All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
Nelly- new
      #135222 - 01/05/05 09:04 AM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

Your posts are always a riot, made doubly so by the fact that I can't help but envision the dog saying these things.
hee hee!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

ME TOO! new
      #135243 - 01/05/05 09:54 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Oh my god, I always used to put a towel under my door to block the light too. I figured I was the only one who did that.

I used to get furious at my parents as a child when I was in bed sleeping and they were watching tv too loud. I never grew out of that either. Every night before I go to bed, I always tell my BF to turn the tv down. He kinda laughs as he does it without being asked now. He thinks I'm a bit nuts, of course. he he

Book? new
      #135245 - 01/05/05 09:57 AM
Sara-Sage

Hi Paula, can you give me an example of something the book suggested as helpful to deal with being a HSP? I found it at Chapters yesterday but didn't have time to read any of it. I figured I'd go back on payday and consider it.

Is it really that helpful? Please do tell!

Re: Nelly- new
      #135267 - 01/05/05 10:35 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

LOL!!! OK now that really made me laugh!!!!!!

~nelly~

Re: Book? new
      #135285 - 01/05/05 11:20 AM
ptillen

Well, the first couple of chapters are quite detailed about the physiological causes of this trait, enabling you to understand exactly why you react to things the way you do and also to explain your needs and reactions to others in such a way as to head off their "oh, SEN-sitive, huh? She's just putting on airs, why doesn't she just get over it" type reactions that we've all gotten. Also enabling you to take care of yourself in the way that makes you most able to be of use to others.
There are lots of practical health suggestions, but the bulk of the book is about dealing with psychological issues (after all, the author is a clinical psychologist)- "reframing your childhood and adolescence"- "social relationships"- "thriving at work"- "close relationships"- you get the idea. There's a really useful chapter about possible medical alternatives, and the closing chapter is about spirituality.
Each chapter ends with exercises that you can spend some time with; she expands on these in a workbook that I haven't cracked open yet. They're really useful and thought- provoking.
One of her main theses is that HSP's, by virtue of their sensitivity, provide services to humanity that no one else is capable of giving. So she's about teaching you to take care of yourself so you can give the world your gifts.
If you don't want to buy right away, why not find it a the library and see if it's useful enough to you to buy?

Re: Book? new
      #135351 - 01/05/05 12:54 PM
Sara-Sage

Thanks for the great description.I would love to know 'why' I do certain things. I'm special. he he

I might see if I canget it in the library, good suggestion. I spend way too much on books. I'm a book addict.

Re: HSP- are you one? new
      #135423 - 01/05/05 02:12 PM
LittleLamb

Reged: 07/22/04
Loc: USA

Oh my. This sounds just like me!

I cannot stand loud music, loud noises, fighting, arguing, bickering, yelling, crowded places.

Visually 'busy' places - i.e. crowds, theme parks, fairs, carnivals, circuses, Chuck E Cheese, sporting events, busy decorated malls, Wal-Mart, etc. make me bananas.

I get startled or scared easily - my husband thinks its funny to jump out at me

I get overloaded easily and I get very tired after shopping.

I love being alone - I need to be alone often or I go batty. Most of my hobbies are 'quiet' things - reading, painting, drawing, crafts, gardening.

I love music but I can only listen for so long before I feel overwhelmed and turn it off and relish the quiet.

When I was little, I would spend HOURS alone in my room playing with dolls, reading, daydreaming, painting, listening to classical music. I was probably the only child at Disneyland who hated it and wanted to go home - the crowds, the noise, the smells, the STUFF everywhere, the heat was overwhelming and I wanted to go home so badly! I was afraid of the lawn mower, the vaccuum cleaner and the game 'Operation'. I was painfully shy as a child and did not overcome it until about my junior year of high school - I got involved in my church youth group and the safe, fun and loving environment there was a great place for me to come out of my shell.

I dislike sports. I feel overwhelmed by the roughness, competition, agressiveness and noise. I prefer solitary activity like walking, yoga, pilates, ballet.

I used to work as a RN but it made my IBS really bad. I think it was the constant being on your toes, the pressure and the immediacy of everything. I changed my career to web/graphic design and my IBS got dramatically better.

My husband is a sweetie and he understands my temperament. He was an only child and loves the fun and excitement of going out and having fun, running errands, shopping, etc. but needs time to rejuvenate also. He planned our honeymoon - he picked a quiet couples only tropical resort that was all inclusive to make our time stress free. It was GREAT! We never left the resort the whole time. So many people ask us - weren't you BORED? How could we be bored? We basked in the sun, played on the beach, drank pina coladas, sailed, snorkeled, ate wonderful dinners.....it was heaven! We had no desire whatsoever to go galavanting around outside the resort - who cared what was out there?

I guess you could say I'm a poster child for this HSP!

Re: Books! Books! Books! new
      #135425 - 01/05/05 02:24 PM
ptillen

Me too, but I figure in the world of things to be addicted to, a book might be one of the best. My husband calls me "Hermione Granger"- responds to my running to refer to this or that book for an obscure fact by saying "Well, am I the only one who's read Hogwarts- a History?".
I like being like that though- it's useful.
My criteria about whether to shell out hard earned cash for a book (and risk filling up the house with them) goes like this. Can I get it at the library first? OK. If I can, then I take a look at it for free to see if it'll be a one-time read or one that I'll want to highlight and write notes.
This is definitely one for the highlighter, for me anyway. I'll be interested to see what you think.

Hermione! new
      #135448 - 01/05/05 03:47 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I love it! I used to be such a Hermione when I was younger, I HOPE i have grown out of it, I was such a little know it all!

--------------------
S.

Re: Hermione! new
      #135453 - 01/05/05 04:04 PM
ptillen

There are some Hermione traits that are to be proud of. Hope you didn't grow out of them all.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1090 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20767

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review