All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
an article about the IBS prone personality
      #107221 - 09/21/04 08:28 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

My mom found this article in Shape magazine and sent it to me so I figured i'd share..

"unassertive people may be more likely to develop irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), a common gastrointestinal disorder that affects more women than men. Aggravated by stress, it causes abdominal pain, constipation and/or diarrhea. Most people who have IBS are submissive and nonassertive, says jefferey lackner, PsyD. They have difficulty making their own needs known to others and being firm."

then they go on to suggest that cognitive therapy can help..

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: an article about the IBS prone personality new
      #107225 - 09/21/04 09:06 AM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

What do you think about that Spicy? Is that your personality? I think there might be something to it. It sounds like my personality, although I'm improving in being assertive.

Hmm... new
      #107231 - 09/21/04 09:28 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

There might be something to the connection between personality and IBS, but I'm not 100% on this one. I've become more assertive over the years, and my IBS has only gotten worse (well, until recently, anyway). Although, I suppose it could be cumulative damage from my years of being a doormat.

Hmm, interesting.

Re: Hmm... new
      #107234 - 09/21/04 09:36 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I heard it was more to do with typical type A personas, which (I think) are usually perfectionists and worry about little things!

Wha?? new
      #107236 - 09/21/04 09:38 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Heeeeeeeeey...! Submissive and unassertative?? I'm pretty assertive, I like to think. Without being whiney, I might add.

While it's true that if I'm being berated and yelled at I get attacks, I think this doc is confusing cause and effect here.

~nelly~

I would comment but... new
      #107244 - 09/21/04 10:48 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

... I am not assertive enough to voice my own opinion to others. hee hee, just kidding.
I think there is probably something to it, but think it is one of those things that 'may' influence it, in some cases sort of thing. I don't think it could be even close to 100% accurate.
I can't figure if I am assertive or not.. I am pretty sure I make my needs known.. Dunno, strange.
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#107245 - 09/21/04 10:49 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

I think that article is way off base and I would like to see the research they have to back up this claim. I am pretty damn assertive when I want to be. Just ask the people I work with!

--------------------

I fall in to both categories ... new
      #107246 - 09/21/04 10:51 AM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

I am definitely not assertive - I let everyone and their mothers walk all over me. AND I'm a perfectionist who worries about all of the little things ... Talk about a double whammie!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

#107251 - 09/21/04 11:28 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

We'll let you know if we're all alike after Oct. 19th--- The Fall Sprawl in Las Vegas.

I doubt it.

Kandee

--------------------

#107254 - 09/21/04 11:45 AM
Kimm

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I dunno....I'm super assertive....I usually have no problem saying exactly what's on my mind...although I am DEFINATELY a perfectionist and I do worry about EVERYTHING....sometimes so much that it keeps me awake half the night.

I've been so worried about my move on friday that I didn't get to sleep until 3:00am the other morning and I had to be up at 6:00am for work. By about 2:30 I was hoping someone would just punch me out and let me sleep!!

LOL! new
      #107255 - 09/21/04 11:51 AM
Nelly

HAHAHA HA HAHA "...hoping someone would just punch me out!"

*wiping tears from eyes* Oh boy Kimm, you hit it on the head.

I have so felt like that before!! Recently, in fact! I had an interview on Friday and spend most of Thursday night up stressing about every single detail! I think i nodded off between 3 and 5:30 for a while...! Then I was up again thinking, "Boy, I wish somebody was taping this. This has gotta be funny to SOMEone! Hm, i wonder if COPS is on?"

~nelly~

#107290 - 09/21/04 01:02 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I feel like you just described ME. I am the first person to tell you what I think but I also worry about EVERYTHING. I was up all night worried about weather or not we had enough food for my husband's party earlier this month. And If we are having money issues forget it I am a wreck. You, Nelly and I the three musketeers.

--------------------
Heather7476

Nelly & Heather new
      #107310 - 09/21/04 01:44 PM
Kimm

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thank goodness there are more people out there like me!!!

We should start a "Just Punch Me Out" club....for other people who are like us!!

Re: Nelly & Heather new
      #107311 - 09/21/04 01:49 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

LMBO Just Don't tell my hubby. I am sure there are nights he would love to puch me out after I have talked his ear off and then kept him up tossing and turning LOL

--------------------
Heather7476

#107312 - 09/21/04 02:00 PM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

I'm assertive when I have to be without being bossy and arrogant (i hope). But I do tend to worry about the little things. I'm a perfectionist and am always worried about how my friends and family are feeling. My biggest vice is worrying about how my illness affects my loved ones rather than worrying about what I need to do to get better.

Meg

#107394 - 09/21/04 06:13 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

i dunno.. I used to be but am getting better

I just thought it was interesting

--------------------

#107422 - 09/21/04 07:56 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

I definitely stress out, but I am unquestionably assertive. No doormatting here!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#107494 - 09/22/04 04:31 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

excuse me????

I'm not a doormat.. ask DH other then to my parents I am very assertive and often too much so... but I do tend to worry about things and let stress get to me.

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#107506 - 09/22/04 05:45 AM
tc2004

Reged: 05/26/04
Loc: Texas

Well I don't know about this. I am pretty blunt don't have a problem saying what I think. However I do try to keep my tongue in check because if I let loose then I'll get way over stressed and well we know what that does I'm IBS-D...
I am not very good at letting other people know how I'm feeling I think everyone has enough of their own problems they don't need to hear about mine.. It does get a little frustrating dealing on my own though....I would really like to have someone to just talk to about all these things we get with IBS and etc....
I think they need to do a study on very assertive people I would lay odds that us blunt ones tend to make our selves worse and cause problems with our opinions. I bet there would be more people that are blunt that have IBS than those not, just my opinion.
Well why not do a poll on here to see if there are more asservtive ones or not asservtive ones that have IBS etc....
Well I've said enough
Terry

Punch Me Out Club! new
      #107547 - 09/22/04 08:50 AM
Nelly

I'm down with a punch me out club!! We can have matching mallets...

~nelly~

#107697 - 09/22/04 06:48 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Since I used to be a doormat and now I am not at all, will my IBS go away?
But yes I think this is true.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#107715 - 09/22/04 08:58 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

I say what I think and am not unassertive. I am a perfectionist and very type A though!! I don't think it has anything to do with personality to tell you the truth. Maybe how we deal with it does.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 886 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1739

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review