All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Re: Tired and depressed new
      #15311 - 07/29/03 12:04 AM
Josie

Reged: 03/28/03
Loc: Boston

As long as this seems to be the basis for the Christian thread, I thought I might add my 2 cents. A daily scripture would be lovely to read and discuss. I am a Christian, but have not learned to bible well at all. There are still things that I am skeptical about, but hope with time these questions will be answered. I wanted to share a great web site I found, it is called beliefnet and you can explore many articles and topics of all forms of religion, there are quizes to help you learn more about yourself and your beliefs. You can also sign up for daily emails of scriptures, quotes, and thoughts by all sorts of religious philosophers. I receive "Daily Insiprations" which are not always religous in nature, but give you great thoughts to challenge your mind. I really enjoy and hope you will too!

--------------------
Be not afraid of going slowly; be afraid only of standing still. -- Chinese proverb

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Tired and depressed new
      #15322 - 07/29/03 02:37 AM
Georgia

Reged: 07/06/03
Loc: Granite City, IL

Thanks for your 2cents, Josie! I'm going to check out the website and pass it on to some friends. I agree that a daily scripture that can be discussed would be great. I'm Catholic and don't know the Bible well, either. Just from what I've done on my own. I think your suggestion is a good idea. Thanks again, Georgia

Re: A Scripture for today 7/28 new
      #15323 - 07/29/03 02:41 AM
Georgia

Thank you KaybeeC!! Without God we are nothing. It's amazing to me all the blessings He throws our way. Has anyone read any of the Conversations With God books? My girlfriend says they are a wonderful and inspirational read. God bless....Georgia

#15344 - 07/29/03 06:13 AM
RLU

Reged: 02/04/03
Loc: Jackson, Mississippi

KayBee-

Thanks so much for writing, yes my name is Rhonda, my screen name is Nan275 for anyone that has instant messenger. I have already traded emails with Corrine this morning. It is so nice to have friends on here. My friends bless their heart try and understand and support me and watch out for me, I'm 34 and I have two of the best friends anyone could ask for, but I know they don't quite understand even though they try. Thanks so much for the encouraging verse. I will have to post some of my own that will hopefully share some encourage. Feel well today and thanks again!

--------------------
Screen Name: Nan275

#15801 - 07/31/03 11:18 AM
KaybeeC

Reged: 03/14/03
Loc: Ohio

Hi, Georgia -

You are right - God is the source of life, through Christ! Praise Him for all His blessings - and for walking with us during the trials! As for the "Conversations with God" books - I picked up the first one that came out and glanced at it, but if I remember correctly, I put it back down because it didn't line up with Scripture. Very "spiritual" but not necessarily Godly. I try to stay away from warm and fuzzy writings that are not rooted in the truth of the Word of God - they have a way of deluding us into thinking they are representative of what God would like to say to us - but can subtly lead us down a comfortable but wrong path. I'm too vulnerable to take a chance!

As an alternative, check out works by Claire Cloninger. I received a book that she wrote several years ago called "Postcards from Heaven" and it is just incredible! That book is out of print but can be purchased on the internet, some used, some new - but she also has some current books, like "Email from Heaven for Teens." Anyway, a Christian bookstore could do a search for you. Other writings I like are the books by Max Lucado - very "user-friendly", great style, but full of the truth about God's love for His creation - about amazing Grace! There are lots of good, solid devotional books about God that are "warm and fuzzy", too - just can't think of any titles off the top of my head! OH, yeah - one of my very favorite books is "Silver Boxes" by Florence Littauer. It's about encouragement, basically, and full of heart-warming stories. For a great laugh, I like books by Patsy Clairmont - "Normal is Just a Setting on Your Hairdryer!" and "God Uses Cracked Pots!" are really funny and warm - very personal.

Blessings,
Kaybee C

#15839 - 07/31/03 02:51 PM
Georgia

Thanks Kaybee C
I love Max Lucado and Patsy Clairmont cracks me up. I'll check out some of the other books you listed. Thanks for the info!! Georgia

Re: A Scripture for today 8/7 new
      #16538 - 08/07/03 07:40 AM
busymom

Reged: 06/30/03
Loc: Michigan

I've been gone for a few days and missed all these posts! One of the things I've found most encouraging was the series of scriptures I have been studying for the past two years, which I mentioned early in this string to Corinne. Devotion books give us encouragement, but it is such a blessing to have the Lord reveal those same deep truths right to us without a "middleman". One book that is helpful for knowing how to dig in and study the Bible on your own is "How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth" by Gordon D. Fee & Douglas Stuart. It tells you how to read the different types of narratives and what study tools are helpful.

Here's a scripture for today which was really helpful to me as I struggled with panic attacks as we took our car trip that kept me away from the website:

"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider Him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." Hebrews 12: 2 - 3

I found that if I remembered to cry out to the Lord for help, expressing my inability to handle this IBS panic attack on my own, and then fixed my eyes on Jesus through praising Him along with praise music on the CD player, that He would provide calm, peace, and relief. Even though we scorn the shame that our IBS sometimes brings to our lives, we must not focus our eyes on that. It will pass. We must keep our eyes on Jesus, who endured shame, in order to give us eternal life where we will not suffer like this any longer.

Really struggling with consistent Bible reading.....need the encouragement! new
      #16835 - 08/09/03 04:46 PM
KaybeeC

Reged: 03/14/03
Loc: Ohio

Thanks for the encouragement. I really am struggling right now with carving out time for the Word, other than the devotionals. They're great, but as you said, they're really no substitute for really getting in tune with the Lord and listening for His voice. Thanks again.

Blessings,
Kaybee C

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 601 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 26984

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review