All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Re: Fellow Sailor! new
      #123249 - 11/18/04 01:57 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

WYSIWYG!

Its AGES since i heard that....when I heard it first I was like who is this wizzy wig guy!

I agree with you Nelly, we had great fun explaining to my parents what a "shockjock" was (my brother served Howard Stern when he worked in the Hamptons this summer)I mean try imagining my Dad saying the word in a rural Irish accent- comical!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#123256 - 11/18/04 02:11 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

That's sooo funny!! <Irish accent> Shockjock! </irish accent>

My mom is French and doesn't have a great grasp of slang... I told her a guy was hitting on me at a bar, and she's like, "Oh my gosh, Did he HURT you??"

~nelly~

#123257 - 11/18/04 02:11 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

When Rich was in the NAVY we had five roomates also all in the NAVY!! Guess where I got my potty mouth!!! i was also the talk of the apartment complex me and Six guys all living together in a four bedroom apartment!!!!! LOL

--------------------
Heather7476

#123259 - 11/18/04 02:14 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Nelly, I can't believe your mom asked if he HURT you when you said a guy was hitting on you!! To Funny!

I too, have a potty mouth and really need to watch myself when around polite company!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

hitting on people... new
      #123263 - 11/18/04 02:19 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

LOL! There are so many literal things that don't make sense. In Irish (Gaelic) the word for hitting someone and meeting someone are the same and are only differentiated by the preposition that comes after, the number of times my teacher SCREAMED at people for saying in essays that the had hit someone, the funniest had to be the essay we wrote about our heroes, where a girl wrote that she would love to have hit Gandhi!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Re: Sorry! new
      #123333 - 11/18/04 04:27 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

I'm a sailor, too, Linz. No worries here. It's not offensive to me, and I just ignore things I see online that are offensive to me....

PS: why haven't you been online (messenger) lately!? i was actually on a lot this week 'cause I was home sick... didn't see ya. Maybe we just kept missing each other....

--------------------

Re: hitting on people... new
      #123341 - 11/18/04 04:38 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

LOL!! Hitting Gandhi!! Now that's really funny!!

I have to be careful what I say around my mom. I really have to limit my slang, because sometimes, sometimes, she tries to incorporate it into her lexicon. It can get pretty embarrassing!! Words and phrases to avoid explaining to my mom include: morning wood, c**k-blocking, tool, and perv. *shaking head* Nothing's worse when a well-meaning mom trying to sound hip to impress her grown children.

~nelly~

gigi...beagle lover new
      #123412 - 11/18/04 06:59 PM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

I asked Heather to remove the post, she declined. It is her board so I am respectfully bowing out and leaving the board. I wish you both the many many blessings!

You're leaving the board? new
      #123437 - 11/18/04 08:09 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Why? That is so sad....

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

In Linz's defence... new
      #123440 - 11/18/04 08:24 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

I think it is really important for us to all be able to say when we are offended by something BUT not to the point that it makes that person feel terrible about themselves ie if that post is not removed, it causes someone to leave a board that is extremley loving and respectful. Nothing was said in a spiteful, disrespectful way. And yes, in London, that phrase is used with no impact....fortunately or unfortunately, its considered a normal word. That has to be taken into account and respect given to Linz for that. I feel upset about this actually!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 86 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20689

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review