All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Anybody else have a problem with acne?
      #113097 - 10/14/04 07:22 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I never had a big problem with acne till I went off BC. Now my face is almost always broke out!! They painfull acne to. They last for weeks!! Anybody have any suggestions? I am using Mary Kay face wash. I have tried Clinque and Avon. Nothing seems to work!! It is all on my chin and forhead. Sorry to be gross but they are huge and deep. I was just wondering if ya'll had some tips!!
Thanks

--------------------
Heather7476

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Me too Heather! new
      #113103 - 10/14/04 07:43 PM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

Yep, I stopped BC in August and my face is having issues!!! I don't normaly breakout either. I was one of the lucky girls who almost never had a breakout. And if I did it was only one tiny one!!! The first time I really brokeout was 4 yrs ago when I was pregnant with my daughter (also a very hard pregnancy) I believe its all the hormones!

I sell Avon and use there acne astringent pads. They do help!! I try not to use make up such as foundation, powder of blush on my face. Those can aggrivate the breakout!

I think when the hormones get back to normal the breakouts will end.

Then again....who know in my case, I'm trying to get pregnant....so I might just have them for a while.

What BC pill where you using? I was on ortho-try-cyclen. I know that pill helps with acne....so maybe its a combo of hormones and the pill!

Good luck to you, and if I find anything that works wonders I'll let you know.

p.s. I've been tempted to try the Proactiv acne treatment....have you seen that stuff before???

--------------------

Re: Me too Heather! new
      #113106 - 10/14/04 08:54 PM
heather7476

Hey Steph
I have been off the pill for a year! I am also trying to get pregnant. At least I am not alone in the acne area. I never had a problem in high school but man do I feel like a teenager now with all this acne. I bought Proactiv I have had for a couple months and have not used it. I got the same time I relized I had IBS so it has just been sitting there. I am thinking it is time to give it a try. It has like five steps and I just haven't found the time to deal with all that. I may give it a go this weekend. I will let you kow how it goes!! I was taking trilevlin. I was on it from the age of 16 till 24 then went off to have Kenna. I had been back on it for two and half years then went off to get pregnant again! Now I am having trouble getting pregnant!
Thanks!! Good Luck !!

--------------------
Heather7476

#113164 - 10/15/04 06:18 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

Hey Heather...I SWEAR by ProActiv. It works. Give it a shot if you haven't.

--------------------
~jules

Re: Anybody else have a problem with acne? new
      #113171 - 10/15/04 06:40 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Hey H! I used to go to the dermotologist for my skin, but the scrubs were painful, and the peels made my skin even worse! I had the usual reactions to the antibiotics, and to make it worse my skin was so photosensitive as a result I got sun poisoning just driving my car to work!

Instead, I started going to get facials, and they really cleared up my skin and were much nicer than those nightly scrubs. Now I go about once a month and get pampered with a facial. They do extraction too, and the proceedure leaves my face looking great for weeks.

No doubt, hormones play a huge part! I changed my makeup to one that dries to a powder, so my face won't have that oily nasty stuff on it all day. It's been a complection saver! I use loreal mattique, which can be hard to find, but is worth it in my book.

~nelly~

Oohh .... my topic! :) new
      #113180 - 10/15/04 06:54 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

So I started a new job - I'm selling L'Bri skincare/makeup. I got a facial from them and couldn't believe it! So I signed up right away, I love that kind of stuff. Anyways, these products are unreal! My husband could tell the difference when I got home, and I felt awesome....
Mary Kay uses a lot of water and mineral oils in their products - that is suicide for the skin! L'Bri uses aloevera for the base of all it's products.
I could go on and on.....and I'm not trying to sell you anything, but look for products that don't list 'water' or 'mineral oil' as their first ingredient! If you want to check out some L'Bri products go to:
L'Bri

--------------------
~Cara~

#113185 - 10/15/04 07:09 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Yeah girls, I'm in the same boat! I have always had acne prone skin but had it under somewhat of control when I was on the ortho trycyclin and using differin cream from the dermatologist. As all of you know, I'm also trying to get pregnant and my face has been awful! I usually use all nutrogena products but I'm thinking about checking out the stuff Cara is selling now, I haven't had a chance to look at her web site yet but plan to check it out!

As far as the pregnancy thing goes, where is everyone at? Seems like most of us in this thread are trying! I got a positive opk (thats ovulation predictor kits for those not familair with the lingo) on Wednesday. Hubby and I have been bding (bed dancing, aka SEX! ) every night since Tuesday and will again tonight so I know my timing is great! I have decided if I don't get my BFP (big fat positive pregnancy test) this month, I'm calling the dr and asking for chlomed! So, basically, I'm in the dreaded 2WW!! (2 week wait to test) I'll have to start using the progesterone tomorrow, ick, but I'll do whatever it takes!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Oohh .... my topic! :) new
      #113186 - 10/15/04 07:11 AM
Nelly

I love oil free stuff! I can't do Mary Kay or Avon. My skin is sensitive to yhem and to perfumes. My nose can't take all those fragrances either. Aloe is great, but it expires quickly! I once had to get cortisone shots (!!!) because my skin turned purple from an expired aloe product. And the aloe gel I had used was only from the last summer!!!!! Now I'm safe rather than sorry, and I buy as I go.

~nelly~

L'Bri new
      #113194 - 10/15/04 07:28 AM
Cara4503

L'Bri is all oil-free and fragrance free. All natural - no aritifical colors either. There are about 300 different aloe plants in the world - only 4 of them are good for our skin! Aloe Barbadensis Miller is the kind used in our products. We sell bottles that are a 3 month supply - if you use them according to the instructions of course! They really are amazing, I will never use anything else! The aloe helps a ton with wrinkles, aging, acne, dryness, oily skin, sun spots, etc. I really love the stuff, I wouldn't have signed up so fast to sell it if I didn't! (I get a discount now on all the products - yay!)

--------------------
~Cara~

#113201 - 10/15/04 07:51 AM
heather7476

Hey Michele
It's great to know I am not the only one with adult acne UUUGGG!! I am 7 to 9 days from P. I am hoping this is the month or I will probbly be on Chlomed right along with ya!!
I will keep my fingers crossed for ya!!!!
Good Luck

--------------------
Heather7476

#113230 - 10/15/04 08:59 AM
Cara4503

There are so many people trying to get pregnant on this board! That would be great if it happened for us all at the same time! My doc won't let me on chlomid until December if the progestrone hasn't worked by then. So if you girls go on it, I want to hear all about it!

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: Cara new
      #113236 - 10/15/04 09:27 AM
michele

HI Cara, I have been a bit busy at work and haven't had a chance to look over your new skin stuff. I checked my nureogena and everything has water as the first ingredient but none of it had any mineral oil in it. Can you explain to me how an aloe based product is better? I'm willing to try about anything but I guess I've always thought aloe would clogged my pores?? As I said, I have very oily skin on my forheard but dry everywhere else. I have both white and black heads. Lets hear the scope on your new stuff!!!

--------------------

Michelle....I'm on the two week wait too. new
      #113239 - 10/15/04 10:11 AM
StephS

I figure I ovulated this week as well. This is my first month trying to get PG...so I will just have to wait and see what happens. I'm thinking it may take a few months, but I tend to get PG pretty fast. But now I have thyroid problems this time around. And that can effect pregnancy.I have had my levels tested and now I'm running a litte on the Hyper when I'm usually Hypo thyroid. Such a guessing game with the meds.

Anyhow, I'm hoping the two of us will get positive tests this month. I'm do to start my period on the 27th. If we did get PG we would have close due dates...with in days!

Anyhow, I'm really hoping you will get your positive test!!! Good luck!

--------------------

Re: Steph new
      #113243 - 10/15/04 10:26 AM
michele

I'd be do to start my period the 28th! Bot, wouldn't it be great if we both got that double line.

--------------------

Michele...tell me what you know about ovulating.... new
      #113246 - 10/15/04 10:37 AM
StephS

So do you have sex a few days before and then after as well? I've read a lot of stuff about ovulating on babycenter.com, but I was wondering if you have any useful info to add to what I know now!

Thanks! Oh, have you checked out the babycenter.com they have great info! I love that site!

--------------------

Re: Michelle....I'm on the two week wait too. new
      #113251 - 10/15/04 11:22 AM
heather7476

I am due to start on the 22 or the 24th we could all end up with close due dates!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: Michele...tell me what you know about ovulating.... new
      #113252 - 10/15/04 11:29 AM
michele

Ok! Most women just prior to ovulation will notice EWCM (egg white cervical mucus) this signals that ovualtion is near! The best time to concieve is to have sex just before ovulation as the sperm live a lot longer than our eggs, so its best to have sperm in there waiting when your egg "drops."

Personally, what I call EWCM is basically just a little extra slippery discaharge. I notice it most when I wipe, it seems very slippery. I usually notice this one to two days before I get a positive opk. A positive opk means you should ovulate in 12-36 hours.

I noticed this slippery stuff Monday night. I had a negative opk on Tuesday (had sex anyway because I new ovulation was near.) I tested again Wednesday and got my positive opk. Some women notice some cramping when they ovulate, I don't.

So, since my opk was positive Wednesday, that means I probably actually ovulated thursday or maybe today. I actually timmed sex very well this month. We know the sperm live longer in the EWCM so my sperm from Tuesday's sex would have insured sperm were in the necessary position even if I ovulated Wednesnight night. Having sex today is probably not going to help my chances any as its probably too late, but I want to be sure we have it all covered!!!

So yes, I try to have sex before, during and after ovulation but the sex 1-2 days prior to ovulation is most likely to result in conception! If your man has issues with low sperm counts than having sex everyday is not a good idea, than they say everyother day is best. I seemed to have gotten pregnant pretty easily the first two times but for some reason its taken a lot longer this time

--------------------

Re: how cool would that be! nt new
      #113253 - 10/15/04 11:30 AM
michele

--------------------

About aloe and these products! new
      #113263 - 10/15/04 12:49 PM
Cara4503

Michele - and anyone else who is interested!
I only have about 5 minutes so I will type what I can and if anyone has questions feel free to ask and I will get back to you asap!
First of all...Nelly was saying how aloe expires...that is not true with the aloe used in our products - most aloe based products use the ENTIRE aloe plant - the outer surface as well, in a mill...we ONLY use the gel inside the aloe plant - the healthiest thing for your skin ever! Aloe will definately NOT clog your skin. Aloe by nature is a healing and rejuvinating product - it's the best thing to put on your face! Not only does it heal blemishes, wrinkles, sun spots, etc...but it keeps your skin healthy, shiny, and firm!
Put a prune in water and in aloe - in water it shrivels and dries out...not absorbing any liquid...in aloe it acutally absorbs and looks better!

These are the ingredients to absolutely AVOID in skin products:
Mineral Oil, Waxes, Lanolin, Acetone, Borax, Alcohols, and FD&C.
I can explain why for any of those if anyone wants to know!

Ok I have to run - but you can read more at:
L'Bri

Check out the facial mask - it's incredible - it's like a face lift in 10 minutes!

~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

Aloe gel expiring new
      #113270 - 10/15/04 01:34 PM
Nelly

Um, I'm not sure which aloe gel I used. It was a clear bottle with green gel in it, and said it was for after sun care. I bought it in the states, and it was a major brand. But it did expire in a year. My doctor made me throw it away. I stored it in a dark medicine cubbord from one summer to the next. I put it on my foot, and the next day my foot was PURPLE. The doc made an in-house call cos my mother wouldn't let me outdoors with my foot like that. He asked what I put on it, and when we showed him, he said the natural aloe gel expires in a year. People with pale, sensitive skin should not use old products because they can cause skin eruptions and other bad reactions. I thought it would be ok, as I had just stepped out of the shower, toweled off, and put this "all natural" product on. But instead I had to have a series of cortisone shots in my thigh, and it took a week for the purple to clear up.

It's my 1st hand (foot) experience! You can believe it or not! But i avoid aloe and old product now. No need for me to learn the lesson 2ce!

~nelly~

Re: Aloe gel expiring new
      #113295 - 10/15/04 04:37 PM
Cara4503

I'm sorry you had that awful experience! I can't imagine my foot turning purple!!!! Was it painful?
I guess the lesson is - don't use expired aloe! Don't use expired anything, really
The green gel is not pure aloe either - it has coloring added and the entire plant is mixed into it.
I don't blame you for not trusting the stuff anymore!

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: About aloe and these products! new
      #113314 - 10/15/04 07:04 PM
puddytat55

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: New Jersey-dont laugh!

That was very interesting information about "water being the first ingredient in skin care products"! I'm very happy i didn't buy this Avon Anew product I almost bought. I have always used aloe for skin burns and sunburn & dry skin on my legs, but never thought of putting it on my face! An interesting idea...thanks for the tip-I will dousing my wrinkles with my Aloe Gel this evening!

--------------------
Puddytat55-I tawt I taw a puddytat!

PROACTIVE. no joke. it's a miracle worker.-nt- new
      #113328 - 10/15/04 09:40 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

--------------------

#113332 - 10/16/04 01:04 AM
genie

Reged: 05/28/04

Proactive is the best! I swear by that stuff!! Tea tree oil extract directly on the pimples works great. Warm compress on the face. Check out the Acne Perscription book by Pericone. I think that's the spelling. Good luck. I have compassion for you, i've been there many times. Also you can ask your dermatologist to inject a solution in the painful bigger ones and it will be gone in three days.

--------------------
Life responds when we risk.

Read this! new
      #113381 - 10/16/04 09:17 AM
Cara4503

Aloe

It'll explain more about the aloe in these products - careful which aloe products you put on your face - they have to be completely natural with NO artifical colors/fragrances. I won't ever use products with 'water' as the first ingredient again!

--------------------
~Cara~

ProActive or Mary Kay Velocity new
      #113388 - 10/16/04 10:56 AM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

Re: ProActive or Mary Kay Velocity new
      #113390 - 10/16/04 11:43 AM
Cara4503

I just want to say to be careful with those products. ProActive is ok for RIGHT NOW to take care of blemishes, but it's awful for your skin long-term. The main ingredient is water! It completely dries out your skin. Also - if you are allergic to fragrances, it does contain them. And it contains sorbital! It has aloe in it - but a VERY small amount, much more water.
Also - the lotion for ProActive contains cetearyl alcohol - this dissolves the body's own natural moisturizers and strips the skin of it's own protection! It leaves your skin vulnerble to infection. Alcohols in skin care products destroy the skin's pH balance and since they absorb water (moisture), speed up wrinkling.

Like I said, it's good for a 'quick-fix', but I would never use that stuff, let alone for long term fixing.

--------------------
~Cara~

Avon new
      #113437 - 10/16/04 05:50 PM
StephS

I sell Avon, And use the Anew Retroactive! I love the stuff. I know that's not why I'm having a breakout, because I've been using the stuff for a couple of years now.

I have tons of women who buy the Anew products. Especially the new Anew Clinical line and wrinkle corrector. These women love it. They buy it time and time again. I think everyone responds differently to products!

I do think I'll give the proactiv a try. Seems like it has work for a lot of you guys!

--------------------

All of you who do use Proactive....??? new
      #113438 - 10/16/04 05:52 PM
StephS

What system did you buy? I was looking at their website and I don't know what system to buy. Are you buying the 3 step system???

Thanks for you advice!

--------------------

#113474 - 10/16/04 06:47 PM
amo616

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

You might want to talk to your doctor about it. I have no suggestions other than treat your face as gently as possible and try something designed for sensitive skin. Maybe something from the health food store? Also, you might wash your sheets in a detergent for sensitive skin.

--------------------

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: Amo616 new
      #113477 - 10/16/04 06:52 PM
heather7476

I use a sentive skin detergent already!! I hate how senstive my skin is!! My poor DD got it from me! I am hoping that the Proactiv will help! My doctor said that we would deal with it after I get PG and have the baby!! She said one thing at a time!!!
Thanks

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: All of you who do use Proactive....??? new
      #113662 - 10/17/04 07:43 PM
StephS

Bump

--------------------

Stephanie....Yes, the three step system. If you are super oily get the kind with the mask. new
      #113706 - 10/18/04 06:03 AM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

Re: Stephanie....Yes, the three step system. If you are super oily get the kind with the mask. new
      #113713 - 10/18/04 07:01 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I have found that I don't need to use ProActiv everyday now. I use it every other morning.

I have the 3-step system.

I also use BareMinerals powder foundation and IT'S AWESOME!!!

--------------------
~jules

Thanks Ladies!!! I'm going to order it!!! new
      #113756 - 10/18/04 09:12 AM
StephS

One question for anyone who might know....I think I have started to brakeout on my neck. The wierd thing is it looks like bug bites...it started on one side of my neck Saturday and now I have it on the other side of my neck and jaw. There is two bigger ones and then a few little red bumps. I'm not sure what this is, because it doesn't look a lot like pimples. Does anyone know what could be causing this??

Thanks!

--------------------

A good "soap store." new
      #113966 - 10/19/04 12:33 AM
UrbanRain

Reged: 10/15/04
Loc: Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley), Calif.

If you like, check out "The Vermont Country Store" online. They have special "apothecary soaps" for several different "skin issues." I use the black glycerine and it helps... Do you drink a lot of coffee or smoke? I do and it's really hard on the complexion. Obviously, I gotta quit smoking, but I've cut down on the coffee and my skin is clearer... Bob.

--------------------
Life is transitory, love is not!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 458 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5360

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review