All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Durn Migraines! Streak ended at 28 days...
      #121838 - 11/15/04 09:02 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Yes, I got a blankety blank migraine last night. But I'm looking on the bright side. I made it four full weeks from the last one. That's the best I've done all year. And the Imitrex knocked it right out immediately. And I was PMS, as I was when I got the last one, so it would figure that was the prime time for one. I don't think I've EVER made it through my PMS week without a mig.

So I'm starting the count over at Day 1 today. There's a few possible triggers today I need to watch out for:
1. Migraine hangover (that icky feeling like after IBS-D, wrung out like washrag -- I need a nap)
2. PMS of course
3. BRIGHT sunshine (it's practically give me a migraine just sitting indoors!)
4. Flickering or glary light at a meeting I'm going to tonight.

So wish me luck. If I make it through Day 1, I'll let you know!

Be well!
LauraSue

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Durn Migraines! Streak ended at 28 days... new
      #121840 - 11/15/04 09:04 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Oh, DARNIT anyways!! Good luck with the next LONGER streak!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#121849 - 11/15/04 09:23 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Thanks, Shell. LOVE the pic of you and Shane in Vegas! You both look so happy (and healthy and slim!) Are you maintaining your weight loss now that you're back home? Hope so!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#121868 - 11/15/04 09:54 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Thanks! Yeah... here is the thread to my last weigh in web page

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Edited by Shell Marr (11/15/04 09:55 AM)

#121937 - 11/15/04 11:08 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Stupid migraines!!!
Well, you know the saying... Every rose has it's thorn!! I suppose, regardless of how careful you are, you're allowed to have one bad day... Right? I hope next month you're able to avoid it! Glad you were able to nip it in the butt right away!!

By the way... Congratulations on making it as far as you did!!! That's so awesome!!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#121939 - 11/15/04 11:18 AM
lovejoy_22

Reged: 02/21/03
Loc: Henderson, NC

I'm so sorry LauraSue!! I was so hoping that it would continue for you. At least you had a really good streak. Next time will be longer.

Things are still the same for me. A few good days and then a few bad days. I just want to be NORMAL. I know you know how that feels.

--------------------
lovejoy_22

#122008 - 11/15/04 01:42 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

So Sorry LS!! It will keep getting longer and longer in between!!!
HUGS!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

#122022 - 11/15/04 02:49 PM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

Although it stinks that you got a migrane, making it 28 days without one is GREAT! You're my hero ! I wish I could make it one week without one of them. Oh, well. We'll both have to keep trying. I hope you can make it another month without one.

Meg

#122034 - 11/15/04 03:58 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Aww, shoot... that stinks. But I'm glad you're looking on the bright side, because you DID just go longer than you have all year, and that's an accomplishment!

Lots of luck avoiding triggers today, and feel better soon!

#122045 - 11/15/04 04:54 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Aww LS, sorry they are back, but at least you had a 28 day streak without them...here's to a longer streak next time
We miss you around here, come back soon for good!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Godammit! new
      #122164 - 11/15/04 11:55 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Good luck today! I just hate that migraine hangover thing. Urgh. Good luck, don't relapse!

So the next mission is to make it past PMS week!

Re: Godammit! new
      #123010 - 11/17/04 10:30 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Linz, most people on the boards go out of thier way to use moderately clean language. I happen to be a Christian and it offends me when people take Gods name in vane. I,like many others would appreciate it if this werent seen again here. There are many places you can use this language, please dont bring it here. These boards are the bests ones I have ever been on, we all pride ourselves at the way we care so much about each other and try our best to get along with each other. You may not agree with me, and thats your right to do so. I am offended, I hope you can agree with me that this isn't the place and not offer it again for myself and others to read. Thanks Linz!!!

Re: The best of luck to you Laura Sue.... new
      #123011 - 11/17/04 10:33 PM
gigi

I am so blessed to not suffer with Migraines. My mom and sis live with them, I feel so bad for them when they are suffering. Do you feel one coming on when the weather is about to change?

I am thinking about you and hope you get back on track soon, honey!! miss talking to you, gayla

I respectfully agree with Gayla.... new
      #123031 - 11/18/04 05:09 AM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

Sorry! new
      #123069 - 11/18/04 07:01 AM
Linz

What can I say? I'm a sailor!

As a Christian, I'm offended too.... new
      #123227 - 11/18/04 12:40 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

and I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that it bothers. I'm no prude, but the term is disrespectful to those of us who are Christians, and I cringe every time I see it.

Would someone please remove the post?

LINZ!!!! new
      #123242 - 11/18/04 01:28 PM
heather7476

Stuck your foot in this time didn't ya LINZ!!! LOL
Hugs I still love ya!!!! Son't worry I have a potty mouth big time to!!!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Fellow Sailor! new
      #123243 - 11/18/04 01:29 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

~botswain Nelly~

Re: Fellow Sailor! new
      #123245 - 11/18/04 01:42 PM
cailin

Me too, I forget about sensibilities sometimes, my parents are always telling me to "watch my language". The worst is when I visit my friend who has young children, if you say something like "crap" they copy you and embarrass her in playgroup!

In Linz's defence, phrases like the one are considered everyday and very mild here compared to across the atlantic. At least we all now know what is acceptable/unacceptable to people and can work off these rules.

Sinead

--------------------
S.

#123248 - 11/18/04 01:54 PM
Nelly

It's so hard modifying language, especially for the IM generation who's used to wysiwyg, writing as you talk communication.

Across generations makes it even harder. I once called a bully a "jock" in the principal's office, and in his generation, the term was "jock-strapper" and he took offense. He kept saying, "watch your mouth, young lady" and I was like What the heck is this guy talking about??

You neeeeeever knooooow.

~nelly~ I am sorry if I offended anyone with my above example.

#123249 - 11/18/04 01:57 PM
cailin

WYSIWYG!

Its AGES since i heard that....when I heard it first I was like who is this wizzy wig guy!

I agree with you Nelly, we had great fun explaining to my parents what a "shockjock" was (my brother served Howard Stern when he worked in the Hamptons this summer)I mean try imagining my Dad saying the word in a rural Irish accent- comical!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

#123256 - 11/18/04 02:11 PM
Nelly

That's sooo funny!! <Irish accent> Shockjock! </irish accent>

My mom is French and doesn't have a great grasp of slang... I told her a guy was hitting on me at a bar, and she's like, "Oh my gosh, Did he HURT you??"

~nelly~

#123257 - 11/18/04 02:11 PM
heather7476

When Rich was in the NAVY we had five roomates also all in the NAVY!! Guess where I got my potty mouth!!! i was also the talk of the apartment complex me and Six guys all living together in a four bedroom apartment!!!!! LOL

--------------------
Heather7476

#123259 - 11/18/04 02:14 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Nelly, I can't believe your mom asked if he HURT you when you said a guy was hitting on you!! To Funny!

I too, have a potty mouth and really need to watch myself when around polite company!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

hitting on people... new
      #123263 - 11/18/04 02:19 PM
cailin

LOL! There are so many literal things that don't make sense. In Irish (Gaelic) the word for hitting someone and meeting someone are the same and are only differentiated by the preposition that comes after, the number of times my teacher SCREAMED at people for saying in essays that the had hit someone, the funniest had to be the essay we wrote about our heroes, where a girl wrote that she would love to have hit Gandhi!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Re: Sorry! new
      #123333 - 11/18/04 04:27 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

I'm a sailor, too, Linz. No worries here. It's not offensive to me, and I just ignore things I see online that are offensive to me....

PS: why haven't you been online (messenger) lately!? i was actually on a lot this week 'cause I was home sick... didn't see ya. Maybe we just kept missing each other....

--------------------

Re: hitting on people... new
      #123341 - 11/18/04 04:38 PM
Nelly

LOL!! Hitting Gandhi!! Now that's really funny!!

I have to be careful what I say around my mom. I really have to limit my slang, because sometimes, sometimes, she tries to incorporate it into her lexicon. It can get pretty embarrassing!! Words and phrases to avoid explaining to my mom include: morning wood, c**k-blocking, tool, and perv. *shaking head* Nothing's worse when a well-meaning mom trying to sound hip to impress her grown children.

~nelly~

gigi...beagle lover new
      #123412 - 11/18/04 06:59 PM
####

I asked Heather to remove the post, she declined. It is her board so I am respectfully bowing out and leaving the board. I wish you both the many many blessings!

You're leaving the board? new
      #123437 - 11/18/04 08:09 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Why? That is so sad....

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

In Linz's defence... new
      #123440 - 11/18/04 08:24 PM
daliatree

I think it is really important for us to all be able to say when we are offended by something BUT not to the point that it makes that person feel terrible about themselves ie if that post is not removed, it causes someone to leave a board that is extremley loving and respectful. Nothing was said in a spiteful, disrespectful way. And yes, in London, that phrase is used with no impact....fortunately or unfortunately, its considered a normal word. That has to be taken into account and respect given to Linz for that. I feel upset about this actually!

--------------------

Re: You're leaving the board? new
      #123441 - 11/18/04 08:25 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Lindz did say she was very sorry for offending you. There was no intention of driving anyone away.

#123442 - 11/18/04 08:27 PM
daliatree

Surely when something is totally unintentional from a person who is always lovely and understanding AND there is an apology...doesn't that mean that it should be forgotten about? Respect goes both ways....

--------------------

#123444 - 11/18/04 08:30 PM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

I work for the tax department over here, and I get sworn at a lot. I've even learned a few new ones on the job! Part of the training we get on dealing with offensive language is to think of any word we don't like as "pumpkin". As in "I'll pumpkin your pumpkin, you pumpkin little civil servant!"
It doesn't work all the time, but it does give a grounding in that words and phrases are as offensive as we make them. I appreciate where you're coming from, RachelK... but the boards are generally so good that maybe they're worth a little "pumpkin" now and then?

Your call though.

--------------------
*Emma*

#123445 - 11/18/04 08:30 PM
daliatree

My best friend Natashas mum, is Iraqi, and when natasha was first dating her husband...he came to pick her up from the house (now they are a religious family, really prim and proper, but her mum still tries to be cool) - so she has this really strong iraqi accent and invited mark (the boyf in) and says to him (meaning to ask if he is very excited for the date) 'so mark are you very randy?' which in england means horny!!! hahahhaha, infront of the whole family! it was hysterical!! she thought randy means excited!

--------------------

#123447 - 11/18/04 08:34 PM
thepurplelollie

Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

heh.... I always chortle a bit on the inside meeting people called Randy!

--------------------
*Emma*

#123453 - 11/18/04 08:58 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Oooh... I teach a required course for 350 students at 8 in the morning. I'm totally going to use that technique purplelollie!!! It's even seasonally appropriate!

Re: Oh Rachel, don;t leave.....Thanks for the apology Linz! new
      #123459 - 11/18/04 10:57 PM
gigi

I would hate to see you leave Rachel, though I wholeheartedly understand. I will miss you!

Personally, I will go out of my way not to say things if I think for one minute that I may offend someone. I also remember that children hear everything, and as a responsible parent and grandparent, I was always careful around my family and friends children not to use profanity that they would pick up and use elsewhere.
I love a person who is smart and sensitive enough to apologize, I appreciate that. I think it was something thathappened, she apologized and thats good enough for me.
After all, what kind of Christian would I be if I didnt accept a sincere apology. ITs all about LOVE!!! I think us southern ladies are a bit more sensitive about language and the use of it. Its just our way, and thats ok.

Rachel new
      #123471 - 11/19/04 01:44 AM
Linz

I'm sorry if this makes you leave the boards. But I've already said sorry for saying something that offended you. As others have explained, that word is considered VERY mild over here (you should here what the townie kids yell at you in the street! ).

Some stuff on here offends me or upsets me and I choose to not read those posts and just whizz past the titles. For example, when we were recently debating about the US elections, Gayla made a remark about homosexuality being a lifestyle choice. I'm bisexual and have made the lifestyle choice to marry a lovely man. That doesn't stop me being bisexual. That remark of Gayla's hurt me, but I chose to ignore it.

#123483 - 11/19/04 04:34 AM
PsiMan

Loc: The Royal County of Berkshire, UK

'gigi',

Firstly you probably meant "it offends me when people take Gods name in vain" as a vane is (among other things) a thin surface which aligns itself parallel to a flow.

Secondly, I don't see how the use of "Godammit" in this case should offend your sensibilities, you highlighted that you are a Christian and gave this as a reason for your disapproval and yet the meaning of the word and the context in which it was used seem, to me at least, to be highly consistent. 'Damned' is defined as "something or someone who is condemned to eternal banishment or punishment in hell", it follows that "Goddamned" means the same but in the context of the Christian faith, and therefore "Goddammit" would mean the damning of, in this case severe migraines, by "God". Surely this cannot be a bad thing. Surely it cannot be offensive to invoke the name of the deity in which you believe to stop the suffering of another?

As a side note: You failed to reprimand LauraSue on her use of the word "durn", which is a euphemism for "damn" in the same way that "darn" is.

Thirdly, I want to make you aware of the hypocrisy in your post. You have stated quite categorically your ethical standpoint in the past as part of this forum, and whilst your views may not be akin to my own, you have no argument from me that it is your right to express them. In fact I would go so far as to surmise that if I asked you not to "to stand up for what [you] believe in" you would vehemently state the case for the right to express those views. With this in mind it seems unfathomable that you presume to request anyone to stop expressing their own opinion in anyway they see fit, whether that be a single word 'profanity' or a long-winded condescending diatribe.

Fourthly, how can you condemn abortion and yet condone the state funded murder of minors?

Yours truly,

Simon
Lindsey's lily-livered, bleeding-heart, liberal, egghead communist of a husband.

Edited by PsiMan (11/19/04 05:01 AM)

Linz new
      #123485 - 11/19/04 04:49 AM
####

Your apology was well taken and I appreciate it. I know that you did not intend to offend me personally. My choice to leave has little to do with you. I simply asked that the thread be removed as using the Lords name in vain is not something we support in our household as it is simply one of the 10 commandments and categorically wrong. My choice to leave is because I asked for the thread to be removed as there are children on the board...and those who do not care for profanity. We did remove the --hole person...why not this?

My intent is not to pass judgement, hurt anyone's feelings or make anyone feel poorly about themselves. This is simply a choice I am making for me.

wow new
      #123488 - 11/19/04 04:58 AM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

You provide a good argument/reasoning. Do you think you can help with my Philosophy assignment? (Just kidding).

SI!! new
      #123495 - 11/19/04 05:28 AM
heather7476

Good for you for sticking up for your wife!!!!! GOOD MAN!!!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: Linz new
      #123501 - 11/19/04 05:40 AM

Unregistered

Don't you think that leaving is maybe just taking this a little too far? I understand that it offends you as a Christian, but there are many people on these boards that are not Christians and would take no offense at all from that, and since your point of view is not necessarily "right" to them, it's kind of unfair to expect people to to understand that. And despite that Linz apologized and explained just that - to her she wouldn't have thought that was something wrong to say. As of Heather not removing the post, it wasn't a blatantly offensive post that contained profanities that we all acknowledge as profanities. If she had to remove posts that were offensive to someone then I don't think there would be much for us to read. If there's someone you don't like, just ignore it. I don't think you should leave over this, but if you feel that it is THAT necessary then it was nice to know you.

Completely agree with Brittany.....plz don't leave! -nt- new
      #123504 - 11/19/04 05:44 AM
Natalie1985

Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

--------------------
Natalie

Pedantism 101 new
      #123507 - 11/19/04 05:52 AM
PsiMan

Loc: The Royal County of Berkshire, UK

I'm sorry to have to do this but everytime you refer to God as 'The Lord', 'The Heavenly Father' or anything else for that matter you are taking his name in 'vain'. If you examine the original Hebrew for Deuteronomy (5:11) from which the verse in the King James bible was translated, you would not find a word ('Lord') which carries such meaning. What is actually there is the true name of God, 'Yahweh'. If you look at the definition of the word 'vain' you will see it means "Having no real substance, value or importance". Considering this can you think of anything more likely to bring "Yahweh's" name to emptiness, worthlessness and having no real substance than replacing the 7000 references to it with a title of your own choosing?

Cheers

S

ps Who said A-Level General Studies was worthless

Edited by PsiMan (11/19/04 06:01 AM)

Re: Pedantism 101 new
      #123508 - 11/19/04 05:55 AM
daliatree

Now I wish I would have sat general studies A level..but I did sit Religious Studies...so I hear you man!!
Your writings are great to read....totally agree with you and congrats for standing up for your wife.....I want everyone to be free and respectful on this board within reasonable boundaries...

--------------------

General studies! new
      #123513 - 11/19/04 06:05 AM
Natalie1985

Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Hey you guys, I dropped general studies at AS Level...shoulda probably just done the extra year to get an A Level but I thought it was a waste of 2 hours a week in lessons and a ridiculous 3 hours worth of exams...you have proved me wrong...this is better than watching a soap all this posting...I agree with Linz though...being a liverpudlian the said word that caused offense really is nothing compared to what we unfortunately have to endure when walking down the street...I dont actually take any offence to swearing...but I have to agree that in this country its pretty much the norm! I agree with what Brittany said over this whole matter...and there are two side to everything...I always look at both..I just feel that maybe a mountain has been created out of a mole hill with this whole situation....it upsets me when people argue on here...

--------------------
Natalie

Simon new
      #123516 - 11/19/04 06:11 AM
cailin

Simon,

Great to see you supporting your lovely wife! You present such an ordered and reasonable argument.

I still think that this has really gotten blown out of all proportion but respect everyone's views and everyone's right to say what they think, I just don't like when one person is "villianified" as a result of an innocent comment that was made in support of another board member.

gigi you have shown real Christian values by forgiving and accepting, that is the basis of all Christian faiths.

That's all from me for the moment, hope this thread is close to ending.

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Edited by cailin (11/19/04 06:15 AM)

Can We Not Say Anything Anymore?? new
      #123523 - 11/19/04 06:27 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

In a society where we pride ourselves on all of our freedoms, I am disgusted that the use of the phrase "godammit" is being taken so far. I'm almost certain that Linz wasn't in fact trying to "damn god"....and she probably wasn't trying to offend anyone....what has this world come to when you can't say anything anymore???

I am a christian too....but come on!!! Relax a little....if we freak out everytime someone says something we don't like we're gonna waste a lot of time that could be spent doing more worthwhile things!!

#123525 - 11/19/04 06:31 AM
Nelly

You know, a piece of me always thought we were talking about "durn."

As a former English teacher, I have always welcomed the use of language to provoke and offend. I think it's enlightening when our moral sensibilities are pushed, and it reveals a lot about ourselves how we react.

I would no more chastise someone for "swearing" than I would punish someone for speaking.

As this is an opinionated forum, I offer mine: I think educated women who swear are sexy (My $.02).

~nelly~ Pumpkin!

lol you are too funny! nt (nice sig by the way) new
      #123527 - 11/19/04 06:35 AM

Unregistered

#123528 - 11/19/04 06:35 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

Not for nothing Rachel, do you own a TV in your house? I am not saying this in a condescending way at all. But, with all the crap that is on TV with language and sex I would think you wouldn't own a TV in your hous ebecause it goes against your values.

I think people have a right to express their views. Linz apologized for her use of the word. The fact that Heather didn't want to take it down is also a decision that I can live with. I am a Catholic and I yeah, I don't use that particular cuss word too often but I do. If I got p*ssed off every time use dthat particular curse word I would never leave the house. Please reconsider your decision to leave the boards. I think you've made your point already.

--------------------

I'm a little confused , Heather (THE HEATHER) ...... new
      #123534 - 11/19/04 06:44 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

because the other posting that offended some (the ***hole one) was removed, but this one won't be.

Why did you immediately remove that one---- but decide to leave this one?

That doesn't make sense to me.

not heather but my guess is new
      #123546 - 11/19/04 06:58 AM
cailin

a-hole is offensive to all
G-dammit is only offensive to those of certain religious beliefs, to delete would be to discriminate on grounds of religion or to give religion a place on the boards(?) the boards should not alienate anyone on grounds of religious belief.

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Edited by cailin (11/19/04 07:09 AM)

My oh my, I bet LauraSue didn't think her migraine would cause this much trouble!! -nt- new
      #123560 - 11/19/04 07:22 AM
Stephie

Loc: Vancouver, Canada

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

They can be pretty troublesome things, ya know?- nt new
      #123563 - 11/19/04 07:28 AM
Linz

#123574 - 11/19/04 07:50 AM
JBI

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: BC, Canada

Rachel,

I respect your decision for wanting to leave the boards. Seeing as you are a human of your own free will and living in a democracy, you have every right to do so.

I must however disagree with your assertion that these boards are suitable for children. Due to the personal nature of IBS and the semi-annoynimous format of these boards, these boards are an invaluable tool for discussing important aspects of this condition and better understanding it. Topics such as sex (for both pleasure and reproduction), various bodily functions, relationships etc. are all discussed in ways which would not be suitable for children. However, I feel that this is necessary.

I didn't see the A-hole comment, but there is a difference in that it would be directed at board members, whereas Linz was only directing it at migraines. Who really likes migraines anyways?

Besides, Linz apologized for her comment, most discussion boards would have included an angry response with even more colourful language. So it'll be too bad if you let this get in the way of learning more about your condition, however, I respect your opinion,

I totally agree with what JBI has said. -nt- new
      #123590 - 11/19/04 08:17 AM
Stephie

Loc: Vancouver, Canada

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#123610 - 11/19/04 08:53 AM
Kimm

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I agree with you completely

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 532 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20689

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review