All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
My purses arrived!!
      #128174 - 12/06/04 06:00 PM

Unregistered

Well I don't think I really explained this to anyone other than Natalie and Sinead, but I designed leather purses that are being made in China and the samples of them arrived today so now I have to select the material for the lining and such. I have been waiting like it's Christmas morning for these to finally get her and now I just can't contain myself!! (hence why I had to share).

So now once Xmas break starts at the end of the week I'll be spending the next month going around and trying to market these to boutiques and such around town and my dad has connections with people in New York and California that want to sell them. Ah I'm so excited! This is just what I needed today because school has been so stressful with final projects and presentations this week and I have hardly slept! Okay enough of that, but hooray!! Anyone know any cute places that might like to sell my purses??

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My purses arrived!! new
      #128179 - 12/06/04 07:01 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Congratulations! I had no idea you were designing purses! I'm so glad it's all going well for you and it's great that they've arrived just in time for christmas! Hope you have lot's of luck (though I'm sure you won't need it) finding places to sell them

--------------------
Amy

#128189 - 12/06/04 07:33 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

Wow, that is fantastic Brittany! I do remember you were talking about them, and showed off your adorable cigar box purses! Congratulations! I think you're definately going to go far in your career - you're so creative!! How much longer do you have in school?

--------------------
~*Amber*~

#128209 - 12/06/04 08:13 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Wow Brittany! THat is awesome! I read your post before about your designing purses, you are so multi talented and creative. I know that you will have no problem getting them sold, too!

--------------------
-Sheri

#128216 - 12/06/04 08:24 PM

Unregistered

Thanks for the motivating words! I am in my 3rd year of school this year, but I really only 2 semesters left after this one ends on Friday because the last semester of senior year I get to do an internship. I can't wait to be done!

#128217 - 12/06/04 08:25 PM

Unregistered

Yay! Thanks so much! I'll have to take pics of them and post them soon.

Yay Brittany! new
      #128265 - 12/07/04 05:40 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

You must be soo excited! Really want to see those pics!
I have a bit of a purse (handbag!) fetish! I bought a pretty aquamarine one at the weekend, just a cheapie but pretty, and I bought one for my friend's birthday that is pink satin with white and purple beading, so funky!
Yay you! You are well on the way to being a big name designer! If you want to give me any freebies I can carry the bag around and introduce them to the Irish market, I'm sure Natalie will do the same in the UK!!

--------------------
S.

oooh how exciting!!! new
      #128272 - 12/07/04 06:04 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Wahooo....how exciting is that! Im made up for you....was wondering when you'd get them! I bet you the sample looks fab doesnt it...post pics if you can! oooh I can just see it now in a shop labelled as designer with your name on...how cool! Im sure loads of boutiques will snap them up staight away...hey how much dya reckon you'll charge for them...I'll have to get one before they all sell out!! lol!!

--------------------
Natalie

Ofcourse....I can be your British representative!! lol!! n/t new
      #128273 - 12/07/04 06:06 AM
Natalie1985

--------------------
Natalie

Re: Yay Brittany! new
      #128314 - 12/07/04 08:21 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

This is so cool!! Its wonderful that you are doing this! I bet if you posted pictures here, a lot of us would buy them!!! Have you considered making your own web site and selling them?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#128316 - 12/07/04 08:32 AM
heather7476

Loc: South East Michigan

That's great news!!!! Way to go girl!!!! there is a shop in Northvill Mi that is called Girly girl!!! They would prob love them!!!!! I am so excited for you!!!! YOU ROCK!!!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

#128364 - 12/07/04 09:43 AM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

2 semesters, that's great! Where do you think you'll go for your internship? Will you stay in state, or go somewhere else? Where do you think you'd like to go after you graduate?

I definately would like to see some pictures of your purses too! And Michelle had a good point, have you thought about a website?

--------------------
~*Amber*~

#128386 - 12/07/04 10:17 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

That's really great! I would love to see one! I am a purse freak! You probably would have some great sales from us IBS ladies. Good luck with evrything!

#128420 - 12/07/04 12:09 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

That's awesome! You creative girl you I want to see what they look like! You should definately do the website idea!

--------------------
~Cara~

#128464 - 12/07/04 02:44 PM

Unregistered

Maybe I will work on designing a website for myself. I have like 60-70 days once we send in the official order until I get them, so I have plenty of time to get that going.

For my internship I would really like to use it as an opportunity to try living somewhere else. I think I'd have a hard time being away from my family since we're all so close, but I figure that 3 months is a good chance to see how it goes. I think I'd like to find a firm up in the northeast somewhere - like New York City, Connecticut, Boston or something like that. I love to travel and after spending the summer in Italy I want to find a company to work for when I graduate where they design internationally and I could travel.

I am kind of at a point right now though where I'm burnt out on Interior Design and see so many other avenues opening up for me so I guess well just have to see what happens!

Brittney's purses... new
      #128469 - 12/07/04 03:05 PM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Hi Brittney! It's so nifty to have creativity like that! I have to be the one though, to urge you to also be an activist! I thought about this when you said that the purses you designed are being made in China. I have worked for years now in issues relating to human rights in China and as a designer, you have such an opportunity to be directly involved! I don't want to preach to you about this too much because I know your focussed on a great career, but having high ethical standards regarding labor rights is important - and China is a country where you have to be careful with this or one day you could find out that unbeknownst to you your products were made in a prison or in a sweat shop. This is NOT to tell you not to do business/designing in China!!! There are companies that do it with the highest of ethical standards and I applaud them - but it is to say that in China, it's something that can't be taken forgranted. I'll get off the soapbox now, but if you have any questions on this, or wanted more information, feel free to email me - mindyj33@hotmail.com.
Good luck with the purses!
Min

you know what new
      #128497 - 12/07/04 04:27 PM

Unregistered

I actually kind of get wary about saying my purses are being made in China because I worry that people will think that I'm having them made in a sweat shop by kids or something, but my connection to the factory is through my father's business of media-based products and I've met the man who is in charge over there on many occassions and we've seen photos of their factories and all and I am definitely sure that I'm not involved in any shady or unethical dealings. I'm glad you brought this up though because I don't want anyone to think that's what I'm doing. Thanks for your cautions though. In this case I think it makes sense because the labor is much cheaper as well as the capability and resources to have it done in China, plus I am taking a class in school this semester about modern China and I remember asking my dad about this too when I was younger and curious about his things being made in China, but with their gross overpopulation there are so many people that are unemployed and factory jobs being provided by my work for instance give them money, food, and places to live. So essentially I think that it's kind of a win-win situation in my case - not to say that there aren't things going on over there that are horribly wrong. I assure you that I will be cautious and ethical actions are my priority!

HAHA I like that - my British representative ! n/t new
      #128498 - 12/07/04 04:28 PM

Unregistered

Brittany Jean new
      #128501 - 12/07/04 04:37 PM

Unregistered

That is the "brand name" of my purses. When I started making my cigar box purses a year or so ago I had name plates made up at a trophy shop in town and they are about an inch and half long and I signed my name (first and middle because I figure someday my last name will change and I want to be consistent, plus I think Brittany Jean is more catchy than Brittany Allen) but they scanned my signature and screened them onto the little gold plate and then I screwed those on to everyone of my purses. So now my dad is helping me come up with a way to rivet these nameplates on to the leather.

As for prices, we'll sell them on consignment to stores, so I guess they would really determine the final price to an extent, but these are genuine italian imported leather so they cost us a pretty penny to get made - so I'm thinking the small clutch should retail for somewhere about $45-$60, the medium sized handbag would be between $70-$90, and the large one which would hold school books, could be a diaper bag, nice sized carry-on, would probably be like $125-$160. I'm not sure though, my dad is Mr. Businessman so he will definitely be helping me figure all of that out - he is my hero

By the way...if anyone wants to give Cigar Box Purses as Christmas presents, I still have time to make and ship them and I custom make them to whatever you like!

lol enough advertisements for me!

Well you've sold one already!! lol!! new
      #128504 - 12/07/04 04:46 PM
Natalie1985

Hey Brit,
Id definately be interested in one of the cigar box purses for xmas....no doubt about it...but Im guessing it'd be more difficult and expensive getting one shipped over here right?? How much do you charge for those? If you could find out somehow how much it would prob cost(including shipping) for me to get one then I'd definately love to order. Infact....its prob best if its not for xmas...my birthday is 14th January which is obviously coming up soon and I'd love one for that...plus if I get some dosh for xmas(and I will as Ill be working too) then I'd order one to come for the new year...I know I'll be able to speak to you better on messenger than here...so next time you're on we can discuss it! ooooh custom made...how exciting!

P.S love the name...has a real ring to it....by the way....and you;re probably gona kill me for saying this but it just came into my head when I read you're post...and I know her name is spelt differently but....isnt Britney Spears middle name Jean too????

--------------------
Natalie

Edited by Natalie1985 (12/07/04 05:00 PM)

don't remind me! new
      #128530 - 12/07/04 05:58 PM

Unregistered

lol yeah that's her middle name too haha

well i can't wait to make you a purse! we'll definitely talk soon on messenger. hooray! I love to make them!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 152 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3729

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review