All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Pregnant Yorkie!
      #120777 - 11/10/04 08:53 PM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

Have any of you ever had a dog that had puppies??? I have a yorkie that is 7 1/2 weeks pregnant. I guess they can have a lot of problems since they are so small so Im worried sick about the delivery! I have some people telling me to just sit back and watch because she will do everything herself and then I have others telling me to do everything from pulling them out to cutting the ambilical (sp?) cord! I took her to the vet today for an X-ray to see how many puppies there are (THERE IS 4!) and he said she looked perfectly healthy and everything should go smoothly. Anyone have any experience??

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

animals and umbilical cords new
      #120783 - 11/10/04 09:12 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

a question - what the hell happens with umbilical cords in mammals..i mean, they don't have scissors....

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Re: animals and umbilical cords new
      #120793 - 11/10/04 09:50 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I have seen puppies born on tv I don't remmber there being umbilical cords!!! HHMMMM Look it up on the internet!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

#120796 - 11/10/04 09:56 PM
Sunshyne

Reged: 10/26/04
Loc: San Antonio

puppies are born in a sac type thing, just like humans, the mommy licks it off and eats the extra junk(placenta) for sustenance... in the old days, so did people. Some cultures still save the placenta, dry it and grind it up for medicinal purposes....

#120799 - 11/10/04 09:58 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Quote:

puppies are born in a sac type thing, just like humans, the mommy licks it off and eats the extra junk(placenta) for sustenance... in the old days, so did people. Some cultures still save the placenta, dry it and grind it up for medicinal purposes.... OK EEEEWWWWW AND YYYUUUKKK AND YYYIIKEEESSS

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: Pregnant Yorkie! new
      #120816 - 11/11/04 02:59 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Oh that is so cool! Enjoy!

Get a good book on whelping and ask your vet for any hints they might have.

As I understand it, the bitch will do everything herself, but you need to be there in case she does need help. Or in case a pup needs help.

Btw, in nature, the mother will bite through the umbilical cord.

Good luck! This is such an exciting time for you!

PS. Who's the father? Is it another Yorkie?

#120821 - 11/11/04 03:42 AM

Unregistered

How cute!! I just bought a yorkie like 3 months ago. Sorry I can't help ya too much about the delivery part, but how big is she normally? The breeder we got ours from said that we could breed our pup but not if she didn't make it to being 5lbs because otherwise it's gets kinda dangerous for them. How many weeks are dogs normally pregnant for?? Well I'm wishing you tons of good luck!! Are you keeping all the puppies or do you want to send me one???

Our cat had kittens 5 weeks ago... new
      #120845 - 11/11/04 05:24 AM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

and she did it all herself. She is a petite kitty...only one survived but we think it is because they are premature. Your dogs instinct will take over and she will know what to do. It's funny how animals make it through labor just fine and humans have to go thru lamaze!

#121022 - 11/11/04 11:56 AM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

Ya I think its gonna be a pretty gross thing to watch but I cant wait to see them! My yorkie is 9lbs so she definitely is ok there. Me and my husband bought my neice a Male yorkie because she loved mine so much and we bred her to him. There both AKC registered and very cute so the puppies will be adorable! We just found out there are 4 puppies yesterday and we already have 2 possibly 3 sold!

#121042 - 11/11/04 12:58 PM
Sunshyne

Reged: 10/26/04
Loc: San Antonio

basically, just make sure she has a comfortable, closed in place to birth them, that is also big enough to have a corner to lay down newspaper. You can help her get the puppies out if she needs it, if they are stuck or she gets really tired. You might have to help the puppies breathe, buy an aspirator (blue booger sucker thing in the baby section of any store :P) to suck the fluid from their mouths... sometimes mom will just ignore them until they are done coming out. You will need warm towels/blankies to put them in and plenty of food and water for mom, she needs it for making milk for the pups. Its a good idea to have tiny feeder bottles on hand and pup formula in case mom won't feed them. USUALLY the mom will do it herself, but once in a while, they just don't. So its best to be prepared... good luck!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1915 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1796

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review