All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Okay, I'm not enjoying Lexapro so far.
      #103448 - 09/02/04 11:18 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Actually, yesterday I spent the day alternating between spaced out and asleep, and I kind of enjoyed that. LOL Today it's just making me dizzy, and of all annoying things, it's causing IBS cramping and gurgling, something I haven't had to deal with in a month and a half now. If I get D from this, I'm going to be really cranky. Oh, and it's completely killed what little appetite I had left. All I've eaten since breakfast yesterday is a hot dog roll with honey on it.

I'm just being a big baby about the whole thing, but please tell me the side effects get better? I'm VERY anti-medicine anyway, and being stuck in bed on a GORGEOUS almost-fall-in-Maine day because of side effects isn't exactly changing my mind about that.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Okay, I'm not enjoying Lexapro so far. new
      #103451 - 09/02/04 11:22 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Hang in there, sweetie. The first adjustment to the meds is in the first few days. It's the worst of it. Try to relax, and throw a blanket under a tree outside. Lie yourself down with a good book.
I remember with Paxil I shook for 3 days straight. After that, it got better. Unfortunately, these darn meds take time to work. It's gonna be a while before you know if it's going to help. You've got to give it time. Yes, meds suck. I'm facing probably a lifetime on antidepressants. But you know, it's better than the alternative. If this med can possibly help, give it a try. Hugs.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#103453 - 09/02/04 11:32 AM
atomic rose

Oh yeah, I'm determined to try. I knew it would take a while to really feel like they were working... I'm just getting discouraged because I'm dealing with wonky side effects from other meds too, and between them all, I can't eat or drink, all I do is sleep.

But I'll hang in there. I haven't got a choice - the alternative isn't very appealing either. LOL! Thanks for the encouragement.

#103455 - 09/02/04 11:34 AM
jeenerz

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Northwest Montana

Hi Casey,
My sister went on Lexapro a couple of months ago and she went thru about 2 weeks before the side effects went away. You've got to stick with it. You may experience feeling teary-eyed alot, you may have nightmares and you may feel like you just had 20 cups of coffee--NOT DECAF EITHER! You may be tired and nauseated, but I would encourge you to hang in there. I have a friend who is a PA and he just recently sat in on a Medical forum of GI's who are doing research on Lexapro and its positive affect on IBS. He said they are having great results with the Lexapro. And my sis did stop having the side effects about 2 weeks into it.

So right now just keep telling yourself it won't always be like this and this is going to ultimately make you fell better--I think that's called positive thinking. :=) Just keep hanging in there, dear. Things may get worse before they get better, but wouldn't it be worth it if you ultimately get relief from the Lexapro? Sending you hugs and positive thoughts.
Janene

Too bad, Casey new
      #103458 - 09/02/04 11:43 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

I'm sorry you are having a hard time with your new med. I think some of the people on the boards are on Lexapro, too.
Maybe they will have some ideas for you. Remember, Nugget had a hard time adjusting to Effexor at first...she was sleepy, too. But, now she is feeling great and it's all because of the Effexor.

I know you are planning to hang in there and see what happens. Hopefully it will work really fast so you won't have to suffer too long.

Hate that you're not eating, though. Don't even want a nice hot bowl of chicken noodle soup, huh?

Sending you bunches of hugs to help you feel better!

Barbie

--------------------

If you can make it through the first 2 weeks ..... new
      #103469 - 09/02/04 12:44 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

then the side effects should subside. Take if from someone who's been on almost every anxiety/AD/mood stabilizer out there! It's just your body adjusting to it. Once it gets in your system and you get accustomed to it, you should be feeling better.

When I started taking the one I'm currently on, I felt like I had the flu for about a week. It was horrible! The doctor encouraged me to stick with it---and after that initial period, I was feeling fine.

Hang in there! It takes a full several months before most of these AD's work. Give it TIME. Remember how Nugget said she wasn't sure of the Effexor. Now she's glad she stuck with it.

Good luck! And I hope you feel better soon.

#103470 - 09/02/04 12:46 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Sorry your having a hard time with the meds Casey. I am very sleepy from the Zoloft right now to. I also don't have much of an want to eat. All I have had today is some pretzels and water. We gotta just hang in there. Who knows these may realy help us. I hope you are feeling better soon. It won't last forever just a few weeks.
Good Luck

--------------------
Heather7476

#103472 - 09/02/04 01:01 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I was on Lexapro and loved it! I recently switched to zoloft because its safer for pregnancy. The side effects WILL go away, as everyone has said, about 2 weeks. Stick with it sweetie, it will get better!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Okay, I'm not enjoying Lexapro so far./Michele new
      #103476 - 09/02/04 01:29 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I have a quick Question. Did the lexapro help youwith your pain and other IBS problems? Or were youtaking it for Depression. I am on the seconded week of Zoloft and I am just wondering what I can hopefull expect. I know everyone is different just kinda of looking for a road map if you know what I mean. Ok so that wasn't so quick Anything you can tell me I would appercitate.
Thanks.

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: Okay, I'm not enjoying Lexapro so far./Michele new
      #103486 - 09/02/04 02:17 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I have troubles with pain, anxiety and depression. I have been on Prozac, Wellbutrin, zoloft and Lexapro. Of all those drugs, I liked the Lexapro best. I feel that the zoloft isn't as strong or effective for me but it is the safest one to take during pregnancy. I hope it helps you!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Thanks, everyone new
      #103490 - 09/02/04 02:32 PM
atomic rose

I just feel miserable right now. The side effects are a complete derailment for me. I've spent the last 2 days in bed, and I figure my weekend is pretty much ruined. I can't eat, I can't cook, I can't work, I can't drive - I don't even have the energy to take a shower.

But I'm sticking with it. It had better be worth it, that's all I gotta say.

#103494 - 09/02/04 02:46 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Aww. I hope you feel better soon. I know the side effects stink. I know Michele said the side effects are the worst with Lexapro, but it helped out the best after they were over. I know that doesn't help you now, but keep going! You can do it.
I have D for 5 WEEKS starting Zoloft. And no appetite. Now I'm fine (it's week 6), but I have NO sex drive still. I really hope that goes away.
I hope you feel better!

--------------------
~Cara~

Get better Casey new
      #103495 - 09/02/04 02:47 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Hey Casey
I'm sorry that you're having all those awful side effects but like everyone has already said, this is the worst of it. You never know, this might not be the right med for you but the only way you can figure that out is by trying it which can be a pain. As I am sure you already know, this can definitely be a process of trial & error unfortunately. Try not to stress out too much right now though although I know that's definitely easier said than done. I know it seems like you're back to sqaure one but really, you're starting over, this is just a bump in the road Anyway I really really hope you feel a little better soon. You of all people really don't deserve this!!
Take care

#103583 - 09/03/04 12:39 AM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

Good morning Casey, I hope you are feeling a bit better now!!

I kind of expected this post, as I had horrid side effects too when I first started taking them. If you are like me you totally lose your appetite - but PLEASE force yourself to eat anyway, you will only end up feeling more energyless and nauseous if you don't. I found that adding really spicy tasty food to plain rice really helped as you need something to stimulate the taste buds. Strong smells helped to - so a nice smelly lavender bath worked wonders.

Enjoy the sleeping - it knocks the socks off insomnia, and I bet your cats appreciate having a knee to sit on all day!

Also don't worry if you get more depressed - I was teary and in a right state for a couple of weeks, then miraculously it lifted and I feel great.

I feel a bit like you are my clone in America - both got general anxiety disorder, both couldn't eat ANYTHING because of IBS, both trying to move house etc

However, I'm a couple of weeks ahead of you and therefore feel all smug in saying - IT GETS BETTER.

So much better - I survived a stressfull 8 hour train journey yesterday on my own and then went shopping with my dad afterwards. Couldn't have done that a week ago. Oh and I ate a peach without a soluable fibre base - HAH!

Can't promise you life will be brilliant, but take it one day at a time.

Wishing you all the best, Catherine

My UK clone... new
      #103635 - 09/03/04 07:20 AM
atomic rose

Good morning Catherine!

I don't really feel any better so far, but I'm keeping on. The loss of appetite thing is just killing me - it's almost as bad as the nausea. I just tried to eat a turkey sandwich, because I haven't had any protein in several days and I'm really feeling it, and it was like the food was turning into glue in my throat. Ugh.

Part of the problem is that I've lost ALL will to cook. I normally love to cook, but I haven't been in the kitchen - except to make the aforementioned sandwich - in days. So if it's not pre-made and in the refrigerator, chances are good I'm not going to be eating it. And I do ALL the cooking here, so you can see where the problem lies.

I like the sleeping, if only because it means I'm unconscious and not aware of the side effects. The cats definitely do appreciate it, heh - brats.

Gee, having a clone is fun. I'm glad you're a couple weeks ahead of me, though, because I apparently need the encouragement. You're giving me hope of a semi-normal life again. Thank you!

Okay.. REALLY not enjoying Lexapro (update) new
      #103740 - 09/03/04 05:29 PM
atomic rose

Shameless cross-posting of something I posted on the Diet board, because I can't talk to my doctor or pharmacist until Tuesday (yay for holidays!), and I'd love some opinions about whether or not it's even necessary for me to call them in the first place! Side effects and drug effectiveness with D

Thanks in advance if anyone can help!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 448 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 701

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review