All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Back from the doctor---I'm in shock
      #146693 - 02/04/05 11:32 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Ok, I have to take a deep breath.

I went to see this doctor of physical medicine and rehabilitation this morning for the continuing back pain I've been having---and it did not go well.

I tell him that the pain is waking me up every night, even after taking 2 muscle relaxants and 4 Advil. I told him he probably thought I was crazy since I'd seen two other doctors (both orthopaedists) and they both told me they didn't see anything wrong with my back.

I brought with me copies of the X-rays the last doctor had taken. He pulls them out of the envelope, takes one look at them, and he gets really serious. This is how the conversation went (with my thoughts in parenthesis.)

Doctor: I'm just going to cut through the bull and tell you like it is because I don't know how else to say this, but I can't believe 2 doctors told you this X-ray is normal. This is not a normal X-ray.

My thoughts--- (What did he just say? I must have arthritis afterall.)

Me to him: What did you just say?

Doctor: This is not a normal X-ray. There is something here this is not right.

My thoughts---(Surely he's kidding, right? This is a joke. I can't believe I'm hearing this.)

Doctor: Look, he tells me as he points to the bottom of the X-ray. There is a mass, something white, in the middle of this disc. There's something wrong ----(I heard the word "degenerative" and "mass" and my mind checked out at this point.)

Doctor: I want you to show me where the pain is.

Me: Right here (as I point to my lower back, above my tailbone.)

Doctor: That's where I see a problem on the X-ray.

Me: (Don't cry! Be strong! I'm not gonnna cry! Is this real---is this really happening?)

He says we need to do an MRI ASAP, a nerve test, and some blood tests. He asks me what I thought were some odd questions (totally unrelated to back pain), and I answer. I can't for the life of me remember what those questions were.

He apologizes for the medical community---saying he can't believe 2 doctors have told me there is nothing wrong. He said back pain that wakes you up from a deep sleep should've been a huge red flag to them! He says he can't believe they've not ordered more tests, especially knowing that I've been sleeping in a recliner since Christmas.

He says he will get to the bottom of this, that once he has the tests results, he wants me back in the office for a Pow-Wow and he would go from there to see what course of action he would take.

I told him I know I've gained a lot of weight in the past year (because I can't exercise), and I know that's probably contributing to my problem. He says, "No, this is not related to your weight."

I then tell him I have problems with my feet, and that my right foot hurts and that maybe this back pain is caused from that. He says, "No, that may be contributing to your problem, but that is not the cause of it."

(I think to myself, He knows what the problem is. He's just not saying!")

I tell him that when the pain wakes me up at night, that I can hardly turn over in bed to get up and into the chair, that my brain tells me to do it, but my body won't. He shakes his head (like he understands what I'm talking about) and looks worried.

He tells me he's very conservative and hardly ever prescribes medicine, but that I need to sleep through the night. He writes me a prescription for Lortab and tells me to take it at bedtime until he gets the test results back.

I had the blood work done and I'm waiting for authorization from my insurance company before the MRI can be scheduled. I see him back in his office on Feb. 18.

Now the waiting game. It's going to be a long 2 weeks. Please add me to your prayer list.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Back from the doctor---I'm in shock new
      #146697 - 02/04/05 11:37 AM
abuss

Reged: 01/13/05
Loc: Lake Crystal, MN

I will definitely be praying for you...My mother-in-law had a mass on her back almost in the same spot you are describing and she had surgery this summer to remove it and it was benign. She was laid up for a short while, but seemed to recooperate fairly quickly and she's 65. I hope all goes well for you and that you'll be able to sleep through the night now.

#146698 - 02/04/05 11:38 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

I will pray for you. HUGS!!!!! Hopefully it will be something they can take care of quick and easy.

Sending prayers you way,
Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

BIG HUGS!! new
      #146700 - 02/04/05 11:48 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Did he mention what he was testing for? You poor thing, he shouldn't have scared you like that. What a relief though to finally find a doctor who can diagnose you!

Good luck with your test results. I'm glad you kept persevering after 2 quacks told you it was nothing!! {{{{BIIGG HUUUUUGS}}}}}}

~nelly~

#146703 - 02/04/05 11:55 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Oh BL, I'm so sorry but at least you have a dr now that is doing test and he will get to the bottom of this!! I would be SO mad at those other dr's!!! I can't believe you have had to suffer so long in pain because they didn't take the time to read your x-ray correctly!!

Hopefully, the Lortab will help you sleep, I know its a pretty powerful pain pill so it should knock you out! Hang in there, it will be a long 2 weeks but at least you are going to get to the bottom of all this pain finally!

Big, big hugs!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#146718 - 02/04/05 12:23 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Oh no! Atleast you found this guy... you are in my thoughts BL! I hope everything turns out ok. That is good that he gave you that prescription, atleast you can get a decent nights sleep now.

--------------------
-Sheri

#146724 - 02/04/05 12:51 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

BL...I honestly don't know what to say.

I care. I'm here. You have my e-mail address. You're not alone...we are ALL praying for you! *hugs*

If he thought it was an emergency btw...he would've sent you straight to the ER. I hope that helps a little...

Thank G-d you found a good doc! I hope he's nice? Supportive? He sounds it...

We love you BL ********hugs*********

Take care of yourself, and keep us posted!

Sending love and prayers your way,

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Oh wow BL! new
      #146732 - 02/04/05 01:10 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I'm so glad you had a visit with this doctor!!!! I can not believe how those other doctors missed this! How terrible! I am so sorry! Now, hopefully, you will get to the bottom of this and be on the road to recovery! You have a good nights sleep tonight BL and keep us updated on how things go! I'll say a prayer for you too, for good measure!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#146736 - 02/04/05 01:14 PM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

I'm so sorry that you are worrying and suffering. Even though you're scared and nervous right now, it's better to finally find out exactly what's causing this and get the treatment on board. In this day and age, almost everything is fixable.

My husband has severe back pain and is on Lortabs and Amitriptiline? to help him sleep due to pain also. I hope you are able to get some sound rest.

I will be thinking about you and praying for you.
Terri

BL, I think everything will be OK....... new
      #146737 - 02/04/05 01:16 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi BL,

I don't think you really have anything to worry about. I think there are lots of ways to treat degenerative disks other than surgery. There are so many breakthroughs in treating back problems these days. I certainly don't think it is anything life threatening and it's probably a good thing that you found out what it is so you can start having it treated.

I can't believe the other docs didn't see this. The MRI should really tell what it is more clearly.

My son just had surgery on his upper back/neck in the cervical area.....he had really bad herniated disks that were protuding into his spinal cord. He was losing muscle mass in his left arm and having lots of pain in the neck and numbness in the fingers. The doc said after his surgery he should return to normal. There is a several week recovery period but after that he should be as good as new. BTW, he is on Lortab pain pills, too.

I'm wishing you the best of luck and keep us posted on what happens. Hopefully you can get this fixed so you won't be in such pain.

Hugs
Barbie

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 666 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3873

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review