All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)
Re: I noticed this Panda... new
      #118506 - 11/03/04 11:17 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

Boy, am I tired but was happy with today's results. I need a hell of a lot of sleep though. I was up until about 3am or so.

I don't know what was up with my state (NY). I voted for President Bush. I did not agree with everything he has to say but I think he can protect us better. I have a lot of faith that he can help heal the rifts in this country. He is going to have to try his best and I think he will do so. Kerry is a good man but I just didn't think he had what it took be Commander in Chief.

And yes, it is nice to see people express their views civilly on these boards.

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I served as a poll watcher yesterday, and after what I saw new
      #118508 - 11/03/04 11:19 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

You can always bet that NY will vote Democrat. I'm surprised that national security is not more important to a lot of New Yorkers, but here are my thoughts as to why they didn't vote for Bush.
1) Bush failed to make a clear connection between terrorism and Iraq. People were afraid of another 9/11 but didn't see the removal of Saddam Hussein as related to that.
2) In NYC, the majority of people are not religious and would identify with Sunshyne's point of view that she expressed above, with regards to abortion, and gay marriage. Kerry, by the way, is also against gay marriage.
3)Those New Yorkers who do identify themselves as religious are mostly Jewish, and for some reason Jewish people traditionally vote Democrat. Maybe someone else can guess why that is. Bush has pretty strongly supported Israel (actually one of the places where my opinions depart slightly from Bush's, but not completely), so I would think Bush had a chance of swaying the Jewish vote, but I guess not.
4) NYC is very multi-ethnic, and ethnic minorities (Blacks and Hispanics especially) generally vote Democratic. Again, not sure why. The strong exception is the Cubans, who almost always vote Republican.
5) This is a generalization, but in general many NY'ers, especially in Manhattan, tend to be either very wealthy or very poor. Both groups tend to vote heavily Democratic. Look at the election map. Bush got all the middle-america, working-class, rural/industrial states. Kerry got all the urbane, cosmopolitain states. Just the way it is.

These are just my opinions and I could be wrong -- it happens once in a while
--Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Tommy, with you 100% -nt- new
      #118509 - 11/03/04 11:21 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

--------------------
Amanda

Re: I served as a poll watcher yesterday, and after what I saw new
      #118510 - 11/03/04 11:22 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

Thanks Amanda, for sharing those thoughts. That makes sense to me.

--------------------
~jules

Amanda new
      #118513 - 11/03/04 11:23 AM
TommyNY

I need to find a SINGLE girl in this city who thinks like you!! You know where I could find one?!?!

--------------------

Re: Amanda new
      #118515 - 11/03/04 11:25 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Awwwwwwwwww you are so cute. Flattery will get you everywhere.
I would never insult you by offering one of the evil witches I go to law school with, but if I meet someone else, she's all yours!
She's out there, don't worry -- a nice guy like you can't stay single forever!
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

Re: Amanda new
      #118520 - 11/03/04 11:28 AM
TommyNY

Thanks Panda. I always blush when I get a compliment. This city is crazy sometimes!

--------------------

For the people in NY new
      #118521 - 11/03/04 11:30 AM

Unregistered

There is so much talk now about Rudy Giuliani perhaps running for the next election and I was just curious what you all thought about that. I really think that he would be a great next candidate - especially since he seems to hold popularity across party lines. I even heard this morning that there's talk of Cheney stepping down as VP at some point during this term and then Bush would appoint Giuliani (with approval of course). And then Guiliani might run the next election with Condaleeza Rice. I think that would be a fine match. I too was surprised to see that New York voted so overwhelmingly for Kerry.

Re: panda.. cara.. stephs... new
      #118523 - 11/03/04 11:32 AM
TommyNY

Ashley, you're a better person than me. I live in liberal NYC but I never let someone try and force their views on me. I can argue civilly and most of the time I won't say anything unless they are talking directly to me.

--------------------

Re: For the people in NY new
      #118526 - 11/03/04 11:37 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

I am a huge fan of Guiliani. It's amazing what he did in NYC, even way before 9/11. Times Square is a very different place than it was before he was mayor.
Your message is the first I've heard of Bush replacing Cheney with Guliani. I do like Cheney so I don't know how I'd feel about that, but I'd like to see what Guliani supports for foreign policy. I'm starting to wonder if ANY American President has what it takes to create peace between Israel and Palestine, since no other country or multi-national organization has accomplished anything.
That being said, if Guliani ran I would definitely support him. However, I don't think he'd take Rice as a running mate. Sad as it may be, I doubt a black woman has much of a chance. We haven't had a black VP or a woman VP (though we have had a woman VP candidate, Geraldine Ferraro, in the 80's), so the odds that a black woman would become VP before a black man, or before a white woman, are very slim. I do love Rice though. I'd love to see a race betweeen Guliani and Hilary Clinton, and, in such a situation, I think having Rice as a running mate might make some sense, since the woman thing would be less of an issue.
OK my 2cents are adding up fast on this board today. Sorry folks.
--Panda

--------------------
Amanda

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5055 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 55625

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review