All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
I got fired as bridesmaid!
      #136968 - 01/10/05 02:42 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Met my friend for dinner today, her treat to cheer me up after my family troubles.

After dinner we went for a drink, started to chat and she relieved me of my duties of being her bridesmaid for her wedding in October. She asked me and two other girls in February 2003 and today she said that she didn't think it was fair to me to ask me to be her bridesmaid when I have so much going on ....like my family problems and my IBS. She didn't want to put pressure on me with all this going on and she didn't want to get mad with me if my tummy wasn't well when I had a fitting etc or I had family stuff going on. I mean there are three bridesmaids, how onerous a task was it going to be.

I got really upset and cried in the pub, I felt like she was saying that I was disabled or inadequate and it was horrible.

I told her that I have been happier and more together in the last three months as I can ever remember, I really felt like she was telling me that I was a mess and all over the shop. I was really mad at her for using my weakest spots as the reasons, felt like she was kicking me when I was down. This is normal for me and just because she doesn't have my problems she doesn't understand this.

Anyway, she said she'd feel stressed feeling that she was making me stressed....are you following? Anyway I left it that it was going to stress her to have me as bridesmaid I would step down, so we agreed I would do that.

I am so hurt, I have made strides in controlling my IBS and really try not to let family issues (that have been with me 15years) affect my life and to have that thrown back at me was just awful.

I don't know how I am going to face going to her wedding now, anytime she looks at me I am going to see pity in her eyes.

PLEASE SEND HUGS ASAP

--------------------
S.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I got fired as bridesmaid! new
      #136970 - 01/10/05 02:44 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

That's terrible. I'm so sorry your friend was so unable to think about your side of things. Sometimes being a bride brings out the worst in people.

How terrible Sinead! new
      #136972 - 01/10/05 02:47 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I'm so sorry! Big HUGS to you! Do you think maybe she might come around and realize that she was wrong in relieving you of your duties??

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Re: How terrible Sinead! new
      #136977 - 01/10/05 03:24 PM
cailin

You know in a sense this is a good thing. She will definitely turn into the bride from hell and she is really a perfectionist too.

I am just hurt by her approach and reasons. BF is trying to come up with ideas for me to skip the wedding but that would not be a great plan, even though it will be so hard to watch my replacement there.

--------------------
S.

#136986 - 01/10/05 03:43 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{MASSIVE HUGS!!!!!!!!!!}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Sinead, that is so not fair!!! She obviously does not get it!! How self-centered!! Give me her address and I'll go to that wedding and bash up all her gifts. Not break them, just put a dent in each and every one of them.

~nelly~

#136988 - 01/10/05 03:46 PM
cailin

Thanks Nel, I knew I could count on you. Could you maybe come early and spit in the food at the reception too?

I am not vindictive and as I said I know it will make my life a lot easier not having to do this but it was pretty hard to be told that I am not together enough to be a candidate, I mean we haven't spent any time together in AGES. I think its just that we've grown apart.

My nasty mother thinks its because I will look so much better than her in pics now that I have lost weight, she is overweight..what is she like? The bride is stunning but has pudge, trust Mam to be supportive in a MEAN way!

--------------------
S.

#136990 - 01/10/05 03:49 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Maybe she's not that great of a friend to have then!

Her loss as you seem like such a lovely person!

She obviously doesn't know you enough to know that you're perfectly capable of being a bridesmaid. DUH!

#136993 - 01/10/05 03:54 PM
Nelly

Ugh, don't you hate it when people try to be supportive and end up offending and upsetting you?? I hate that. Mind numbing violence, I say. And I'll "take care" of the food.

~nelly~ I can also sprinkle spiders down the aisle too, if you want.

Not to change the subject , but Nelly new
      #136995 - 01/10/05 04:01 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Now that you are looking for a new job, have you ever thought about being a stand up comedian!! Seriously,you absolutely crack me up!

You could even make having to leave the stage to go visit the bathroom part of the act (if need be)!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

!! Now that's an interesting suggestion!! new
      #136998 - 01/10/05 04:06 PM
Nelly

LOL! Thank you for the compliment!!!!! I don't know if I could handle the stress of stand up tho! But I would have a lot of material, if they allowed potty humor... I don't know if people could stomach stand up on IBS, tho! And I'm much funnier when I have a captive audience like you guys. Maybe once I go to prison I can hone my craft there.

~nelly~

#136999 - 01/10/05 04:11 PM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

Isn't it annoying when you trust a friend enough to tell her what's going on in your life and then she treats it like a sign of weakness!

She should know that you would be one of the strongest and most dependable people to have around her on her wedding day just because you already have to cope with so many things. Don't let it get to you, Sinead - it's her loss, not yours.

Sending you hugs!

Josephine

Re: !! Now that's an interesting suggestion!! new
      #137000 - 01/10/05 04:12 PM
cailin

Thanks SS, I strongly believe I would be a great bridesmaid. The things she was saying sounded like they were describing someone else not me!

Nelly, you always cheer me up thanks, I need a laugh...but captive audience....GROAN!

Everyone who replied, thanks for the support and nice things ...everyone else ...keep it coming!

--------------------
S.

#137001 - 01/10/05 04:13 PM
Sara-Sage

You silly gal! That's why we love ya!

#137002 - 01/10/05 04:14 PM
Sara-Sage

Who needs her! She should be way more considerate of your feelings though.

#137003 - 01/10/05 04:15 PM
Nelly

Yes, yes. Captive audience. Thank you very much everybody! I'm here all week! Tip your waitresses..!

~nelly~

#137011 - 01/10/05 04:22 PM
Augie

Sinead,

Going out on a limb here, but do you think there may be some possibility that she really is concerned for you and your well being?

Just thought I'd ask because I cannot believe someone could be that cruel to you, especially causing you to cry and not getting a clue as to how much more stress it was causing you to be treated so insensitively.

I think you hit on a key point when you said she was a perfectionist. She is trying to eliminate any possible problems in her own mind. What, is she thinking you are gonna have to run down the aisle in the middle of the ceremony to visit the bathroom? Give me a break! Sounds like she is simply a spoiled self centered person who wants everything to focus on her I guess. Like Tina said, she obviously isn't the friend you thought she was, which is also very hurtful to you now.

I don't think you need an excuse not to go to the wedding. She gave you a very good reason not to go. I don't think I could go and watch someone else take my place.

I had to go to my nieces baptism and watch my sister's friend stand in as the Godmother and to this day it upsets me when I hear my neice refer to this other person as her Godmother instead of me. It hurts to feel rejected and so easily replaced.

And it makes me mad that she did this under the ruse of taking you out to cheer you up when what she fully had in mind was to lay all this on you instead!

I'm so sorry you were hurt by her insensitivity. And I know it probably doesn't lessen the hurt by saying "she's the one who's losing out" more than you. But that's the truth.

You are a nice person and she truly is losing out by not having you as part of her day.

Big hugs to you. Sorry you had this happen after such a nice day you shared with us a couple days ago

The world is just full of insensitive people

--------------------
~ Beth

#137042 - 01/10/05 06:05 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

That sucks!! I got fired as a maid of honour a couple years ago (although my friend turned into a major bridezilla and finally snapped out of it and re-hired me!!).

Do you really want to be a bridesmaid? It sounds like you do. If that's the case then maybe you could talk to her and tell her how important it is for you to be a part of everything.

You're in a tough situation. *HUGS*

#137050 - 01/10/05 06:14 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I can't believe it! Big hugs from me!!!!!!! I've had some similar things happen where family ask something of me then change their mind and blame it on my IBS. It's so hurtful. Just because we get sick a lot doesn't mean we're incapable of living and being there for them!

--------------------
Amy

#137063 - 01/10/05 07:41 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04

I am sorry. That seems so catty and girlish to do that. She doesn't seem very mature. You know what though, being a bridesmaid is not as fun as you think it will be. There is the cost and hosting a shower and all the whining the bride does and the whole day becomes so stressful. It was one of my best decisions to not be in my sister's wedding last fall. And I got D really bad at the wedding even without being in it. Yet I was fine last year as a bridesmaid- no D just bloat. So maybe you will get an opportunity to be in a wedding that is calmer and friendlier and for someone really sweet and the serenity and happiness will make your tummy and everything happy too. (do you follow? I mean cuz at my sis's wedding it was crazy and I got sick and at the other I was happy and fine ) Hugs!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#137067 - 01/10/05 07:50 PM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

Well, now I've heard it all. Nelly, if you need any help bashing presents, let me know.

Sinead, I just think that was so insensitive and cruel of your friend. I just don't get it!!!!!!

#137087 - 01/10/05 08:44 PM

Unregistered

I can't believe what I'm reading! What kind of friend would do that! I would definitely be so very insulted by that kind of treatment, especially when it's like you're getting kicked while you're down. And what a kick in the face after doing so well with your IBS and then for her to say that it's get in the way of her wedding. I think she's just really ignorant to think that you wouldn't be able to handle it. I'm so mad at her for you! I'm surprised you kept your cool and didn't storm out and say you weren't going to the wedding. It's almost like maybe she needed to make someone else a bridesmaid and pulled excuses out of her butt to fire you. This is an outrage! Try not to let this get you down if that's possible because we all know how far you've come and you know that for yourself too and that's no way for her to treat a friend. HUGE HUGE hugs for you and don't make her a bridesmaid in your wedding
MAybe the IBS gods will strike her down now that she's been so mean about it. Hugs hugs hugs Sinead!

Bridesmaid- Josephine new
      #137106 - 01/11/05 01:55 AM
cailin

Quote:

Isn't it annoying when you trust a friend enough to tell her what's going on in your life and then she treats it like a sign of weakness! YES!!

She should know that you would be one of the strongest and most dependable people to have around her on her wedding day just because you already have to cope with so many things. So true! Don't let it get to you, Sinead - it's her loss, not yours. That is really sweet and I tend to agree, I would be a great Bridesmaid, I am very sociable, am organised, don't take a bad photo..ideal candidate!

Sending you hugs! Thanks so much Josephine

--------------------
S.

Augie, Bridesmaid reply new
      #137108 - 01/11/05 02:01 AM
cailin

Quote:

Going out on a limb here, but do you think there may be some possibility that she really is concerned for you and your well being?

Honestly, I think she thinks she is concerned but has other motives and has convinced herself that this is her motive

Quote:

What, is she thinking you are gonna have to run down the aisle in the middle of the ceremony to visit the bathroom? Give me a break! I don't even get D attacks, just pain and she knows this Sounds like she is simply a spoiled self centered person who wants everything to focus on her I guess. BRIDEZILLA! I agree, its a lot like she hasn't had many problems in her life, her Dad died when she was young but she doesn't remember that but she hasn't really had to deal with any traumas and has never wanted for anything

Like Tina said, she obviously isn't the friend you thought she was, which is also very hurtful to you now.
Yes, she is a very sweet, kind person but this is just strange!

Quote:

I don't think you need an excuse not to go to the wedding. She gave you a very good reason not to go. I don't think I could go and watch someone else take my place.

Padhraig doesn't want us to go at all, he is dead against it. I think it will be hard but unless I have a fantastic reason I will be going. Will be a very strange day, especially as one of my best friends is a bridesmaid

Thanks so much Augie for all you had to say, I am quite mad at the whole thing at the moment, but need to focus on going away this weekend instead...yippee!

--------------------
S.

Tamara new
      #137109 - 01/11/05 02:06 AM
cailin

Here we don't have showers or pay for our own dresses. Bridesmaid organise the hen night (bachelorette party) and help out with the arrangements. The cost would be in days off to do wedding related stuff and cost to my sanity too!
It'll just be odd to be there and see someone else doing my job that's all...and of course feeling inadequate on account of it and trying to explain to everyone why I am not doing it....

--------------------
S.

Kimm - Bridesmaid new
      #137110 - 01/11/05 02:11 AM
cailin

Oh I don't think I will be re-hired! And if I am I will refuse graciously.
I don't really want to be a bridesmaid because it would be such a nightmare, I just wish I had never been asked in the first place and that would have been fine, but I have been thinking about being bridesmaid at this wedding for two years!

Thanks for the hugs. Hope you are doing OK with not smoking and are sticking to it! Good luck with that and thanks so much again

--------------------
S.

TeeCee/Amy new
      #137111 - 01/11/05 02:17 AM
cailin

Thanks girls, I don't get it either! Everyone has made me feel so much better though, THANKS!

--------------------
S.

Brittany new
      #137112 - 01/11/05 02:20 AM
cailin

I KNOW ! (said in the style of Monica from Friends) What is she like? I am insulted and hurt, to say the least!
I have two sisters so she was never in the running to be a bridesmaid for mine.
I agree about her needing to make someone else bridesmaid, that will be confirmed by whoever she announces is my replacement (god help them!)
She is a nice girl, I think she just completely misunderstood my issues and my life, to her cost believe me!

Thanks for your hugs Brittany, How are you doing today?

--------------------
S.

#137114 - 01/11/05 03:16 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

Now, its too bad the wedding is not this week. With the way I am feeling I'd fly to Ireland just to caough all over the food, then fly back. Okay, seriously not as good as Nelly's suggestions on what she would do but hey I can't really compete with Nel.

Honestly though Sinead, your friend so copped out for no good reason. Although you would make a wonder and more importantly beautiful bridesmaid, you don't need this kind of crap from a "friend." I'm all about respect and you were disrespected and I don't like that.

Anyway, I think my fever has caused me to go on a rant but at least my sense of humour is intact. This is justmy opinion, I could be wrong...

--------------------

Re: Brittany new
      #137117 - 01/11/05 04:43 AM

Unregistered

Oh my gosh..I can't believe you just said "I know (in the style of Monica from Friends)" my best friend and I ALWAYS type that in emails back and forth to each other when she's away at school or in instant messengers if that's how we mean it. That's so funny!

Well I'm glad you're being level-headed about this crazy bridesmaid issue, because I think I'd be so much more upset and hurt by that. You are right though, now it's one less thing to worry about - and I say you spend the money you would have spent on a bridesmaid's dress on something else fabulous for yourself...you were going to be spending the money anyways right?? and now it won't be on some cheesy dress you'll never wear again

Thanks for asking how I'm doing. I'm feeling better more each day, but still kinda fragile if that makes sense. And now I'm all off with school starting yesterday which I'm not too thrilled about. Back to being sleepy all the time. Well this morning I'm planning to get the pedicure that I had to reschedule from being so sick last week cause my classes don't start until 12:30 this afternoon but they go straight through 9:45 tonight and I live a 1/2 hour from school so I won't be home till late. I scheduled it so I have Wednesdays off from school though, so I can sleep in tomorrow a bit before doing homework.

Well I better go get ready. Hope you have a better day today and Paris is soon!! You have no idea how excited I am that you get to go there - it's my fav place. I told my parents I want French lessons for my 21st bday present next month. Something useful

Re: Brittany new
      #137118 - 01/11/05 04:59 AM
cailin

Quote:

and I say you spend the money you would have spent on a bridesmaid's dress on something else fabulous for yourself...you were going to be spending the money anyways right??

That's one tradition we don't actually have here, the bride pays for the bridesmaid dresses. I will get away with giving a smaller present though and will get to spend the day (if I go) with BF and friends rather than with the wedding party!!

That is a VERY long day you have today, glad you rescheduled the pedicure. I have never had one done (or a manicure!- they are not as common here at all as they are over there, although they are becoming more popular, the first nail bars only opened here in the last 2 or three yrs) I have a gift voucher from a beauty salon that I got for my birthday last year and I am going to either have a facial or a massage. I got a foot spa for Christmas but haven't used it yet.

French lessons for your 21st? How practical! Ask for diamonds girl and pick up a language course at the library! I have the beginners spanish tapes at the moment, I speak fairly good French, or used to, I studied it as part of my degree, and have basic German too so Spanish is next and then I can go visit South America!

Have a good day!

--------------------
S.

Sinead new
      #137120 - 01/11/05 05:11 AM

Unregistered

See I felt as I was typing that about the Bridesmaid dress that you all didn't do it the same way we did. Well at least you can buy yourself a little something special. And give a nice stare-down as she comes down the aisle just to make her a little uncomfortable You could always trip a bridesmaid too and then after the wedding point out to her how agile you are...you never would have tripped

Thanks for the good day wishes I hope classes go well today and they aren't as hard as I think they'll be. The first week of school is always annoying because you get so overwhelmed when you're being shown ALL the projects and everything you'll have to do in the next 15 weeks, plus everyone is just unenthusiastic and it makes it hard to be motivated.

Maybe I should ask for diamonds for my birthday. I have French CD's and workbooks but I think it'd be so much easier or make more sense if I was being taught by a real person. I don't know. I speak some Spanish from high school but I wish it was better. I think it's amazing when people have a general knowledge enough to communicate in several languages. I want to be like that!

You should definitely start using that foot spa. What a great present! You're right, nail places are EVERYWHERE here. Most of them are run by asians. They are very good at it, but sometimes kinda rough. Otherwise every hair salon and spa does nail treatments too. I've got a deal with a lady at my mom's hair salon because I let her daughter "rent" my piccolo from me that I used to play, and in return she'll give me free pedicures each month since that what she does.

Alright I must be off! Have a great day!

Re: Tamara new
      #137129 - 01/11/05 06:14 AM
Little Minnie

Man you guys got it easy. No showers?

I understand what you mean. That is tough and I wish you all the best! At least you have time to prepare yourself. I can't think of anything to say. Oh I know, sleep with the groom! LOL.
Seriously though I am thinking of you.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

LOL Tommy! new
      #137131 - 01/11/05 06:18 AM
cailin

Sorry you are still feeling awful, thanks for the post, and the compliment!
I agree that I was disrespect, written off even. Ah well, if I go to the wedding I will have a lot less stressful day!

--------------------
S.

#137132 - 01/11/05 06:20 AM
cailin

No showers but our hen nights are quite an ordeal! We don't do baby showers either.

BF may not be impressed by your other suggestion

You mentioned in your other post about writing a novel...and I saw novelist in your profile too, what have you written and what kind of stuff do you write?

--------------------
S.

#137142 - 01/11/05 06:49 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Ugh. Some people just don't understand. I'm sorry she disrespected you like that. At least you'll save money....go buy yourself some new clothes!

--------------------
~Cara~

Sinead new
      #137143 - 01/11/05 06:51 AM
Augie

Forgot you were leaving us for a while! Will you be able to have access to a computer in Paris, not that you won't have other exciting things to be doing with your time!

I hate when people go away. I truly miss people when they are gone!

But this trip is exactly what you need after all the recent happenings in your life. Heck it's always a good time to go to Paris or anywhere! I would love to go to Ireland. My mom has been dreaming of a trip to Ireland since I was a little girl. We are Irish and she has tons of picture books and Irish trinckets all over the house. I always told her I would take her there when I grew up. Well, so far money has prevented that. If I could give her one thing, it would be a trip to Ireland. She has wanted this for so long. If your like me, you try and make up for how lousy she was/is treated by my father and all the abuse he put(s) her through!

There I go off on another tangent. If you haven't noticed, I tend to do that in middle of threads that have nothing to do with what I'm rambling about. Sorry!

--------------------
~ Beth

#137156 - 01/11/05 07:22 AM
LittleLamb

Reged: 07/22/04
Loc: USA

Sinéad - I am sorry that you are feeling rejected by your friend. Weddings can be a very sticky business and feelings get hurt quite often.

Part of me wants to believe that she meant well, but that she doesn't understand IBS. If we say yes to doing something, we feel like we can handle it. It feels good to be included in events and to have our company valued.

But, who knows the real reason. We cannot read people's minds (as much as I'd like to sometimes) and playing a guessing game will only make you crazy.

My suggestion is to go do something nice for yourself and think of the free time you'll have not being tied up in wedding events. Now you'll be able to attend the wedding as a guest - come and go as you want. There is some freedom in that

I have had my feelings very deeply hurt over wedding choices/bridesmaids. My bridesmaids were horrible - they complained about the dresses, the alterations, the shoes, the location of the wedding, the accomodations.....they made my life miserable. They hogged the mirror in the dressing room and I barely had enough time to get my makeup on! Before the wedding they called me and asked if they had to give me a shower because it was a lot of trouble! I was so upset and hurt...I told them that if it was that much of a bother to please not do it. (Who wants to force someone to throw you a party?) My mother is an alcoholic, and she was drunk all day at my wedding. She griped and moaned and got in my face about my stepmother wearing a corsage too. Like I needed that too on my stressful day along with griping bridesmaids, a mean wedding coordinator, a late florist, and the videographer arguing with the photographer. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! When we reached the hotel that night, I sat on the bed and cried and cried while my poor husband hugged me.

Another time, a friend got married and chose to have a very small ceremony. (She was one of my bridesmaids.) She asked another friend to be her sole attendant - another one of my bridesmaids. That's great - I had no problem with that. What bothered me was that she never told me that she made this decision, as if she thought I'd be mad and couldn't handle it. How dumb. So, I go to her very small wedding and see my other friend come in as her bridesmaid before her in the ceremony. I was so surprised - I felt hurt that she didn't tell me. They kept it this huge secret and I felt like an idiot standing there in a very tiny crowd. Then they avoided me almost the whole dinner reception. Whatever! It was like they were afraid to talk to me! I couldn't believe how immature and insensitive they were - but then again I wasn't that shocked given their behavior at my wedding. I was glad to leave.

On the way home, my husband said, "Honey, why didn't you tell me that X was going to be Y's bridesmaid?" And I told him that I was as clueless as he was. He thought it was very strange and bizarre. He asked if I was mad or hurt, and I told him I was upset that they felt like they couldn't talk to me about it. Its her wedding - she can run it how she wants. I don't care about that. But keeping secrets is so ridiculous and insulting!

I have come to the conclusion that if you have less than supportive people in your wedding party or family, you should highly consider doing a wedding-moon at one of the Sandals resorts! If they can't behave or be nice, then they don't get to come! And you save a lot of money.

Sinead! new
      #137175 - 01/11/05 08:40 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

This is why I hate weddings! people get too out of control , and it just seems like an antiquated ceremony to me! My dream wedding is eloping to Vegas. the bridemaid situation gets too tricky, when my Father's sister got married, he was in the wedding, but since my Uncle- to - be had so many sisters, my mom wasn't in it, and it made her feel left out and weird to go to a wedding by herself, since her date was at the wedding party table!
I think she was also insulted that my sister and I weren't asked to be flower girls, since he (uncle to be) had so many nieces, too. My Dad has only two sisters, and one was married before we were born, so that upset her.
have you ever heard of the woman that ditch bridesmaids of thiers cause they gain weight? I heard it on a radio show that this woman wanted to get rid of her bridesmaid, since she was gaining weight "And not trying to do anything about it, she will ruin my pictures!" Horrible, just horrible!
Your friend did stab you in the back, by pretending to be nice to you and take you out for dinner. What a jerk. And her wedding will suck cause she will be too bothered with the little things that don't matter. It probably has to do with you growing apart, and who knows, your mam may not be far from the truth!
Chin up and don't let it bother you! And if you need an excuse, say you are going to NYC for the weekend (you don't have to go for real though!)

--------------------
-Sheri

Slightly off topic question for Sinead (Irish weddings) new
      #137178 - 01/11/05 08:54 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Odd this came up, I have been wanting to ask you about Irish weddings!
My cousin has just been formally engaged and is getting married in September. SHe says she wanted a 'tradtional irish wedding' and found info online. She said they wear light blue gowns, and there are fairies instead of flower girls. My Grandmom told my sister and I this on Christmas, and my sister, being a smart a@$, says, "Oh, where is she going to find a fairy?" I am trying not to laugh, knowing that she means, like fairies don't exist, how will that happen? And my grandmother (not very bright) replies, "Oh, she already ordered wings for Rebecca and Autumn!" 'And she wants to make sure that nothing else is going on at around the same time, cause she wants it to be special."
This girl is just screaming for attention! She expects to contro lthe whole world, and when things happen to make her wedding special? I think I might elope the day before or after just to be a brat (j/k). If you knew her personality growing up you would get how absurd this is.
is this for real? Is that really the traditional irish wedding? I think she is going too far and only looking for attention. I am definately not one to stick to tradition, but she is. Our family (on my dad's side) is Irish, but it is not like we have strong roots, not like we have close relatives still there, or like she has ever visited! I am not sure, but I don't her mother's family is Irish. My grandmom always is blabbing her mouth about being Irish, but it is not like she was raised there, or even born there. I think they are all going through an identity crisis.
What do you think? I also want to make it clear that I would not have a problem with this wedding if it was true to her personality and life style.

--------------------
-Sheri

#137185 - 01/11/05 09:07 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Wow! That is pretty shocking! All I can add to this is that brides to be tend to lose their minds when planning weddings and maybe she's just not thinking clearly. I remember breaking down and crying in front of all my friends when a pair of scissors wouldn't work for me. It was 3 weeks before the wedding. I am sure they thought I was nuts! LOL
Anyways hang in there! I have been in only two (family) weddings in my life and I have lots of friends. I just figure hey less money you have to spend!

Fairys...sure and leprechauns too! new
      #137187 - 01/11/05 09:09 AM
cailin

I have no idea where your cousin is getting these ideas from, it must be an American vision of Irish weddings site!
Here is a link to a real Irish weddings site- http://www.irishweddings.ie/
Our weddings are pretty like yours, for the church bit anyway. We wear the same gowns and suits, have bridesmaids and flowergirls (definitely no wings) and page boys.
The Bridesmaids walk up the aisle first then the bride and her father (and mother sometimes!) the bride's family and friends sit on one side of the church, the groom's on the other. The ceremony starts with the lighting of candles, there's the readings, the vows and then a mass. Very normal. The wedding is usually on about 1pm-2pm and lasts around an hour.

Our wedding receptions are different, we get to the hotel where the reception is being held and there is mulled wine or champagne or tea and coffee. Dinner is served around 5.30 and then the speeches of the Groom, fathers of groom and bride, bride (if she wants to) and best man are usually after dinner. After that the band starts and does the bride and grooms first dance. The band plays til arouns midnight with a break around 11 for tea and sandwiches and cocktail sausages. Aroun 12.30 the DJ starts and that goes on until about 2am then a singsong starts. I usually stay up til at least 4am! THAT is a traditional Irish wedding!

--------------------
S.

Re: LOL Tommy! new
      #137234 - 01/11/05 10:26 AM
Nelly

LOL! Yeah, don't mess with New Yorkers on disrespect!!

<my best over-the-top Tommy1976 impersonation>"Yo you disrespecting my girrl? Cos if you are... Well, we gonna have to have a little talk! Do NOT make me come over there."</>

I have nothing but RESPECT for NY-ers, Tommy! Yeah, it's not competing when we're all on the same team, right? Tommy can be the muscle, and I'll be the spider lady.

~nelly~

Re: LOL Tommy! new
      #137235 - 01/11/05 10:36 AM
TommyNY

I like your impersonation of me Nelly! Its funny because normally I don't have a trace of a NY accent for the most part or so I've been told. But... once you tick me off, the yo's start flying and yes the "Yo, you disrespected my girl" comment would come out.

YO Sinead!! Tommy "Muscles" and Nelly "Spiders" got it under control. You tell us when to book our trips to Dublin and we'll settle this once and for all!

--------------------

Great! new
      #137246 - 01/11/05 10:54 AM
cailin

Nelly if you can sort your own transport to JFK these are your flights, you can hook up with Tommy at the airport!

Quote:

AER LINGUS EI104
non-stop NYC
18:00 Fri 07 Oct 2005 Dublin
05:30 Sat 08 Oct 2005 Economy
AER LINGUS EI109
non-stop Dublin
17:20 Mon 10 Oct 2005 NYC
19:50 Mon 10 Oct 2005 Economy

Hope Economy is OK!!
Nelly, I will order the spiders from the petshop, what type would you like??

You guys are so great. My "real" friends have all been wonderful today, one friend who is getting married in August sent me the funniest email ever giving me compliments, saying that we all have our baggage (and hers is her ass) and that one of her BF's friends things I am hot, and so does her BF when he is brave enough to admit it. I don't care if she made it up it made me smile at my desk! Then she put in a bit about maybe the bride was worried that I would pass wind at the altar! (she knows about this problem as one night I drank a cocktail with cream in it and dairy KILLS me) She also said she would nearly appoint me one of her bridesmaids, even though she already has three! It was very funny and very sweet too.

I am getting over it but cannot imagine going back to having a normal relationship with the bride. Spoke to Mam earlier and she is still REALLY annoyed about it, and convinced its to do with my weight loss ! Bless!

Talk to you all later on

--------------------
S.

Rockin'!! new
      #137250 - 01/11/05 10:59 AM
Nelly

Sounds great!! Pick me up from the airport?? I'm actually planning a trip to England in the springtime. So I'll be in London and Liverpool, and wherever else in the area I can find a couch to crash on!

~nelly~

Re: Great! new
      #137267 - 01/11/05 11:13 AM
TommyNY

I am there. Nelly, I am only 15 minutes from JFK. I'll meet ya there. Sinead, when we meet you in Dublin, please provide us with a mode of transportation to the wedding and a list of any other people you'd like Nelly and me to "talk" to.

You are a beautiful gal Sinead (I'm sure your picture on this site does you no justice) and maybe your friend is intimidated by that fact. You're the type of gal I used to go after when I used to hang out in Sunnyside. I just LOVE that Irish brogue. It charms me everytime. I'm such a sucker for it. A

Just take being fired as a bridesmaid as a compliment that youre much better looking than the bride and she can't take a la what your Mam says...

--------------------

Bridesmaids, Spanish and South America!! new
      #137277 - 01/11/05 11:31 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Hey sinead,
Oh my god, I dont visit the boards for a few hours and next minute Im on and theres so much to catch up on...I havent made it through all these posts yet but I just wanted to say that Im still in shock over what your friend did. At the same time though, I could see that happening to me with some of my friends(who I dont see much anymore) cos Ive had horrible situations like that before where you end up feeling like you're such a big hassle to accomodate cos of your ibs and everything and so they havent invited me or whatever...its such a horrible feeling. Im not surprised you were so upset, Ive have gone to my room and cried too! I think everything Brittany has said is what Id say too....dont feel too bad about it....and atleast now you can spend the day with Pawdraig instead...I think the hardest part of having ibs is dealing with the way others treat you cos of it...thats why Im so secretive over it most of the time...it is a proper curse!

Anyways... so you're thinking of learning spanish hey?? Did you know that I am fluent?? Ive been learning it for 7 years now, Im doing a higher education diploma at uni in it just to keep it up so I dont forget. I did work experience in Alicante 2 years ago as a teaching assistant! I also lived with a family there on an exchange and Im the best of friends with loads of them I met there...been back twice! I speak to them in Spanish on messenger all the time! Do you have that by the way?(MSN or AOL, I have both you see) Im off to South America this summer(If I can sort out the funding in time) to work as a volunteer in an orphanage in Peru...its something Ive always wanted to do (and thought my ibs wouldnt let me) but it was Brittany who finally made me think I could do it..and its gona count as my residential project for the final part of my duke of edinburgh Gold award...so finally Ill be able to go the palace and kick Prince Phillips a*** for makin me go through all that pain on the expedition(only kiddin ) So Im very excited about the summer....I will be teachin the kids in spanish obviously....but will be doin english and stuff too...just hope I can understand them as the south american accent is very strong...its like the difference between here and america between spain and south america!! So if you need any Spanish help...you now know someone to ask!!!

--------------------
Natalie

Re: Bridesmaids, Spanish and South America!! new
      #137287 - 01/11/05 11:48 AM
cailin

Yeah, it has been eventful 24hours! I am getting over it now, I got some really sweet emails from my REAL friends at work today when I told them about it. Obviously I didn't tell the bride's circle of friends,just in case, I didn't want to bring their loyalty into question, I really don't know how the bride and I can ever have a normal relationship again though...

The volunteering sounds fantastic, I really wish I had done a gap year when I qualified! I am too old now! (way past it at 28) Padhraig and I still talk about doing our "world trip" one of these days, I read the Isabel Allende books- (Have you read any of them?) and desperately want to go to Chile now and I have heard that Argentina is amazing, and Peru. I am really interested in all the inca and aztec civilisations too. How are you organising the volunteering because I would SERIOUSLY be interested in doing something like that!

I did French in college and was almost fluent at that but I really want to learn Spanish and am pretty good at languages so hopefully I will pick it up!

I don't have Instant Messenger at the moment, must set it up, I have a hotmail account but it may be dead...I'll go check!

Talk later

S
So many good intentions!

--------------------
S.

Sinead new
      #137378 - 01/11/05 01:42 PM
Little Minnie

It is mildly depressing to answer this right now. I am editing my first novel, haven't quite gotten out any query letters yet and probably won't be published anyway. But I write romantic novels generally set in early nineteenth century England- like Jane Austen. But I have one that will be set in Tudor times and very epic, but I have to wait until my skills have improved. I have always loved the Regency period. This is the year to get published too since there is going to be a mini revival of that sort of story. They made another Pride and Prejudice that will be out this fall and a movie is being made about a romance Jane Austen had. I am pretty tenacious so I will keep trying!

--------------------

Tamara new
      #137495 - 01/12/05 01:32 AM
cailin

You must be so talented to be able to attempt something like that. My Dad wrote a novel and got it published but it was semi-autobiographical, I can't even imagine the amount of research that must go into yours. Dad's publishing house was a start up and really it was a money house as opposed to doing any PR etc. and to be honest the book is VERY self indulgent and still needs another good editing!

I read "Star of the Sea" by Joseph O'Connor lately, it is set aboard an Irish famine ship bound for the US, and I could not get over the months and months of research he must have put in. (BTW I HIGHLY recommend this book!)

Good luck with it

--------------------
S.

Nelly/Tommy new
      #137498 - 01/12/05 02:46 AM
cailin

I will be there to pick you up. I have an ex-boss that could do with a visit too!

Nelly, your trip sounds fun, when are you coming? Maybe we could do a mini IBS sprawl in your honour in the UK? Flights from here are fairly reasonable for me if I book them far enough in advance, I'm sure some of the others...Natalie, Linz would be interested too...

Tommy- thanks for your kind words too

Like I said in my other post...I am getting over this!

--------------------
S.

#137526 - 01/12/05 07:06 AM
Little Minnie

Wow that sounds interesting. Research used to be fun. Indeed when I started writing I thought I knew a lot about Regency England, but the more you learn the less you know! Now I have a few things to really concrete and I can't find anything definitive. Basically you can interpret history however you want. Regency House Party for instance is not a good place to learn about Regency times! So I take a practical approach and believe people have not really changed that much. BTW I am not talented. I am just a daydreamer who is too stubborn to give up my dream.

--------------------

sheri- did you ever see this reply to your question? new
      #148628 - 02/10/05 12:55 PM
cailin

--------------------
S.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1727 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10057

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review