All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
First trip to the counselor and very nervous
      #145631 - 02/02/05 07:38 AM
RnbwConnection78

Reged: 05/05/03
Loc: Bensalem, PA (right outside of Philadelphia)

Today I have an appointment at the school counseling center. I am really nervous because I have never been to a counselor before for anything. I have kinda been overwhelmed here at school and I need someone to talk to that will actually listen. I feel pretty lonely because partying like a normal person is out of the question. I am sick a lot and that is kinda depressing. I miss a lot of classes and thus am afraid I will fail out of classes regardless of the fact that I am a pretty smart chickie. I got a 3.74 last semester. I still haven't really accepted my IBS. I know that is really silly because after all, I am the one that spends the night in the bathroom. It's just that I am 23 and I still can't accept that I have this chronic illness for life. I am just so scared that it's really going to interfere with my dreams. There are times when I really want to be in class and I just can't be. argh. I am hoping they can give me good ways to get rid of some of my stress so maybe my IBS will be improved. My boyfriend doesn't know that I am going. I feel guilty for not telling him but I don't want to worry him. God I hope this goes okay.

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Good for you!!! I know it's going to be OK!! new
      #145659 - 02/02/05 08:07 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Hey girlfriend, don't worry! You won't be overwhelmed forever! No need to tell BF everything, sometimes a girl has to keep some stuff just for herself, you know? It's natural to be stressed at age 23, it's a hard time to get over. The IBS is bad now, but it'll get better with time. The stress from school won't last forever, because you're going to get into a rythem and your tummy will cope with time. You so don't deserve to be sick and you're doing nothing wrong. You're a bright, intelligent person and good things are headed your way!

Talking it out really helps you sort everything out, and crying and being emotional is a natural part of that, so be secure in the knowledge that you're doing a good thing for yourself.
{{{{{{{{{{{{{BIG HUUUUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

~nelly~

good for you! new
      #145699 - 02/02/05 08:38 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

you'll do just fine and they will help you cope a lot more then just the message boards can- if they are good!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

I totally identify with you... new
      #147107 - 02/06/05 12:01 AM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

I always feel out of place at school too (I go college in Southern CA) because I can't party either and it seems like that's what everyone else is doing!! It sucks when IBS interferes with classes and other activities; I know how hard it can be to deal with being sick and all of the other stressors as well I think it's great that you are going to see someone about how you're feeling, I bet it will help you a LOT. I've been seeing a counselor for the past year and a half in school and he has definitely helped me deal with anxiety and stuff. I'm sure it will make you feel better, and you probably don't need to be nervous! I do have one small piece of advice about school counseling centers: I don't know what yours is like, but ours has some interns that can counsel students and I had one of them for my very first session and I did NOT like him at all!! So, if you get someone you don't like or is an intern try to ask for someone else until you find someone that you can mesh well with. It will make a huge difference. Best of luck and hugs!

--------------------
~Angela

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 320 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 289

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review