All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
I second that! new
      #111386 - 10/08/04 11:32 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I like you, TL. Stick around.

If anyone doesn't like a thread you start, they can ignore it, not reply, whatever. The boards are for everyone, not just the "old-timers". I hadn't seen the first post either, and I don't even consider myself a newbie anymore!

Hope you'll reconsider and stick around the Living Room.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

TL and Rachel??? new
      #111387 - 10/08/04 11:37 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Off the subject...but I can't find that post about the Asian pears, and wasn't that the info about almonds too?

If either of you have the link I'd love to have it, please???

And don't you dare leave TL....we love you! Besides, we need the lead singer and drummer for the Witchy Chicks!!!

Kandee

--------------------

Here ya go, Kandee!!! new
      #111391 - 10/08/04 11:54 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I believe this is what you're looking for:
web page

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Actually... new
      #111393 - 10/08/04 11:58 AM
RachelT

I remember seeing your post come up a few times over the last few days. I was just reluctant to reply due to my harsh feelings toward my colon and bad C at that time. Sorry! I still don't have a name.

PS. I'm thrilled that you like my recipes!!! I will continue to post more as I unpack!!!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Re: TL and Rachel??? new
      #111404 - 10/08/04 12:28 PM
Teresa Lynn

Reged: 09/16/04

Hi Kandee,
Okay, you ask for peahs and now you get peahs.
According to the Chinese, pears are considered a cooling fruit and they are excellent for fevers, ulcers or other stomach ailments. For the Chinese, almonds come in two main varieties: there are "northern" (bitter) and "southern" (sweet) almonds. Both are used by the Chinese for food and medicine. … Sweet almonds have a neutral nature, while the bitter are warming, but both lubricate the intestines and temper coughs. Almond tea made with almonds steeped in boiling water, then sweetened with rock sugar, is often drunk as a remedy for coughing.

Recipe from ""A Spoonful of Ginger" by Nina Simonds
6 nearly ripe Asian pears
2 lemons
6 tablespoons honey
4 tablespoons "southern" Chinese almonds

1. Cut a thin slice off the bottom of each pear so that it will stand upright. Peel the pears and rub the surface with a cut lemon half to prevent them from turning brown. Cut the top squarely off each pear, slicing about 2 inches from the top, and with a melon baler or spoon, carefully remove the core and seeds. Do not cut through to the bottom of the pear. Reserve the tops.

2. Arrange the pears on a pie plate or some kind of a heatproof plate. Spoon a tablespoon of the honey into each pear and sprinkle some of the almonds on top. Place the reserved tops on the pears, if necessary securing them with toothpicks. Place the plate in a steamer tray if using.

3. Fill a wok or large pot with enough water to reach the bottom of the steamer tray and bring to a boil.

4. Cover and steam 40 to 45 minutes, or until the fruit is tender when pierced with a knife. Serve the Asian pears warm, at room temperature or cold.

I dang near couldn't find you. In fact, I'm not sure how I got here. Purrs, Teresa

#111436 - 10/08/04 01:31 PM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Hi TL -
I have a recipe similar to this in one of my Chinese cook books! The Chinese have great stuff like this - I'm going back to China in two weeks now and I know it will be hellish on my tummy, but I'm sure I'll have lots of freinds offering me this and that tea and herb to try and help - I'll let you guys know what works when I get back!
This colon naming thread made me smile today at work - let's see - name for Mindy's colon - how about chou - this is the Chinese word for stinky - pronouced like Joe with a "ch" sound at the beginning - because it stinks to have Mindy's colon! Hope you're feeling better today - and thanks for the pear post.
Min

#111441 - 10/08/04 01:43 PM
Teresa Lynn

Hi mindyj,
Now that is quite a name for your colon. I like it. While you're back in China,I might use it a couple of times on my cats. I read your bio and your life sounds very exciting. Keep in touch if you can and let me know what they use for IBS. I do a lot of acupressure point massage with a tennis ball. You just pick a spot that hurts and put the tennis ball between your owie and the wall and then lean into it and roll it around until you can feel the pain give way. You can also tuck a tennis ball or two under your lower back and rock side to side on it while you lay flat in the bed so that your butt and back muscles will loosen up before you crawl out to greet the world. You're welcome for the pear recipe. Have a safe trip. Teresa

#111457 - 10/08/04 02:55 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

TL, is "Spazz" taken? I think that's my colon's name. Or better yet, "Spazzette"! That sounds like someone that would be in a punk rock band!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#111462 - 10/08/04 03:04 PM
Teresa Lynn

Hi Laura Sue,
Nope, Spazz or Spazzette have not yet been taken. I kinda like Spazzette. It's interesting to see if the names we pick out for our colons are male or female. Mine is definately an annoying little guy called Jeffrey. You know the kind who would run with scissors in his hands. Teresa

Re: Naming Your Colon new
      #111469 - 10/08/04 03:15 PM
RachelT

I'm not very creative, so here goes. The only think I can think of is "Poo Keeper"! I know... really lame . I'm a C rather than a D, and it kind of sounds like "Zoo Keeper".

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 560 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5940

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review