All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help with IBS safe pain meds.. I have
      #120228 - 11/09/04 09:42 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

been on no meds basically (tylenol does nothing) since I started the IBS diet because at the same time my GI took me off all NSAIDS and thus every arthritis med I was on. The problem is with the weather turning I am losing it enough pain that I basically didn't sleep last night and now my stomach is upset anyway- probably from lack of sleep and stress.. but is there something I can take to help my joints so I can get some rest????

Thanks in advance guys.. Amie who is heading home from work because she can't do her job feeling this out of controla dn short tempered due to lack of rest.

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help with IBS safe pain meds.. I have new
      #120250 - 11/09/04 10:32 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Well I don't know bout arthritus, but I take co-codamol (paracetamol and codeine) for Fibro. I've also looked into Tramadol. Can you ask your doc? There are plenty of pain meds that don't affect IBS much, but most of them aren't anti-inflammatory. Ask you doc!

#120288 - 11/09/04 12:05 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Sorry Sweets!!! I don't have any advice except call your doc!! Hope you feel better soon!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

#120300 - 11/09/04 12:29 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey,

I can totally sympathize with you. I have bad endometriosis and the best pain meds for it by far are the NSAIDS, and I have a really hard time tolerating them. The docs gave me percocet during my last period and even it didn't work as well as a high-dose NSAID.

I don't have any really good advice, a doc recently told me to try Toradol which is a relatively new anti-inflammatory which is supposedly a little easier on the gut. I had to stop taking Naproxen which is what I took for my periods because of gut trouble and possible GI bleeding. If you do take them, just make sure to ALWAYS eat with them. It's so much harder on the tummy on an empty stomach. And don't be like me and just have like one cracker with them - not smart!

The only other thing I can suggest is seeing if you can work something out to get an injection NSAID when your arthritis is really bad. I had the Toradol injected a few times over the last few months for really bad abdominal cramping and it didn't bother me. If they inject it then it will bypass your GI tract.

Hope that helps!
Kelly

thanks guys... new
      #120466 - 11/10/04 06:32 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I'll take the list I got from here in tomorrow- she told me to try just aleeve today and make sure I ate plenty of soluble fiber when I took it!!!!

thought you'd appreciate.. she also suggested moist heat.. and repeated thermacare.. but Meijers didn't have any and the Ace ones have latex in them- I'm allergic... I hope the thermacare ones don't, but I bought a second heating pad anyway... gonna go lay on the couch with it and leave the other up in our room.. I can take this one to work and plug it in at my desk I think...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 506 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 328

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review