All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Need advice on drinks!
      #113240 - 10/15/04 10:16 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

OK, ok, this post has come up MANY times, but since fresh blood is always around, I thought I would bring it up again.

What drinks does it seem like your tummy's can handle? I could handle lots at first, but now I am down to VOdka and those Schmirnoff Ice things, and they prolly won't last too much longer. Right now I when I am drinking at home I just pour vodka in random stuff, like RX Stress Arizona Iced Tea (can't order that somewhere!), the Schmirnoffs are for when I am out at a friends or somthing.
Does anyone know any names of and good (and simple) vodka drinks I can order when I go out next weekend? It is the big 2-1 next Saturday! maybe I'll just do shots.... yeah right LOL.
I guess this is what I get for partying too ytoung, I am finally old enough, but my body is aged like twenty years past what it should be, and I can't even go to a bar for a beer.

SO, I alread yhave suggestions from another thread started by Doe a couple months ago, I came up with so far:

Cosmos
Cape Cod (vodka and cranberry)
Vodka Gimlet (have to look up, I think it is lime and vodka)

Does anyone have an ok time with Triple SEct? been awhile since I had a drink with it, but I thought a kamikazee could be nice if Triple Sect is ok, maybe I will do a test at home first.
I used to be ok with rum, but I try to stay a way, the last time I drank Bacardi I went to sleep for the night and woke up still feeling really intoxicated.
I know, I am a bad girl, can't help it
I swear I am not an alchie (sp?) though.

Any input would be appreciated!

And Bev, don't think I can do Jack!

--------------------
-Sheri

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need advice on drinks! new
      #113284 - 10/15/04 03:27 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Hi Sheri,
I've been afraid to go back drinking yet. I know a lot of people have recommended vodka with cordial like lime or blackcurrant as being less hard on the tummy. I will be watching your progress intently!

--------------------
S.

#113291 - 10/15/04 04:05 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I wish I had the problem of figuring out what to drink. I guess it's a simple answer for me: NOTHING!

Good luck though!

#113292 - 10/15/04 04:17 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I'm a huge fan of vodka martinis, and I order them "dirty" -- which means olives and a little bit of salty olive juice splashed in there. Everybody either loves them or hates them. I love them. They are not carbonated, and I get a pretty good buzz going from just one or two. I don't know if you can handle gin -- most people can't -- but I'm also a huge fan of gin and grapefruit juice.
Again, you're really not supposed to drink but if you've been feeling really stable, you might be able to get away with it. Beer almost always gives me D the next day, even before I had IBS.

Basically, if you are going to drink, stay away from carbonation (that includes those smirnoff ice things), and don't drink too much. Also if extremely cold beverages are normally a problem for you, don't get frozen drinks. The Vodka in martinis is usually kept very cold, but there is no ice in the glass so that's a little better. PS it's hard to dance and not spill a martini!

Have a fun bday.
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#113293 - 10/15/04 04:27 PM
Bilbo

Reged: 07/27/04

Oh man, have to second this. Just about anything either gives me pain, D, or even C.

You can drink? new
      #113318 - 10/15/04 07:29 PM
puddytat55

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: New Jersey-dont laugh!

I'm jealous-you can actually DRINK! God, I only have to look at a Schmirnoff ice, the "lite" drink, and my gut starts screaming. If i want to get sick-all I have to do is drink & smoke...guaranteed IBS attack. I used to be able to drink, but not anymore...bout the most I can handle is a glass of wine once in the blue moon and ONLY during remission periods....ah those good old days of smoking cigarettes and drinkin' alcohol! You must have any iron stomach! How old are you anyway?

--------------------
Puddytat55-I tawt I taw a puddytat!

In France they think it's fine to have a glass of wine... new
      #114546 - 10/21/04 05:05 AM
UrbanRain

Reged: 10/15/04
Loc: Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley), Calif.

But, in England they drink tea!!!

Seriously, don't care for alcohol. -have no issues with it, personally. -just never really got into it. Did like "herb" when I was younger...but that's another story!

Anyway, with my psych meds I can't drink... And, a predisposition towards depressive episodes makes it unwise. However, I believe that anything in moderation is OK. Unless, medical advice indicates otherwise.

Lately, I cut down on coffee. I can tolerate a soda on occasion, but have given those up, too. -quite recently as a matter of fact.

To get to the point, I don't believe in imposing strict diets or labeling certain things as "forbidden fruit." If you can tolerate a drink now and then, more power to you!!!

-just thought I'd bend your ear a bit.

Take care & salud! Bob.

--------------------
Life is transitory, love is not!

#114867 - 10/22/04 07:51 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Why don't you get a Vampire in honor of Halloween? It's cranberry juice, vodka, and Chambord. Just make sure you don't have it on an empty tummy and if I don't talk to you, have a happy birthday!

#114872 - 10/22/04 07:59 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

oh that sounds good.. anything with chambord is yuummmmy

--------------------

I can't have ANY alcohol! new
      #114884 - 10/22/04 08:34 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Especially beer.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#114901 - 10/22/04 09:22 AM
*Melissa*

Quote:

oh that sounds good.. anything with chambord is yuummmmy

I know - I love Chambord!! Well, I used to anyway. I don't drink much these days. I don't really have problems with vodka, but it turns my face bright red and blotchy - ewww!! I usually stick with a glass (or two! ) of wine instead.

What is chambord? new
      #114920 - 10/22/04 10:26 AM
Sheri01

I am still an amatuer to this thing!

vampire, I like the sound of that, I love anything spooky, creepy or horror, especially this time of year!

--------------------
-Sheri

Awwww! -nt- new
      #114921 - 10/22/04 10:27 AM
Sheri01

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: In France they think it's fine to have a glass of wine... new
      #114924 - 10/22/04 10:32 AM
Sheri01

thanks for the input Bob,

I have been VERY stable on this diet, and I realize I will probably not be 100% stable if I drink alittle, but at this stage in my life, I am sure the occasional sacrificed Sunday morning of running from bathroom to bed will be ok.
I usually restabilize fairly quick nowadays when I mess up on the diet, too. I am not gonna say anymore about my usual habits, cause I don't want to jinx myself, cause I know that with IBS, things can change in an instant in regards to diet and triggers!
Good luck on kicking the coffee habit, I haven't been able to have the stuff in forever.

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: You can drink? new
      #114928 - 10/22/04 10:44 AM
Sheri01

It's my 21st B-day this weekend, puddytat (on Saturday)!
That is why I am so concerned with the whole drink thing, it is kind of a right of passage to go out on your 21st, if I was older I would just forget about it.
I mentioned in my reply to UrbanRain (if you read it) I mentioned that I have been really stable, because except for alcohol, I never (knowingly) cheat on the diet. I have had cases of sneaky ingredinets, not realizing olives were trigger, blah blah blah, but I stick to it pretty good. When I do get set off I have a good routine to stabilize.
Also ,some people just handle things different than others, I have heard some IBSers say they can tolerate small amounts of dairy, and/or lactaid milk, when one sip would send me into convulsions.
It would be nice to beleive that we all get one 'freebie' that we can get away with it!
I know that this will probably change as I get older, my list of things I shouldn't but can eat has shrunk considerably already. But, for now, I am gonna celebrate my big 2-1 with atleast a drink or two!

Thank you for the concern

--------------------
-Sheri

#114929 - 10/22/04 10:52 AM
Sheri01

Thanks Panda,

Hmm... vodka martini sounds like a good idea! Might try that one, but I am gonna try not to have too many different types of drinks, that is how you get really sick I would have to get it "clean" (is that what you would call a drink that is not 'dirty'? Or just regular?), my last attac kwas from having olives on my cheesless pizza, so they are not my friends (I don't take well to fat)

It is nice to have all of this advice from my "IBS sisters"... I asked my sister for advice, but everything she drinks I know that I couldn't ! White Russians, Rum and Coke... it seems like alot of the popular drinks and old standbys all have to have something bad in them!

--------------------
-Sheri

#114930 - 10/22/04 10:54 AM
Sheri01

Thanks, and that stinks, well, if you enjoy drinking anyways, I wish I was a strong enough person to ban it from my life all together (not to sound like an alcoholic, I just mean that I think if someone could do with out it , that is a good show of character)

--------------------
-Sheri

#114931 - 10/22/04 10:57 AM
Sheri01

Thanks, and I do think that the vodka is the best thing to stick to.

Atleast I cleared my slate for Sunday, so I am prepared that even if I am sick the next day, that oh well, your twenty first 'finally of legal drinking age' only comes once. If I need tostay in bed all of the next day, oh well, at least I had some fun... you only get to live this life once!
I will try to be back online on Sunday to let you all know how it went!

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: What is chambord? new
      #114958 - 10/22/04 12:40 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

rasberry flavored liquor.. its so yummy

--------------------

thanks ashley! -nt- new
      #114964 - 10/22/04 01:06 PM
Sheri01

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: yup, raspberry liquor... new
      #114968 - 10/22/04 01:17 PM
*Melissa*

you've probably seen the bottle before - www.chambordonline.com

when i plan on drinking, i schedule a free feel-like-crap day too. it's a sacrifice i'm willing to make, and luckily i can get stable again after that day. and, it hardly ever happens.

so, where are you going anyway? maybe i'll meet you and buy you your very first vampire! lol (just kidding... )

YUM! chambord... new
      #115021 - 10/22/04 03:22 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I can sip at a shot of chambord all evening.. or put it in tonic water... or mix it with OJ or pour over ice cream.. hrm- wonder if it would work with the frozen choicolate silk pudding I eat all the time... YUM!

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 283 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2408

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review