All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)
Re: panda.. cara.. stephs...spicey new
      #118568 - 11/03/04 12:25 PM
lovejoy_22

Reged: 02/21/03
Loc: Henderson, NC

I am right there with you. I was watching the returns on Fox News last night listening to the reporters talk about how the Young 18-30 vote was going to give the Presidency to Kerry, thinking to myself "Not all of us."

--------------------
lovejoy_22

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

election lurker & Michael Moore new
      #118589 - 11/03/04 12:55 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Guys, please keep going I am loving listening to your debates, its like a social study for me!
The media run away with themselves so much and I find Michael Moore to be entertaining (I enjoyed Bowling for Columbine) but I really think he went too far with Fahrenheit 9/11; it was lazy and took advantage of the emotions of that poor lady whose son was killed. Interesting about Disney dropping it though...
I have always been fascinated with US politics (ours isn't so interesting here)

Sinead
Sinead

--------------------
S.

Casey new
      #118590 - 11/03/04 12:59 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I came online cos I couldn't bear to watch his victory speech! Simon's watching that as he's pro-Bush!

As someone who studied meteorology and climate for years, anyone who could just say stuff the environment like Bush did won't get my support (i was gonna say vote and then I thought...well, duh, Linz, they don't anyway! ). America is one of the countries that are going to be totally f**ked by global warming and Bush probably sped it up.

I was also against going to war in Iraq on the grounds we did. I think toppling Saddam Hussein was right. Misleading the country as a Bush-led Tony Blair did was so wrong in my book. ANd if he didn't know what he was saying was total b**locks, then I have even less respect for his government. I don't see anyone trying to topple dictators who commit horrific abuses when they don't affect the US.

Anyway, I'm not going to think about this now as I'm too darn stressed anyway. Politics makes me MAD!

Re: election lurker & Michael Moore new
      #118595 - 11/03/04 01:12 PM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I agree Sinead. I was very disappointed in F9/11. He had such a great opportunity to get information out and he basically tried to play on people's emotions. I was bummed that it was not a better film.

--------------------
~jules

Re: I served as a poll watcher yesterday, and after what I saw new
      #118597 - 11/03/04 01:13 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04

well worded and accurate.. but I can tell you why Jews tend to vote Democrat other then the above- many fall in categories you already mentioned.. but even if not:

Jews have often been oppressed by the majority, which traditionally has been the more right wing part of society... they also tend to be more liberal in views due to being more open to others, again in part because of their own oppression.. We as a people want rights that many times over history have been refused us.. even here in the US originally it was white male LANDOWNERS who got to vote, and Jews weren't allowed to own land. There are other things as well.. and of course there is the oppression of the crusades and WW2, and more recently all the issues with Israel- its the ONLY place JEWS can safely be guaranteed rights no matter what- even the US refused to grant jews who were trying to escape europe and the camps admittance during WW2- and people try to give it to the arabs, who have other states.. personally I think there should be a peaceful resolution, but I dont' see it coming anytime soon.

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

9/11 new
      #118600 - 11/03/04 01:17 PM
khyricat

I think we all have personal tales. I'm from NY.. and my father was in the trade centers earlier that day.. and 2 cousins worked in them at the time it fell.. and 2 close friends from high school didn't survive... the saddest part of that was that Chris didn't see more of his youngest- she was born 2 days earlier and since his in laws were in town he went back to work that day figuring he'd take time off when they left to help around the house. He never came home. For a few hours we thought we had lost my father and some other people as well.

There are so many tales to tell, but part of me can't help but think that Bush' madness isn't the solution either.. he seems to be blatantly singular focused and many people I know in the military, including the retired 3 star general father of a close friend agree that he isn't the best thing.. oddly many voted for Kerry!

Amie

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

your comments here- both of you... new
      #118606 - 11/03/04 01:33 PM
khyricat

remind me of my sister's a few years ago and of some of her friends more currently.. and Tommy- I'll ask my sister if any of her friends might qualify but most of them are jewish and all teh ones I know tend to blow democrat... She did meet the right guy... at work! sorta- she is a teacher and had taken a second job for some extra cash for awhile at the JCC working membership desk and he was a member... and he was persistant (she knew him for a year before she said yes because one of her friends had dated him and not liked him, but then when she got to know him she realized why they clashed... and why he's perfect for her... ) The right woman will come along Tommy.. I'd introduce you to a friend of mine if she was going to be in NY again but right now she's in MI- her views are more like yours!

Amie

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Sunshyne... new
      #118607 - 11/03/04 01:36 PM
khyricat

as a jewish woman who believes in a womans right to choose though I wouldn't make that choice.. and that jobs come from hard work, education, but that CC isn't the answer... I agree wholeheartedly.. and I'm one who lost a job and did evnetually find one during this administration.. at half the salary... and I can't find anythign that pays more to even consider applying for lately... and I know a ton of people still unemployed.. many of them with masters and doctorates!

Amie in MI at the moment.

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Re: heather.. new
      #118612 - 11/03/04 01:40 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

I really hope he was joking. I can't imagine any educator (particularly one with grad students) saying that for real. But who knows, people do appalling things all the time. In my class we pretended the election never happened (and when we had class at 8 this morning it wasn't like there was a result anyway).

I'm glad the election is over. I hate knowing what other people's politics are. I try to avoid the conversation because it does make me think of less of people, and I'd rather like them for other qualities they possess.

Linz new
      #118633 - 11/03/04 02:21 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

I agree - politics makes me furious, too! I get all flustered just listening to it ... I voted, I'm not happy with the result but my one consolation is that at least Bush is a known entity (oh, and I don't think the American people would tolerate any more crap than we've already gotten).

Whenever someone asks me about my views, I just say "Nun-ya!" as in none of your business!

Off to growl and fold laundry ...

--------------------
~*Amber*~

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 783 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 55253

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review