View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
work ethics question
      #120864 - 11/11/04 06:04 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Ok. me need your help...
I arrived in NYC to live, from London, a month ago. I applied to New York University to begin my Masters degree in Clinical Nutrition in January, I won't hear back from them for a few more weeks. Meanwhile I have been looking for temping work to make a few dollars and fill my time (and make friends because my husband is my only one right now!!!).
Yesterday I went to see these recruitment consultants who I told I wanted temp work but started going on about this amazing job that was perfect for me. It really is a match made in heaven. However, it is a full time job, for a non profit organisation (medical research) and I might leave in January if I get into university because I have waited three years for this masters degree, it is my dream! However, if I don't get into university, then it would be fantastic to have a meaningful job before I reapply to get in in september again. I have no idea if the university are going to give me a place or not.
Some people say that I can work for a year and then start studying BUT I want a career in nutrition and plus, each year I delay my degree, I delay starting a family. I don't want babies now, but I know I want to have one before I am thirty - I am now 25, and the masters degree takes 2.5 years.
Is it incredibly dishonest and grotesque of me to take the job and possibly quit in two months????? Its such a waste of their energy etc BUT what about taking care of number one and the job being a kind of insurance policy for me incase I don't get into my masters???
Thanks so much for helping...

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: work ethics question new
      #120875 - 11/11/04 06:41 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'd take it....you've got to do what you've got to do!! By taking the job you're covering all of your bases...and I'm sure if you did end up leaving in 2 months they wouldn't go under or anything....they just might be a little inconvenienced....I say do it....good luck!!

#120877 - 11/11/04 06:49 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Yep, I agree - TAKE IT. I guarantee it wouldn't be the first time someone quit after 2 months. The working world is vicious! You can't sit back and be kind - the truth is, you don't know if you'll be there 2 months or longer! My advice would be to definately take it.

--------------------
~Cara~

#120879 - 11/11/04 06:51 AM
JBI

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: BC, Canada

I agree, if you knew for sure that you were going to be starting your Master's or that you'll be getting in no problem, then that may be a little different, however, since you seem to be not sure, I say give it a shot.

#120887 - 11/11/04 07:12 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Have they actually offered you the job, or did they just "go on and on" about it? If you are offered the job, and you chose to take it, is it possible to continue working there part-time, should you be accepted at NYU?
You are in a sticky position. My main qualm about taking a job you don't intend to stick with is that you are burning bridges and making people unlikely to want to help you in the future. This could come back and hurt you when you are looking for work next year or something.
Another question comes to mind as well. I know you recently moved here from the UK. What is your immigration status? If you are a legal permanent resident (green card) or a conditional permanent resident (sometimes happens when you have been married to an American citizen for less than two years when you move here), or a citizen, then this won't matter. But, if you are currently a non-immigrant, ie, you haven't gone through all the process yet, then you might actually need an American business to sponser you (ie, if you need a work visa). And, if you will be studying at NYU through a student visa, you likely won't be allowed to have a job on the side. Again, if you are in the first 3 categories that I listed, then this doesn't apply to you.
My gut says that you shouldn't do anything sneaky or dishonest, for their sake but also for your own. It's just never a good idea to leave people on bad terms -- especially if this is the kind of place where you'd like to work.
Also, it couldn't hurt to phone the admissions dept at NYU. This is a very busy time for them, but you might catch someone on the phone who can tell you your admissions status. That's what I ended up having to do with Fordham Law.
Good luck with all of this,
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#120888 - 11/11/04 07:12 AM
daliatree

oh you are all the best...thank you!! I have a really soft heart to the extent that I would rather inconvienience myself then others...its silly and I know noone became successful doing that...thank you!!!

--------------------

#120892 - 11/11/04 07:16 AM
daliatree

thanks for the insight. I have a legal permanent immigration card, all the paperwork is through and I also have a social security number etc.
You hit the nail on the head with the 'starting the job with a yucky taste in the mouth'...but...I once had a job which I intended to secretly leave in 6 weeks and ended up staying almost a year because my plans didn't work out...will have to think about it more. I haven't been offered the job yet but the recruitment consultant (you know how they go on) were so taken with me ( ) and I saw the email they sent the company and it was saying amazing things. they have been recruiting for this company for 15 years and knew immediately I was the type they would go for,...but you never know..part of me wants to be rejected just so I don't have to deal with this moral dilemma.
so you think maybe I can call NYU? I was scared to, I don't want to bother them...if you are applying for jan semester..do you know when I should hear by?
Thanks for all your help....

--------------------

Hmmm.... new
      #120930 - 11/11/04 08:39 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

quite the pickle you are in, I have no idea what I would do!
Good luck though, and just one thought, maybe you will love this job so much that you will not want the masters anymore? But, then again, that may be a situation you regret later.

Sounds like you want the job, so why don't you just take it?

--------------------
-Sheri

#120931 - 11/11/04 08:39 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

If you are hoping to start in January, they are going to want a tuition check soon. My check for next semester at Fordham was already due. I imagine you'll hear soon. But,it certainly couldn't hurt to call. You'll only speak with a secretary, not anyone in charge, so I can't imagine that it would hurt your chances. I'd give them a call.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#120938 - 11/11/04 08:47 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

this si so true and if you do get in for Jan- you can always talk to them about staying part time or something.. and be honest that you had applied for school before you took the position, but because you hadn't heard you had to assume you weren't being accepted for Jan.. so it was a surprise to you too.. and to be honest- if you got in right now I'd be shocked.. they should already have notified you for Jan term- its only 2 months away!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 449 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4451

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review