All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Any E-bayers here? Need to vent
      #106847 - 09/19/04 02:11 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

Practically every time I bid on ebay, someone else comes in at ONE MINUTE to the end & outbids me. Even if I am lucky enough to be sitting at the computer (& can't always do that as I DO have a life) & they send me an outbid notice & I immediately go in to try to bid again, the auction is over by the time I get there. Grrrr...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Any E-bayers here? Need to vent new
      #106852 - 09/19/04 02:53 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

They're probably using a "sniper" program - a service, or a little bit of software, that places a bid at the last minute. I almost always get outbid the same way, when I bid on things. The only way to get around it is to use the same kind of bidding program.

#106868 - 09/19/04 04:53 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

I've heard people call the last minute bidders snipers but didn't know there was a program. I just thought they sat there & waited. Guess there are programs for just about everything

I do NOT heart ebay... new
      #106881 - 09/19/04 06:29 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

ugh.. I used to shop on ebay everyonce in awhile until about a year ago and now I HATE it.

I bought a coach purse on an auction that cost 80bucks.. considerably cheaper than one in a store, but also a lot of money to drop.

Anwyays.. blaa blaa authentic coach purse, authenticity number and everything. I received it and IT WAS A FAKE. I tried to get in touch with the seller to tell him I was sending it back cause it was fake.. and he never responded, so I sent it back anyways cause you only have five days or no refund.

Anyways long story short the A$$ said he never recieved it back and never gave me a refund.. I went through the ebay protection agency etc, and no one evergave me my money back. and I got no purse.

--------------------

#106882 - 09/19/04 06:30 PM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

I sell and buy on ebay. When I bid, I put in the highest amount I would be willing to pay, no matter if it gets sniped or not. That way, I don't feel quite as bad when I'm outbid and I often am able to actually win what I want.
Maybe I'm just bidding on things that nobody else wants though.

#106887 - 09/19/04 06:37 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

A way to get over this might be to put in more than the minimum bid. On the few things that I've purchased, I've had an idea of the maximum that I've wanted to spend, and so long as that price is a couple of minimum bids away from the current price, you're pretty much guaranteed to beat the sniper programs since (I assume) they will only bet the minimum increment. But like everything, you have to put your bid in close to the end of the auction.

#106891 - 09/19/04 06:49 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

yep yep... try hammersnipe.com.

53 minutes until I find out if I finally won this t-shirt I've been trying to get forever. I refuse to pay more than it would have cost new in the store so I keep having to try and try again with auctions.

I would never buy anything that expensive though, because I fear something happening to me like happened to Ashley!! I've bought all kinds of cool and fun things, never gotten really burned. The worst was when I bought a shirt that was clearly used that was supposed to be new without tags. But it was only $14 and new it would have been $50.

#106899 - 09/19/04 07:30 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

From the other side of the spectrum ... I used to work for a guy that was a complete freak about his e-bay. He was OBSESSED with his motorcycle collection and would wage wars against other buyers. Because I was essentially his b*tch there (he even suggested I clean his laundry for him - I was his office assistant), I was the one who had to do the e-bay thing. He would give me his max bid and tell me to input it at 30sec. to end of auction. So he always had either me or his g/f sitting by the comp to do that for him ... really turned me off of the whole deal

--------------------
~*Amber*~

#106906 - 09/19/04 09:24 PM
bevp

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Brisbane Australia

Re Ebay, I just registered because I saw a book I wanted to bid on. Made my bid and then next day got a message that my bid had been rejected! Checked the site and found that the seller said he wouldn't sell to anyone who didn't post 'feedback'. I understand this is from other dealers over other purchases. This was my first purchase so I didn't have any feedback!

I decided I didn't want the book anyway, so took my bat and ball and went home.

Bev

#107130 - 09/20/04 07:18 PM
Lil' Bell

Reged: 09/14/04
Loc: South Dakota, USA

We have bought more than our share on E-Bay..and my hubby loves to sniper the stuff. I, on the other hand, usually forget what it is I bid on until days after the auction ends!

I honestly prefer to buy off of Amazon.com, since you don't have to bid, and can purchase used items at a discount (or, preorder things so you do not have to fight the crowds- like Star Wars!)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 205 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1417

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review