All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
B-day, dog, depression, fibro, UPDATE....
      #124988 - 11/23/04 03:22 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Ok my b-day was a MESS! I was depressed AND PMSing!

Hubby and I set out to get me a puppy. We went to the pound 1st thing at 10am when they opened. No dogs for us. Then we went to the next pound. they opened at noon. BUT there was a guy standing therew with a dog (we THOUGHT it was a puppy). The guy had found it on the highway (eek!!!!!!) and he couldn't hang on to it cause the dog and his cat didn't get along. SO guess who took the dog?

Well...now we had TWO dogs on our hands (we'd brought our dog Shana along to meet the dog we chose to make sure theyw ere a match), so we took them to the doggie park to play (no worries, I sat on the ground!) At the doggie park there was a PUPPY! It was PERFECT! This lady had found it on her street and wanted to give it a good home. She wanted us to have it I wanted to take the puppy AND the dog from the pound but hubby said we had to figure out what to do with the 1st dog.

We brought them home and our girl Shana was NOT happy. She felt stifled by this male Welsh Corgi mix...

In the end...we have Shana back and tha's the end. She's our BABY and we love her...so for now one dog only.

I was horribly depressed on my b-day though. I cried in hubby's arms. I told him how I wanted a dog to love me. I'm lonel at home all day byt myself. I don't have friends where we live. I'm in pain. I'm depressed. It was a bad b-day....BUT at least I got some stuff out!

I need Shana! She is NOT a giving dog...she likes to PLAY (which is often hard for me), and that is how she loves. Shje doesn't cuddle or lick...just plays. And ONLY when she wants too LOL

But she's really perfect for me!

As for the depression...the doc wants me to take Effexor WITH the Lexapro. I'm nervous! Today I woke up majorly sick and in pain (it was cold and rainy...my joints were on FIRE!), so I will have to get the Effeor smaples from doc tom.

I ate SO MUCH Reese's cereal today. Not helpful.

*sigh*

There IS a light at the end of all this...I have hope...but things aren't completely outta the dark yet. But I'm working on it!

Love you all...thankd for being here...

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: B-day, dog, depression, fibro, UPDATE.... new
      #125026 - 11/23/04 05:01 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Hey Ruchie,

Sorry you had such a bad day- and on your birthday no less! I just wanted to tell you not to give up on the second dog thing, but maybe on the puppy idea. Our dog met about 20 other dogs before she found one she liked. We met some puppies, but she didn't care for them. She's nervous around kids and baby dogs. In the end, we ended up picking the dog that she liked best, we didn't even have an opinion on him yet. She fell in love with him right away and it took us a little longer. But now we adore him. He was about the same age and size as her, and that seemed to make a big difference to her. It helps that he's also the friendliest most mellow dog in the world. She really did a great job of picking a second dog, but we had to let go of all of our preference and opinions on the matter. Also, you can train your dog to be more loving. When we first got Charlie he wasn't big on giving kisses (and Cara was, so I was used to them). He also didn't know how to snuggle, he would push you away with his paws and squirm constantly. After a couple of years Charlie knows what kisses are and he'll give them-not as many as Cara but still enough to make me feel loved. And he's learned how to cuddle too. It took training, but he's happy now that he knows how to make us happy.

Unlike dogs, I've got no anti-depressant commiseration/advice- so hang in there and I really hope you feel better soon!

#125046 - 11/23/04 06:37 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

despite everything.. at least you were up enough to post an update.. and thats a good sign, things WILL get better.. I am sure they can't get worse!

*HUG* my family is telling me I told you so on dairy stuff since I have 2 cousins who are anaphalactically allergic, I keep pointing out that its not the same thing to be intollerant of it or to have it set off other problems in my bowels as to be that allergic! ARGH! anyway- made fudge with rice milk today!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#125073 - 11/23/04 09:42 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Ruchie,

Sorry that you had such a bad b-day I hope things are looking up for you by the time you read this!

I just wanted to mention something about the Effexor. Obviously I'm not a doctor but I just wanted to give you some info based on personal experience. As far as SSRIs go, the withdrawal symptoms that people experience from discontinuing them tend to be dependent upon the half-life of the drug. The shorter the half-life, the worse the withdrawal. I used to take Paxil and I had a heck of a time getting off it because of the withdrawal symptoms...it was so bad I almost considered staying on it indefinately despite the yucky side effects from it.

Anyways, I let the doctors talk me into going on the Effexor in August, and sure enough, I had the same awful side effects (SSRIs just don't seem to be for me) and now I'm having withdrawal symptoms trying to get off them. Anyways, I did some research and Effexor is the only drug on the market with a shorter half-life than Paxil (and Paxil is well known for having terrible withdrawal) so Effexor is widely regarded as being one of the hardest to get off of. Plus, they're starting to only sell them in the time-released capsules so you can't even cut the pills to divide up the doses if necessary.

Anyways, I just wanted to mention that to you as it might want to be something to consider before trying that drug. I know Effexor works really well for some people but I feel they should know up front how hard it might be to have to get off it.

Good luck!
Kelly

#125079 - 11/23/04 11:49 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Oh sweetie, I was real worried about you! Okay, you're depressed, but this post sounds so positive! You got stuff out with your hubby (v.good for you) and you sorted out that Shana is the dog for you!

Even though she doesn't like to cuddle (and not many grown dogs I've known have done) she still loves you! I get a kick out of just having my dog's company (miss him like crazy atm as he's staying with my brother ). I talk to him, he makes me get out of the house pretty much everyday (unless I can't get out of bed, of course!), and he LIKES my company. Dogs are fantastic - they're always pleased to see you. I LOVE that! What games does Shana like to play? My dog rarely does games - he was trained as a gundog so chasing a rubber toy seems a bit tame to him! Can you play fetch sitting on the grass?

I understand about the withdrawel symptoms being a problem, but I'm still at the please-god-don't-take-them-away-I-need-them stage with SSRIs! They totally turned me around - I am totally loopy insanely depressed without them!

Sympathy on the eating front. I kicked my own butt yesterday cos I was eating cinnamon sugar and got major sugar crashes which made me feel so awful! I keep trying to tell myself it's not worth it, but it only lasts a couple of days and then I relapse. Sigh....

Good luck hon and keep in touch!

#125110 - 11/24/04 05:14 AM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

Hi,

Hope you are feeling better today. I too am at home alone all day and the two cats are great company. I really wanted a dog, but I don't have the energy right now to look after it enough.

Anyway, I just got two rats and they are fantastic!! They are great is you are feeling sick as they are happy just to sit on the back of your neck and snuggle into your hair! At first I thought they would be a bad pet, but they are so clean, intellegent and affectionate. Mine are called Petal and Poppy. I would recommend getting two though, as we got one and she was really depressed. I have just gone back and bought her friend and she is SOO happy - eating for the first time in days.

Anyway, they are easy to look after and can't fail to bring a smile to your face on the gloomiest of days!!

You probably think I'm mad for this suggestion, but I'm a true rat convert!!

Take care of yourself .. I know how depressing aching joints are, and good luck with the new meds.

Catherine

#125120 - 11/24/04 06:10 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Awww, that stinks you didn't get the puppy! Two dogs, epecially puppies, are alot of work though, so maybe it is better that you didn't. Atleast you are on the right track getting your meds prescribed!
And anytime you are lonely come here and chat, there is always someone around ready to talk to Ruchie!
We all loves ya, and like always, I am wishing you a timely recovery.
!HUGS!
-sheri

--------------------
-Sheri

#125132 - 11/24/04 06:44 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Ruchie, I'm sorry you had such a terrible birthday! I don't know about you, but sometimes I find birthdays to be disappointing anyway b/c we have these wonderful childhood memories of them and they never seem to live up to that anymore! I'm sorry to hear you weren't able to get another dog... hopefully someday!

My birthday was good, but if it makes you feel better, the two days since have been pretty crappy. Around 1:30 am the night after my birthday I woke up with horrible cramping and had my first IBS attack in over a year... and I have no clue why!! I can't think of anything bad I ate that day. Luckily I was able to head it off with Bentyl before it got too severe, but it was still very frustrating, especially since I was still on a high from my bday and seeing my friend Jen and this brought me down hard. Plus the tendonitis in my ankle has been worse than usual the past few days... on Monday I could hardly hobble down to the bathroom!! Sigh. Anyway, I'm feeling better now, but I just wanted to let you know you're not alone in your frustration. Sorry to hijack your thread! I hope things start looking up for you soon. Take care!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Effexor and Lexapro new
      #125321 - 11/24/04 04:59 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

Ruch,

I think that may be a great combo. Remember, many of your health problems are highly impacted by Seratonin levels, but there are other neurotransmitters that Effexor and Lexapro work on, so this may be a good combo.

The Effexor, though, may make you really really tired at first. Do a search on these boards... other people have talked about it and I shared my friend's tale. When she first started it, and again when she's changed doses, she slept all of the time (which is not like her).

Anyway, keep me updated (of course).

*j

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 297 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1047

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review