All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
What's everyone got planned for Thanksgiving??
      #122859 - 11/17/04 01:28 PM

Unregistered

Just curious what everyone was doing for Thanksgiving or if you're going on a trip somewhere???

I'm going with my family to NYC from Tues through Sun because one of my younger brothers is in the Macy's Parade with his band at school. Ooh! You guys will have to look for them if you watch the parade - it's the Riverview High School Kiltie Band from Sarasota, FL and they wear scottish kilts and they bagpipers too - lol you won't miss them!
I am so looking forward to the cold weather! The high's are still in the 80's here - I think I need to go to the beach this weekend!

So what does everyone else have planned???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What's everyone got planned for Thanksgiving?? new
      #122875 - 11/17/04 02:09 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

no family this year.. which is a first... but we hosting friends at the house... just a few of us since its on the market.. and DH is smoking a turkey.. I actually have Thurs/Fri off which is odd but its now my weekend so I get to attend and even cook.

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

good luck! new
      #122885 - 11/17/04 02:49 PM

Unregistered

Enjoy your days off and getting ready for the dinner! Sounds like fun!

Thanksgiving new
      #122914 - 11/17/04 04:41 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

We don't have Thanksgiving over here, Christmas is our big holiday and the country will shut down for three or four days then, I will be off work from 24th-29th inclusive without taking any holidays because they are all public holidays, can't wait (says the girl who was on hols last week and sick this week, I can't even remember what my desk looks like!)

You guys all enjoy yours, and Brittany that is so cool that your brother will be in the parade!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

It'll be pretty quiet here... new
      #122917 - 11/17/04 04:45 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

DH's sister is coming and that's it. I'll still make all the Thanksgiving goodies, but in smaller portions!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

sounds like fun! enjoy your day!! nt new
      #122924 - 11/17/04 04:53 PM

Unregistered

turkey sandwich new
      #122928 - 11/17/04 05:00 PM

Unregistered

Well have a turkey sandwich and think about us over here in America next Thursday Oooh, and your nice vacation isn't too far away! I bet you can't wait for some more time off, right?? lol. I always do that - but once you get a taste of time off it's just so addictive! Though being so busy all the time I find I go nuts when I don't have something to do! It's a bit of a curse, so I end up working on making purses or something. Well anyhow I hope you're feeling better! You are, aren't you?? Hope so!

#122931 - 11/17/04 05:03 PM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

I'm an poutry and avian science student at my University, so Thanksgiving isn't a "holiday" for us. We start processing the turkeys at 6am on Friday and continue through until Tuesday or Wednesday depending on how long it takes us to process them all. Unfortunately we don't have access to all of the neat gizmos they use commercially, so it'll take us a while to process the 500 or so Turkeys, especially since it's all student labor.

I'll be spending the actually holiday back home with my family since we get three days off from classes. My brother will be coming home, I haven't seen him since July (not sure that I want to though ). I'm just really looking forward to having a few days to catch up on my sleep.

Meg

Re: turkey sandwich new
      #122932 - 11/17/04 05:05 PM
cailin

I will!

So far on my time "off" I have done all my laundry from my holidays, including the ironing, tidied the house, made ADB's, gone grocery shopping,cleaned my bedroom, sorted out clothes to give to charity, all in three days!
I still have photos I want to sort out, and we are getting building work done on the house the week after next so BF and I have to clear out the master bedroom which is currently being used as a storeroom- I have to convince him to donate clothes that are 2 sizes too small for him to charity!! He is SUCH a hoarder!

I find it so hard to sit and do nothing, and I feel like wathcing a movie on DVD is too much of a commitment of time. I have Moulin Rouge and Girl with a Pearl Earring here that I haven't watched yet so I will do that tomorrow or Friday.. Saturday will be spent in DIY stores buying our walltiles for the new bathroom and the other bits and pieces that we need....

Never an idle moment!

Have you pictures of the purses you make?

Sinead

--------------------
S.

#122934 - 11/17/04 05:09 PM
RachelT

Jeesh!! Your being-home-sick-from-work-time-off is sounding more like a vacation!!! You sound like you're feeling better anyway!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

#122942 - 11/17/04 05:13 PM
cailin

But I did laundry!!

I always feel better when its bedtime..remember I only got up at 3pm today and couldn't bring myself to leave the house to go the 300 yards to the nearest store to buy highly important ADB ingredients, so I can't be that well.

I am shattered tired and my throat is pretty nasty and my eyes hurt and I am coughing. I am just a cheery person!

Can't believe that there are only 2 more days left in the week!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

my turn to apologize... new
      #122944 - 11/17/04 05:16 PM
RachelT

I'm sorry Sinead... I don't doubt that you're genuinly sick. I was just picking on you! I'm such a baby when I'm sick...

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Re: my turn to apologize... new
      #122948 - 11/17/04 05:19 PM
cailin

don't worry Rachel! I didn't take it that way, just I know that I have been overdoing it a bit and I am so happy not to be at work that I am treating it like vacation! at least today I stayed in bed, yesterday I stayed up from 9am after my dr's appointment.
Lots of R&R tomorrow to get the most out of this, I really don't feel any better today than I did yesterday but I am a lot better than I was on Monday Hopefully I will start seeing the effects tomorrow, I really don't want to be sick on my own time at the weekend!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Re: my turn to apologize... new
      #122951 - 11/17/04 05:22 PM
RachelT

Awe! Well, get some good rest tonight and treat yourself like a baby tomorrow.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

pic of my purses new
      #122953 - 11/17/04 05:24 PM

Unregistered

You sound like a busy little sick girl! I bet having work done on your house is mega stressful too! Oooh and picking new wall tiles- how exciting! (can you tell i'm studying interior design- lol) Well good luck with that!

I didn't have very good pics of my purses on my computer, but this is what there was. They are made on cigar boxes and I embroider the fabric and line the insides with fabric and put in a mirror and then make a fun beaded handle. Have you seen anything like this over there? It's one of those trends that is really really popular some places and other places no one has seen anything like it!

Glad you seem to be feeling better!! Good luck with the house!

Re: pic of my purses new
      #122956 - 11/17/04 05:28 PM
cailin

very cute! I have a bit of a bag (we call purses "handbags" a purse here is a wallet) fetish!

Cigars aren't as popular over here so it would be pretty hard to get the cigar boxes- where do you get enough to make purses?

My 13 year old sister is making jewelery at the moment for a craft fair at school and she would love the idea of making her own purse, I will have to show her the pics, she will love them!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

#122961 - 11/17/04 05:34 PM

Unregistered

You should see the pile of empty cigar boxes I have sitting my garage and at my work table. There are tons of places here to by cigars so I just ask for the empty ones and normally I just have to pay $1 or $2. It's lots of fun and I make pretty good money from them - though I have the hardest time charging people I know more than like $45 for one. Otherwise I sell them places around town for like $90 and I've had them in silent auctions and one has gone for $400! Right now I'm in the process of designing leather handbags that are getting made at a factory in China - the prototypes should be coming back to me soon and I can't wait to see them!! Definitely show your sister and encourage her to get out there and sell her stuff!

#122964 - 11/17/04 05:41 PM
cailin

Brittany
that sounds so exciting, like I said I love buying handbags, you will have to post your leather designs to make me drool.
My sister, Grainne (Graw-in-ya) is selling little bead rings for 30c and bracelets made from beads and safety pins for €3 (about $4) and other bracelets and anklets made with florists wire for €3, She is driving me crazy about buying her beads though as her and her 3 friends who are making them have so many orders in that they ran out of beads twice and can't get them anywhere near home at all so she keeps calling me saying "'nead, you're my FAVOURITE big sister"...
I will DEFINITELY show her the bags, her friends and herself will be excited at the prospcet of something else to make, although that will mean I will be sent to cigar shops AND bead shops...hmmm

Sinead

--------------------
S.

what a nice sister new
      #122965 - 11/17/04 05:44 PM

Unregistered

You are so nice to do that. There is definitely no lack of craft stores over here. If your sister has any questions or anything about how I do it you can always email me and I can take other pics and explain it (my email is on my profile) Tell her good luck for me!
I'll post my leather bags when I get them!

Shouldn't you be sleeping? It's late over there! lol

Re: what a nice sister new
      #122966 - 11/17/04 05:52 PM
cailin

that is so sweet, Gra will be VERY impressed, I will be talking to her at the weekend and will tell her all about it then

and yes I should be sleeping, its coming up on 2am, but as soon as I go to bed I will start to cough and my throat will hurt so I don't want to go even though my eyes are shutting as I type. I swore an hour ago that I would go in 15 minutes, at least I can sleep all day tomorrow

Bed in a minute, but you guys here are all so engaging!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

LOL - no more talking - sleep! nt new
      #122969 - 11/17/04 05:54 PM

Unregistered

night night! n/t new
      #122970 - 11/17/04 05:55 PM
cailin

--------------------
S.

#122978 - 11/17/04 06:33 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

This is my first ever thanksgiving! DH's family go every year to a cosy hotel in Vermont...so this year I am going too! It should be lovely. I am feeling a bit shy, but should be fine!!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#122979 - 11/17/04 06:37 PM

Unregistered

That is so exciting! I have decided that I must live up north in the New England area somewhere for part of life after college because it's just too pretty up there!
Hope you two get to enjoy the romantic coziness together! Mmm and bring home some maple syrup so you can make that Vermont Maple Honey Bread stuff

Re: Everyone is coming to my house..... new
      #123009 - 11/17/04 10:06 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

My mom can't do the turkey thing any more, since I am the oldest daughter, and my sis or brother declined to host it.

We are frying two 22lb Turkeys, and everyone else is bringing the food. Right now the number is up to 30, it could change at any time. IT has been raining hard for about 24 hours down here, and everything is a mess. The weather man says it is going to let up for a few days and then come back for another round.

Let me see, it will be nice and muddy, so we will pull out the games and everyone will play and we will have a blast!!

Happy THanksgiving and God's Blessings to you all!!!!!

OMG I want one!! lol new
      #123016 - 11/18/04 02:53 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Hey brit,
dya know what those purses are amazing...theyre nothing like I expected them to be like. I love them...you know Im as obsessed by design like you...being a fellow interior design student...Im gona have to commission you to make me one sometime when I get some money...everyone would be so jealous cos we really dont have anything like that over here. I tend to use my spare time (If I ever get any) doing texturised canvas paintings...which sell well over here....but Ive never tried selling one of my own...I really need to have a go at that. How did you go about setting up that thing in china and having them made? Id love to do something like that...me and my friend anita would be really interested...she's the dab hand on a sewing machine! Rite I must go...I promise I'll email you soon....have got a critique for this theatre design project Im doing on tues and so much to do...ooh our group got a really good mark on the staircase project we were doing on autoviz....cant remember if I told you about it. Loadsa luv xx

--------------------
Natalie

Re: OMG I want one!! lol new
      #123026 - 11/18/04 04:04 AM

Unregistered

Hey there!
I'm glad you like them! I want to see what your paintings look like - I paint in my spare time too - it's just so relaxing. You should definitely try to sell them if you can.
As for the China thing, through my dad's business (a lot of their plastic materials come from China) but a guy he does business with has connections at all these factories (including ones that make knock-off purses and all that) so he's great enough to be my investor and get me started at all of this. So that's the story on that.
Hope your presentation goes well. I have a preliminary presentation tomorrow on my design for a healthcare wellness center that we're doing (no teams though ) We just finished a Viz project for a retail store. Well glad to hear you're doing and hopefully I'll talk to ya soon!

That's a lot of people! new
      #123027 - 11/18/04 04:07 AM

Unregistered

You are brave to undertake that big of a Thanksgiving! I hope you have a big house! Lots of luck to you and I hope the rain stops and you can enjoy the day (and the days getting ready!) I'm sure you'll end up with some great stories from the day

#123033 - 11/18/04 05:33 AM
heather7476

Loc: South East Michigan

I am stuck going to my dad's!!! Iam hopeing we can sneak out early!!! At least Rich managed to get the day off so I won't be on my own!!! I hope you have a great trukey day!!!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Dalia new
      #123051 - 11/18/04 06:38 AM
cailin

that sounds lovely Dalia, can I come too?
I am imaging walks through leafy autumnal colours, log fires and LOADS of food...mmmm!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

#123085 - 11/18/04 07:16 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Neither me nor my BF felt like going home (he's coming with me to my parents' for Christmas), so we're going to stay here in Philly together. He's not a big holiday person anyway, and I'm a vegetarian, so no turkey for us. I'm thinking of making Heather's 5 minute Pumpkin Pie for the two of us though. I'm off work Wed, Thurs, and Fri, and he's off from classes too, even though he'll have some homework to do. So nothing too exciting, but I'm sure going to enjoy the time off!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Melissa new
      #123090 - 11/18/04 07:23 AM
cailin

well you'll have each other..and if you still have your Halloween costume I am sure you'll think of something to do

--------------------
S.

Re: Dalia new
      #123099 - 11/18/04 07:35 AM
daliatree

Of course you can come!! I would LOVE to have another IBSer there...plus we could chat about Ireland. I've always wanted to go and never been!
Its meant to be really really nice there....DH and I are flying there because we can't be bothered for the 6 hour drive! soooo lazy!

--------------------

#123101 - 11/18/04 07:37 AM
cailin

don't catch any viruses on the plane like i did
Can't believe you are from the UK and have never been here!
You will have to come, Linz and I are lobbying to have the next fall sprawl in UK or Ireland!

S

--------------------
S.

#123113 - 11/18/04 07:54 AM
daliatree

Something even more crazy to learn is that my Mummy is from Kilkenny...and I haven't been there. She is not in contact with her family (long story- she was catholic - converted to judaism and they aren't happy!)...I have aunts and uncles who have never met me because I am jewish!! anyway, I would love to go, but its a sore spot for my Mum so I can't even talk about it with her.:-(
I am sooooo UP for the next fall sprawl but I want it in NYC, because thats where I am now!!!And its half way between europe and the rest of the US!! Selfish I know!! hahha, but I promise I'll do loads of IBS safe baking and cooking!
As for catching viruses when I fly - I will try not to. Usually - knock on wood - I don't. I've flown about 35 times in the last year only - long haul flights and don't catch anything. just fart the whole plane out with the pressure changes!
I couldn't suggest anything for your movies post above - haven't seen any of the films apart from four weddings which I LOVE!!!
Feel better sweetie!

--------------------

LOL new
      #123130 - 11/18/04 08:33 AM

Unregistered

That is true, I bet you both can find something fun to do with that haha. Well enjoy your day together and your little vacation from work!

#123131 - 11/18/04 08:34 AM

Unregistered

I hope it turns out to be a fun day for you! Where does your dad live??

Sinead and Brittany: new
      #123136 - 11/18/04 08:37 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

You two are too funny!

And think a lot like my bf! lol!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#123177 - 11/18/04 10:13 AM
heather7476

Loc: South East Michigan

About 25 mins from me!! I love my dad it is my step family I can do without!!! Thanks hope you a have fun day to!!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

oh my goodness new
      #123935 - 11/20/04 08:36 AM

Unregistered

That sounds like an interesting job! I bet you don't feel like eating turkey after all of that!

Enjoy your few days off and spending time with your fam!

AHEM - I don't think we have everyone's Thanksgiving plans accounted for.... : ) nt new
      #123936 - 11/20/04 08:37 AM

Unregistered

Re: AHEM - I don't think we have everyone's Thanksgiving plans accounted for.... : ) nt new
      #123937 - 11/20/04 08:57 AM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

So sorry.....been a bit busy these days!

Let's see.....we will be going to my side of the family's house this year which happens to be in Philadelphia. Every year my hubby and I switch going to the other's house for Thanksgiving to make it fair.

I'm not that much of a Thanksgiving Holiday person. Christmas is my absolute favorite! I guess I'm kinda like the bah humbug of Thanksgiving. It's just a holiday to basically eat and eat and eat. I don't like pumpkin pie ( I know that's just not right I can hear you all saying)...It also reminds me that winter is coming (and I HATE snow) and I have to go to work the next day ALWAYS cause the woman I work with gets that day off every year.

Now ask this question right before Christmas and I'll type forever and ever!

Have a great Turkey day and I'll look for your brother. That's awesome!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

No pumpkin?! new
      #123941 - 11/20/04 09:03 AM

Unregistered

LOL Thanks for responding despite your lack of enjoyment of Thanksgiving I looove Christmas too - especially because I love to make presents for people. But Thanksgiving is great because it really kicks off the Christmas season and makes it acceptable to start listening to Christmas music
Well I hope you enjoy your day as much as possible (no fair about having to work the next day though) and I'll be sure to ask this at Christmas just for you!

#123942 - 11/20/04 09:03 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Ooh... this is a sad answer. I am writing three ten page papers, one exam, and one lecture. So basically I will be having a big heap of NOT fun.

Although, this is the first holiday in six and half years that Eric and I will ever spend by ourselves without our families. I'm kind of excited about this and kinda sad.

We're vegetarians as well, so we'll be making our traditional Tofurkey and the various side dishes and trimmings that go with it.

Oh sad new
      #123947 - 11/20/04 09:13 AM

Unregistered

That stinks that you have all of that work to do! Hopefully you can set it aside for just a little and enjoy your Thanksgiving alone with Eric!
I thought it was bad that I had 3 - 3 page papers to write!
Well best of luck and see if you can put him to work doing something!

That would be fantastic! (p.s Sinead - Im part irish too) new
      #123953 - 11/20/04 09:35 AM
Natalie1985

Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

sorry to butt in just wanted to add my enthusiasm for holding a fall sprawl in the uk or ireland...I would love to go! Im in leeds at the moment at uni but Im a born and bred liverpudlian....actually come to mention it Im actually IRISH GYPSY SCOUSE...lol...I know...sinead Ive never been to Ireland either...I may be gona spend New Year in Achill though this year cos my best friends family has a house there! I don't know where my family originates from...but I have irish ancestors on both sides of the family...my surname's even flipping irish (corrigan)...I still cant believe Ive never been...lol!

--------------------
Natalie

Dalia new
      #123958 - 11/20/04 09:47 AM
cailin

That is really sad about your Mum, did she convert as education orfor love (I am thinking all romantic, like Charlotte in SATC, how shallow am i?) I really think that Irish people are so closed off when it comes to religion, and that families all over the world separate for the most ridiculous reasons. Land and religion are the main two though.

Kilkenny is not a million miles from my end of the world (I am from Wexford which is the next county, and Kilkenny are our annual hurling adversaries, we beat them this year!)

I could convince BF to come to NYC for a long weekend, but it would depend on dates, as one of my best friends is getting married 8 October next year and I am a bridesmaid so that will take up time and money.

I LOVE New York! I lived in Queens (Sunnyside and Astoria) for a summer and worked 2 blocks from Penn Station. BF worked in 1500 Broadway which is on Times Square. That was the summer of 1997, when we had just started going out....
I have been back twice since,once with my Mum and once with my Dad but BF hasn't been...and the exchange rate is pretty good at the moment....

Movie wise I watched Chicago, which was well done. I think I can probably recite "Four Weddings" at this stage I have seen it so many times!

OK, while my first vote is for a European destination, my 2nd vote would be NYC.

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Re: That would be fantastic! (p.s Sinead - Im part irish too) new
      #123965 - 11/20/04 09:55 AM
cailin

Sorry Natalie, NYC would also do me! (as I just told Dalia)

Achill is beautifulm definitely a good way to start Ireland (rather than at a hen night in Temple Bar!) one of my friends has spent loads of NYE's there. There's a piper that goes from each pub to the centre of town at midnight or something like that. One year she got snowed in though!

Apparently 1 in 4 Britons claim Irish ancestry so its not surprising that you and Dalia have come out as Irish!

And you are safe enough admitting your scouse origins on this board, not many people will know what you are talking about!

Roll on X factor!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

pumpkin- ICK new
      #123975 - 11/20/04 10:25 AM
khyricat

I hate everything pumpkin- am making a peppermint fudge cake, and one of the guests is bringing pumpkin pie so we will have both..

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Re: AHEM - I don't think we have everyone's Thanksgiving plans accounted for.... : ) nt new
      #123977 - 11/20/04 10:32 AM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

I feel the same way about Thanksgiving! It's just a food holiday (I am thankful everyday!) that gets in the way of planning for Christmas (I've been working on my cards since September and can't wait to get my tree up!). I used to love it when all of my dad's family would get together for all 4 days at my cousins house on the other side of the state - now everyone's too BUSY for it

So, at the moment, I have absolutely nothing planned ... Hope everyone else enjoys their holiday though!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

I'm a slacker, I didn't reply yet. new
      #123984 - 11/20/04 11:01 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

We're going to my boyfriend's mom's, a few hours north of here. I'm NOT looking forward to it at all. We went last year, and between the NOT-IBS-friendly food, the constant yelling (nobody can talk at a normal pitch), and the fact that EVERYONE in his family chain-smokes (except him!), it was a miserable experience for me. I'm actually already counting the hours till it's OVER.

Re: I'm a slacker, I didn't reply yet. new
      #123988 - 11/20/04 11:12 AM
khyricat

Casey- thats why I offered to host this year and invited people of our choosing... I could not include on purpose those who are problems, and in our house- no smoking allowed...

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#123993 - 11/20/04 11:57 AM

Unregistered

aww..that sounds dismal I hate being around smoke like that and then you come home and stink! Well I hope for your sake that Thanksgiving is over real quick! And thanks for answering by the way

#123994 - 11/20/04 11:58 AM

Unregistered

Well I hope for you then that it's just a nice relaxing day. You should put your tree up! I loooove to do that! Do you at least get a few days off??

I'm a slacker, too new
      #123996 - 11/20/04 12:02 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

We are going to my mom's for Thanksgiving. She has made the turkey for as many years as I can remember....I hate to admit it.....but, I've never done a turkey.

She makes a great Thanksgiving meal & I bring the mashed potatoes & yams & rolls.

It will be a nice Thanksgiving and I'm looking forward to it.

Hope all of you will have a great Thanksgiving, too.

Barbie

--------------------

Hey Casey..... new
      #123997 - 11/20/04 12:06 PM
barbie

Love your new pic. You look so gorgeous & sultry. WOO HOO!

Sorry your Thanksgiving will be so miserable. Hope it's over in a flash. Maybe you can talk you BF into leaving early.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

Re: I'm a slacker, too new
      #123999 - 11/20/04 12:16 PM

Unregistered

finally someone looking forward to Thanksgiving today Well it sounds like it should be a nice day and I hope you have a great time!
I can't wait to host Thanksgiving dinners or just any kind of dinner party. I love that kind of thing - though I can't see myself making a turkey - maybe someday..

Jeez! You're tough! new
      #124025 - 11/20/04 01:33 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I'll be having thanksgiving with my parents, my brother Mike and SIL Kristin, my brother Dan and SIL Mary, and their new baby Bethany, and Mary's parents, all at either Dan or Mike's house. Probably Dan's. They live 5 minutes away from each other so we probably won't decide until the last minute. I'll go to my parents' house on Tuesday or Wednesday, and my mom and I will make the turkey and several appetizers. Mike will probably make his amazing roasted garlic mashed potatoes, and the SILs will make a few side dishes too, along with Mary's mom's amazing crock pot meatballs. I don't know what she does to these tiny meatballs but it involves grape jelly and they are so yummy. I'll only have one, I promise. My dad will bring too much wine, we'll all drink too much, everyone will try to hold the baby more than everyone else, and my brothers and dad will fall asleep before it's time to clean up. That's pretty much the way it goes for us, and I love it!

Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

haha sorry new
      #124029 - 11/20/04 01:43 PM

Unregistered

Well that just sounds like a fantastic time for all! See, if you hadn't shared I wouldn't have known that grape jelly goes with meatballs! LOL Enjoy your day and try and win the baby-holding contest!

Hi Gayla new
      #124173 - 11/20/04 06:38 PM
barbie

WOW! What a crowd. Thank goodness my mom can still do the turkey...I've never made one and wouldn't know where to start.

I know what you mean about the rain. I'm getting sick of it.

You and your family have a great Thanksgiving.

Barbie

--------------------

#124182 - 11/20/04 07:27 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm a former smoker myself, and the funny thing is that I really don't mind the *stinking* part at all... but I find that a lot of smoke bothers the IBS, and that's why I don't like going up there. If it wasn't for that, I'd probably almost *enjoy* being around the smoke, as twisted as that is.

Ah well. It's one day, and we have a long drive as an excuse to get out of there early. Sigh.

#124189 - 11/20/04 07:56 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

I think I will put my tree up - my dad's planning on being out of town, so I can go raid the garage for all of my decorations! Today, I finished gathering all of my favorite carols, and I'm going to start bugging everyone to go caroling with me this year (everyone is so embarrassed by caroling, why??)

Actually, I have every day off right now ... I'm having a hard time finding a job that will work with my IBS - the market isn't so hot here right now ... but it's all right. I'll worry about it seriously AFTER the holidays are over

--------------------
~*Amber*~

fa la la la laaa new
      #124192 - 11/20/04 08:03 PM

Unregistered

I loved to go christmas caroling when I was younger - I bet it'd be fun as an adult with a bunch of people! Good luck with your tree!

#124219 - 11/21/04 01:23 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Kept meaning to answer this post, but always ran out of time.

This year for Thanksgiving, I'm going over to my dad's house for dinner. This is a first for me as I usually go over to my grandpa's house with my mom. My step-mom has never done a Thanksgiving before so we're experimenting. Plus she wants to do family photos to send out with the Christmas cards, so we're having her nephew-in-law do them.

Then the next day, I get to scare the crap out of my dad by making him go Christmas decorations shopping with me. He lost all of my holiday decorations (including all my sentimental tree decorations!) so he owes me new ones. I figure if I take him shopping the day after Thanksgiving he won't lose anything else that gets left at his house. (He's already lost a pair of sunglasses that I left over there accidently and my First Year of IBS book that I let him borrow! Plus my motorcycle got stolen when he left it in front of his house! Needless to say I'm not storing anything over there anymore. )

--------------------
- Jennifer

#124233 - 11/21/04 07:38 AM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

I'm having Thanksgiving at my house. My daughter hosted it last year, but other than that; I've been doing them for about 20 years or so. There's going to be about 15 people. Usually there's 19, but my son and his family won't be here this year. (This is my first Thanksgiving without him ever; so I had to adjust to the idea of it).

I have a very small house, but we all squeeze in here and have a good time anyway. My brother's home is even smaller than mine and my parents home is too cluttered for any company at all.

I fix the turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, pies, and fried green beans (not IBS safe, I know, but delicious.)

My brother does the rolls and mashed spuds.

My daughter is doing deviled eggs.

My sister is bringing pop and sugar free dessert for the diabetics in the family. (We have 4)

My nephew's wife brings this delectable chocolate dessert and the whole pan is always licked clean, and that's just done by the ones who AREN'T diabetic.

We're all so pathetic when it comes to Holiday eating. We really enjoy one another's company and love yearly get togethers with joking around and games.

I'm very excited about it all.
Terri
P.S. My daughter is now 34 weeks along with her pregnancy. It won't be long now before I will be holding and holding and holding little Makenzie Jo. I think that's another reason why I'm so excited this year.

#124237 - 11/21/04 07:56 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

We always go to my Aunt Sue's house for Thanksgiving. She's the most creative woman I know! The entire family is there, so we can't all fit at one table, so every year she creates themed tables, such as the Native American table, the Mayflower table, the Colonial table, and the Royal table. They're all decorated to match their theme and we draw names to see who sits where. It's so much fun, I look forward to it every year. Oh yeah... and the food is good too! Lol.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#124241 - 11/21/04 08:13 AM

Unregistered

Aww..that sounds like so much fun! I hope you have a fabulous time!

#124242 - 11/21/04 08:16 AM

Unregistered

Sounds like a wonderful family together - too bad your son and his fam won't be there though. Congrats on your soon to be grandaughter! Keep up posted on that!

#124243 - 11/21/04 08:18 AM

Unregistered

Yikes, your dad's house sounds like a pit of no return I hope you guys have fun shopping together. And good luck with the experimental dinner!

#124293 - 11/21/04 11:53 AM
FEMBETH

Reged: 09/20/04

This will be a first Turkey day at my husbands grandma's. My mother in law will be up to cook. That should be nice since his grandma has not been very well this past year. Maybe this will lift her spirits.

We will also be going to my parents house of course! I will not miss this one at mom's. Last year was a sad one with dad being in IRAQ. Dad is home now and we will get to spend this holiday together. I am thankful for tons but, this year especially thankful dad is home safe with us. I hope everyone has a Great Turkey Day as well.

#124306 - 11/21/04 12:26 PM

Unregistered

You guys do have a lot to be thankful for! Hope your Thanksgiving is great!

#124312 - 11/21/04 12:30 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I am cooking at home with hubby and two of my children. We have also invited two friends over to eat with us. My oldest daughter will be eating dinner with my family back in the States. The holidays are difficult being so far away from our family.

I love Thanksgiving and all the food. I can't wait.

--------------------
Janey

Just the 4 of us ..... new
      #124374 - 11/21/04 02:34 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I'm cooking a turkey and trimmings, and it will just be the four of us (me, my husband and our two teenage sons). Our son who just went away to college in Sept. will be home on Wednesday. I can't wait to see him---lip rings and all!!! I have missed him so much.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 101 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 32864

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review