All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Newbie here
      #130445 - 12/14/04 11:17 AM
Mona3

Reged: 12/14/04
Loc: California

I just want to say hello to everyone and thank goodness I found this site. ha ha ha Quick background: I was diagnosed with IBS last year, lived in denial for about a year, tired of being in pain, had a hysterectomy 2 weeks ago, couldn't tell which pain I was suffering from more. LOL Bought 2 of Heathers books yesterday and now I am declaring 2005 as GET PAIN FREE and stay that way. So, that is my IBS story summed up.

I have been taking it easy now, since the surgery, for about 2 weeks. My hubby has taken the month of December off to be with me, and he has been wonderful. Taking kids to school, taking care of the puppies (we have 2 new goldens) and was really encouraging me to start eating better, so that would not have to be in pain any longer. So, here I am. I have no idea how I am going to handle the holidays, so any suggestions would be great. This site is great. My hubby has been on here looking at recipes (he is the chef here) and we are excited about starting my new life. I hope I don't sound over zealous, but the thought of eating and not having any pain if just too much. LOL

Everyone have a great day

Mona

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Newbie here new
      #130446 - 12/14/04 11:36 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hi Mona and Welcome! Sorry to hear about your recent surgery but thats so wonderful of your husband to take the month off and take care of things!

The holidays can be hard, especially when visiting other people and eating out. I find it best just to be honest with people and tell people that you have some stomach issues and need to be very careful what you eat. I think you said your hubby already found the reciepe section! Have you started on a SFS (soluble fiber supplement) yet? That is really helpful in getting stabilized! I use Heathers Acacia and really like it but others use Benefiber and metamucil, there are a few others you could choose from as well! Glad to have you aboard!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#130449 - 12/14/04 11:55 AM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

Hi Mona,

I was in denile for a long time myself. It didn't help that it took my dcotor three years to realize that I have colitis not IBS (gotta love the know-it-all type). Anyways, welcome! You're very lucky to have a supportive husband who's going the extra mile to help you out. Going on the diet can be difficult at first, I wanted to say the heck with it many times (and have had some issues with cheating over the past few weeks ), but since the end result is feeling better the struggle is worth it. We're here for you if you have any questions or if you just need to complain.

Meg

Welcome, Mona new
      #130470 - 12/14/04 12:34 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Mona,

I'm sure you're gonna love this site. It sounds like you have a wonderful family and lots of support.

I have a golden, too. His name is Rusty and he's 12 yrs old and like part of our family. Now that my kids are grown, he's my "baby". I bet your hands are full taking care of 2 new puppies....I remember how hard that puppy stage was.

Good luck with your new diet
Barbie

--------------------

#130489 - 12/14/04 01:31 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Welcome, Mona! Good for you for taking the initiative to start feeling better! Believe me, this diet can really help you reach that goal. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask... there are a ton of wonderful people here. See you around!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Hi Mona-- new
      #130496 - 12/14/04 01:48 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Hi Mona, I'm Nel. I'm so glad you found us. I hope 2005 is better for you! I know the srtess of having surgery is hard on IBS, and I hope you're coping OK.

Have you tried gas-x for pain and cramping due to trapped gas, and imodium for frequent attacks of D? Those have been lifesavers for me, and they let me predict better when I'm going to have attacks (1/2 an hour after a food trigger, and imediately after a stress trigger). Predicting when I'm going to have an attack really has helped me reduce my stress and anxiety about the uncertainity surrounding my early attacks in the first years.

Anyway, good luck, and hope to see you here again! This is a great place with wonderful caring people who really want to help! i hope you find some comfort posting here like I ahve!

~nelly~

#130508 - 12/14/04 02:53 PM
Mona3

Thanks Kree.

#130509 - 12/14/04 02:59 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Hi Mona!
Everyone already gave really good advice, so I just wanted to say hi and welcome to the boards!
~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

#130517 - 12/14/04 03:42 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Welcome, Mona! I hope you recuperate from your surgery soon---and that 2005 will be a better year for you. I would love to have a husband that cooks (mine just thinks he can!!!). The recipe thread has a lot of good recipes and tips for IBS'ers.

I have 2 beagles, hence my screen name. (One big mellow one and a teeny tiny one that looks like a puppy.) They can be a
handful! Oh, did I mention I have 2 boys too? (they are 18 and 19). With one that just went away to college and the other a senior in high school, my husband and I are almost empty-nesters.

Hope you rest up during the holidays and get back on your feet soon. This would be an excellent time for you to read Heather's books and the message boards!

Re: Welcome Mona -nt- new
      #130527 - 12/14/04 05:22 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#130544 - 12/14/04 06:52 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Welcome to the boards Mona. I hope you're feeling better from your surgery soon and have a great christmas and that you start to feel better and have that pain free 2005 you're hoping for. See you around

--------------------
Amy

Edited by doubletrouble (12/14/04 06:53 PM)

#130648 - 12/15/04 08:08 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Welcome Mona! Glad that you are here. I hope that you start to feel better soon after your surgery.

#130655 - 12/15/04 08:35 AM
Mona3

Hello beaglelover: Thanks, I am going to work hard on 2005. I grew up with a beagle named FLOPPSY. So cute, we deciding either goldens or beagles, I really wanted bigger dogs, so we got the goldens. They are just precious.

My hubby is an excellent cook, which is good, cause I suck. He likes it most of the time, we do eat out a bit also. I am gonna lose alot of weight, it seems, from not eating. LOL

Talk to you soon,

Mona

#130777 - 12/15/04 02:05 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Sounds like a great plan. Wish you the best and welcome.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 347 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1177

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review