All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
An update on my ongoing battle....
      #125490 - 11/26/04 11:58 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder. It is a dehabilitating mental illness, coupled with depression has affected my life for over 30 years. I am finally receiving medication and therapy to correct this disorder. It has been extremely difficult, but I want to get better for the sake of my children. Mental illnesses are often hereditary, and I do not want my behaviours (compulsions) to pass on to my kids.

For the first time in my life, I am discovering what it feels like to feel normal. I've had 3 years of postpartum depression, and am just coming out of it. Coupled with the OCD, I have not felt well in a long time. I am finally discovering that life exists beyond the terrorizing fear of germs, viruses, etc. That's to name only a few of the OCD things I suffer from.
I am making major gains - I am fighting with all that is within me to get better. The OCD became so bad that it almost took over my life completely. As those of you with children know, that children will make you do amazing things in your life. I am fighting for my children - I want to get better for their sake as well as my own.
I just wanted to say thanks - to all of you for your support. This board means a lot to me - everyone is so friendly and supportive. It's an honour to be a moderator - to help others is a gift. I just wanted to thank you all for the gift you have given me - throughout this struggle, and that I am FINALLY DOING BETTER!!!!!!!!!
With love, Han.
XO

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: An update on my ongoing battle.... new
      #125498 - 11/26/04 12:57 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I have only been a member here since Spring, and I am just thrilled to see someone so dedicated to getting better!

I am also curious about your Obsessive/Compulsive. How exactly is that identified? I have a MIL that I seriously believe has this problem. It is getting more pronounced, and she is becoming almost dysfunctional. What are some key markers? How do you suggest help? This lady is so scared of germs and dirt until she is making everyone miserable! I just want to help.

I hope this isn't too nosey or direct. I'm just concerned.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

You're my HERO new
      #125499 - 11/26/04 12:59 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I am FINALLY admitting I have a physical disease that is NOT MY FAULT. I have fibromyalgia, migrianes, IBS, anxiety/depression with these other illnesses, PMDD (PMS with a twist...a real med. disorder), and others.

I am finally asking for HELP!

I asked hubby to walk down the block with me last night. And to do so every night for 2 weeks as I cannot do it alone (physically or emotionally).

I take meds for all the above med/psych. issues.

I am NOT returning all my phone calls right away to take care of ME 1st.

Way to go Han! You're my hero...thanks for inspiring me to continue on my journey! And thank you for inspiring me to share this post!

*hugs*

Ruchie

P.S. E-mail me anytime!

Love ya!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#125505 - 11/26/04 01:44 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

This is not nosey at all. When OCD id diagnosed, it it diagnosed by a significant interrupation in daily life (more than a few hours a day). It's that simple and complex at the same time. I would gently suggest to your MIL that you may have this and that ther is HELP available. My experience, though, with older people with OCD is that they are not willing to change or seek help. It can become so ingrained that they lose touch with reality. I have two cousins that are so far gone with OCD that they are not willing to listen to what I say or do. They admit that it's a problem but are unwilling to change. It takes someone who is willing to change to alter their behaviours. With love and support, you may be able to help your MIL. My prayers are with you.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#125520 - 11/26/04 02:20 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I just wanted to say I admire you for fighting for your kids. It makes me want to get better for mine (although I suffer IBS not OCD, I had an uncle who beat it so I'm sure you will too). Kids make us want to do the most incredible things. Good luck and keep us updated. You are such a strong person I know you can get on top of it

--------------------
Amy

Yay! new
      #125524 - 11/26/04 02:28 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Han, that's FANTASTIC! Good on you. Coming out of depression is a wonderful feeling, isn't it!?

#125528 - 11/26/04 02:39 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Hans,

So glad that you are doing better. I know this has got to be a daily battle for you. And yes, you're right. Having children motivates us to do a lot of things we wouldn't normally do. The hope of seeing my boys grow and mature is what has kept me going during my struggles with depression.
Bipolar disorder runs in my family, so I know my condition is not something I can help. I've had people say to me, "Are you sure you have that?" Like I am imagining these ups and downs! Unfortunately, mental illnesses are not seen by many as "legitimate" conditions. But I'd rather face it and deal with it than end up like my father's sister did (Her condition was untreated, and she committted suicide.)

Your children are precious! I know you are enjoying them. It just seems like yesterday that your daughter was born. How old is she now?

#125656 - 11/27/04 11:31 AM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

I'm so happy that you are able to feel normal. Poor thing! What a heavy, heavy burden to carry! I'm so, so glad that you're getting the help you need. Your children are very lucky to have you and so are we on the boards!
Terri

So happy to hear you are doing better. YAAY! -nt- new
      #125682 - 11/27/04 03:50 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

--------------------

Tee Cee..... new
      #125684 - 11/27/04 03:57 PM
barbie

Hi,

Aren't you supposed to be having a grandbaby soon? How's it going. The waiting can be so stressful. My new grandbaby is two weeks old already. She had to go to the doc the other day cause she was running a little fever. Fever is very serious for newborns....but everything was OK. My son is like me....a worrier....and he's all tied up in knots worrying that she could get sick.

Keep us posted on how things are going.

Barbie

--------------------

Hi Barbie........ new
      #125700 - 11/27/04 05:40 PM
MissS

Hi Barbie!
Yes, my fourth grandchild is due on or before December 27th. (If she doesn't deliver naturally by the 27th, she'll have a C-section on that date.) Everything's going well with her. I'm very anxious and can hardly wait to see my new grandbaby. I've had dreams about her and that just makes me all the more anxious.

Did you have your Cat Scan yet? If so, what did you find out? How are you feeling? I know you must be very excited about your grandchild. Is this your first one? What was causing your little one to have a fever? My goodness, that is scary. I'm very glad to hear that she's okay. I may as well confess that I'm a worrier, too, and I'll join the Worry Wart Club right along with you and your son.

I'll be sure to let everyone know when Makenzie Jo is born.
Thanks for asking,
Terri

Hi Terri new
      #125754 - 11/28/04 07:56 AM
barbie

Hi Terri,

I know you must be excited. This is your fourth? Wow! Do they all live near you? Yes, this is my first.

Marisah Anne had a fever of 99 and the doc said she was OK.
It's really dangerous when it reaches 100.4 The bad thing about our situation is that they are in Salt Lake City and we are in Houston, so everything is over the phone or e-mails. My son has had so much anxiety that the doc put him on Xanax to help him. His main concern is that she might get sick at this critical newborn stage. His first day back at work is Monday and he's a little stressed about that cause he will be missing her after being with her all day for 2 weeks. He was much better last night after he took the Xanax....laughing & joking.

My catscan showed that I have sinusitis. The doc put me on antiobiotics and a special nasal spray. I am feeling pretty good, though and thanks for asking.

I know you can hardly wait for little Makenzie Jo (what a cute name) to be born. I bet every time the phone rings your heart skips a beat!

Be sure and keep us posted.

Barbie

--------------------

Hi Barbie new
      #125782 - 11/28/04 10:14 AM
MissS

Yes, all my grandchildren live close. Sammy is about 5 minutes away and Sage and Trenton are about 45 minutes from me. I see Sammy the most and we're very close. And, pretty soon, Makenzie Jo will be 5 minutes away, too.

I hope you will get to see your Marisah Anne before too long. There's just nothing like holding and kissing your grandchildren!

I'm glad your son has something to help ease his stress. It's a wonderful experience but the first one can be especially stressful and worrisome. My daughter was so scared that she and her husband moved in with us for a couple of weeks. She just felt like she had no idea what to do. I think that's why Sammy and I bonded so closely. I was taking care of him most of the time. Of course, I didn't mind it at all!

Sinusitis, huh? Ugh, I know what a pain that can be. I'm so glad you're feeling better.

I'll be sure to let everyone know when Makenzie arrives.
Terri

#125816 - 11/28/04 11:55 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hey Han - I knew you had OCD, but never realized you were having such a rough time. I'm glad you're doing better now. I love your latest pic BTW!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 695 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3195

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review