-ray.

Me: (Don't cry! Be strong! I'm not gonnna cry! Is this real---is this really happening?)

He says we need to do an MRI ASAP, a nerve test, and some blood tests. He asks me what I thought were some odd questions (totally unrelated to back pain), and I answer. I can't for the life of me remember what those questions were.

He apologizes for the medical community---saying he can't believe 2 doctors have told me there is nothing wrong. He said back pain that wakes you up from a deep sleep should've been a huge red flag to them! He says he can't believe they've not ordered more tests, especially knowing that I've been sleeping in a recliner since Christmas.

He says he will get to the bottom of this, that once he has the tests results, he wants me back in the office for a Pow-Wow and he would go from there to see what course of action he would take.

I told him I know I've gained a lot of weight in the past year (because I can't exercise), and I know that's probably contributing to my problem. He says, "No, this is not related to your weight."

I then tell him I have problems with my feet, and that my right foot hurts and that maybe this back pain is caused from that. He says, "No, that may be contributing to your problem, but that is not the cause of it."

(I think to myself, He knows what the problem is. He's just not saying!")

I tell him that when the pain wakes me up at night, that I can hardly turn over in bed to get up and into the chair, that my brain tells me to do it, but my body won't. He shakes his head (like he understands what I'm talking about) and looks worried.

He tells me he's very conservative and hardly ever prescribes medicine, but that I need to sleep through the night. He writes me a prescription for Lortab and tells me to take it at bedtime until he gets the test results back.

I had the blood work done and I'm waiting for authorization from my insurance company before the MRI can be scheduled. I see him back in his office on Feb. 18.

Now the waiting game. It's going to be a long 2 weeks. Please add me to your prayer list.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Back from the doctor---I'm in shock new
      #146697 - 02/04/05 11:37 AM
abuss

Reged: 01/13/05
Loc: Lake Crystal, MN

I will definitely be praying for you...My mother-in-law had a mass on her back almost in the same spot you are describing and she had surgery this summer to remove it and it was benign. She was laid up for a short while, but seemed to recooperate fairly quickly and she's 65. I hope all goes well for you and that you'll be able to sleep through the night now.

#146698 - 02/04/05 11:38 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

I will pray for you. HUGS!!!!! Hopefully it will be something they can take care of quick and easy.

Sending prayers you way,
Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

BIG HUGS!! new
      #146700 - 02/04/05 11:48 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Did he mention what he was testing for? You poor thing, he shouldn't have scared you like that. What a relief though to finally find a doctor who can diagnose you!

Good luck with your test results. I'm glad you kept persevering after 2 quacks told you it was nothing!! {{{{BIIGG HUUUUUGS}}}}}}

~nelly~

#146703 - 02/04/05 11:55 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Oh BL, I'm so sorry but at least you have a dr now that is doing test and he will get to the bottom of this!! I would be SO mad at those other dr's!!! I can't believe you have had to suffer so long in pain because they didn't take the time to read your x-ray correctly!!

Hopefully, the Lortab will help you sleep, I know its a pretty powerful pain pill so it should knock you out! Hang in there, it will be a long 2 weeks but at least you are going to get to the bottom of all this pain finally!

Big, big hugs!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#146718 - 02/04/05 12:23 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Oh no! Atleast you found this guy... you are in my thoughts BL! I hope everything turns out ok. That is good that he gave you that prescription, atleast you can get a decent nights sleep now.

--------------------
-Sheri

#146724 - 02/04/05 12:51 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

BL...I honestly don't know what to say.

I care. I'm here. You have my e-mail address. You're not alone...we are ALL praying for you! *hugs*

If he thought it was an emergency btw...he would've sent you straight to the ER. I hope that helps a little...

Thank G-d you found a good doc! I hope he's nice? Supportive? He sounds it...

We love you BL ********hugs*********

Take care of yourself, and keep us posted!

Sending love and prayers your way,

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Oh wow BL! new
      #146732 - 02/04/05 01:10 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I'm so glad you had a visit with this doctor!!!! I can not believe how those other doctors missed this! How terrible! I am so sorry! Now, hopefully, you will get to the bottom of this and be on the road to recovery! You have a good nights sleep tonight BL and keep us updated on how things go! I'll say a prayer for you too, for good measure!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#146736 - 02/04/05 01:14 PM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

I'm so sorry that you are worrying and suffering. Even though you're scared and nervous right now, it's better to finally find out exactly what's causing this and get the treatment on board. In this day and age, almost everything is fixable.

My husband has severe back pain and is on Lortabs and Amitriptiline? to help him sleep due to pain also. I hope you are able to get some sound rest.

I will be thinking about you and praying for you.
Terri

BL, I think everything will be OK....... new
      #146737 - 02/04/05 01:16 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi BL,

I don't think you really have anything to worry about. I think there are lots of ways to treat degenerative disks other than surgery. There are so many breakthroughs in treating back problems these days. I certainly don't think it is anything life threatening and it's probably a good thing that you found out what it is so you can start having it treated.

I can't believe the other docs didn't see this. The MRI should really tell what it is more clearly.

My son just had surgery on his upper back/neck in the cervical area.....he had really bad herniated disks that were protuding into his spinal cord. He was losing muscle mass in his left arm and having lots of pain in the neck and numbness in the fingers. The doc said after his surgery he should return to normal. There is a several week recovery period but after that he should be as good as new. BTW, he is on Lortab pain pills, too.

I'm wishing you the best of luck and keep us posted on what happens. Hopefully you can get this fixed so you won't be in such pain.

Hugs
Barbie

--------------------

oh my!!! *HUG* new
      #146750 - 02/04/05 01:25 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I have degeneritive disc disease.. this seems to be common these days though- I saw 3 docs before a Chiropractor found it in x-rays and then sent me to another regular doc- he is treating me, but he wanted me to have the medical diagnosis on file who believed me.. my GP did but no orthopods.. I can't believe the medical community.. I thought I was a small example, but here you are with even worse problems and being blown off by them too!

I am so sorry you are dealing wiht this and I hope its soemthing that can be speedily resolved for you...

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Thanks to all of you! new
      #146766 - 02/04/05 01:41 PM
BL

Thank you all for your replies---and the hope you've given me. I know it's not life-threatening or he would've sent me to the ER immediately, but I was just so in shock when he said all of this. It was so unexpected after the lack of concern I received from the other 2 doctors! Talk about feeling like someone hit you in the head with a brick!

I am looking forward to sleeping through the night tonight (in my bed and not in a chair), but now I'm worried about getting addicted to the pain medicine.

Lortab questions new
      #146768 - 02/04/05 01:44 PM
BL

Although I'm delighted at the thought of being painfree tonight---and sleeping an entire night, I'm scared to take the painkiller, Lortab.

Two concerns----I understand it can be addictive, and it can cause constipation. Great! Just what I need! I've finally seen some improvement recently in my IBS-C. I don't want to have bad C again.

Help! Please share your experience with this medication, if you've taken it.

Thanks in advance.

I'm sorry BL. You're in my thoughts and prayers -nt- new
      #146769 - 02/04/05 01:46 PM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

--------------------

Re: Lortab questions new
      #146776 - 02/04/05 01:56 PM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

I haven't personally used Lortabs, but my husband has. He hasn't had any problems taking them. He's been using them everyday for over 2 years and what he can't stand is pain; and these help him so much.

Maybe you could try them tonight to at least get a good night's rest and see how they work for you. My husband takes them round the clock, but you could probably get by with just using them at night.

I've always been afraid of becoming addicted to pills, too, and I only use what I absolutely have to, so I understand your fear. But, why not try it for one night and see how you do? My daughter had to be on pain pills recently and she was afraid of them, too. But, she only needed them for a few weeks and then stopped them with no problem.
I'll be thinking of you,
Terri

#146784 - 02/04/05 02:06 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

You have been added to my list sweetie... WOW... Too bad he can't tell you WHAT he is THINKING it might be........

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Lortab questions new
      #146798 - 02/04/05 02:36 PM
barbie

Hi BL,

My son is taking Lortab after his surgery and has had no problem. The doc said you only become addicted if you take them for a long period of time and not just temporarily to relieve pain or to help you sleep. I think it will be OK for you to take them on a short term basis. If you are concerned, maybe you could just take half the dose and see what it does.

It might be worth the "C" for a good night's sleep.

Let us know what happens.

Good Luck
Barbie

--------------------

Thank you, Terri and Barbie. I appreciate your input. --nt-- new
      #146810 - 02/04/05 03:24 PM
BL

#146859 - 02/04/05 05:42 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

That's tough to hear, isn't it? I would have demanded to know what he thought it was?

I hope you find out very soon and try not to let your mind wander.

#146863 - 02/04/05 06:17 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I'm sorry you are having to deal with the physical pain and now the waiting game.

Can you call him and ask him what his thought are on what is going on? I know some doctors are hesitant to give any type of "diagnosis" without full testing, but he might give you some sort of possibilities.

Try not to get yourself worked up over this, as hard as that may be. Try to concentrate on the fact that you finally have a doctor who is going to get to the root of your pain and will be able to treat you and give you some relief.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

I took Lortab after a horrible car accident... new
      #146864 - 02/04/05 06:17 PM
XXXXX

Reged: 11/23/04
Loc: South East Texas

I don't remember any additional "C"...of course the stress from the accident would have caused "C" anyway.

#146872 - 02/04/05 07:19 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Of course you'll be in my thoughts! Wow. What an awful thing to be told when you're not expecting bad news! I can't believe 2 doctors mis-diagnosed the problem! That's just unbelievable. I really hope they find out once and for all what's going on and that the problem is fixed. Good luck and keep us updated on what's happening. Big hugs for you.

--------------------
Amy

#146894 - 02/04/05 09:23 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

So sorry to hear that! Try really hard to relax and try not to worry about it for the next two weeks while you wait for the results. You'll be in my thoughts

Kelly

Re Prayers for you BL honey !!! new
      #146895 - 02/04/05 09:26 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

OMGosh, I am not surprised that you have been passed around like stale bread. THat is very unprofessional and rude!!

I like this guy, at least he seems to care and want to find out what the problem really is. I sure hope you can get some rest, good rest. You are in my prayers honey, and big huge {{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}!!!!!

#146896 - 02/04/05 09:28 PM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

I'm sorry to hear that. It must be scary, but I know you're strong... because you're on here... and because IBS hardens everyone up!
I guess if it's a *thing* instead of *no*thing... then there's a solution/treatment for it.
I know you'll be okay.

--------------------
*Emma*

Oh my goodness BL new
      #146899 - 02/04/05 10:35 PM

Unregistered

I would be so crazy with anticipation if I were you! I can't believe what you are going through and I wish I knew what to say, but at least you've finally found a doctor that can help you. If he's not worried about it being 2 weeks until you're back in there then he must not be THAT worried about it. I will definitely be keeping you in my prayers and please keep us updated and come back and unload on us anytime you're feeling stressed out or worried because I imagine that that is a lot to deal with. Please take care and I hope at least you can enjoy a good night's sleep. Big big big hugs and thoughts and love!

Oh wow, BL... you're in my thoughts and prayers! -nt- new
      #146910 - 02/05/05 05:03 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I took the pain medication and it didn't work new
      #146921 - 02/05/05 06:58 AM
BL

How can that happen? I took the Lortab before bedtime and everyone had warned me that it would knock me out. Well, I was up for hours trying to go to sleep! (wide awake!) I tossed and turned for the longest time.

I finally went to sleep---and then woke up with the pain again. It wasn't quite as intense as before, but it was still bad enough that I could not sleep in the bed. So I crawled into the recliner again!

I was so disappointed that I still had the pain! I never imagined that that would happen. How can that happen? The only thing I can think of is maybe I have a pinched nerve---and the pain med doesn't work for that.

Ok, maybe now people will believe me when I tell them I'm in pain. I think some of my friends were beginning to think I was a hypochondriac. Even my mother kept telling me that if I would just relax that maybe I could go back to sleep at night (like it was all in my head!)

I'm tired of people telling me to just take a warm bath or a
couple of Tylenol. It's not that simple. This pain will not go away at night.

Re: I took the pain medication and it didn't work new
      #146929 - 02/05/05 08:29 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Sometimes people have different reactions to medications. Could it be that it wasn't strong enough for you and instead of knocking you it did the opposite?

I have bad insomnia and have tried lots of things for it. I have also been told to take hot baths, try to relax, etc. Are people kidding??? I have found that with me some pain/sleep aid meds either don't work, make me hyper or work but leave me as a zombie the next day.

Don't let anyone make you feel bad! You're in pain and it's VERY real. If they felt what you do they would act the same way. I hope your husband is supportive of you! You need it.

Re: Back pain ... new
      #146930 - 02/05/05 08:30 AM
gigi

Hey BL ! So sorry that the Lortab is not working for you, if it is keeping you awake the DR. needs to know. He can give you something else that might work better. I totally understand back pain, and I know you are hurting.

Have you gone back on your anti-depressants yet? I am worried that this may not be the time for you to go off. I do understand about that too, when you went off of yours, I decided that it might be a good time for me to do the same. After this last week, the stress has been inexplicable, I did go back on mine, it was the right decision for me. Being BP, I know you know this, but I just want to say it for you, doing everything possible to remain mentally stable is of the utmost importance for you right now.

Please think about this, if you have made changes please let me know, I am concerned about the stress heaped on you by your DR's appt. Please don't take this wrong, I am not against you, I am for you. The pain is hard enough to deal with. I am here for you girl !

love to you, gayla

#146941 - 02/05/05 08:58 AM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Oh BL...I can't imagine how you must be feeling. I'd be a wreck too! I can't understand why doctors are that way. Knowing what's wrong but giving you no inclination of what it is. Maybe he just wants to be sure what really is wrong instead of worrying you. (too late for that though huh!)

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers that all results come back fine! Take care and try not to worry!!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Gayla new
      #146942 - 02/05/05 08:59 AM
BL

Gayla, thank you. You are so sweet to be thinking of me when your family is going through such a hard time.

Thankfully, I started back on my BP med several weeks ago. My doctor told me the same thing you did---that this was not the time for me to be stopping it. He is the one who encouraged me to see another doctor about the back pain. He said I must get my health issues resolved, and he stressed how important it is for me to get some sleep. Sleep deprivation is bad enough on anyone, but when you have BP, it can make matters worse. Sometimes it can bring on a manic or depressive state.

I am very down today---after thinking about my doctor's appt. My husband didn't say much at all to me last night about it and i needed to talk about it. I am scared to death that I have something that will be disabling. I had hoped this back pain was temporary, but now I'm beginning to wonder. I kept thinking it was just a pulled muscle and I needed to give it time. But if the doctor saw something unusual on the X-ray, now I'm wondering .....

Why this ever go away? I don't want to live my life in pain.
I told myself last night before bedtime that if I have to take pain medication every day, then so be it. And then I took it, and it didn't work.

I'm sorry, but I need to vent. Guess what? I wanted a good cry---now I'm getting it. The tears are flowing and they won't stop.

Re: Its OK honey, new
      #146949 - 02/05/05 09:14 AM
gigi

Crying is ok, we all need to do it now and then.

I know this is easy to say, but try not to dwell on the what-ifs. You know how it is with MI, a moment at a time, then a minute, and so on. So just treat this as one of those moment to moment things. Love on your little mess makers, they are always ready to share thier love with you.

Even if they are dogs, sometimes thats the best love you can get.

Our poor h, if they can't fix-it with a hammer or drill, they get over whelmed so easily. Mine does acts that way too!

BIG HUGE HUGS TO YOU TODAY HONEY, {{{{{{{{{{HUG,HUG,HUG}}}}}}}}}}}}, and lots of prayers!

God Bless YOU !!

#146951 - 02/05/05 09:17 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Ooh- I'm sorry your doctor gave you such scary news but I'm really glad that one of them finally listened to you and you're on your way to not suffering the pain anymore. Hopefully the medicine helps!!

So sorry, BL...... new
      #146955 - 02/05/05 09:28 AM
barbie

I know lots of people with back problems and they all have seemed to get some relief with different types of treatment.There are so many new treatments for back pain now.

I'm sure your doc will help you.....you need to be persistent and let him know how much pain you are in.

I'm so sorry the Lortab didn't work. Ask your doc to prescribe another type of pain pill. Each person has a different tolerance to different pills and maybe another one will work. I know this must be discouraging for you.

Hang in there, I know this is a tough time for you.....I'm sending lots of hugs your way.

Barbie

--------------------

Gayla, funny you should say that new
      #146963 - 02/05/05 09:43 AM
BL

about my dogs, because that's just what I did. I went out in the backyard, ran and played with the beagles. They love to play chase! We are having a beautiful, warm sunny day that feels like spring.

Now, I feel much better! They are therapy for me!!! They're always happy to see me. (unlike my 18-year-old son whom I asked for a hug last night and he shrugs his shoulders and walks away~)

Puppy love is good! Even if they do have bad breath!

{{{HUGS}}} new
      #146992 - 02/05/05 12:58 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I'm so sorry BL. Let your doc know about this ASAP...at least he's taking you seriously!

Drugs are funny though, maybe it just wasn't the one for you. And maybe you do have a pinched nerve...those are HORRIBLE.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 191 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3872

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review