All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Raising TWO doggies...any pointers? new
      #104140 - 09/06/04 03:51 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

So hubby and I have Shana. She's between 9 months and a year old. And I want another dog. Yeah, I know, I'm nuts right! Well, my b-day is coming up and I hope hubby is gonna let me rescue a second dog!!!

So here's the big question: How do I get the new addition to bond with me AS WELL AS Shana? Shana seems pretty binded with us (we've only had her since Aug 1at...but she has started scratching on the door when we leave...and her tail wags a mile a minute when we return...pretty recent happenings!)

I'm home most of the day with Shana working on the children's book I'm writing. Plus I'm not always feeling 100% so I'm home then too. But I'm not enough for her! LOL And I would LOVE another dog...that's the truth. Shana's my baby! I love her dearly. Hubby and I are SO ATTACHED TO HER! We went out errand running yesterday and he wanted to hurry back home to her....so sweet!

Sorry for rambling LOL Anyhow, I'm wondering if it's okay to introduce a new doggie to her at this point? When we take her to the dog park...she always wants to play with the smaller dogs...and they like her back! She's submissive...should I get another submissive dog for her? Female/male? Is it okay to get, say, a Yorkie with a Lab/Shepherd mix? (Shana's a Lab mixe with something...we've been told everything from Shar Pei to Shepherd to Rhodesian Ridgeback...no one knows for sure. As she grows it looks more like a shepherd mix tho!) Let me know if you have any suggestions...I want this to go smoothly for everyone! And I want Shana to know we love her MUCHO...and a new doggie to feel at home and loved and to bond with us as much as Shana has.

O, and one more question: what's a good age to macth with a 9-12 month old dog?

Thakns everyone!

Love,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: pic of my dog Clover! new
      #104159 - 09/06/04 05:29 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! SO CUTE!!!!!!!

What kind of dog is Clover? I have my guesses...but I'm not sure. How old...how long have you had him? What a SWEETIE!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

We adopt in our family....both kids and dogs! new
      #104166 - 09/06/04 06:21 PM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

Since we adopted both of our children, going to "adopt" a dog was a great lesson for the kids.

We adopted two shitzu-poodles (we call them shoodles). They were 2 years old at the time, house trained, kennel trained the whole nine yards. Their precious owner took the dogs to Petsmart for grooming and never picked them up. They were underweight, matted with urine and feces....so sad.

Two years later, they are the loves of mine and my daughters life. I work from home so often I am sitting at my desk with one or both in my lap! They only weigh about 5 lbs a piece.

I am all about adopting dogs...I don't think that I have ever paid for one!

Re: To anyone thinking about ADOPTING a dog new
      #104195 - 09/06/04 08:21 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

I second that... we adopted our doggie Charlie as an adult (he was about 1 and a half). He was close to being put down, as he'd lived in the shelter for almost five months. Although we did have some training issues, he is an amazing dog and I wouldn't trade him for anything. The puppy stage is quick, but saving an adult dog makes you feel good forever (especially if the dog you get is as big a goofball as our Charlie).

Re: pic of my dog Clover! new
      #104197 - 09/06/04 08:26 PM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

Ruchie, Clover is a dachshund...if I spelled that right...or a weiner dog...ya know the hot dog! LOL She is wonderful! We have had her for 14 months now. She was given to us by someone my mom new. LOVE her to death!!! Very good dog, She's great with kids! I don't know if I could do a puppy. I guess if my kids were older and I had a lot of time to work with it. Puppys as you know aren't easy. In fact I would go as far as saying a new born baby is easier that a puppy. As you can put a diaper on them And feed the a bottel or nurse them!

Anyhow, She is a sweetheart! If you can...post a pic of your doggie!

--------------------

Edited by StephS (09/06/04 08:28 PM)

Re: Raising TWO doggies...any pointers? new
      #104218 - 09/07/04 02:06 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hmm. Sounds like Shana could really do with a doggie companian to prevent her being too dependent on your attention. You don't want to only be happy if you're there - it'll rule your life!

A little dog would not be a problem. You'd probably find that the little one ends up being the brains of the outfit! That's my experience with little-dog/big-dog pairings! It can be hilarious!

Is Shana spayed? If not (and I know she's quite young), then I'd probably go for another bitch. Age wise, the only thing to consider is that the older the dog, the more immovable their attitude to other dogs (whether good/bad, anti-Shana...) will be. A younger dog won't have such fixed opinions.

Just make sure you introduce them on neutral territory, ie. not at home! Let them make friends before you take the newcomer home. A lot of rescue centres suggest you bring your current dog along before you make a final decision, so that you don't have to bring the newbie back if all hell breaks loose! But as she's friendly already, then it's def. possible!

Good luck! I'm still sans puppy. Money's so tight atm that I think we're going to wait for a while. I need to earn some money! Eek!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 156 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15755

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review