--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: RachelT are you testing today? NT new
      #119836 - 11/08/04 07:45 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Hi Steph! Thanks for thinking of me!

I went with what BabyZone suggested and tested yesterday morning... It was very light, but I got a positive result. Even though he saw it too, DH is skeptical that it was an actual positive result... so I will be testing again in a couple of days.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#119860 - 11/08/04 08:39 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I was just going to email you and ask the same question... now I know!

Good idea to test again in a bit, but I'm still excited for ya!!

#119868 - 11/08/04 08:59 AM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

That's wonderful!!!! I'm very happy for you! Let us know when you test again!

So that makes 2 out of the 6 that are trying PG!!! Maybe I'll be next!!! I have until the 17th before I'll know!!!

You need to post this on the makin' babies thread!!!

--------------------

#119899 - 11/08/04 09:56 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

Yay....let us know when you test again!!

--------------------
~jules

Re: YAY!!! new
      #119900 - 11/08/04 09:57 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

OMG, I'm so excited for you!!!! ANY positive is a postive when it comes to pregnancy tests!!!!! Mine are always really faint at first. I even tested after I was over a week late last time, just for the heck of it, and it still wasn't very dark even though I had my blood test done and knew my HCG level was almost 1,000!!! How are you feeling??? ANy symptoms?? My boobs always hurt very early and I had pichy kinda cramps early one also. And lets not forget the fatigue and nausea, oh as bad as that sounds I can't wait to feel it again!!! LOL!! I'm about to ovulate so maybe I'll just be a few weeks behind you girls!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#119909 - 11/08/04 10:06 AM
RachelT

Michele?

What brand of tests have you used??? I used EPT yesterday. Is there any brand that's better?

Ok, truth be known... since I was wide awake at 3:00 this morning, I fell victim to the "what if" scenerio. I took a different brand of test, and it came back negative. But I had also been drinking a bunch of water because I was thirsty. Ugh... I haven't even told DH that I took another one because I want to believe I got a false negative. I'm so embarrassed. Could I have gone from being positive to being negative in 18 hours? Or do you think it was inaccurate because of the water? I wasn't going to obscess like this...

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

#119914 - 11/08/04 10:14 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I would either wait a few days or call your doc and go in for a blood test!!! Do you have a new doc yet??? I am hoping it is postive!!!! Keep us posted!!!
Good luck and lots of love!!!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

#119916 - 11/08/04 10:17 AM
michele

Ok, try to relax. Not all ept are equal. Each brand will test positive at a different level of hcg. You can do a search through google, I once found a really cool sire that compared each brand. I buy super cheap ones from on-line. They will test positive at 20 hcg though, thats the most sensative. Most brands won't test positive until 50 hcg or even 100. So, if you tested with 2 different brands, you very well could get 2 different results this early. Also, diluted urine would make a BIG difference this early. Because the levels are so low the more diluted they are from drinking water etc, the more chances of getting a false negative. Very rarely, like almost never, do you get a false positive unless you have left over hcg from a previous pregnancy, which is not your case at all.

I will tell you the last time I was pregnant, I tested at 4 am and I stood in the kitchen holding the stick up to the light and stared at it forever trying to decide if I saw a second line or not!! I finally woke up hubby and made him get up to look. There was a second line for sure but it was very faint. I had a blood test 2 days later to confirm it.

You need to find out at what hcg level your tests are good for. If it doesn't say that on the box type the brand into google and search it. Also, this early, you really should only use first morning pee because it will be the most concentrated!! Try to relax today (impossible, I know ) and retest tomorrow am.

--------------------

#119917 - 11/08/04 10:17 AM
RachelT

Thanks you so much Heather! I'm feeling kind of down today, so the support is greatly appreciated! I haven't called yet, so I don't have a doc. But I will call soon, I promise.

HUGS to you too!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

#119924 - 11/08/04 10:22 AM
jules

Here's one Web page I found: http://www.childbirth.org/articles/pregtest.html

I know there's a WAY better one out there, and I'm still searching for it...

Here's another:

http://www.webwomb.com/hpt_levels_hcg_levels.htm

--------------------
~jules

Edited by jules (11/08/04 10:24 AM)

Re: Rachel new
      #119927 - 11/08/04 10:25 AM
michele

I just remembered your other post, are you still spotting?? Fill me in on what days you spotted and whats happening in the area?? Sorry if this is too personal but if your not spotting are you having any sort of discharge or are you dry?? There's a reason I'm asking, I'm not just being nosey!!

--------------------

Ah ha!!! new
      #119928 - 11/08/04 10:28 AM
RachelT

Clear Blue easy is the one I took this morning at 3... it detects at 50 and the e.p.t. detects at 40. Wow! Ok... trying to feel positive now. Thanks for all the suggestions! I know I have to relax... it's just driving me crazy!! To top it off, I'm exhausted from not getting enough sleep. One more question, if I may... I'm still not due to get my period till tomorrow. Do you think I should wait and see if I get it, or call the doc anyway?

PS. www.babyzone.com has all the detection info.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

#119932 - 11/08/04 10:30 AM
RachelT

Heck... I don't mind at all. Yeah I'm still spotting. It's a brownish color (today is the 5th day of it). I'm certainly not dry down there. Sometimes the spotting is visible in my undies, but mainly when I wipe. I'm also still experiencing a little cramping still.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Re: Ah ha!!! new
      #119933 - 11/08/04 10:30 AM
heather7476

I would call now and tell them had a postive pg test!!!
Oh I am so hoping your PG!!!!!!! I can hardle stand the wait between you and jules I am going nuts right along with you!!!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

#119934 - 11/08/04 10:31 AM
jules

Yeah, call them, just to be sure. It can't hurt!

LOL, Heather about going nutso with both of us. One hour and 30 mins to go!

--------------------
~jules

#119935 - 11/08/04 10:32 AM
michele

I posted asking you about the spotting, let me know whats happening there. I would start calling the dr now! It will probably be at least a few days before they can get you in. That way, you'll have the appt booked and IF aunt flo has the gall to show up after all, you can always call and cancel it!

--------------------

#119941 - 11/08/04 10:44 AM
heather7476

How long have been off the pill??? If you don't mind me asking!!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

#119942 - 11/08/04 10:46 AM
RachelT

Hmmm, for about a year and 5 months. Have you taken it?

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

#119944 - 11/08/04 10:50 AM
michele

Hmm, Rachel, I know you are very anxious right now and I certainly don't want to make you more so but...I'm sorry, the spotting is concerning me. This is almost exactly what happened the first time I got pregnant. I just hate saying this but it just doesn't sound right to me. A little implantation spotting is ok but spotting for days usually isn't a good sign. Some women DO spot like this and have a perfectly healthy pregnancy and baby. My advice is to try and keep yourself real busy today and not dwell on this, I know thats pretty hard to do. Re-test tomorrow with FMU. If its postive, get in ASAP to the dr and have them do a blood test. Tell them about the spotting and be sure they check your progesterone, also a blood test. They will probably re-test you in 2 days because of the spotting to see if your numbers are going up or down. Its possible that you may have fertilized an egg but there could be something wrong and thats why you are getting different answers on the epts and spotting. I feel awful for saying all this, I know you are already stressed out, I thought twice about saying anything at all. I just don't want you to get too excited until we know everything is ok. I made that mistake the first time, even though there were signs right from the start that something might have been wrong but I just wanted a baby so bad and it made it harder to deal with when I realized what had happened. I hope I'm way off base here but I don't want to see you hurt like I was. Keep us posted.

Just to eliborate on the whole wet or dry question. Most girls are really dry just before they start their periods. Most girls report having an increase in discharge in early pregnancy.

--------------------

#119945 - 11/08/04 10:52 AM
heather7476

Yep!! I went on it when I was 16 and stayed on it till I was 24 and then went back on after Kenna was born!!! I was just wondering because if you had just gone off that might explain the spotting!!! But that is not the case so I am getting even more convinced you are pg!!!!
CALL THE DOCTOR!!!!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

#119950 - 11/08/04 11:14 AM
RachelT

Thanks Michele. I was actually thinking the same thing. Although, I have read that some women spot for their entire first trimester.

I called the doc and set up an appt. It's for Wednesday, unfortunately they will only do a urine test, so I don't think I'll be seeing the doc. I'll keep you all posted...

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

#119952 - 11/08/04 11:21 AM
michele

Why just a urine test??? It doesn't take a dr to draw blood?

--------------------

#119954 - 11/08/04 11:22 AM
RachelT

I don't know... they have me just set up for an appt in the lab. I guess maybe because they feel that they need to confirm with urine first? At least I won't be charged for the lab test!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

#119955 - 11/08/04 11:23 AM
heather7476

UUMM I agree with Michele. If you are still spotting I would demand a blood test!!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

#119957 - 11/08/04 11:24 AM
RachelT

Do you think I can still demand it if I'm not scheduled for it?? While I'm there for the urine test?

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

#119959 - 11/08/04 11:28 AM
heather7476

If your still spotting and the test comes back postive then HELL ya!!! You will know the results of you urin test right then (at least I did). If it is postive I would demand something be done just in case something is wrong!! I don't want to stress you out or make you worry any more than you already are but I wouldn't leave that office without some answers as to why your still spotting or at least haveing them start runnig some blood work!!! I hope everything is fine!!!
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<BIG HUGS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

--------------------
Heather7476

#119962 - 11/08/04 11:40 AM
michele

I agree with Heather. Call back and tell them you have been spotting and are worried. Ask them if the dr can leave an order for the blood test. Typically, you have to have a dr's order for a blood test but I see no reason whats so ever why they wouldn't give an order for it!! Tell them you are spotting and keep getting inconclusive results with the urine tests. Why do dr's office's have to give us such a hard time for the simplest things!! If they give you a hard time than ask them what they plan to do once you pee on the stick in their office.

--------------------

#119964 - 11/08/04 11:48 AM
RachelT

Ugh! I went through this in February when I miscarried. I went to the doc the very same day that I had 2 positive results, and the urinalysis in their office came back negative. They wouldn't even give me a blood test or pelvic to confirm that I was miscarrying. (This was also with a different gyno than I normally saw.) Later on in May when I spoke with my regular gyno, he verbally confirmed that I had had an "early" miscarriage, going by all the symptoms before and after that day. (The next day was when all the pain and crap hit me.)

Now that I'm in a different state, maybe I can get better treatment. I don't think I'll call and demand a blood test, but if my urinalysis confirms a positive result on Wednesday, I will definately speak up.

Thanks again for all the support and advice. I'm glad I'm not going through this alone.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

#119968 - 11/08/04 11:54 AM
michele

Have you ever had your progesterone checked? I know I've talked about this before but IF, IF, IF you are having another early miscarriage, you may very well not be producing enough progesterone to support a pregnancy.

Did you keep the ept that turned out positive? If so, take it with you. Is your appt in the am at least??

--------------------

#119970 - 11/08/04 11:59 AM
RachelT

I didn't keep it. Ooops! I didn't think I needed to. My test is for 8:10 in the am, so yay for that.

I've never been tested for my progesterone levels... never had any reason to. My last gyno wanted to wait until we had TTC for at least a year before doing any expensive tests. Since we haven't really made much of an effort until this month, I haven't given it any thought.

I will for sure do another home test tomorrow morning... if that one comes out positive, I will bring it with me to show it.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Re: Post as soon as you POAS tomorrow!!-nt new
      #119999 - 11/08/04 12:56 PM
michele

--------------------

#120126 - 11/08/04 06:13 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04

Good Luck with everything and I agree with the rest of the ladies. I would demand a blood test since you already have had a miscarriage. Hang in there. It all sounds pretty positive. I had spotting for at least a week with my pregnancy and it happened before my period was due to come! Sending more baby wishes your way!

Well, I believe I've lost another fertilized egg... new
      #120167 - 11/09/04 08:14 AM
RachelT

I took another test today and it was negative. As sad as I am about it, I'm feeling a lot better about it than I was yesterday. Yesterday I was pretty heartbroken, today, I've come to accept it. I got some sleep last night too, which I think helps me to put things into perspective better. I could tell physically yesterday that things weren't the same, and today I feel completely back to normal.

I called the Dr.'s office to cancel my lab appointment for tomorrow, and the lady felt that I sould still come in and talk with the doc about it. I'm so glad. Maybe we can get to the bottom of why this keeps happening. Eric also thinks that he should have tests done as well, so eventually betweent the two of us, we'll get something figured out.

Thank you ladies for being there for me yesterday. I was feeling so alone and scared. It really helped me a lot to be able to talk with you and get your suggestions and support.

Now, as for everyone else...

Jules - I'm so excited for you and I hope and pray that you have a healthy, full-term pregnancy, and I look forward to seeing newborn pictures in the next 10 months!

Michele - I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! Here's to successful conception! ***Happy baby thoughts***

Steph - Am I correct in that you're on the TWW??... I can't remember. Just in case, I'm sending happy baby thoughts your way.

Heather - I'm glad you were able to get to the bottom of why you were having problems... sorry to your DH that it was him. At least now that you know, you have insight on how to deal with it. Sending happy baby thoughts your way too.

Cara - Are you still trying??? Wishing you luck if you are!!!

Maybe Jules can sprinkle some magical baby dust on all of us and we'll all be preggers in the next month. Good luck everyone!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Re: Well, I believe I've lost another fertilized egg... new
      #120170 - 11/09/04 08:17 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04

Rachel-
I am so sorry! I was really hoping for you. BIG HUG coming your way. You should definatley keep your appointment with the doctor. Keep us posted and hang in there!!!!

#120175 - 11/09/04 08:29 AM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

I'm sorry Rachel. I'm sure your haiving lots of mixed emotions going on right now. I do think you should keep your appt too. Maybe you need progesterin like Michele. It could be something really simple!

Please get to the Dr and get some answers!!

Good luck to you! And again, I'm sorry!

--------------------

#120183 - 11/09/04 08:45 AM
michele

I'm so sorry sweetie, I know how heartbreaking it is. Big hugs to you!!

Yes, I do think you should keep your appt tomorrow!! Be prepared to have to be firm. It sounds like this is probably the second early miscarriage you have had. Some things to ask about would be: Rh factor, can be ruled out when you and hubby both know your blood types. Clotting disorders, very common for repeated miscarriage, can be easily enough checked with blood tests, warning, they will take a LOT of blood . Ask if you can come in after you ovulate next month to have your progesterone checked. Right after you ovulate your progesterone should steadily increase to prepare your lining to hold the fertilized egg. If your not making enough progesterone, your body won't be able to nourish the fertilized egg, resulting in miscarriage. This is my problem. I now take progesterone suppositories after ovulation to correct this. Many dr's don't want to do much testing until you have had THREE miscarriages in a row. I think this is cruel. The things I mentioned are easy enough to check and there is no reason not to do them if this is indeed a second miscarriage for you. A lot of the time they never do come up with an answer but these are some of the most common reasons for recurrent miscarriage and they are treatable.

Please let us know how your appt goes tomorrow. I think you already visit the babyzone web site but www.ivillage.com also has some good support boards for TTC and miscarriage. There is one specifically for TTC after miscarriage, I visit there a lot. Big, Big, Hugs to you.

--------------------

#120197 - 11/09/04 09:08 AM
heather7476

Rachel!!!! <<<<<BIG HUGE MASSIVE HUGS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I am so sorry sweets!!! I agree you should still see the doctor!!! It will happen sweets!!!! Just try to keep postive!!!!
LOTS OF LOVE

--------------------
Heather7476

#120273 - 11/09/04 11:15 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

I'm sorry Becky! I haven't been posting too much on this 'baby post' - but I've been reading when I have time!! I'm glad you are going to the doctor anyways to talk about it...let us know what he says of course!

Yes we are still trying. We have until January - if I'm not pregnant by then, I'm taking chlomid!

Good luck girls!

--------------------
~Cara~

Michele... have you read this??? new
      #120276 - 11/09/04 11:34 AM
RachelT

It's from ivillage.com...

Quote:

Recurrent Miscarriage with Low Progesterone

I am in my mid-20s and my husband in his late 20s. In the past five months I have miscarried twice, both times before nine weeks pregnant. In both cases, my hormone level was extremely low (confirmed by several blood tests). What can I do to stay pregnant if my body doesn't produce the "pregnancy hormone" that it needs? --Jennifer

Mark Perloe

Dr. Perloe, assistant professor of obstetrics and gynecology at the Medical College of Georgia, is medical director of Georgia Reproductive Specialists in Atlanta and director of reproductive endocrinology/infertility at Atlanta Medical Center.

Unfortunately, many women are led down this wrong path, receive the wrong treatment and ultimately suffer another miscarriage. Their physicians incorrectly decide that low progesterone -- the "pregnancy hormone" of which you speak -- was the culprit and promise that things will go better the next time if only you take enough progesterone. Research shows us that falling or low progesterone levels are a sign of a bad pregnancy and not the cause of pregnancy failure.

Maybe you have... but I found it quite interesting.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Re: Michele... have you read this??? new
      #120283 - 11/09/04 11:58 AM
michele

Yes. I have heard the same thing also and it is true in most cases. However, with me they have checked my hormones after ovulating before pregnancy and confirmed that I don't make enough progesterone. They also did an autospy on my little girl and she was completey healthy. I have been tested for all the other things I mentioned to you before and they have determined me to be progesterone defiecent. If there is something wrong with the baby, like a chromosone problem or something, than that can also make your progesterone low and taking supplements will not correct this kind of a thing.

--------------------

Re: Michele... have you read this??? new
      #120290 - 11/09/04 12:11 PM
RachelT

Oh good (I mean, not good in your case), but I'm glad that you have seen it though. Just making sure. What a terrible thing to have to go through. You have my sympathies!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

#120293 - 11/09/04 12:19 PM
jules

I'm so sorry! I was really hoping things were going to work out with you as well! I'm glad you feel better about it today. Hopefully, you'll get to the bottom of all this soon.

God, life is so fragile, isn't it? My m/c really made me think about that. About how many million things need to go right for it all to come together.

Wishing you good luck at your appointment.

--------------------
~jules

#120309 - 11/09/04 01:05 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Just *hugs* for you... I'm sorry, Rachel.

Rachel, you're in my thoughts and prayers -----nt--- new
      #120492 - 11/10/04 07:29 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

#122873 - 11/17/04 02:08 PM
LittleLamb

Reged: 07/22/04
Loc: USA

Hello dear ladies –

Rachel – Let me start by saying how sorry I am to hear of the loss of your baby. I have also lost a baby to miscarriage and it is devastating, no matter how tiny they were.

I am posting this message because I have read that some of you are trying to conceive or are having trouble conceiving. I hope you find this information useful.

I posted some of this message on another board because they were discussing oral contraceptives and how awful they made them feel. That is why the pill is referenced in this post. I am leaving some of that discussion in so that it will make sense and be in context.

6. What do I do without the pill? - After my surgery my husband and I were looking for some other method of birth control. After what I had learned, I was completely unwilling to accept any chemical or hormonal solution. A dear friend told me about NFP (Natural Family Planning). I had learned a little bit about it in nursing school, but I must admit that I was completely misinformed by my instructor about it. She presented a very biased view and basically told us all that it was a bunch of hooey. I knew that she must be wrong but didn't have the time to pursue it further. So when my friend re-introduced it to my mind - it seemed worth learning more about. I am so glad I did!

For those of you who don't know, NFP teaches fertility sign awareness. You chart your observations daily and then base your sexual activity or abstinence on these signs. There are four different methods you can learn, but you only need to know one.

My husband and I took a class at our local hospital. I had many misgivings at the beginning - will it work for my irregular cycles, how effective is it, how will it effect my marriage, is it difficult, how much does it cost, is it only for Catholics? In short, I learned that it works perfectly for my irregular cycles, it is 98-99% effective when used after proper instruction and implementation, it has enhanced understanding and communication in our marriage, it is not hard at all, it is free after the costs of the class (about $60), and anyone can use this method - you don't have to belong to any particular religion. I have to tell you that it has been a huge blessing in our lives.

First of all, I felt like myself again. No more depression, bitterness, grumpiness, etc. My libido came back, no more pain and the yeast infections dwindled away.

Second, our marriage was better. Husbands attend the classes with their wives and learn about female biology, fertility and communication.

Third, I knew that when we wanted to conceive we would already have the knowledge to make that easier.

Fourth, your fertility is a normal process, not a disease. Birth control chemicals are at best unnecessary drugs. I knew that I was not putting dangerous chemicals into my body any longer. These unnecessary hormones from an unnatural source surely cannot help your IBS!

Fifth, I was healthier. NFP uses the information contained in your charting to pinpoint potential health problems. Good nutrition is so important for so many aspects of your menstrual-fertility cycle. Sometimes a cycle irregularity is due to something quite a bit more serious - a certified NFP instructor can note potential problems in your charting and direct you to proper medical care.

Most doctors pooh-pooh NFP and call it the rhythm method. IT IS NOT THE RHYTHM METHOD!!! I cannot stress that enough. Most medical schools today do an incredibly poor job of teaching awareness of alternative methods of doing things. Most conventional fertility doctors aren't educated in the information that can be gleaned from NFP charting and instead immediately jump into pumping you full of fertility drugs.

I have read several ladies' posts about trying to conceive, miscarriages, etc. I would highly recommend that you take a class in NFP. The instructors might have some amazingly simple suggestions for you that will help you conceive or carry a baby to term. (We lost a precious baby to miscarriage and I can empathize with your losses. ) Approximately 20% of couples today have problems achieving pregnancy when they want to. If there is a true, permanent physical reason that makes either of you infertile, then NFP will not help. But if you are suffering from reduced or marginal fertility, then the fertility awareness that NFP provides of your fertile signs of NFP can help you greatly. Many couples of low fertility achieve pregnancy within six months of learning NFP simply by using the cost-free, low-tech approach of fertility awareness provided by NFP. Sometimes spouses have to make minor changes in nutrition and exercise, but nothing extraordinary is required.

There is an institute that specializes in more natural methods of obtaining pregnancy - Dr. Thomas Hilgers at the Pope Paul VI Institute of Human Reproduction http://www.popepaulvi.com A great chapter on infertility in the book Life Giving Love by Kimberly Hahn has many good natural suggestions for couples who are trying to conceive.

If any of you have questions about NFP, please feel free to contact me. I can put you in touch with sources who can connect you with a local NFP instructor or NFP friendly physician!

I love these forums - I have learned a lot of tips/tricks from other IBS sufferers and they are so helpful. I only hope that some of my suggestions will help some of you too. I am going to post this also in the threads where fertility problems were discussed – perhaps they will be of help.

Blessings -

LittleLamb

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 471 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9615

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review