All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Well, we've had our first house-related...
      #118819 - 11/04/04 02:36 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

...unforeseen UNPLEASANT surprise. Our furnace doesn't work. Hasn't worked for a week now. We got more fuel oil delivered yesterday, hoping that would kind of improve things - I knew we were low-ish - but no, still the same, so it's definitely the furnace. It shuts itself off for no apparent reason, so you have to go in the basement, bleed the oil line, and reset it. I have to do this a minimum of 5 times a day - every time I want heat or hot water, basically. Talk about a royal pain in the tush. I'm just thanking my lucky stars that this is happening in November, when it's in the 20's at night, instead of in January, when it's in the negatives at night... because waking up to an icy-cold house blows.

Naturally, we'll get it fixed... we just can't afford it this week. Maybe next week. I'm hopeful.

Ok, I'm off to the basement with a flashlight - because most of our lights are out in the basement too - have I ever mentioned how much basements creep me out? especially dark ones? - so I can have some heat.

*end rant*

I LOVE OLD HOUSES!! Heh.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Well, we've had our first house-related... new
      #118821 - 11/04/04 02:41 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

O man that does SUCK!!! I hope you can get it fixed soon!!!
O yeah watch out for the BOOGIE MAN!! LOL

--------------------
Heather7476

#118823 - 11/04/04 02:45 AM
atomic rose

Don't talk about the boogieman... I don't need ANY help being afraid of the basement, thanks.

You know how basements sometimes have unfinished crawl spaces? Where it's just dirt, basically? I HATE THAT. Ours is really big, and there's just a small window into it from the main part of the basement, so you can't see all the way into it. My imagination goes crazy every time I go downstairs, thinking about what might be in there. *shiver*
LOL!

#118830 - 11/04/04 04:27 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Oh Casey that is such nuisance...but surely the vendors knew about this?? Over here if they didn't disclose it you would have redress against them. I remember Panda did a post about the US legal position on this lately if you do a search.

Is it going to be very expensive to fix?

We are just getting quotes for our bathroom to be renovated at the moment and hope to get the builders in before Christmas. That WILL be fun. We are taking out ANOTHER loan to pay for it as the bathroom is DISGUSTING (There are lots of life forms growing on the ceiling) I will post before and after pics once it is done.

Hope the furnace gets sorted soon!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

The stinker is... new
      #118832 - 11/04/04 04:34 AM
atomic rose

The furnace was inspected and tested at least twice before we closed, and it was fine. It was fine when we moved in, too. Just our luck, that's all. Adam's father seems to think it just needs a serious cleaning and a tune-up, so we're going to call someone today to come and look at it next week. Although, we might have to have someone in sooner - when I tried to reset the furnace this morning, it wouldn't reset! So I've been sitting here with 2 sweaters and my wool bathrobe on, trying to warm up.

Mmm, ceiling life forms. Yuck! That sounds like the bathroom in the place we just moved out of. Can't wait to see your before and after pictures - I'm sure it'll be impressive! Personally, I love renovating, so... have fun!

I know your pain.. new
      #118834 - 11/04/04 04:46 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

My friend and I lived with 2 guys in college who refused to pay for oil for the heating until the following semester and we couldn't afford it on our own so we used to study in bed with LOADS of clothes on. Until her parents brought us 2 electric heaters...they were in our rooms so the guys didn't know about them, and they couldn't refuse to split the electricity bill! tee hee hee!

Try doing some jumping jacks to keep warm, or go to the nearest mall!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

#118844 - 11/04/04 06:10 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Ha, ha. That's funny Casey. I guess that's what happens when you buy a house and stop renting. Something for me to look forward to, I guess.

But seriously, a cold house wouldn't be too much fun.

Hope you guys can get it fixed soon. I don't know about the weather there but they're calling for snow tonight here in Ottawa.

Have you posted any pictures of your lovely new place yet?

Ha ha!!! new
      #118864 - 11/04/04 07:59 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Casey... didn't we have this conversation the last time we talked? Poor you!!! I don't know if I'd ever get over my fear to have to go down there 5 times/day, especially in the dark! You know, I'm with you on this one!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#118896 - 11/04/04 09:06 AM
countrygirl

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Sorry to hear about your furnace problems.I know when we first bought this house the hot water heater went out in the first 2 weeks that we lived here.That was a big pain! I know what you mean about basements....when we were house hunting my hubby got the bright idea to look at run-down homes that we could renovate to our liking.He was all excited about 3 bedroom house in foreclosure that was listed for $20,000.Just to shut him up i went to look at it with him. In the basement the realtor pointed out a headstone/tombstone that was up under the base of the first floor fireplace facing downward towards the basement ceiling,you could even read the name on it and part of the date....it was very old and the realtor guessed in was an 1800's date......I couldnt get out of that house fast enough!!!!! I was totally creeped out and my hubby was mad because i wouldnt even consider the house at all.He said " your never gonna find the perfect house!" and i said " I think wanting a house without a tombstone in it,isnt too much to ask for!!!!" LOL, i can laugh about it now thankfully! No, we didnt buy the house either.

#118899 - 11/04/04 09:13 AM
Sunshyne

Reged: 10/26/04
Loc: San Antonio

A tombstone???? That is just too much for me too... jinkies!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1875 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6494

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review