All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Re: You're leaving the board? new
      #123441 - 11/18/04 08:25 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Lindz did say she was very sorry for offending you. There was no intention of driving anyone away.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#123442 - 11/18/04 08:27 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Surely when something is totally unintentional from a person who is always lovely and understanding AND there is an apology...doesn't that mean that it should be forgotten about? Respect goes both ways....

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#123444 - 11/18/04 08:30 PM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

I work for the tax department over here, and I get sworn at a lot. I've even learned a few new ones on the job! Part of the training we get on dealing with offensive language is to think of any word we don't like as "pumpkin". As in "I'll pumpkin your pumpkin, you pumpkin little civil servant!"
It doesn't work all the time, but it does give a grounding in that words and phrases are as offensive as we make them. I appreciate where you're coming from, RachelK... but the boards are generally so good that maybe they're worth a little "pumpkin" now and then?

Your call though.

--------------------
*Emma*

Re: hitting on people... new
      #123445 - 11/18/04 08:30 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

My best friend Natashas mum, is Iraqi, and when natasha was first dating her husband...he came to pick her up from the house (now they are a religious family, really prim and proper, but her mum still tries to be cool) - so she has this really strong iraqi accent and invited mark (the boyf in) and says to him (meaning to ask if he is very excited for the date) 'so mark are you very randy?' which in england means horny!!! hahahhaha, infront of the whole family! it was hysterical!! she thought randy means excited!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Re: hitting on people... new
      #123447 - 11/18/04 08:34 PM
thepurplelollie

Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

heh.... I always chortle a bit on the inside meeting people called Randy!

--------------------
*Emma*

#123453 - 11/18/04 08:58 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Oooh... I teach a required course for 350 students at 8 in the morning. I'm totally going to use that technique purplelollie!!! It's even seasonally appropriate!

Re: Oh Rachel, don;t leave.....Thanks for the apology Linz! new
      #123459 - 11/18/04 10:57 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

I would hate to see you leave Rachel, though I wholeheartedly understand. I will miss you!

Personally, I will go out of my way not to say things if I think for one minute that I may offend someone. I also remember that children hear everything, and as a responsible parent and grandparent, I was always careful around my family and friends children not to use profanity that they would pick up and use elsewhere.
I love a person who is smart and sensitive enough to apologize, I appreciate that. I think it was something thathappened, she apologized and thats good enough for me.
After all, what kind of Christian would I be if I didnt accept a sincere apology. ITs all about LOVE!!! I think us southern ladies are a bit more sensitive about language and the use of it. Its just our way, and thats ok.

Rachel new
      #123471 - 11/19/04 01:44 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I'm sorry if this makes you leave the boards. But I've already said sorry for saying something that offended you. As others have explained, that word is considered VERY mild over here (you should here what the townie kids yell at you in the street! ).

Some stuff on here offends me or upsets me and I choose to not read those posts and just whizz past the titles. For example, when we were recently debating about the US elections, Gayla made a remark about homosexuality being a lifestyle choice. I'm bisexual and have made the lifestyle choice to marry a lovely man. That doesn't stop me being bisexual. That remark of Gayla's hurt me, but I chose to ignore it.

Re: Godammit! new
      #123483 - 11/19/04 04:34 AM
PsiMan

Loc: The Royal County of Berkshire, UK

'gigi',

Firstly you probably meant "it offends me when people take Gods name in vain" as a vane is (among other things) a thin surface which aligns itself parallel to a flow.

Secondly, I don't see how the use of "Godammit" in this case should offend your sensibilities, you highlighted that you are a Christian and gave this as a reason for your disapproval and yet the meaning of the word and the context in which it was used seem, to me at least, to be highly consistent. 'Damned' is defined as "something or someone who is condemned to eternal banishment or punishment in hell", it follows that "Goddamned" means the same but in the context of the Christian faith, and therefore "Goddammit" would mean the damning of, in this case severe migraines, by "God". Surely this cannot be a bad thing. Surely it cannot be offensive to invoke the name of the deity in which you believe to stop the suffering of another?

As a side note: You failed to reprimand LauraSue on her use of the word "durn", which is a euphemism for "damn" in the same way that "darn" is.

Thirdly, I want to make you aware of the hypocrisy in your post. You have stated quite categorically your ethical standpoint in the past as part of this forum, and whilst your views may not be akin to my own, you have no argument from me that it is your right to express them. In fact I would go so far as to surmise that if I asked you not to "to stand up for what [you] believe in" you would vehemently state the case for the right to express those views. With this in mind it seems unfathomable that you presume to request anyone to stop expressing their own opinion in anyway they see fit, whether that be a single word 'profanity' or a long-winded condescending diatribe.

Fourthly, how can you condemn abortion and yet condone the state funded murder of minors?

Yours truly,

Simon
Lindsey's lily-livered, bleeding-heart, liberal, egghead communist of a husband.

Edited by PsiMan (11/19/04 05:01 AM)

Linz new
      #123485 - 11/19/04 04:49 AM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

Your apology was well taken and I appreciate it. I know that you did not intend to offend me personally. My choice to leave has little to do with you. I simply asked that the thread be removed as using the Lords name in vain is not something we support in our household as it is simply one of the 10 commandments and categorically wrong. My choice to leave is because I asked for the thread to be removed as there are children on the board...and those who do not care for profanity. We did remove the --hole person...why not this?

My intent is not to pass judgement, hurt anyone's feelings or make anyone feel poorly about themselves. This is simply a choice I am making for me.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 277 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20851

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review