All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS and Agoraphobia
      #127931 - 12/05/04 08:33 PM
Jordan

Reged: 12/05/04
Loc: WA

Having IBS is bad enough on it's own, but on top of that I also have Agoraphobia. And the worst part is that they just feed eachother. I'm Agoraphobic because I'm so scared of having an ibs attack away from home, and the stress of leaving my house triggers my ibs because I'm Agoraphobic. Talk about a catch 22. It's an awful, awful thing. I've had these conditions since I was in 3rd grade. The summer before my Junior year of highschool I had an ibs attack on a plane ride and I ended up missing my entire junior year of highschool. I managed to get my agoraphobia under control for the last two years, but about a month and a half ago I had an awful ibs attack about 2 blocks from my house and since then the agoraphobia has kind of taken over again. I was just wondering if anybody else here has had issues with both ibs and agoraphobia. I know i'm not alone in having ibs and I know i'm not alone in having agoraphobia, but so far i haven't been able to find anybody who shares my unique dual condition.

--------------------
Too crazy to go outside, not crazy enough to have an imaginary friend
~Marge Simpson

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS and Agoraphobia new
      #127950 - 12/06/04 02:52 AM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

I also have emetophobia (I know a couple of others do as well).
It can often produce thought patterns and behaviours very similar to agoraphobia, so I think I have an idea of what you're going through.
Have you looked into seeing a psychologist/psychiatrist/counsellor at all? When your life is restricted that much by fear it's worth trying out some options like cognitive-behavioural therapy. Antidepressants or anti-anxiety meds might help you bust out there as well.. but definitely accompany them with some counselling. Professional head-shrinkers can teach you how to cope, how to relax, and how to get out there past those fears.

I'm glad you posted though. The first step to feeling better is knowing you're not alone! And you're not!

--------------------
*Emma*

#127991 - 12/06/04 07:03 AM
Jordan

During the whole junior year of hell I did go on anti depressants (which i'm still on) and I went to therapy. My therapist didn't do much cognitive therapy with me and I just eventually stopped seeing her. In January I'm going to England (I'll be drugged the whole way there) to stay for 6 months. I'm going to start some cognitive therapy over there. I just googled emetophobia, and that sounds awful, and very similar to agoraphobia in ways. It's nice to know i'm not the only phobic IBS sufferer. thanks.

--------------------
~Marge Simpson

#127999 - 12/06/04 07:09 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Hello!!! I am sorry your having such a rough time!!!! I don't have Agoraphobia But I still just wanted to say Hello and Welcome!!!! Feel free to ask anything or just vent!!!! Hope your feeling better soon!!!
Hugs

--------------------
Heather7476

#128001 - 12/06/04 07:12 AM
Jordan

Thanks, and hello to you too.

--------------------
~Marge Simpson

#128037 - 12/06/04 09:23 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Please get into a therapist at least. And try the hypno tapes! I was starting to get very agoraphobic, and my therapist really helped me with it. It will keep re-occuring if you don't get help, the mind is so powerful! I know how scary it feels. Try and get yourself some help, please....!

--------------------
~Cara~

#128041 - 12/06/04 09:39 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I am prone to panick attacks when I'm in crowds or encolsed places, like parking ramps. I even have a hard time shopping in big stores like meijers because my anxiety can get pretty bad. I know its not the same but I can sympathize for sure. I really find anti-depressants to help and I also have a script for Xanax when I get bad. I also see a shrink, she helps me a lot, helps me to put things in prespective and to deal with things easier. I've been doing much better. I'm not sure if I can offer any real advice but I hope you feel better soon.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

? for the purplelollie new
      #128170 - 12/06/04 05:22 PM
FEMBETH

Reged: 09/20/04

I was wondering about the emetophobia. I looked it up and it sounds like I have some of the signs. I was wondering if you could help me out?
It started when my son was about 2yrs old and we took him to burgerking to play and eat burgers. That night we put him to bed and closed the door so he would not wonder the house. The next morning I caught the dog sniffing his door. I went to check on him and he was laying sideways across his bed and had vomited on the bed and tried to open the door to come and get me ,but I didn't hear him. That just really freaked me out. The thought that he could have choked. I swear to this day he got the stomach flu from the play thing at burger king. I have been crazy about germs ever since. I make my children clean hands after leaving stores. They are not allowed to dip there food twice. They are not allowed to touch there face in public(for fear of flu germs). I get very nausiated if I hear someone has the flu. I have a lot of anxiety when people say they have a upset stomach. I work at a buffet so sometimes I will eat there,but I never go out at restauraunts mostly from my IBS. When I do eat from buffet I wash my hands first and then wash them again after touching the buffet spoons but before I eat. If I have been in public and wash my hands at home I have to wash the nobs at the sink. The kids are not allowed to touch the door in the public restrooms I have to push them with my arm or use a papertowel.
I had a experience that I was having anxiety attack and thought I had the stomach flu noone was home I feared I would choke on the vomit. I became so scared I had a panic attack and ran for my neighbor and passed out in her front yard.
I have no prob seeing other people get sick and no prob cleaning it but I fear me getting sick and choking on it.
I have also have bad D with my Ibs and have had a accident in the Mall.(worst nightmare). So along with the stomach flu is D and uncontrollable. Double wammy with the fear of Stomach flu.
Thank you for listening to my life story but I was hoping you could tell me if this sounds like emetophobia.
Thanks again!

fembeth

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 283 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2454

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review