All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Zelnorm costs $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
      #126470 - 11/30/04 05:55 PM
Katspice

Reged: 11/30/04

Hello everyone! This is my first time on the message boards...So I am looking for some prescription advice. Zelnorm helps my IBS with constipation tremendously (nothing else seems to work very well) BUT I have no insurance, and can't afford it! Any suggestions????
Thanks,
Kat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Zelnorm costs $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ new
      #126532 - 12/01/04 05:52 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I also tried Zelnorm, and got relief initially - only to have it quit working altogether. Do a search on this site, and you will see that many folks here had the same experience. Also read the FDA warning that was issued in the research section of the boards.

I began taking Acacia and a calcium/magnesium supplement after researching this site. Along with following the basic precepts of the diet here, I am now free of C and feeling better than I have in more than 2 years! Research here. The Zelnorm may not be necessary. I only took one six-week round and have been med-free ever since using the supplements. They aren't free of course, but much less expensive than the Zelnorm.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#126546 - 12/01/04 06:59 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I would also agree! I took Zelnorm for about 3 weeks and did not like the results I was getting. I kept having this funny twitching in my colon almost like when I was pregnant and could feel the baby move. I stopped taking it and have started using Acaia and other fiber supplements and have had great success. It is much less exspensive. Plus I worrry about the long term effects of Zelnorm!

#126569 - 12/01/04 08:52 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03

Not sure if I can do this, but I have a box of unused Zelnorm that I can't use because I found out I'm pregnant. I don't need it anymore. I will send it if y'all won't think I'll get in trouble....

--------------------
~jules

#126570 - 12/01/04 08:59 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

The zelnorm also stopped working for me. I have found that miralax is a better solution for long term. Your body can become dependant on miralax so you may have to take it forever, I recommend it as a last resort but I've been on it for years and it hasn't stopped working like the zelnorm. I know they recently came out with a generic for miralax but since my insurance pays for it, I'm not sure how much it costs.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#126593 - 12/01/04 10:24 AM
Amy1973

Reged: 09/17/04
Loc: Mesa,AZ

Zelnorm worked for me for about three months...Then I would pass gas and would have blood on my underwear..My GI took me off of it and I haven't had any blood on my undies since..

I hope you find something else that works for you.

#127042 - 12/02/04 12:40 PM
Katspice

You would be a life saver! I have been feeling terrible since I have been off of it. I just moved and lost my insurance in the process, so I can't afford the cost of the medication. You can e-mail me at katkneisel@mac.com- maybe we can work something out. It shouldn't go to waste when others really need it!
Thanks,
Kat

Be careful! new
      #127047 - 12/02/04 12:56 PM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Hi girls,
I had to chime in on this one. My husband knows about this stuff for his work - knows so much about it that he's not allowd to tell me all he really knows. But I asked him about this thread and he said that Zelnorm probably isn't on the list of drugs that's regulated by the DEA, however, it is NEVER a good idea to send bottles of pills through the mail - if it worked that easily than drug dealers would be sending little amber bottles of extacy all over the country and they wouldn't worry about this whole drug trafficking thing. If you decide to transfer them then be careful with how you get them from one place to the other and keep them in thier original bottle. This is a quote from my husband "if she sends them through the mail, there's about a 50 percent chance that she will have a group of angry men pounding on her door within a week or so and she'll have alot of explaining to do!" So - I'm not saying let the pills go to waist, but be careful with how you do this - just don't want any groups of angry men to come knocking!!!
Min

Re: Be careful! new
      #127048 - 12/02/04 12:57 PM
jules

Thanks Min...I was going to ask again if I was going to get in trouble...but I really want to help. Tell your hubby thanks..

--------------------
~jules

#127051 - 12/02/04 01:07 PM
Katspice

I know, I know.......You're so sweet to offer help! What to do? I guess it's a risk of sorts...........

#127054 - 12/02/04 01:11 PM
jules

Well, where do you live?

--------------------
~jules

#127062 - 12/02/04 01:22 PM
Katspice

I live in San Francisco- pretty far from Michigan. Hmmm.

#127063 - 12/02/04 01:25 PM
jules

durn it... anyone have any suggestions? or is this just a risky idea?

--------------------
~jules

#127072 - 12/02/04 01:41 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I have to agree with Mindy. There are so many warnings out there about not sharing prescription medication. I believe, also, that I saw an article about a few people ending up in the hospital after they took Zelnorm so this is definitely something your doc should prescribe.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#127080 - 12/02/04 01:55 PM
Katspice

Oh well. It's up to you....It's not like it is contraband, and I don't know if it was packaged up if ayone would ever know......but it is a slightly awkward situation. Wish I could just pick it up or something. I would suck it up and pay for it, but after moving to San Francisco I can't afford the $195 or so that it costs!

#127107 - 12/02/04 02:46 PM
Katspice

Oh I definitely have a prescription- just no insurance to pay for it!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 223 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14044

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review