All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Re: HSP- are you one? new
      #134600 - 01/03/05 09:58 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Yes! Glad you agree. Commercials are so bad.

We have a tv that has a function to have all shows at the same volume but we don't use it. I will remind my BF to activate it and see if it even works well.

Down with commercials!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

HSP and kids? new
      #134603 - 01/03/05 10:04 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

That I think because I'm a HSP this is the largest reason that I do not want kids. I am super sensitive to noise and baies and young children are so noisey that they simply overwhelm my senses in minutes. No kidding!

Does anyone else not want kids because of this? Just curious.

#134612 - 01/03/05 10:17 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Quote:

One isn't really diagnosed, but you recognize yourself in questions like these:
I am easily overwhelmed by strong sensory input. Yip, loud noises, strong smells etc
Other people's moods affect me. Oh yeah-particularly relevant since I am an adult child of an alcholic
I find myself needing to withdraw during busy days,into bed or into a darkened room or any place where I can have some privacy and relief from stimulation. Hmm, not so sure about this one...I do like company..But at work at least once a week I curse my openplan office and wish I had an office door to shut
I am made uncomfortable by loud noises. Definitely me
I startle easily. Absolutely, I jump at the smallest thing, BF thinks its hilarious
My nervous system sometimes feels so frazzled that I just have to go off by myself. Has happened a few times
I make a point to avoid violent movies and TV shows. I look away!
I am bothered by intense stimuli, like loud noises or chaotic scenes. Yes
When I was a child, my parents or teachers seemed to see me as sensitive or shy. Sensitive maybe, I used to cry a lot when I was a kid, shy never, I was always very outgoing

Here are some other things that I have thought of that I could blame on this:

- When I was younger I would get nervous for other people and get butterflies in my tummy for them! eg my cousins often played in concerts and I was in the audience with butterflies
- When I eat I have to remove the dish and the food smell from my vicinity immediately or I get nauseous
- I get a tummy ache from the smell of oranges being peeled- but love the smell of OJ!
- I cannot sleep if there is even a glimmer of light, so much so that some digital alarm clocks keep me awake with their reflection
- I cannot sleep with a radio on (music on CD doesn't bother me as much)
- I'm sure I will think of some more later...

--------------------
S.

#135041 - 01/04/05 04:02 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Wow this is totally me... BTW, Sinead what you said about the oranges? Me too!!!

~nelly~

Nelly- LOL! new
      #135043 - 01/04/05 04:05 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Most people think I am very strange when I complain about oranges being peeled in my general vicinity and then swoon over freshly squeezed OJ, its great not to feel like a freak.

The smell of fresh OJ is always associated for me with the smell of hot-just-dropped-off-by the boulangerie croissants, due to my 7am shift when I worked in a hotel in Paris. Hope to recreate the smell (but not the hour!) next weekend!

--------------------
S.

Re: Nelly- LOL! new
      #135047 - 01/04/05 04:15 PM
Nelly

OK NOW you're making me hungry!!! I love croissants...!!

Evil oranges!! Peeling oranges smells like something horrible to me, like lye being poured over rotting corpses! Or something only vaguely less horrible. But you're right, fresh orange juice smells just fine! Hmmm...

~nelly~

I do that too! new
      #135053 - 01/04/05 04:29 PM

Unregistered

Reading your post made me realize some more of the things I do associated with this.

It KILLS me to watch other people do presentations in class - I get so nervous for them. My brothers are in recitals and concerts all the time and I get so nervous for them. It's just crazy! When I get nervous or anxious I pick at my fingernails and by the time I'm done watching people do stuff like that they are pretty much gone!

I can't sleep with light or noise either. People think it's funny but I can tell if there's a light on on the other side of the house because I can see it coming from under my closed door. And I always have to put a shirt or something over my digital alarm clock (regular ones drive me nuts with the ticking) cause I can't stand the glow. I remember getting furious when I could hear my dad helping my brothers with homework late at night and I'd make them whisper (which even then I could hear) Drove me nuts!

#135063 - 01/04/05 06:02 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

Aha, so it's as I suspected... We're ALL HSP on this board, that's why our guts are so messed up!
Boy, you can't believe how useful this book is, "The Highly Sensitive Person" by Elaine Aron. I'm just plowing through it, highlighting everything in yellow. Not a page goes by when I don't go That's so ME! Y'mean, other people have had these feelings and these experiences? And I thought I was just a fruitcake!
Seriously, it's chock full of useful and practical advice.
Read it!
Read it!
Read it now!

#135079 - 01/04/05 08:06 PM
Nelly

[hypnotized monotone] I... must read... it... noooow...!

~nelly~

#135083 - 01/04/05 08:35 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Some of this fits me pretty well

I am easily overwhelmed by strong sensory input. I can barely walk through the music section of circuit city, and I can't stand techno music -- it makes me crazy!
Other people's moods affect me. This is very true for me, and I find it offensive when people take their poor moods out on me. I am very careful not to be grumpy or sulky around people when I am not feeling my best.
I find myself needing to withdraw during busy days,into bed or into a darkened room or any place where I can have some privacy and relief from stimulation. I'd put it exactly that way.
I am made uncomfortable by loud noises. Ny neighbor plays amazingly loud music with the bass turned way up. It's more than distracting -- it's totally infuriating. When I think it's too loud I tell her to turn it down, but when I can just generally overhear that she has music on, I leave it alone and chalk it up to apartment life.
I startle easily. Yes, I jump at movies and tv shows especially.
My nervous system sometimes feels so frazzled that I just have to go off by myself. Yup
I make a point to avoid violent movies and TV shows. I don't mind violence at all but I don't like suspense thrillers or anything like that. Makes me nervous. Oddly enough, movies like "Meet the Parents" make me so stressed out on behalf of the characters that I cannot enjoy the movie. I haven't seen the sequel just for that reason.
I am bothered by intense stimuli, like loud noises or chaotic scenes. I panicked trying to get out of a very crowded Penn Station during the RNC in NYC, and I don't know if that's normal or not. Usually chaotic scenes are okay but uncontrolled noise is not.
When I was a child, my parents or teachers seemed to see me as sensitive or shy. Sensitive, yes. Shy, no. I can remember my parents sitting me down to say that I was too old to cry over hurt feelings anymore (I was probably 7). Having two older brothers toughened me up somewhat, but I am still pretty scared of confrontation and I hate when I do a bad job and others disapprove. I cry a lot -- sometimes up to 4 days a week for a long time, but in general I do not feel the least bit depressed and I generally have a positive outlook.

I'd be interested in checking out the book.
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 390 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20765

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review