All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Dr. Nelly sez-- new
      #112329 - 10/12/04 11:14 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

LOL! You know when they say "4 out of 5 doctors say..."? I'm betting I've seen docs less qualified than

Dr. Scholl
Dr. Julius Irving
Dr. Ruth Westheimer
Dr. Bones
Dr. Kevorkian
Doc Marten

I'd gladly see you, Dr. H any day!!! Do you take Care First Capital Care?

~Dr. nelly~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does anyone here have pain predominant IBS? new
      #112346 - 10/12/04 11:58 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I go through phases with it. As a kid the pian was so bad I would throw up.....even a couple of eyars ago I literally crawled on the floor with pain.

What did I do for it? Mom thpught I was either trying to get out of school or being bulemic (I was NECER bulemic just anoreixc). anyhow.. I HATE throwing up and I woulf not do it on purpose if you paid me. Thoise days I just had to ride it out. It was AWFUL!!! 2 years ago I did yoga and it got me threough.

Whata re you doing IBS diet/exercise, etc. to help you? Do you evet take anything for the pain?

Hopw you are pain fee soon!

*hugs*

rUChie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Does anyone here have pain predominant IBS? ME ! new
      #112354 - 10/12/04 12:11 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Nelly,
I am pain predominant too..coupled with what my GI doc calls "urgency". Am IBS-A. THe double over attacks are scary but I haven't had a really bad one in about six weeks. I was very bad one weekend in my parents place but they were OK. I have had the meeting problem too and just excused myself and went to the bathroom and sat double over trying to do some gentle stretches. I have tried going to bed with the pain when it is really bad, lying in foetal position and clinging to a hot water bottle for dear life!

Best of luck with it,

Sinead

--------------------
S.

#112357 - 10/12/04 12:13 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

LOL!! Heather, you are priceless!!! An STD!! ROTFLMBO!!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#113308 - 10/15/04 06:44 PM
puddytat55

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: New Jersey-dont laugh!

Hi Nelly-I'm so sorry it took me so long to answer your post about what I do when I have the "double over pain" at work. I have been too busy at night to even log on here...when I'm at work, I just run to the bathroom-I drop what I'm doing, I get off the phone if I'm on it with a customer, I just get up and walk out if I'm in a meeting...& everyone at work knows why! I let everyone know what's happening with me, that way I am excused from being rude or whatever they may think about my sudden departure. When I am in "IBS" mode I take Xanax medicine-twice a day- for anxiety because these attack days make me very upset and anxious. They seem to help keep me a bit calmer than if I didnt take them.I dont take them during my remission periods....ya know it's actually rather funny to think of what I look like when I come out of the bathroom at work...my face is beet red from grimacing, my legs are beet red from me bending over, my hair's a mess and I look like I've been crying (and sometimes I have)for days! Thank god my co-workers are somewhat sympathetic, but I am a hazard to them because I am in the bathroom 15 times in 3 or 4 hours and I just cant answer the phone or talk to my customers-they dont say it, but I'm sure they have some silent anger. I mean, how long can they tolerate this endless scenario? After 3 hours of pain, I take 1/2 tylenol with codeine and it shuts down my digestive track & i can continue work without bathroomitis...sometimes its the only way i get through the day-I had to beg my doctor for them. Most docs dont like to give out narcotic pain killers to digestive tract disorder patients because they have the potential to abuse them and develope a resistance to them & because they do shut down the intestines and ultimately that is not a good thing. Therefore I save that measure for desperate times...(like when I'm going into New York City to see a show! Cant be running down the theater aisle every 2 minutes!) Maybe you can talk to your doctor about some meds to help you out, too. But I sympathize with you immensley-I didnt know other people get that kind of pain,too-I dont know anyone personally-I thought I was all alone in this great suffering. Please communicate more with me with any suggestions on how you handle your bad days "out there in the ordinary day". Thank you all for having me here on this site-I wont be able to log on daily-but I will be here when I can. Anybody live in New Jersey?

--------------------
Puddytat55-I tawt I taw a puddytat!

Hey Puddytat55! new
      #113359 - 10/16/04 07:35 AM
Nelly

I take tylenol with codiene too! Thank you for your post-- it's so good to hear you've shared my experiences! (getting empathy=AWESOME feeling for me! NEVER had it till these boards!) I had a prob getting codiene from my doc too, as I am a white female, young, urban professional, just the group likely to abuse Rx drugs.

It was such a relief finding a doc who had faith and believed in me!! I take it as a prevantative too, when I'll be locked in the boardroom all day, or giving out performance reviews or something equally time-consuming and stressful. I don't want to rock the boat with this doc, as he's the only one who's treated me like I always thought I should be treated, as a PATIENT, not a potential drug abuser!!

I live in MD, just a hop skip and a jump on the map from you! My hat's off to you-- I can't imagine the stress with dealing with customers/strangers constantly with IBS!

~nelly~

#113404 - 10/16/04 01:15 PM
LeeW

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Lancaster Co., Pa.

Yes! you aren't alone! I have to say that I have been pretty lucky, though. I have had 3-4 attacks that were the doubling over type- one sent me to the ER. Otherwise, I get what I call "a low level" a pain if I eat the wrong things, and then I am scared out of my wits that a full-blown attack is coming. The worst part is, that the full-blown attacks take about 6 hours to resolve, almost everytime. SO, when it starts, I just lay in bed and watch the clock. How long do yours last?

Hope you are feeling well.

Hey LeeW! new
      #113414 - 10/16/04 03:07 PM
Nelly

Thanks for replying! My double-over attacks can last all night, but if I take some Imodium and codiene to stop them they taper off at about the 1 hour mark. I drink lots of water, to help evenything move through me faster. H2O doesn't help the pain, but it does lessen the duration of an attack. Try taking some codiene. It'll help a lot, I'll wager. *disclaimer-- i'm not a vet , so see your doc!*

On the other hand, I have been stranded without meds and suffered for hours and hours. You know, it's funny, but watching the clock actually helps me remember that it won't be forever. At 5am I might actually feel well. Or at 5:14. Or maybe 5:22. OK, pleeease at 5:41??

I did use to have night attacks constantly, until I stopped sleeping with pajamas. That little elastic around my belly, even from just my undies, was causing my attacks at night. Weird, huh? Now it's rare I have one. They usually come first thing in the morning, or right after lunch for me.

~nelly~

Tylenol w/codeine-hey Nellie! new
      #113518 - 10/17/04 07:21 AM
puddytat55

thank god for drugs..I knew they made them for something!
I too take them as "preventative measures" but, only when I know I am going to be out there in the public without access to the bathroom-'specially because when I have to go-I have togo-right here, right now, get me to the bathroom! Like, I just came back from my first 8 days vacation in years-San Francisco-the ONLY way I was able to go was because of the T/C...took it every morning after I took suppositories to force myself to go to the bathroom-couldnt have done it any other way! Yep-Maryland is not too far away-maybe we can catch up to each other one day! Have a great day everyone..LZ

--------------------

Hey Slickgirl-Does anyone here have pain predominant IBS? new
      #113523 - 10/17/04 07:32 AM
puddytat55

Pain predominent pain really stinks...it is so unbearable & it ruins the day...maybe b/f will start to alter his diet after he's had enough suffering...has he tried any Rx meds like antispasmotics...sometimes they help...send him my empathy-I know exactly what he goes through...once I had an attack that lasted an entire year and a hlaf...EVERY time I went to the bathroom I had an attack day-the worst pain & suffering I had ever had up to that point-thats when I wound up in the hospital 2 different times because of it....this is a curse & I hate it.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 305 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17148

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review