All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Not making babies
      #117889 - 11/01/04 07:48 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Man that fertility thread is long! Is there anyone here, just out of curiosity, that doesn't want children? I am going to write a book about it someday called "Babies Are Sticky" It will be a comedy about a young woman who does not want babies and the stuff she puts up with. No offense meant to those who do want to propagate the species of course!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Not making babies new
      #117891 - 11/01/04 07:50 PM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

There's a few I'm sure But there's a lot who do!!!!

Good luck with your book!

--------------------

#117893 - 11/01/04 07:56 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

If I'm not mistaken, I think LS is on your plan, unless there is another reason that she didn't have kids. Bevers has no kids but I think she couldn't. I plan to have kids at some point but not right now thank you very much!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#117900 - 11/01/04 08:27 PM
Little Minnie

Thanks but it is more of a joke than anything. It would just be filled with comments I have gotten about surely having kids someday and stories of people starting rumors and saying all sorts of stuff and funny descriptions of when people offer to have me hold their babies and the discomfort it gives me. I'm just goofing around anyway. Does anyone know how many years you have to be married before people stop telling me I AM going to have kids SOMEDAY? It has been 11 1/2 years already!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#117901 - 11/01/04 08:30 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

I want them, but NOT any time soon!! Watching my (young!) friends all have babies that they can't care for, have no money for and want to dump off on others when they feel like being kids themselves has kept my "motherly instinct" in check!

I wish they could magically appear from a stork though (of course, after all the baby-making exercises! )

Sounds like a great idea for a book~ I'll read!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

#117914 - 11/01/04 10:22 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I'm pretty sure that I don't want to have kids. All through my teenage years I always said I never wanted kids, but I sorta kept thinking that a maternal instinct would kick in, but nothing has

Plus, I have bad endometriosis so my doctor's have already told me that I will likely have a lot of trouble conceiving (found that out at 18) so I think I just kinda assumed from then on I wasn't going to have kids.

Kelly

Can the baby-making thread start up again so it's shorter? Please? new
      #117930 - 11/02/04 12:16 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I'd love to have kids, but I can't atm, so I try to avoid too much info on people trying for babies!

#117934 - 11/02/04 12:33 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm in the "maybe someday, but definitely NOT ANYTIME SOON" camp. I have definite maternal instinct, but I satisfy it just fine taking care of my boyfriend and cats. I was apparently born without a biological clock. I also can't look at a baby without thinking, "gods, what a lot of money and work!" I'm not ready for that at all.

Adam's the first guy I've ever been with who I've actually been able to picture myself having kids with, though - and yes, I've been married twice before, go figure - so I'm not ruling it out. I just know it's not happening anytime in the next 5 years or so.

Is there a way new
      #117944 - 11/02/04 05:25 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

to start a Pregnancy & Conception with IBS board!! Like the Vegas board!! That way we won't be taking up so much room in the living room???? Just a thought!! If not then yes we will start a new thread!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

I'm coming out anti-baby! new
      #117962 - 11/02/04 06:52 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Please keep in mind, I have a good sense of humor. That said, I am def never having kids.

I love it when people say, "Oooooh Nelly! You'll change your miiiiind!" They don't know how lame they sound.

Not only am I firmly in the non-breeder camp, I do not hold or touch babies either. I have a natural revulsion toward all things pupae or larval. And a healthy revulsion of the lion's share of my species.

If there is a non-breeder board, I would humbly and happily offer my services as moderator. We can talk about all the money we're saving, what nice vacations we've taken, the absence of extra guilt, hypocrisy or worry in our lives, and the good karma we've experienced of not passing on faulty genes.

~nelly~ half-kidding

Re: I'm coming out anti-baby! new
      #117963 - 11/02/04 07:04 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

Nelly- you're like DH... and since we CAN'T have children, thats fine.. I wish his sister would stop pushing babies in his face and trying to tell us we should get an infant.. if and when we adopt again (we may not) it WILL be an older child again.

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#117965 - 11/02/04 07:08 AM
Nelly

Slap sis with a wet diaper for me.

~nelly~

Just Kidding.

#117969 - 11/02/04 07:24 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04

we just see her a few times a year now... visits have been reduced on our side greatly.. its when she comes to us- we don't go there, and have only gone once since she had kids... we use other excuses, but she actually chased Bill out to our car at her moms once with ANdrew when he was a baby and I was ready to kill her.

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#117980 - 11/02/04 07:44 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I spent most of my "childhood" raising my two younger brothers, so I'm really not sure I want kids. Definitely no time in the foreseeable future, maybe just not at all. So count me in!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#117983 - 11/02/04 07:52 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

hahahaha yep the fertility thread is taking over (though I still keep up with it because I find it exciting!). I don't want babies for now, thats fore sure - but I do in the future, most of the time - they seem extremley challenging though!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

ROTFLMBO! new
      #117997 - 11/02/04 08:21 AM
Little Minnie

Pupaes!!! LOL! That is hilarious. I don't have an aversion to any other immature offspring just babies! I love all animals but not young humans. Ick. They are sticky too BTW.
Quote:

We can talk about all the money we're saving, what nice vacations we've taken, the absence of extra guilt, hypocrisy or worry in our lives, and the good karma we've experienced of not passing on faulty genes.

That is exactly what I think!!! You hit it on the head. I DO NOT want to pass on my problems or my husband's to offspring. We have talked about adopting a little girl maybe 5 years old and Chinese, someday. But we joke about how our baby if we had one would have all of our worst traits. My height and bowels, his skin and feet and irascibility.
I think a lot of people try to get you to have kids so you will suffer the same misery they are suffering. My husband's brother wants his kids to have cousins but really he just wants to see us in the same exhausted, poor and unhappy state he is in. The only thing I worry about is being 70 and finally regretting my decision. So I only have a few years to change my mind since I am 31 next month. But I really don't think it will happen. Anyway what a good and needed laugh-thank you Nelly!

--------------------

Do you guys worry though about being 40 new
      #118000 - 11/02/04 08:26 AM
Little Minnie

and then suddenly wanting one and having it be too late. I mean once you are passed 30 I guess it is time to make a clear and lasting decision. Do you know what I mean?

--------------------

#118004 - 11/02/04 08:31 AM
Sunshyne

Reged: 10/26/04
Loc: San Antonio

I *didn't* want children, got pg while on the depo shot... now I desperately want to make another one lolol... and can't ... go figure huh?

Re: ROTFLMBO! new
      #118016 - 11/02/04 08:49 AM
Nelly

Sticky!! LOL! You forgot dribbly, lying, snivley little disease machines!

At 70 we adopt a 35 year-old to take care of us in exchange for an inheritance!!

~nelly~ thought about it already

Re: Do you guys worry though about being 40 new
      #118018 - 11/02/04 08:50 AM
Nelly

That's like marrying for fear of being alone. Don't know about you, but I don't make major decisions out of fear.

~nelly~

#118054 - 11/02/04 10:39 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

i know I am little young to be thinking about this kind of thing, but I NEVER wanted to have a kid since I was little. VERY little. Never cared too much for other people's little ones, but I think I could grow to love my own if I had one. Actually, the older I get the more I warm up to them, so we will see. I have thought about adopting a child from another country if I do decide I want one.
I've never wanted to get married either, but I may someday. And trust me, if I do, it will be a Vegas Drice-thru Chapel wedding for sure!

Atleast I don't feel mean and cruel anymore for thinking that I was the only one that didn't like babies all httat much.

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: Is there a way new
      #118060 - 11/02/04 10:51 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Ypu girls are too funny!! As one who is trying to make a baby, I just HAD to read this read!! I never really knew if I wanted kids or not. I never grew up saying I want a ton of rug rats or anything like that. About a year ago, I guess you would say that maternal thing kicked in and now its almost an obsession. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the laugh, you guys are funny!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Is there a way new
      #118069 - 11/02/04 11:25 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03

I'll have to chime in on that one too. This thread is funny!
I just got pregnant again after a miscarriage on 9/25 and I definitely needed the laugh....

--------------------
~jules

#118073 - 11/02/04 11:32 AM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I don't really worry about that...according to my doctors I should be worrying about it now! Can you believe that? I had a doc tell me at 18 that if I wanted kids I had better "get on it" Lovely advice.

I figure that fear that you might change your mind isn't really a good idea, because then if you really didn't want a baby and you have one, everyone will be unhappy. Plus, there's always adoption.

Kelly

#118074 - 11/02/04 11:34 AM
Nelly

Don't feel mean or cruel! There are lots of people who share your opinion, but even those who don't recognize you're your own person with your own value judgements! We're all individual human beings, and as such are entitled to our own opinions!!

Now I'm going to go vote.

~nelly~ Ameeeerica, Ameeeeericaaaaa...!

I'm not making them either... new
      #118087 - 11/02/04 11:58 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I am "not making babies" too. If I did I would cope with it and definitely want kids in the future, just want to get over the travelling bug first. Am 28 now, give me four years or so and I will start procreating.

And Casey there is no way I would have guessed that you had been married twice, you look too young!

Nelly- you are SOOO funny!

Here's to everyone making their own baby choices!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

What about all the women who have kids in their forties! - nt new
      #118117 - 11/02/04 12:52 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

#118155 - 11/02/04 02:38 PM
Little Minnie

Well I do have neices and nephews.

--------------------

#118156 - 11/02/04 02:40 PM
Little Minnie

Yes I agree and adoption is wonderful. I was just curious.

--------------------

MY OBGYN delivers babies from women over 40 all the time. new
      #118165 - 11/02/04 03:32 PM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

If God blesses me with a pregnancy...so be it. I am 41 right now and would be thrilled to be pregnant.

NO BABIES FOR ME - (Hell no!) new
      #118170 - 11/02/04 03:55 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I do not want any kids. EVER! (I'm 30 now and don't plan on changing my mind...) Too much work, too much trouble, too expensive, too intrusive. They're cute but not cute enough for me to make such an enormous 20+ year sacrifice for.

We only get one shot at this life, I don't want to spend it changing dirty diapers and driving kids to hockey practice at 6am on weekends. And then they become teenagers....

Zero maternal instinct here! Just give me cats and dogs.

* And no offense to anyone that wants kids. *

#118175 - 11/02/04 04:00 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Hey, I'm 100% with you, Nelly!

#118217 - 11/02/04 04:43 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

Quote:

I think a lot of people try to get you to have kids so you will suffer the same misery they are suffering.

LoL!! That is SO true sometimes! My parents always said that to me: "I can't wait 'til you have kids of your own!" whenever I was being a sh*t ... Oh, and so they can spoil them and send them home as obnoxious brats, too!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

Stopped making babies.... new
      #118268 - 11/02/04 07:18 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

7 years ago. I told my husband I didn't want any more children past 30 and that is what happened. I have boys, whom I adore and I can only hope one of my boys produces a girl grandchild for me. But not until they are through College and married.

Not going to have any kids...thinking of "their" well-being. new
      #118284 - 11/02/04 08:13 PM
UrbanRain

Reged: 10/15/04
Loc: Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley), Calif.

I firmly believe that my depression has a fundamentally genetic cause. Therefore, I will not have any kids of my own.

-why put a child through that emotional/spiritual pain???

Besides, my cousins Madeline, Juss, Kianna, Sophia and Mason (who is presently floating around in a nice warm and wet place) are an abundant blessing in my life. It's amazing how the paternal side of a man can rise to the surface when he interacts with the new generation for the first time. I'll stop now, or I'll start gloating like a proud parent.

Kisses to all the wee ones out there, though.

And, brush your teeth after snacking on your Halloween candy!

--------------------
Life is transitory, love is not!

My husband and I are working on 10 years new
      #118286 - 11/02/04 08:34 PM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

and I know deep down in my mother's heart she thinks we are having kids. My sister gave her a grandson this summer but still there is that thread of hope. In the beginning I felt funny being around any of my relatives when I was interacting with my nephew, I could just see their wheels turning. My sister has been very helpful telling everyone to back off and that of course I am going to love my nephew, giving him hugs and kisses, but that doesn't mean I want one of my own. From my early teens I knew I didn't want any and I made that perfectly clear to my husband he is obviously in the same boat. No one ever took me seriously, even my doctors. So this time as I was interviewing a new gyno I took my husband along and we made it CLEAR that we do not want children. She was the first one to really listen and hear me! I think people(especially women) need to realize that it is okay to not want or have children. And for those that do more power to them. I think there are message boards and websites out there for those of us who do not want any kids.

--------------------
IBS-D

Let me expand on that-- new
      #118328 - 11/03/04 07:00 AM
Nelly

That goes for married people trying to set up singles too!! Misery loves company!!

~nelly~ Not looking so don't even ask

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1259 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2862

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review