All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Contraction pain!! new
      #113768 - 10/18/04 10:07 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Hey LeeW! 6 hours? Man, that's rough! That's what my night attacks are like!

I hear what you're saying about contractions! It's just the same for me-- I get the pain in waves, and the urge to push. But I only push when the cramps are right on top of each other, otherwise I'm there all night exhausting myself. i feel like I've been in labor 10000 times already!! I've never had a kid (childless by choice) but I imagine I've been through it every time my stomach goes out like that.

Thanks for going there!! I'm always hesitant to compare it to childbirth cos all the healthy mothers out there who don't know the joys of IBS are quick to contradict!! No I don't know childbirth, but Yes, I do know pain, and relief afterwards when it's over!

~nelly~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hi Nellie-its puddytat-Tylenol w/codeine new
      #113881 - 10/18/04 04:21 PM
puddytat55

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: New Jersey-dont laugh!

great tip-getting a liver analysis because of the meds-I never thought about that-nor did doc suggest it-thank you!

--------------------
Puddytat55-I tawt I taw a puddytat!

Hello puddytat! new
      #113891 - 10/18/04 04:40 PM
Nelly

Yep, it's important to get that liver test every now and again. Acetaminophen (paracetamol) is rough on the liver. Doesn't seem fair, cos it's ok on the stomach!

I've just now read that darvon is given for IBS sufferers. It makes me a little loopy, though. Ever had any other painkiller experiences with your IBS? Anything else that works?

~nelly~

Re: Hello puddytat! new
      #113893 - 10/18/04 04:47 PM
puddytat55

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: New Jersey-dont laugh!

hey Nelly...isnt it great all the stuff we learn from each other?...I was a bad bad teenager (many years ago)in high school & my friend and I experimented with her fathers painkiller for his back...needless to say it was strong and it was Darvon-foundout after I hit the floor trying to walk in the hallway & the nurse found me and mom kept to get me and dragged me to the doc to find out what i took! Needless to say, I havent taken it since!... lol....but yes, I have tried Percocet for pain...discovered it when dentist prescribed it for a screaming toothache...only need 1/2 of one and I HOURD them for severe emergencies!!! God I feel like a pharmacy! Keep in touch!

--------------------
Puddytat55-I tawt I taw a puddytat!

Re: Hello puddytat!-tylenol and Liver Function Tests new
      #113899 - 10/18/04 05:09 PM
LeeW

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Lancaster Co., Pa.

You can take up to 4 grams, or 4000 mg a day of tylenol, that's limit usually prescribed in the hospital (I am an RN). We give 650 mg of tylenol every 4-6 hours as needed. However, I don't know for how many days in a row...

Never taken Darvon. Percocet makes me itch like crazy. We get Darvocet for people who are allergic to Percocet.

-Lee

Re: Contraction pain!! new
      #113901 - 10/18/04 05:14 PM
LeeW

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Lancaster Co., Pa.

Hi Nelly. Yeah- me too- when the pain is so bad I "push" back.. Otherwise, as it tapers off, it is like when labor first starts- waves and then relief. A co-worker of mine said her's is like that too- and she has kids! Coming from someone who has labored and has IBS- the pain of labor is worse, but still the same type of all-consuming, everything below my ribcage kind of pain.

BTW- no IBS while pregnant, go figure. It got really bad afterwards, probably due to the anesthesia from the c-section (it put's your gut to sleep). That was a year ago. I tried zelnorm, but had to stop because I was still nursing. Didn't really like it, I always felt pressure (like I had to have a BM).

Anyway, have a good week!

Lee

Re: Contraction pain!! new
      #113902 - 10/18/04 05:20 PM
Nelly

I have heard that about IBS disappearing during pregnancy! I had a friend whose lactose intolerance disappeared while she was pregnant, and she was thriiilled! I'm like <gritting my teeth>I'm soo happy for you.</gritting my teeth>

~nelly~

Itchy! new
      #113904 - 10/18/04 05:24 PM
Nelly

LOL! Percocet gives me the itchy-scratchies too. Ultram is the worst for that, though, for me.

I didn't know Darvocet can be subbed for percs for patients who can't tolerate them. I don't know enough about Darvon except for its pharmacology. I should probably post to see if anyone else has had experiences with them.

Thanks!

~nelly~

Re: Hello puddytat! new
      #113906 - 10/18/04 05:28 PM
Nelly

Oh, that is just too funny!! Bus-ted!! I did stuff like that too, even fell asleep in the library after school off of one valium...!! Ah, our pasts. Can't ever escape them, can we?!

Thanks for the flashback!!

~nelly~

Re: Does anyone here have pain predominant IBS? new
      #113922 - 10/18/04 06:57 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

Woah Yeah!

Three weeks ago I ended up in the emrgancy room because my doc. thoguht I had appendicitis (how ever you spell that). I had "the runs" all night and when that was over I still had waves of intense pain. It turned out that It was just a very major IBS attack. The pain lasted about eight hours and then began to taper off. If the pain gets realy bad I try to lay down with a pillow under my knees or curl up in a fetal position and cry. Thank G-d that doesn't happen too often.
I hope you feel better soon.
Chany

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 299 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17149

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review