All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Need white elephant gift idea
      #128888 - 12/08/04 03:31 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I need help in figuring out what white elephant gift to bring to our couples' Christmas dinner party Saturday. For those of you who don't know what a white elephant gift is, it's something dumb and useless that you bring. Usually it's something you already have at your house or in your attic. Kind of like a gag gift, except most of us don't buy it, we just get it from our house.

We trade gifts---and it can get so funny! I am having a hard time thinking of something to bring this year. I'm so good (or bad) about taking useless things to Goodwill that I don't have a lot of junk around my house.

One year I did buy something---a pair of thongs and it was great because one of the husbands who is in his 50's and very overweight, picked my gift and opened it. It got lots of laughs, and in fact, the same gift was wrapped and put in the pile the next year.

Another year we wrapped up our LSU stadium seats and a fake invitation to the Sugar Bowl (featuring LSU) since several in our group are big Univ. of Georgia fans and Georgia had been beaten by LSU that year. And of course, the diehard Georgia fan picked that gift out of the pile.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! Any ideas?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need white elephant gift idea new
      #128893 - 12/08/04 03:36 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

last year's diary?? that's pretty useless..!!!

or some of those pointless kitchen gadgets that you see that are made for the laziest people ever, (naturally I cannot think of one, but something along the lines of a teabag squeezer)

Give us more info on the profile of people there...like if they all have teenage kids like you etc...and we might be able to come up with more relevant stuff...

The most useless gift I was ever given was an emergency hammer to keep in my car in case I got trapped in it. I gave it to charity!
BTW great idea for a party!

--------------------
S.

The party people new
      #128901 - 12/08/04 03:45 PM
BL

This is a close knit group of women. We meet once a week for coffee and "therapy" so we know each other extremely well. We have couples dinner parties with the husbands once a month or so, and this is our big Christmas dinner.

At 45, I am the YOUNGEST in the group, if you can believe that. Most of them are 50-55 years old and either have kids in college or ones that have just graduated from college. Basically, we talk about our kids, college tuition, whether they'll ever get a job and manage on their own, work, golf, where to shop, vacations, etc. Did I mention this is a pretty high income level group? (we're at the bottom of this too!!!)

The guys play golf together and we have couples' parties at each others' homes, many that have gotten pretty wild! (I'm kidding here!) If you can visualize 50-year-old's with a karoke machine, singing and dancing, then you get the picture. Of course, this is always after way too much wine or margaritas, depending on the theme of the party. And this always embarrasses the husbands who just stand back and shake their heads. Hey, girls gotta have fun, huh? And did I mention we always have a big Super Bowl party and a New Year's Eve party too? We like to eat, drink and have a good time.

So for all you young un's, yes, the older group does know how to have a good time!!!

Need white elephant gift idea please.....

#128909 - 12/08/04 03:58 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Do you clip coupons? Got any expired ones?
2004 or older calendar
empty toilet paper roll
sheet of bubble wrap with the bubbles already popped!
a deck of playing cards but oops...there are a few missing
empty tube of toothpaste

I'll keep thinking.......

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#128918 - 12/08/04 04:07 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

My Sister & I did this one year....and it kind of turned on us cuz Mom & Dad loved it!! We were meaning to take a photo of the two of us together for their anniversary gift but our schedules did not allow us to. So, we bought a frame took a blank sheet of copy paper and we each drew ourselves as stick figures and autographed it. Then we said, a real picture will replace it as soon as we could find the time to get it done. But they said NO... we like this and it is still in the living room until this day.

But, you could do the same thing....draw a stick figure of yourself and then with a big black marker autograph it and stick it in a frame!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#128925 - 12/08/04 04:27 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

lets see- board game missing pieces.. but if you get rid fo true stuff- I've seen hangers show up at a white elephant thing, figurines, and on one occasion a hand scanner... seriously though- if you don't have something- go to goodwill or a thrift store and spend 2$ on something you think will work as a good gag.. we had the most god awful pelican lamp that went around every other year (you couldn't put stuffint eh next year) for all 10 years I was at ADP/metavante and it had been going aroudn even earlier then that with the group... one person had a half melted red and white striped candle in there even one year.. and one year we got smelly old army boots..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#128926 - 12/08/04 04:28 PM
BL

Oooooooh, I like that idea about the picture frame. Or maybe I could make up a fake bill from the college bursar's office for "LAST COLLEGE TUITION PAYMENT." That's what many of us are waiting for!!!

Any more ideas? Send em my way please!!!!

#128929 - 12/08/04 04:31 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

What about a lottery ticket with last week's winning numbers and a copy of a newspaper with the winning numbers?

--------------------
- Jennifer

Khyricat new
      #129047 - 12/09/04 05:45 AM
BL

Thanks for the good ideas! I will have to try to go by Goodwill. I'm sure they will have some appropriate stuff there---in fact, I may see some of the junk I took there recently! My husband would die if I bought a piece of junk that I donated to them. Ha!

Cailin new
      #129048 - 12/09/04 05:46 AM
BL

Great ideas! Boy, do I wish I had kept a diary this past year. They would get a kick out of that. Maybe I can go by the Dollar Store and look for something totally useless, like that emergency hammer!!!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 164 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1014

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review