All Boards >> The Living Room

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Working
      #110844 - 10/06/04 02:15 PM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

Has anyone actually quit their job to see if it would help with IBS? Thats all I can think about lately is how much I HATE my job and how much happier I would be at home. But on the other hand there is no reason for me to stay home, we dont have kids or plan to have them anytime soon and we need the extra money BUT I JUST HATE WORK. Maybe Im just being selfish and spoiled but I just feel like if I didnt have to worry about work so much I would start feeling better - Has anyone done this or felt like this????
-Stacey

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Working new
      #110846 - 10/06/04 02:18 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I've definitely thought about it- but DH wouldn't go for it- we would have to give up so many things he likes to do it.. and as he said there isn't that much of a reason to quit- my stomach isn't that out of control right now...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#110852 - 10/06/04 02:24 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Hi Stacey!

I thought about before I had IBS! I'd love too but the mortgage needs to be paid and its hard to justify. The one thing I find work is good for is distracting me from feeling sorry for myself sometimes.

There has to be an answer to your problem though..
maybe you could look for a job that you would enjoy more ? Or even one without the characteristics of your job that makes you hate it so much? Do you hate working in an office...so maybe look for a different work environment. Could you do some work from home maybe?

Just ideas...while I would love to quit work, and the stress sometimes does affect my IBS, I think it keeps my mental health in check sometimes!

Good luck with your decision,

Sinead

--------------------
S.

#110858 - 10/06/04 02:30 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Stacey
Hey girl I can relate!! When I had vulvadoina S/p? I hated to work! I knew if I could just not have to worry about how I was going to feel for work I would feel better!! There is so much less worry about being sick when you know if you are you can spend the day on the couch!!! Plus I hated working!!! I love being at stay at home mom!! When we lived in VA I didn't work most of the time!! I just stayed home and took care of the house and my husband!!! Don't feel selfish!! What your feeling is normal!!!!
Good Luck

--------------------
Heather7476

#110869 - 10/06/04 03:06 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I have done it, and I found that it didn't make that much of a difference. If your financial situation is such that you won't have to worry about money if you're not working, then yes, I could see the difference in your stress level making a difference in how you feel. I wasn't in such a situation. In fact, this past spring was the WORST I've ever been IBS-wise, and I wasn't working... but I *was* very stressed about money and trying to find work, and things like that.

I second the suggestion to maybe try to find a job that won't stress you out as much. When I first moved here, I was working in a call center, and there's NO WAY that was going to work out - the stress was so bad that I'd be sick every morning just out of dread. My boyfriend and I talked about it, and he decided that it was a no-brainer to quit the job and try to get something part-time that wasn't as stressful. Sometimes it's worth sacrificing bits and pieces of your lifestyle (we stopped eating out, and decided not to get cable, things like that) to feel better.

Re: Working from home new
      #110893 - 10/06/04 04:04 PM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

Has anyone ever done this or known someone that has and had success with it?? I dont think Ive ever known someone that has worked from home. I LOVE the idea of it but Im always hearing that they are all scams? I have found a couple of ads here and there but I never have called on them.

Re: Working from home new
      #111004 - 10/07/04 03:57 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I know people who worked for reputable local offices with options to work from their home.. or do part and part.. many companies do it to save on overhead in floor space now.. not sure what is in your area.. and I know someone who works for AOL doing customr service- answering help emails from home.

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#111005 - 10/07/04 04:04 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I hate working too. I'm not cut out for the 5 day a week 9-5 thing but I have been doing it for years because of the money. I'd love to either work from home or part-time.

I thought my IBS would get better the week I was off this summer but there was no difference. And I think I might get bored with not working at all. I'd become a couch potato.

I'd look for a better job if your sucks so much. I've been looking for a new one for years but haven't had any luck. While that's dissapointing, it always reminds me that I do have a job that pays well so it could be worse.

Plus, I'm very comfortable in my job and starting a new one can be super stressful.

#111031 - 10/07/04 06:20 AM
renaanne

Reged: 09/19/04
Loc: Marietta, GA

If you don't need the income, how about doing something you really love? Sometimes we go from high school, to college, to working and never have time to really figure out what we love to do. I worked in a job I hated up until the day before I had my daughter. It wasn't until after I had my baby and had time to just putter around the house that I found that I truly LOVE to sew. I love being home and will never "work" again. I do take on some sewing for people if it's something I will enjoy doing and they're willing to pay me enough for my time. My point is, don't just quit your job to lay around on the couch. You'll probably find that you feel worse because you have nothing to get up for. Volunteer at the local retirement home, join a group (I'm on the board for our local American Sewing Guild, and the HOA board),take up pottery, learn to knit, do something valuable with your time because you never get one moment back to do over.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 160 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2914

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review