All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I need some encouragement to lose weight
      #130064 - 12/13/04 06:34 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Stupid story. I went to an herbal weight loss clinic in town. The lady took me through all the forms and questionnaires and then weighed me. I totally freaked. I was 17 pounds heavier than I was a few months ago. Then, when it came to pay the piper, it was going to cost over 700 dollars just to get on this program, not to mention the 50 plus dollars a week in herbs! Stupid. I told her very politely that I could not afford that and got out of there as soon as I could.
I got home feelin stupid and horrible. John picked a fight with me when I was so upset (typical). He thinks that everything should be completely based on logic and that feeling bad was useless. He's right, but he doesn't understand that things are sometimes based on EMOTION - and not logic. As a woman, is this a guy thing? Why does everything have to be so technical? Are we not allowed to feel?
Anyway, I weighed myself this morning, and the scales said I'm only 10 pounds over. I guess at the clinic having clothes and having eaten breakfast made a difference.
So, now I'm 10 pounds over but I'd love to lose 15 or 20.
The problem: I'm not a very good dieter. I'm always falling off the wagon and eating stuff I'm not supposed to.
Anyone with gems of advice? How do I stay on the wagon?
I really want to lose 4 pounds by Christmas. 2 weeks. If I go to the gym lots and be uber good, I think I can do it. Encouragement would be very welcome here!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I need some encouragement to lose weight new
      #130078 - 12/13/04 06:47 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

First of all don't feel silly for going someplace that was supposed to help you!! You made a effort!!! The amount of money they wanted was CRAZY!!!! I will also bet you thier scale is off on purpose!!! I can so understand you stuggel with weight and dieting!!! I am not very good at it either!!! You can do this Han!!!! Just try to cut your portions back a little at first and then a little bit more after awhile!!! Going to the the gym will help, but don't over do it!! Men are very technical!!! I think that is why they are better at fixing Cars!!LOL

BIG Hugs and lots of encouragement!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

#130084 - 12/13/04 06:57 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

HUGS!!!!! Men can be jerks cos they are just wired differently from us (mostly!). And that amount of money for a diet plan was crazy.

Going to the gym lots sounds like a great plan. Have you ever done Weightwatchers? Counting my points always used to shock me!

#130103 - 12/13/04 07:36 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Ditto, Han, those scales were off on purpose!! Use the one in your bathroom exclusively!

My weight is a function of my lifestyle, and when I get moving and active, the weight drops. I say go to the gym! Take a walk after dinner! Heck, take one before breakfast! Get a buddy! You can do it!! Look at Shell Marr, IT CAN BE DONE!!

~nelly~

You can do it Han new
      #130111 - 12/13/04 07:53 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

My Mom has lost 8 pounds in the last four weeks by watching what she ate based on the weightwatchers plan and walking on the beach religiously for 30 minutes a day. She only snacks on fruit but the exercise is the key thing.
Good luck, let us know your progress!

--------------------
S.

Re: You can do it Han new
      #130149 - 12/13/04 09:12 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Good Luck Han!! I think exercise is the key! I dropped 40 pounds a few years ago by working out on my elitpical trainer. Since my miscarriages and sprained ankle, I haven't been able to work out and the weight has come back! Think positive, you can do it!!!!! Set realistic goals and reward your self with little things when you reach them. Say, you want to loose x amount of weight by the end of the month, ok, if you do that than treat yourself to something you wouldn't normally do, like a pedicure!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re:For Michele new
      #130157 - 12/13/04 09:39 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I'm sorry about the miscarriages. They must have been so painful. Here's to the babies in your future! I have every confidence in you!!!! Hugs, Han.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re:Thanks Hon! new
      #130160 - 12/13/04 09:46 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

The physical pain only lasted about a week each time, its more the mental pain. I went through apretty serious bout with my depression. I think I've got the depression mostly under control but its a struggle! I'm in the 2 week wait right now, I sure would love to be able to tell my family that we are expecting for christmas, I can't think of a better gift!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Aw Han! new
      #130165 - 12/13/04 09:55 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Sorry that it was a discouraging time at the clinic, I don't know if I would trust any 'herbal weightloss' anyways, probably would have been a big waste of your time and money.
Going to the gym is the most important thing you can do to lose it and lose it fast! Just in the last couple weeks that I started going, I know that I have to be the same size as before, but I am noticing subtle changes and the tummy seems to be flattening.
I have other fringe benefits, too! My period this month, I only had cramps for one hour and it went away with only one tylenol! That was it! usually I am balled over in pain for two days. Strenous exercise does help. It also will make you feel happier, from releasing all of those endorphins (Do I have the right word? The brain chemical that makes you happy?)
SDomething that keeps me from overeating (or undereating) and not cheating on the IBS diet is planning out my meals. Maybe even start with planning out what times (aproximately, of course) that you will eat them. Spread everything out through out the day, and you own't have a CHANCE to eat bad stuff. Make sure part of what you are eating are things that you enjoy, or a snack-y thing like pretzels. You will feel like you are endulging, but you really aren't.
Get the bad stuff outta the house. Say goodbye to all the junkfood, no temptation. When I get the sweet tooth late at night, I start rummaging in the kitchen, then just go to bed without it, cause there is none! I buy junkfood in one serving size only. Tell hubby if he needs junkfood, to keep his own stash somewhere. Tell him you need his support and cooperation (however crazy it may seem) to reach your goals.
And, lastly, report in on the Vegas board! I just started! When you know that you are going to be held accountable and have to tell everyone what you ate, you may be more modest and not eat the junk.
keep your goal in mind and dreaming of how good you will look! My PT told me that alot of people mess up losing weight cause they don't do enough cardio. He told me to do 40 min 3 x week ATLEAST, and I am maintaining, not losing!
Good luck! This time of year is the hardest, but we'll do it!
hey, weren't we supposed to be each other's cheerleaders???

GO HAN GO! GO HAN GO!!!! *waving pom poms*

(something you will never see Sheri do again... i was always anti- cheer! )

--------------------
-Sheri

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 502 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1779

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review