All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
HSP- are you one?
      #134448 - 01/02/05 05:48 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

So I've been lurking in the self-help aisles at Barnes & Noble and have come across several books dealing with this personality type: the Highly Sensitive Person.
The author that coined the term, Dr Elaine Aron, says this:
Quote:

This trait is normal--it is inherited by 15 to 20% of the population, and indeed the same percentage seems to be present in all higher animals.
Being an HSP means your nervous system is more sensitive to subtleties. Your sight, hearing, and sense of smell are not necessarily keener (although they may be). But your brain processes information and reflects on it more deeply.
Being an HSP also means, necessarily, that you are more easily overstimulated, stressed out, overwhelmed.
This trait is not something new I discovered--it has been mislabeled as shyness (not an inherited trait), introversion (30% of HSPs are actually extraverts), inhibitedness, fearfulness, and the like. HSPs can be these, but none of these are the fundamental trait they have inherited.
The reason for these negative misnomers and general lack of research on the subject is that in this culture being tough and outgoing is the preferred or ideal personality--not high sensitivity. (Therefore in the past the research focus has been on sensitivity's potential negative impact on sociability and boldness, not the phenomenon itself or its purpose.) This cultural bias affects HSPs as much as their trait affects them, as I am sure you realize. Even those who loved you probably told you, "don't be so sensitive," making you feel abnormal when in fact you could do nothing about it and it is not abnormal at all.

One isn't really diagnosed, but you recognize yourself in questions like these:
I am easily overwhelmed by strong sensory input.
Other people's moods affect me.
I find myself needing to withdraw during busy days,into bed or into a darkened room or any place where I can have some privacy and relief from stimulation.
I am made uncomfortable by loud noises.
I startle easily.
My nervous system sometimes feels so frazzled that I just have to go off by myself.
I make a point to avoid violent movies and TV shows.
I am bothered by intense stimuli, like loud noises or chaotic scenes.
When I was a child, my parents or teachers seemed to see me as sensitive or shy.
And if you're like me, you go "A-ha! That describes me perfectly!"
So this particular doctor has written several books on life as a HSP and life with a HSP, and there are several others as well.
The thought occurs, there would seem to be a lot of potential connection between high sensitivity and the kind of digestive issues we deal with. Any of you read any of these books?
Thoughts?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: HSP- are you one? new
      #134451 - 01/02/05 05:59 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Very interesting stuff... and yep, I was reading the list at the end and thinking, wow, that sounds like me!

A good example: I can sit here at home, working, knitting, whatever, in complete silence all day. I almost never put on music, and even more rarely do I turn on the TV. I know my boyfriend thinks I'm weird because of it, but I find the noise actually irritates me to a point where I just want to scream and go hide somewhere quiet. Nine times out of 10, if he flips on the TV or puts in a movie, I go upstairs and hide in my office.

It's not that I hate music, TV, or movies, but the noise overstimulates me sometimes.

For a very little while, going on an anti-anxiety medication seemed to help, but I think that was coincidence. I'm still feeling the effects of the med, so I know it's still "working", but I'm back to wanting to be in silence all the time.

Interesting... I'm going to have to read more about this!

Re: OMG yes me too!! new
      #134453 - 01/02/05 06:12 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

Yes I think I am an HSP too!! I have read part of the book called "The HSP", although I couldn't get through all of it. I think I have become even more sensitive since I got IBS...I am more easily overwhelmed by stressful situations, because they usually trigger attacks. Social situations have become more uncomfortable for me, too. It would be interesting to know if other IBS sufferers feel this way. I should go back and try to read the book again...

My physical therapist also told me that my body type is "ectoderm", meaning I am very sensitive to external stimuli because I tend to be bony and so my nerves are closer to my skin or something like that, which can lead to digestive problems.

Thanks for bringing this up; I'd forgotten about it!

--------------------
~Angela

This is exactly me! new
      #134461 - 01/02/05 06:47 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I felt like I was reading a medical record that a doctor may have written on me. All my apartment neighhbors hate me because I'm always complaining about the noise. I can't go to malls because there are too many people.

I get stressed so easily and overwhelmed with everything. My psych has me on two meds for anxiety because I get so sensitive and stressed over stuff!

It's like all my senses are hightened and my nerves are fragile.

I over analyze everything. Decisions are impossible. I've been called a snob, when in fact I'm just too "shy" to associate with people. I go places alone, so that I can escape if things get to chaotic, like Christmas at my moms.

When I was little (and still today) I cry and get offended if anyone critisizes me or corrects anything I may have made a mistake on. My mom tells me to "grow up".

The last part, where you desribed yourself, I could have written that. I swear you were describing me to a tee. This is so interesting. And scary that it is so accurate for me.
Wow!

So, what can we do about it? To become less of all these? It would make life easier and more pleasant, and would probably do the IBS a world of good!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: This is exactly me! new
      #134467 - 01/02/05 06:58 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Beth! My neighbours hate me too because I complain to the landlord about their loud music!

Count me in! Yep. new
      #134468 - 01/02/05 06:59 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I am SO sensitive to noise, easily overstimulated, stressed and overwhelmed. I need a lot of me time or I get cranky.

OMG, really?! new
      #134479 - 01/02/05 07:20 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

And being the sensitive type, it bothers me that they hate me! But the noise is so stressful to me. One time my downstairs neighbor was being so loud I banged on the floor with my foot and I actually tore a ligiment! Was on crutches for 2 months! The noise, however, continues!

I complain to my landlord (the one who won't let me get a cat )and he told me that I was the problem and that I needed to deal with the noise and to leave everyone else alone!

At least I'm in good company. It's fun being hated by your neighbors, isn't it. I get dirty looks and everything!

I think one of the reasons I'm on the boards so much at home is that I don't notice the apartment noises so much, the slamming doors, etc! It occupies my attention away from it.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

UUHHH YEAH!!!! new
      #134485 - 01/02/05 07:27 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

OMG did this person know me in past life??? LOL!! Only thing I don't fit is the scary movie thing!! I LOVE THEM!!! I was always called a hermant or lazy because alot of time going places even to a friends house is just to much for me!! I feel like I need to lie down and be left alone!! WOW!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

I'm more of a "Meyers-Briggs" ISTP. new
      #134488 - 01/02/05 07:35 PM
Urban Rain

Reged: 01/02/05
Loc: West San Fernando Valley

This is described as

Introvert-Sensory-Thoughtful-Perceptive

Which means that most of the criteria does not relate, here. I rely heavily on my senses, but favoring "thought" over "emotion" for expression there's not a lot of sensitivity. My sense of other people's "vibes" are very undeveloped. Yet, I'm a great person to go when a problem needs to be solved...great objectivity, at times.

-I find personality studies fascinating. -even astrology in terms of natal charts. Don't believe we can predict the future with it, though.

Dumas (Aries "Capricorn Rising" w. a Virgo Moon).

--------------------
If you love the meter, the beat is sweeter.

Re: This is exactly me! new
      #134495 - 01/02/05 07:57 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

Isn't it a relief when you stumble across something like this that helps you realize you're not some kind of wierdo, and that there are concrete things you can do to help yourself? (kinda like what happened when you discovered this site )
Here are some links to books- not that I'm shilling anything or shilling Amazon.com, for that matter, just that the reviews here are useful, but you can get them at your local library...
"The Highly Sensitive Person"
"The Highly Sensitive Person's Workbook"
"Are You Really Too Sensitive?: How to Understand and Develop Your Sensitivity As the Strength It Is"
"The Highly Sensitive Person's Survival Guide: Essential Skills for Living Well in an Overstimulating World"
"The Sensitive Person's Survival Guide: An Alternative Health Answer to Emotional Sensitivity & Depression"
Also, here are a couple of sites that have good info-
Elaine Aron - she's the Heather VanVorous of HSP. Literally wrote the book on it.
More good info & support here- http://www.sensitiveperson.com/
We're used to researching and being willing to try many alternatives to make our lives better. So here are some ways to begin to do that.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 400 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20590

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review