All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Does anyone here have pain predominant IBS?
      #112155 - 10/11/04 06:19 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Just wondering what you guys with pain do. Sometimes my attacks come on so fast, I'll double over in a staff meeting, or worse, in my car. I jsut had a double-over attack while visiting my mom. It's pretty hard for her to watch me go through that. How many people in this forum have pain predominant IBS?

~nelly~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does anyone here have pain predominant IBS? new
      #112163 - 10/11/04 06:28 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

Hi Nelly~

I don't have pain-predominant, but I'm wondering if my b/f does. I'm curious what others have to say as well. I tried doing a search, but couldn't find anything. My b/f pretty much just suffers through it at this point; we don't know what to do for him, and he's not ready yet to change his diet. So frustrating ...

--------------------
~*Amber*~

#112166 - 10/11/04 06:29 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

I do tonight! Go read my Oops! post on the diet board! I used to be just like you. Out of the blue within 10 minutes I'd go from fine to doubled over in pain. So I literally "feel your pain" sweetie! The good news is now it only happens to me about once every 6 months when I overdo it!

Feel better.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#112172 - 10/11/04 06:47 PM
Nelly

I am so thankful for your empathy, LS. I can't explain how isolated I am from the caring people around me who *don't* get it. Thanks for being here on this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really want to be where you are now!! Did you jump into the diet, or go slow? After an attack I get so ravenous I just can't eat properly. I also can't do soy, and can't seem to kick meat. But I am 1 month with no caffeine as of this weekend, and the next item on my list is HFCS.

I'm so hesitant to do the diet full-steam. If I invest money and time into the diet, and I cheat or it doesn't work, I will feel like a failure. I guess that's why I haven't gone for it.

But the biggest hurdle to my wellness is that I am so concerned with the outward appearence of wellness at my job and with relatives. I hate being stigma-ed by my illness. I don't want to be the girl with special food in the fridge. I've just gotta let go of that!!!!!

If I'm ever going to kick this pain, I have GOT to do this diet. *sigh*

~nelly~

I hear ya new
      #112174 - 10/11/04 06:50 PM
Nelly

Hey,

I get that not wanting to change thing. I'm trying to overcome it myself!! Listen, if I find the magic words you can tell him to make him change, I will be the first to tell you. But he's lucky to have you concerned about him, and I know he appreciates it!

~nelly~

#112178 - 10/11/04 07:24 PM
puddytat55

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: New Jersey-dont laugh!

I'm new to this site & am happy to know that others have the "double over and cry" type of pain that justs comes from no where & slaps me like a ton of bricks, anywhere, anytime....I mean I'm not happy we have this but I am happy knowing someone else KNOWS what I feel-normal people just dont understand & the people at work tolerate my "bathroomitis" but I know they get annoyed because I cannot participate in our "teamwork" environment office because I spend half the day in the bathroom-I even punch out at 5, at times, and stay late to make up for the work I missed. They tease me that they're going to move my desk to the bathroom! I have "C" IBS...stands for "CURSE!" Thanks for listening-I hope to learn lots more from everyone here

--------------------
Puddytat55-I tawt I taw a puddytat!

#112187 - 10/11/04 07:53 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Nelly Honey I am so sorry your going through this right now!! UUUGGG. I get pain like that I hate it. One time I was at my daughter's art class talking to the moms and out of no where I thought I was going to die!! This was before I knew I had IBS. I was so embrassed. I can totaly understand where you are comeing from!!!! It took me awhile to get the diet down but every day is easyier than the last. I gave up redmeat without a problem same thing with pop(I MISS POP THOUGH) but Dairy well that took awhile and I will admitt it has only been five days without cheese or sourcream!!! I know I will cheat again but I will be as strong as I can for as long as I can. I will have my cheat and then get back on the wagon!!! YOU CAN DO THIS NELLY!!!! I HAVE FAITH IN YOU!!!! Next time you have an attack like that with your mom just tell her it is an STD and see what kind of reaction you get then LOLOLO!!!! Just kidding don't do that. My mother would kill me twice if I ever did that.
Good Luck

--------------------
Heather7476

STD-- LOL!!! new
      #112253 - 10/12/04 07:00 AM
Nelly

Hey Heather! If you've already been 5 days without cheese or sour cream, well, my hat's off to you!! It's not even 10am and I've already cheated (slice of Entemann's cheese danish)! I like your attitude too. Maybe it's what I should do, acknowledge that I'm going to cheat eventually, but just DO MY BEST for as long as I can.

It really helps that I know that you're going through it too. THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT!!!!!

Maybe I should approach this as a 12-step program, a one day at a time type thing.

All my best!!

~nelly~

Re: STD-- LOL!!! new
      #112255 - 10/12/04 07:09 AM
heather7476

I would love some Cheese Danish Ok let me wipe the drool off my chin!!! I cheated last night. I caved to popcorn!! I am in a little pain today but not to bad!! Just do your best that's all any of us can do!!! I am always here to support you!!! Just like I know you will always be there for me!!! I hope your feeling better soon!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

#112256 - 10/12/04 07:11 AM
Nelly

Thanks for answering my post, Puddytat55!! It makes me feel better knowing I'm not alone with the suddenly keeling over syndrome! Sometimes it's like as if I've been suddenly shot in the stomach. It sure looks like that to my coworkers!

You're totally right. Normal people just don't understand. I don't think others have any idea about Real Pain!!! How do you handle it at work? I want to dodge the drama, but I must look possessed, sweat dripping, gritting my teeth into a grin, trying to politely squeek out an whispery excuse to dash out the door and "pool walk" triple time for the bathroom...!

For me, it's either starve, load up with imodium, or wait motionless for an attack. No help that the anxiety waiting for an attack makes it so much worse! Do you take meds, keep water nearby, or anything like that?

~nelly~

Thanks, Heather! new
      #112258 - 10/12/04 07:18 AM
Nelly

H, you're so great. Thanks for the support!! There's plenty of danish left, believe me, so I'll have some for you. Sick bf, leaving all that forbidden food for me to find in the kitchen on my day off!! He's going to come home to one sick nelly, that's for sure.

I had one double over attack y-day, so I loaded up on imodium (10 pills, don't do as i do--) and now my gut's totally blocked. The urge is too great to play it safe today, so I'm on a unhealthy binge.

I am going to make a step in the right direction and make ONE recipe from the book tonight. Why is change so hard for me?? As LauraSue sez: denial is my brain's shock absorber. Or something like that.

~nelly~

Re: Thanks, Heather! new
      #112263 - 10/12/04 07:27 AM
heather7476

Change is hard for me to!! I went kicking and screaming into this diet. I love my dairy so much it is almost pathic. You know I wish I could spell better I can read faster than anybody I know but can't spell worth a dang!!
Any way I hope you feel better soon!!! Try the Hawaiian Chicken Slow cooker Recipe from the recipe board. SO GOOD!!!!

and OMG TEN IMODIUM!!! Remmber you do want to go to the bathromm again some time this year .
Good Luck

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: Nelly!!!!!! new
      #112269 - 10/12/04 07:40 AM
heather7476

Have you tried ant anti anxitey meds!!! They may help you alot if Anxitey is bring on attacks!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

*embarrassed* new
      #112270 - 10/12/04 07:45 AM
Nelly

Yes, 10 imodium. At my worst I load up on Imodium, and then "go" every 10 days to 2 weeks. That way, I can time my attacks. Terrible, I know. I tried taking SFS to make me go every day, but it was too hit or miss when I would have an attack. Also with the SFS I never knew if when I passed wind if "something extra" would come out too. It was a really, really, embarrassing problem.

Staying constipated is not ideal, but it's heaven compared to my other extreme. Today's the 1st day of the 10 or so days before I have to go again. I'm trying not to cheat too badly on my reg diet, but it's so hard!!! Plus I'm home today and it's like the fridge is calling me. Hello?? Impulse control?? Could use some right now!!! This is the reason I keep the fridge empty, but bf went shopping this time, and I've just realized he's loaded up the freezer with of all things-- Ben & Jerry's...!

~nelly~

Re: *embarrassed* new
      #112271 - 10/12/04 07:49 AM
heather7476

BEN & JERRY'S!!!!! Does he not know that that is a crime and punishable by no sex every again!!!! LOL
BE STRONG!!!! Kick his butt when he gets home!! Just remmber Murder will get 25 to life and no man or ice cream is worth that!!!!LOL

--------------------
Heather7476

Tried 'em!! new
      #112272 - 10/12/04 07:55 AM
Nelly

Hey Dr. H. It's been done. Stoopid drugs.

I have taken xanax, but coming down from them is so hard. I get addicted very easily to that and valium, so i avoid them. The day I will stop taking them I get dt's for like 5 days, shakes, sweating and leg and back pains, plus I totally short cycle, crying and getting irate at the drop of a hat. Every time I take them I can look forward to these reactions when I stop.

My dentist prescribed me xanax for the day before and day of any appointment when he has to do drilling, but the anxiety of going off xanax afterwards is always in the back of my mind.

I can't take zoloft because I get suicidal and start cutting myself. I feel like I'm jumping out of my skin, and I go back to my self-injuring tendencies!! My doc tried upping the dose but I broke out in hives. I am a wreak with those meds, really.

~nelly~ Chocolate is easier and less expensive

Eeeeevil! new
      #112273 - 10/12/04 07:58 AM
Nelly

Yes, he must be eliminated. I have a dog now, so no worries getting rid of a body!

Disclaimer: Nelly is on a sugar high right now, and can't be held accountable for her silly outbursts!

~nelly~

Re:Pain, lots of pain new
      #112277 - 10/12/04 08:02 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Well, I'm mostly IBS C but take miralax everyday which sometimes causes the doubled over duck walk to the potty for the explosive D. That doubled over pain is bad enough for the short time it last but I get severe abdominal pain that lasts. I'm currently in a severe attack that is going on over 6 weeks now!!!! I have been on the diet almost 2 years, take the Acacia, drink tons of water, exercise, take peppermint cpasules and sleep with the heating pad. I eat gas-x like pez and have bought several pairs of stretchy fat pants because I can't stand the pressure of my regular clothes!

I have had IBS for almost 19 years and have had every probe, scope, scan and x-ray done. I have been into the dr's twice and spoke with her on the phone once in the last 6 weeks. I'm on donnatal and Zoloft regulary and take Vicodin and Xanax as needed.

I get these "attacks" usually at least a few times a year but they normally only last a couple of weeks at most. This has been the most severe attack to date. My dr believes its mostly stress related. As many of you already know, I've had 2 miscarriages this summer. I have been trying to get pregnant again and haven't had much luck. Now, I'm still in a lot of pain and will be ovulating in the next few days so I won't be able to use the heating pad (it kills the sperm) and have to be careful on what meds I take. I won't even mention the thought of having sex with my tummy hurting this much sounds about as much fun as a root canal! The problem is, I'm already 34, don't have any childern and don't want to wait any longer to get pregnant! My dr seems to think that a lot of my IBS pain will go away once I am pregnant, lets hope she is right! I just can't believe I can't break this pain cycle no matter what I do!

Ok, sorry, I didn't mean to whine so much. All this constant pain has just really gotten me depressed. Its just so hard to believe that you can be in this much pain and the dr's tell you there really isn't anything wrong!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re:Pain, lots of pain new
      #112283 - 10/12/04 08:15 AM
Nelly

I get the doctor thing, Michele. Totally. More good news from the doctor after yet another round of painful, invasive tests-- Good news. Nothing's wrong.

Then WHY am I in SUCH FREAKIN' PAIN all the time?!

Regular life stress is so hard to manage on a regular basis, I have really to applaud you for dealing with your 2 miscarriages!! No one should have to go through that, and in such a short space of time! I'm 33 and childless by choice, but my best friend went through 5 miscarriages in 5 years, after carrying one baby to term. She lost them all at about 3-4 months each. She has essentially been pregnant non-stop for 6 years. She is driven to have another child. It's her life's mission, she says. I can't imagine what kind of fortitude it takes to keep trying, but I applaud you for it. Go get 'em, sister. I'm a firm believer that if one can withstand IBS, one can do Anything. No one else has a clue!

Now I have heard that it's possible for one to be pregnant and have all the IBS symptoms gone for the duration of the pregnancy!!! I hope that's true for you, Michele!! I wish you all my best--

~nelly~

Re: Tried 'em!! new
      #112289 - 10/12/04 08:32 AM
heather7476

Dr H says STAY AWAY FAR AWAY FORM THOSE MEDS!!! Make some AD'S and pig out on those !!!! OK my DR days are over YIKES. Me as a doctor very scary thing

--------------------
Heather7476

Dr. Nelly sez-- new
      #112329 - 10/12/04 11:14 AM
Nelly

LOL! You know when they say "4 out of 5 doctors say..."? I'm betting I've seen docs less qualified than

Dr. Scholl
Dr. Julius Irving
Dr. Ruth Westheimer
Dr. Bones
Dr. Kevorkian
Doc Marten

I'd gladly see you, Dr. H any day!!! Do you take Care First Capital Care?

~Dr. nelly~

#112346 - 10/12/04 11:58 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I go through phases with it. As a kid the pian was so bad I would throw up.....even a couple of eyars ago I literally crawled on the floor with pain.

What did I do for it? Mom thpught I was either trying to get out of school or being bulemic (I was NECER bulemic just anoreixc). anyhow.. I HATE throwing up and I woulf not do it on purpose if you paid me. Thoise days I just had to ride it out. It was AWFUL!!! 2 years ago I did yoga and it got me threough.

Whata re you doing IBS diet/exercise, etc. to help you? Do you evet take anything for the pain?

Hopw you are pain fee soon!

*hugs*

rUChie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Does anyone here have pain predominant IBS? ME ! new
      #112354 - 10/12/04 12:11 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Nelly,
I am pain predominant too..coupled with what my GI doc calls "urgency". Am IBS-A. THe double over attacks are scary but I haven't had a really bad one in about six weeks. I was very bad one weekend in my parents place but they were OK. I have had the meeting problem too and just excused myself and went to the bathroom and sat double over trying to do some gentle stretches. I have tried going to bed with the pain when it is really bad, lying in foetal position and clinging to a hot water bottle for dear life!

Best of luck with it,

Sinead

--------------------
S.

#112357 - 10/12/04 12:13 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

LOL!! Heather, you are priceless!!! An STD!! ROTFLMBO!!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#113308 - 10/15/04 06:44 PM
puddytat55

Hi Nelly-I'm so sorry it took me so long to answer your post about what I do when I have the "double over pain" at work. I have been too busy at night to even log on here...when I'm at work, I just run to the bathroom-I drop what I'm doing, I get off the phone if I'm on it with a customer, I just get up and walk out if I'm in a meeting...& everyone at work knows why! I let everyone know what's happening with me, that way I am excused from being rude or whatever they may think about my sudden departure. When I am in "IBS" mode I take Xanax medicine-twice a day- for anxiety because these attack days make me very upset and anxious. They seem to help keep me a bit calmer than if I didnt take them.I dont take them during my remission periods....ya know it's actually rather funny to think of what I look like when I come out of the bathroom at work...my face is beet red from grimacing, my legs are beet red from me bending over, my hair's a mess and I look like I've been crying (and sometimes I have)for days! Thank god my co-workers are somewhat sympathetic, but I am a hazard to them because I am in the bathroom 15 times in 3 or 4 hours and I just cant answer the phone or talk to my customers-they dont say it, but I'm sure they have some silent anger. I mean, how long can they tolerate this endless scenario? After 3 hours of pain, I take 1/2 tylenol with codeine and it shuts down my digestive track & i can continue work without bathroomitis...sometimes its the only way i get through the day-I had to beg my doctor for them. Most docs dont like to give out narcotic pain killers to digestive tract disorder patients because they have the potential to abuse them and develope a resistance to them & because they do shut down the intestines and ultimately that is not a good thing. Therefore I save that measure for desperate times...(like when I'm going into New York City to see a show! Cant be running down the theater aisle every 2 minutes!) Maybe you can talk to your doctor about some meds to help you out, too. But I sympathize with you immensley-I didnt know other people get that kind of pain,too-I dont know anyone personally-I thought I was all alone in this great suffering. Please communicate more with me with any suggestions on how you handle your bad days "out there in the ordinary day". Thank you all for having me here on this site-I wont be able to log on daily-but I will be here when I can. Anybody live in New Jersey?

--------------------

Hey Puddytat55! new
      #113359 - 10/16/04 07:35 AM
Nelly

I take tylenol with codiene too! Thank you for your post-- it's so good to hear you've shared my experiences! (getting empathy=AWESOME feeling for me! NEVER had it till these boards!) I had a prob getting codiene from my doc too, as I am a white female, young, urban professional, just the group likely to abuse Rx drugs.

It was such a relief finding a doc who had faith and believed in me!! I take it as a prevantative too, when I'll be locked in the boardroom all day, or giving out performance reviews or something equally time-consuming and stressful. I don't want to rock the boat with this doc, as he's the only one who's treated me like I always thought I should be treated, as a PATIENT, not a potential drug abuser!!

I live in MD, just a hop skip and a jump on the map from you! My hat's off to you-- I can't imagine the stress with dealing with customers/strangers constantly with IBS!

~nelly~

#113404 - 10/16/04 01:15 PM
LeeW

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Lancaster Co., Pa.

Yes! you aren't alone! I have to say that I have been pretty lucky, though. I have had 3-4 attacks that were the doubling over type- one sent me to the ER. Otherwise, I get what I call "a low level" a pain if I eat the wrong things, and then I am scared out of my wits that a full-blown attack is coming. The worst part is, that the full-blown attacks take about 6 hours to resolve, almost everytime. SO, when it starts, I just lay in bed and watch the clock. How long do yours last?

Hope you are feeling well.

Hey LeeW! new
      #113414 - 10/16/04 03:07 PM
Nelly

Thanks for replying! My double-over attacks can last all night, but if I take some Imodium and codiene to stop them they taper off at about the 1 hour mark. I drink lots of water, to help evenything move through me faster. H2O doesn't help the pain, but it does lessen the duration of an attack. Try taking some codiene. It'll help a lot, I'll wager. *disclaimer-- i'm not a vet , so see your doc!*

On the other hand, I have been stranded without meds and suffered for hours and hours. You know, it's funny, but watching the clock actually helps me remember that it won't be forever. At 5am I might actually feel well. Or at 5:14. Or maybe 5:22. OK, pleeease at 5:41??

I did use to have night attacks constantly, until I stopped sleeping with pajamas. That little elastic around my belly, even from just my undies, was causing my attacks at night. Weird, huh? Now it's rare I have one. They usually come first thing in the morning, or right after lunch for me.

~nelly~

Tylenol w/codeine-hey Nellie! new
      #113518 - 10/17/04 07:21 AM
puddytat55

thank god for drugs..I knew they made them for something!
I too take them as "preventative measures" but, only when I know I am going to be out there in the public without access to the bathroom-'specially because when I have to go-I have togo-right here, right now, get me to the bathroom! Like, I just came back from my first 8 days vacation in years-San Francisco-the ONLY way I was able to go was because of the T/C...took it every morning after I took suppositories to force myself to go to the bathroom-couldnt have done it any other way! Yep-Maryland is not too far away-maybe we can catch up to each other one day! Have a great day everyone..LZ

--------------------

Hey Slickgirl-Does anyone here have pain predominant IBS? new
      #113523 - 10/17/04 07:32 AM
puddytat55

Pain predominent pain really stinks...it is so unbearable & it ruins the day...maybe b/f will start to alter his diet after he's had enough suffering...has he tried any Rx meds like antispasmotics...sometimes they help...send him my empathy-I know exactly what he goes through...once I had an attack that lasted an entire year and a hlaf...EVERY time I went to the bathroom I had an attack day-the worst pain & suffering I had ever had up to that point-thats when I wound up in the hospital 2 different times because of it....this is a curse & I hate it.

--------------------

To michelle & others w/C new
      #113525 - 10/17/04 07:52 AM
puddytat55

I read your post about your pain....I certainly identify-I, too, take Miralax daily becasue of IBS/C but it doenst make me D....I like Miralax better thana Zelnorm bvecause its the Zelnorm that gives me D...opposites...funny how some stuff works one way for someone and another way for someone else! Xanax helps me through stressful days at work, no antispasmotics work for me at all & Tylenol/codeine gets me through extreme pain days and preventative measures-my longest attack was 1 1/2 years-it was absolute hell-everytime i went to the bathroom-i had attack day...I found another doctor then that prescribed the Miralax and now, at least, I can GO the the bathroom....w/C-I had to fight like hell to get a bm out of me during the first hour-I am so happy that I found others like me here on this site-I didnt know anyone else who suffered like me\now I found dozens!

--------------------

Re: Hey Slickgirl-Does anyone here have pain predominant IBS? new
      #113558 - 10/17/04 11:27 AM
SLiCKsGiRL

Jeez, a year and a half?? I don't know how you could manage that ... You must be SO brave!!

The prob with b/f is that we don't have a real diagnosis. The GI gave him aciphex, which isn't doing anything, and told him to come back in 6mos or something ... So I'm going to keep bugging him to make another appt, either with regular doc or GI and get some tests done. We'll also have to ask about antispasmotics ... Thanks for your input!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

Re: Tylenol w/codeine-hey Nellie! new
      #113577 - 10/17/04 01:03 PM
Nelly

San Fransisco is a great place-- one of my faves! The weather, the people, all so nice! I'm glad you didn't have to miss out on your vacation because of IBS. I'll need to take a vacation soon. I'm trying to find something close to home so I won't be messed up by all the travel!

I commute on the subway to work, and not having a seat, being jogged by the movement of the train, and jostling against the other commuters would have triggered dreaded morning attacks daily! No doubt! T/C (I like your abbreviation!) has been a lifesaver for me. I could have never done some of the things I do now without it!

All my best!

~nelly~

Hi Nellie-Tylenol w/codeine new
      #113631 - 10/17/04 05:41 PM
puddytat55

I loved SF...the food was a knock out!...wow-you take T/C every day & don't build a resistance to it? That's great for you! And motion triggers an IBS attack? Wow-that never happened to me, but I do get motion sickness on occasion...this past Spring, me & bf took a drive in his corvette to see the cherry tree blossoms in Newark park and I thought I was going to throw up in the car...bf would have been pissed-that car is his baby! And when we went to Washington DC on the Amtrak train, Same thing there...I felt like I was a kid cuz that usedto happen to me when I was young-God, everything comes back doesn't it? I am happy that motion doesnt trigger IBS though-I feel badly for you, one has to travel every day to work & cant be avoided. Luck to you and keep in touch.

--------------------

To slickgirl re;bf new
      #113633 - 10/17/04 05:47 PM
puddytat55

Keep on top of bf...oops....I mean re; IBS...how bizarre that both of you have digestive track disorders-bet you have lots to talk about...My son's gf was just diagnosed w/IBS C (thats mine too) and now all three of us have some really crappy conversation-we lol when we realize we're actually having a major conversation about poopin'! Keep up with bf...wish you both well-LZ

--------------------

Re: To slickgirl re;bf new
      #113645 - 10/17/04 06:57 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

LOL! I will keep on him about it You're right, it is strange that both of us have probs. Last time we visited my mom for a week, she complained that we were "moaning in stereo" 'cause she had to listen to both of us whining about our tummies, instead of just me

But I'm totally comfy talking to him about it, and that's SO important to me now!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

Re: Hi Nellie-Tylenol w/codeine new
      #113666 - 10/17/04 08:09 PM
Nelly

I'm *supposed* to take T/C every day for pain management due to eating (of all things), but I save it for when I really need it, which is as a preventative or to stop an attack. I agree, it's easy for it to lose its efficacy with routine use. I also make sure to get a liver test 2ce a year to make sure I'm not doing long-term damage, from the acetaminophen.

The jostling motions of sudden starting and stopping does trigger my IBS. I guess it's on a hair trigger. Worse still is if the car is overheated. Metro isn't exactly the optimal place for me in the mornings.

~nelly~

Re: The pain is finally subsiding!! new
      #113719 - 10/18/04 07:33 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

After over 6 weeks, I'm finally starting to get some relief!!! I did have some rather painful D sunday and today but so did my hubby. I think we may have eaten something bad. Despite that, I only took 1/2 Vicodin all weekend long and I'm finally starting to feel better! I wouldn't say I feel great or anything but I'm not in the serious pain I was.

I did start working out again and I think that helped a lot. I also increased my zoloft from 50 to 75mg. I'm still taking a few donnatal and tummy feels sore but I think I almost have this cycle broken!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: That is wonderfull news Michele!!!! N?T new
      #113721 - 10/18/04 07:34 AM
heather7476

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: Hey LeeW! new
      #113757 - 10/18/04 09:13 AM
LeeW

Hi Nelly! I have taken tylenol#3 and vicodin for pain. The first time I had doubling over pain, I had D, then waves of pain. I was home alone with my little boy. I couldn't even think straight. My mother-in-law finally came to watch him while I drove myself to the hospital. At that point, the pain had actually subsided some, or I wouldn't have been able to drive. I felt like I was in labor, for crying out loud! Since then, the 2 attacks I've had have lasted 6 hours each, almost to the dot...weird, huh? I had another one that started out the same way, but only lasted about 1 hour- much to my surprise. I was lucky on that one. I am so wiped out afterwards, though. I don't think my husband really understands, but he does his best. The attack I had down at the shore scared my mom to death. I think if I hadn't of had access to vicodin, I would have had to go to the hospital. The anxiety is the worst part.

That being said, I think I am luckier than most...now that I am finally in "remission" I feel good. I am still very careful, but have "low levels" of pain only 2-3 times a week. These episodes only usually last for about 20 minutes- after I have eaten something I shouldn't have. Then I stay away from that food item!

I hope all of you out there are feeling good today!

Contraction pain!! new
      #113768 - 10/18/04 10:07 AM
Nelly

Hey LeeW! 6 hours? Man, that's rough! That's what my night attacks are like!

I hear what you're saying about contractions! It's just the same for me-- I get the pain in waves, and the urge to push. But I only push when the cramps are right on top of each other, otherwise I'm there all night exhausting myself. i feel like I've been in labor 10000 times already!! I've never had a kid (childless by choice) but I imagine I've been through it every time my stomach goes out like that.

Thanks for going there!! I'm always hesitant to compare it to childbirth cos all the healthy mothers out there who don't know the joys of IBS are quick to contradict!! No I don't know childbirth, but Yes, I do know pain, and relief afterwards when it's over!

~nelly~

Re: Hi Nellie-its puddytat-Tylenol w/codeine new
      #113881 - 10/18/04 04:21 PM
puddytat55

great tip-getting a liver analysis because of the meds-I never thought about that-nor did doc suggest it-thank you!

--------------------

Hello puddytat! new
      #113891 - 10/18/04 04:40 PM
Nelly

Yep, it's important to get that liver test every now and again. Acetaminophen (paracetamol) is rough on the liver. Doesn't seem fair, cos it's ok on the stomach!

I've just now read that darvon is given for IBS sufferers. It makes me a little loopy, though. Ever had any other painkiller experiences with your IBS? Anything else that works?

~nelly~

Re: Hello puddytat! new
      #113893 - 10/18/04 04:47 PM
puddytat55

hey Nelly...isnt it great all the stuff we learn from each other?...I was a bad bad teenager (many years ago)in high school & my friend and I experimented with her fathers painkiller for his back...needless to say it was strong and it was Darvon-foundout after I hit the floor trying to walk in the hallway & the nurse found me and mom kept to get me and dragged me to the doc to find out what i took! Needless to say, I havent taken it since!... lol....but yes, I have tried Percocet for pain...discovered it when dentist prescribed it for a screaming toothache...only need 1/2 of one and I HOURD them for severe emergencies!!! God I feel like a pharmacy! Keep in touch!

--------------------

Re: Hello puddytat!-tylenol and Liver Function Tests new
      #113899 - 10/18/04 05:09 PM
LeeW

You can take up to 4 grams, or 4000 mg a day of tylenol, that's limit usually prescribed in the hospital (I am an RN). We give 650 mg of tylenol every 4-6 hours as needed. However, I don't know for how many days in a row...

Never taken Darvon. Percocet makes me itch like crazy. We get Darvocet for people who are allergic to Percocet.

-Lee

Re: Contraction pain!! new
      #113901 - 10/18/04 05:14 PM
LeeW

Hi Nelly. Yeah- me too- when the pain is so bad I "push" back.. Otherwise, as it tapers off, it is like when labor first starts- waves and then relief. A co-worker of mine said her's is like that too- and she has kids! Coming from someone who has labored and has IBS- the pain of labor is worse, but still the same type of all-consuming, everything below my ribcage kind of pain.

BTW- no IBS while pregnant, go figure. It got really bad afterwards, probably due to the anesthesia from the c-section (it put's your gut to sleep). That was a year ago. I tried zelnorm, but had to stop because I was still nursing. Didn't really like it, I always felt pressure (like I had to have a BM).

Anyway, have a good week!

Lee

#113902 - 10/18/04 05:20 PM
Nelly

I have heard that about IBS disappearing during pregnancy! I had a friend whose lactose intolerance disappeared while she was pregnant, and she was thriiilled! I'm like <gritting my teeth>I'm soo happy for you.</gritting my teeth>

~nelly~

Itchy! new
      #113904 - 10/18/04 05:24 PM
Nelly

LOL! Percocet gives me the itchy-scratchies too. Ultram is the worst for that, though, for me.

I didn't know Darvocet can be subbed for percs for patients who can't tolerate them. I don't know enough about Darvon except for its pharmacology. I should probably post to see if anyone else has had experiences with them.

Thanks!

~nelly~

Re: Hello puddytat! new
      #113906 - 10/18/04 05:28 PM
Nelly

Oh, that is just too funny!! Bus-ted!! I did stuff like that too, even fell asleep in the library after school off of one valium...!! Ah, our pasts. Can't ever escape them, can we?!

Thanks for the flashback!!

~nelly~

#113922 - 10/18/04 06:57 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

Woah Yeah!

Three weeks ago I ended up in the emrgancy room because my doc. thoguht I had appendicitis (how ever you spell that). I had "the runs" all night and when that was over I still had waves of intense pain. It turned out that It was just a very major IBS attack. The pain lasted about eight hours and then began to taper off. If the pain gets realy bad I try to lay down with a pillow under my knees or curl up in a fetal position and cry. Thank G-d that doesn't happen too often.
I hope you feel better soon.
Chany

#113923 - 10/18/04 07:02 PM
Casper

Wow. That happened to me too! When I was pregnant with my youngest daughter my lactose intolerance went away as well. (Of course that was 6 years ago before my IBS realy began to act up) . It was kind of like a fun icecream and milk vacation.
Chany

Re: Thanks, Heather! new
      #113924 - 10/18/04 07:11 PM
Casper

Heather,
I only found this websight a couple of weeks ago. The change has been hard for me too. Chocolate chip cookies are my definate downfall. (Actually anything chocolate or cookie related will tempt me to cheat). This week I was really trying hard to be good and I has a relatively pain free week! But Woah I miss pizza!
By the way I can't spell to save my life so I feel your frustration.
Chany

#113931 - 10/18/04 07:24 PM
Casper

Dear Puddytat55,
I'm also new to this site. And I know what you mean about people not understanding. I always feel funny at social gatherings when people stare at my plate. I only put bite size pieces of anything because I'm afraid to eat in public lest it lead to an attack. I have IBS with constipation and I can go weeks without being able to "produce". The worst kind of attacks for me is when I have pain urgancy and just can't go.
Did you start this diet yet? I'm also very relieved to not be alone.
I hope you feel better soon.
Chany

Re: Itchy! new
      #113951 - 10/18/04 08:39 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Hi Nelly, you are not the only person who has hives with these medications. I cannot take narcotics, period. I had abdominal surgery a few months back, they sent me home with darvocet, I was fine for a few days, then that darned suspicious rash across my abdominal area, little red circles. they spread to my breasts, my underarms, the tops of my thighs, my neck, my back. By the time I finally gave in and called the doc, he said no more Narcotics, EVER! Thats quite frightening for someone who may be facing more surgery one day. Sooooo, yes, I am afraid of Darvocet. I even had a reaction to Benedryl. My mom and sister both have the same side effects. What in the world are we going to do when the need arises. I certainly dread it. Hope you are doing better. gayla

Oh No! new
      #113986 - 10/19/04 06:24 AM
Nelly

You even had a reaction to benedryl? Oh my gosh! And that's pretty scary, not being able to take narcotics! The itchiness is a normal side effect, it has to do with your skin becomming dehydrated due to the narcotic. The hives are not, though! I get hives from some ADs, but none from narcotics, at least not yet!! I haven't tried them all!!

~nelly~

To LeeW: Hello puddytat!-tylenol and Liver Function Tests new
      #114773 - 10/21/04 06:08 PM
puddytat55

Thank you LeeW for the RN information about Tylenol....If I take an average of 10-12 a month should I have liver tests? Thank you for your response, I like to learn all I can about medicine and health....

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 272 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17149

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review