All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)
well.. my DH's comment wasnt' about the president.. new
      #118717 - 11/03/04 04:22 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

it was about the state (we're on the border) voting against a gay marriage bill that took away existing HETEROSEXUAL domestic partnership rights along with all rights to gays. He felt like people voting without reading the complete things and knowing the verbage or even caring they saw one sentence and that was it!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I noticed this Panda... new
      #118718 - 11/03/04 04:24 PM
khyricat

Heather- I feel the same way you do.. but I can see where people can see otherwise too- there are a lot of issues at stake.. I just hate seeing record turnout to discover people voted without knowign what they were voting for (I heard people admit this at work after hearing what the Bill they voted yes on will do!!!! I've been actively campaigning against it (even at work) for months!)

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

security.. new
      #118722 - 11/03/04 04:31 PM
khyricat

I agree- things aren't as much more secure as people think- with relatives in teh air marshals and in customs... I know this more then most.. if I can when I fly its El-Al- thats the only truly safe thing, but its still statistically safer then a car, despite everything.. I don't think whats been done really made a huge impact on our nations safety as much as on the IMPRESSION of safety people have... sad to say. One of Suzy's jobs is to sneak aboard aircraft with weapons.. sadly she's rarely caught and people do lose their jobs and get reprimanded, etc.. but the next person testing security gets through too.. she's proven it again and again... Ah well... what can we do???

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Re: Non US view re elections... new
      #118725 - 11/03/04 04:37 PM
stevensa

Reged: 09/12/04
Loc: Texas

I apologize for the tone of my post. The policies of the US clearly affect people all over the world. It was Tony Blair's speeches that had me supporting the war (in the beginning), he seemed so earnest and committed. I didn't trust Bush, but I figured that if the UK supported the war that there must be something to the sense of urgency. To see him stick to his message when there was so much political risk was refreshing.

Well said MindyJ new
      #118732 - 11/03/04 05:10 PM

Unregistered

I feel for those same reasons that we as a country are safer under Bush. I find it so funny about what's going on in Iraq that people are so opposed to it (and I have several friends that are marines and in other military units) but when the whole 9/11 commission thing was going on, people kept saying that if we had any sort of knowledge that led us to believe that our country was in danger of an attack, that we should have done something before they struck us. That seems odd to say that and then be so against Iraq - I am quite sure the government and intelligence groups know a lot more than they tell us and if they thought that Iraq was somehow a threat then what do you think Bush is doing--he's taking preemptive measures. That's just my take on it all. And as for other countries not supporting our efforts, I think a lot of that has to do with influence from "bigger" countries like France and Russia on others. It was quite interesting to learn too that when all that news in the past couple weeks about the reserves that were missing and thought to have been gone all along, may have been a big part of the reason that France and Russia were not willing to be part of the coalition since that ended up showing links with Iraq to both of those countries not too long ago. Well that's all I've got to say! And no matter who the president is and who you voted for, I definitely think that a certain level of respect is due to that office. Hope everyone is having a good night!

Re: Well, it's over... new
      #118734 - 11/03/04 05:20 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Maybe that line of reasoning works for you, but it doesn't work for me. Bush has never had my respect, does not have it now, and never WILL have it. I cannot respect a man who (1) has led us into a war on false pretenses, (2) has taken us from a budget surplus to a 5 trillion $ deficit, (3) has completely destroyed our economy, and (4) is taking away our civil liberties one at a time. As a pro-choice young woman who fully supports gay marriage (and all other equal rights for EVERYONE), I cannot respect his or his party's views on those issues. And I'm not even going to get into my issues with him from the first time around.

I don't worry about what sorts of impressions other countries are getting from anything I say... GWB does a fine job of giving his own impression, and all of my foreign friends are genuinely saddened and horrified right now.

Do I think Kerry is just altogether fabulous? Actually, no. But I still felt he was the better choice by the time I voted, and I will continue to feel that way.

And that's it. I'm done being mouthy about the whole thing, and I'm going to go back to my nice quiet helpful self, because getting all ruffly over politics with people I like is seriously just not "me".

Re: Election Day has come and gone.... new
      #118735 - 11/03/04 05:21 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Oh my gosh! Did anyone watch the Saturday Night Live special on Monday night making fun of the two candidates????
It was hilarious! The guy doing Bush had him down to a tee!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: I was, and still am, VERY unhappy... new
      #118745 - 11/03/04 05:47 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I've said it once and said twice.....politics and religion....cause such controversy! I've read some of the posts and can't read all but I agree that I am proud to live in a country that has freedom of speech and choice. The president has been picked , it's done, it's over with and it is what it is. We can only hope for the best to come out of this.
My theory is kinda like when at my son's baseball games all the parents have their two cents in about how the coach did this wrong and didn't put this kid in and complain, complain, complain. If they wanna be coach next year, then they should sign their little butts up. That way they can see how it feels to be coach and make decisions wether they are right or wrong. If anyone thinks they can run the country better than by all means in 4 years run for president!

P.S. Not saying who I voted for, for fear some people on the board won't speak to me anymore and I'd miss ya! ha ha

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: Well, it's over... new
      #118747 - 11/03/04 05:55 PM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

Quote:

Despite all of your views, America has spoken. And Bush got more votes than any President ever elected to the office. I think he deserves more respect than some people are giving him. I respect Kerry, and I would not have been growling and upset if he had won. I would not go tell people I'm running off to Canada. What kind of a message does it send out to other countries when people bad mouth the President? It was a majority vote, and he won. Now we just have to learn how to respect him, no matter what our opinions are. Could you run the country through these tragic years?
So for all of you saying you're going to run off to Canada, don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

Love it Cara!!! You said that so well!!! WE all need to learn to live with it....we all have another 4 yrs....lets try and make the best of it!!!

--------------------

I'd reply, but I'm not allowed to talk to you :) -nt- new
      #118748 - 11/03/04 05:56 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

--------------------
~Cara~

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1393 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 55252

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review