All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)
Nelly new
      #140143 - 01/19/05 06:18 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I'm sorry. I feel your pain. I know what you are talking about with the haircut. I never liked looking in a mirror either---and I definitely never wanted anyone to see my profile. If I was at a party or a football game, I would always turn to face whoever I was talking to ----so that they would not see me from the side.

It's been 5 years since I had the surgery---and sometimes I forget that I've had it. This little voice inside of me says "turn to the side so they don't see your profile." Then I remember I don't have to turn a certain way! After living with a horrible nose for 40 years, it took (and still takes) some getting used to the new me.

As for the cost, that was 5 years ago, so I don't know what it would cost today. But like I said, had I known how bad the surgery recuperation was, I would've never gone through with it. It WAS HORRIBLE! What they show on tv is not realistic at all. When they show those women at the gym exercising several weeks afterwards, I just laugh. You can't even bend forward or lean over because the pain is so unbearable!!!! And of course, the plastic surgeon will tell you the surgery's a piece of cake. If he told you what it was really going to be like, he'd scare the crap out of everyone considering it.

It took me about 6 months to recuperate, and a full year for my new nose's swelling to go down. My sister tried to tell me how bad it was, and I was determined to do it anyway. I'm very stubborn!

I'm definitely enjoying the benefits of the surgery, but I went through HELL to get to this point.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Nelly, I forgot to mention new
      #140152 - 01/19/05 06:42 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

that the rhinoplasty (nose job) and the surgery for the deviated septum are two different things (meaning, doctors charge separately for them.) And many plastic surgeons won't fix the deviated septum. Most are trained only to do the rhinoplasty surgery on the exterior of the nose. The deviated septum repair is a whole 'nother ballgame!!! That is usually done by an ENT doctor (at the same time.)

I should've had both done, but I thought my deviated septum was not that bad. But since the surgery reduced the size of my nose, my deviated septum problem is now much worse. (Make the nostrils smaller and closer together, and you don't breathe as well, if your septum is deviated.) This was a big mistake I made---and being a perfectionist, I beat myself up about it after the surgery---big time!

I know this sounds crazy, but I started having panic attacks after the surgery---since my nose was so swollen and one side was totally blocked. After breathing a certain way for 40 years, my new way of breathing did not feel natural to me at all. I felt panicky!

If it wasn't one thing, it was another .....

Nope! new
      #140153 - 01/19/05 06:43 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

I don't have anything against people who do it, I just would never do it myself!
I hated that show The Swan the first time around, because they did it for people who 'were depressed about themselves'. I just thought, why couldn't they do it for people who NEEDED it...like someone who lost a breast due to cancer or something...I don't know...

Anyways, I think old people are so cute, and I would hate to not see how I will *really* look!

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: I agree! new
      #140158 - 01/19/05 06:50 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

I have a tiny little nose with a bump and ski jump! LOL. Growing up I NEVER wore my hair in a pony tail EVER because I hated my profile...not like people couldn't see my nose when my hair was down.....I just thought it exaggerated it or something...
Now I don't mind at all - it's kinda cute! :P

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: I agree! new
      #140159 - 01/19/05 07:01 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

It's funny because my last two serious BF's (including the current one) have all had big noses. I kinda like them. Call me crazy.

I've thought about ... new
      #140163 - 01/19/05 07:04 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

a nose job. You can especially tell in my new pic that it hooks a little bit, not quite straight. But, my bf loves my crooked nose and so I've begun to feel better about it. I think I'll probably leave it unless I develop sinus problems again. It mostly only bothers me in pictures; I don't think people notice when they see me in person. And my nose is nice and thin, and a nice shape even though it is on the long side. I wouldn't do anything to make it smaller -- I like my big nose -- but maybe straighter!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: I've thought about ... new
      #140166 - 01/19/05 07:06 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I was just writing that I like big noses. Well, mostly on guys but there's something about them. Small, tiny noses are a bit too bizare. I had a childhood friend with the tiniest little nose and her nickname was 'no-nose'.

In gerneral though, I prefer people who don't look 'perfect'. They're FAR more interesting to look at!

Re: I've thought about ... new
      #140167 - 01/19/05 07:08 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Yeah I agree, I like big noses on guys. My bf has a good-sized honker, and I think I'd find a little-nosed guy kind of weak-looking. Is that weird?

--------------------
Amanda

Re: Oooh! Yeah, I might consider laser eye surgery... new
      #140171 - 01/19/05 07:18 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

I'm definitely doing this as soon as I have the money. My vision is worse than 20/800 in each eye! Thankfully I see almost perfectly with glasses or contacts, but I've been wearing glasses since I was 3, and contacts since I was 12. Enough already! My brother had it done 5 years ago and has never regretted it.
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

Re: You Gals... new
      #140181 - 01/19/05 07:49 PM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

Thanks Michele but I do think that the pictures I do see of you ladies y'all look beautiful. And the ones I don't see the pictures on I know you're holding out I wish America did not have this obsession about what is beautiful and what isn't. The media in this country uses women like Angelina Jolie and Jennifer Aniston as people who are "perfect." Well you know what? They aren't. Now that is not to say that Tommy here wouldn't want to date them, in fact I have a call into Jennifer Aniston now that she is single. Funny thing is, she hasn't called me back yet

Anyway back to my point...There is nothing wrong with trying to improve yourself but when I hear about people who dont have money spending tens of thousands of dollars of money to make themselves perfect, well, that is just plain sad.

That my rant for tonigh. Its just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Oh, I still have an emotional attachment to my hair. If it gets REALLYbad, I am SO shaving it off in a heartbeat.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 412 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 53749

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review