All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
wow new
      #123488 - 11/19/04 04:58 AM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

You provide a good argument/reasoning. Do you think you can help with my Philosophy assignment? (Just kidding).

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

SI!! new
      #123495 - 11/19/04 05:28 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Good for you for sticking up for your wife!!!!! GOOD MAN!!!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: Linz new
      #123501 - 11/19/04 05:40 AM

Unregistered

Don't you think that leaving is maybe just taking this a little too far? I understand that it offends you as a Christian, but there are many people on these boards that are not Christians and would take no offense at all from that, and since your point of view is not necessarily "right" to them, it's kind of unfair to expect people to to understand that. And despite that Linz apologized and explained just that - to her she wouldn't have thought that was something wrong to say. As of Heather not removing the post, it wasn't a blatantly offensive post that contained profanities that we all acknowledge as profanities. If she had to remove posts that were offensive to someone then I don't think there would be much for us to read. If there's someone you don't like, just ignore it. I don't think you should leave over this, but if you feel that it is THAT necessary then it was nice to know you.

Completely agree with Brittany.....plz don't leave! -nt- new
      #123504 - 11/19/04 05:44 AM
Natalie1985

Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

--------------------
Natalie

Pedantism 101 new
      #123507 - 11/19/04 05:52 AM
PsiMan

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: The Royal County of Berkshire, UK

I'm sorry to have to do this but everytime you refer to God as 'The Lord', 'The Heavenly Father' or anything else for that matter you are taking his name in 'vain'. If you examine the original Hebrew for Deuteronomy (5:11) from which the verse in the King James bible was translated, you would not find a word ('Lord') which carries such meaning. What is actually there is the true name of God, 'Yahweh'. If you look at the definition of the word 'vain' you will see it means "Having no real substance, value or importance". Considering this can you think of anything more likely to bring "Yahweh's" name to emptiness, worthlessness and having no real substance than replacing the 7000 references to it with a title of your own choosing?

Cheers

S

ps Who said A-Level General Studies was worthless

Edited by PsiMan (11/19/04 06:01 AM)

Re: Pedantism 101 new
      #123508 - 11/19/04 05:55 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Now I wish I would have sat general studies A level..but I did sit Religious Studies...so I hear you man!!
Your writings are great to read....totally agree with you and congrats for standing up for your wife.....I want everyone to be free and respectful on this board within reasonable boundaries...

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

General studies! new
      #123513 - 11/19/04 06:05 AM
Natalie1985

Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Hey you guys, I dropped general studies at AS Level...shoulda probably just done the extra year to get an A Level but I thought it was a waste of 2 hours a week in lessons and a ridiculous 3 hours worth of exams...you have proved me wrong...this is better than watching a soap all this posting...I agree with Linz though...being a liverpudlian the said word that caused offense really is nothing compared to what we unfortunately have to endure when walking down the street...I dont actually take any offence to swearing...but I have to agree that in this country its pretty much the norm! I agree with what Brittany said over this whole matter...and there are two side to everything...I always look at both..I just feel that maybe a mountain has been created out of a mole hill with this whole situation....it upsets me when people argue on here...

--------------------
Natalie

Simon new
      #123516 - 11/19/04 06:11 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Simon,

Great to see you supporting your lovely wife! You present such an ordered and reasonable argument.

I still think that this has really gotten blown out of all proportion but respect everyone's views and everyone's right to say what they think, I just don't like when one person is "villianified" as a result of an innocent comment that was made in support of another board member.

gigi you have shown real Christian values by forgiving and accepting, that is the basis of all Christian faiths.

That's all from me for the moment, hope this thread is close to ending.

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Edited by cailin (11/19/04 06:15 AM)

Can We Not Say Anything Anymore?? new
      #123523 - 11/19/04 06:27 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

In a society where we pride ourselves on all of our freedoms, I am disgusted that the use of the phrase "godammit" is being taken so far. I'm almost certain that Linz wasn't in fact trying to "damn god"....and she probably wasn't trying to offend anyone....what has this world come to when you can't say anything anymore???

I am a christian too....but come on!!! Relax a little....if we freak out everytime someone says something we don't like we're gonna waste a lot of time that could be spent doing more worthwhile things!!

Re: Godammit! new
      #123525 - 11/19/04 06:31 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

You know, a piece of me always thought we were talking about "durn."

As a former English teacher, I have always welcomed the use of language to provoke and offend. I think it's enlightening when our moral sensibilities are pushed, and it reveals a lot about ourselves how we react.

I would no more chastise someone for "swearing" than I would punish someone for speaking.

As this is an opinionated forum, I offer mine: I think educated women who swear are sexy (My $.02).

~nelly~ Pumpkin!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 221 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20689

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review