All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Cara, that's great!!!! new
      #103801 - 09/04/04 06:29 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

A little puppy that sits already? Wow! I'm impressed. He does sound like a very smart pup. That's terrific!

And I'm glad the crate training is working. Also, I forgot to mention something. When I said to put his food in his crate at dinnertime, I didn't mean to leave it in there all day. If he doesn't finish it all, put it away and save it for later (if it's not wet). If he has access to it all day in his crate, it will be harder for you to control his elimination times. You want the feeding on a regular schedule---so that his elimination times will be on schedule too. If he eats a little in his crate on and off all day, he'll be "going" all day!!! (Does that make sense?)

He can go to his water bowl right after he leaves his crate!

This is the rescue info I want you to look at---

http://www.tribeagles.org/adoptpacket/healthinfo.htm.

It's mainly health info, but it has a little on crate training too.

Go, Rocco!!!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

A tired puppy works! new
      #103803 - 09/04/04 06:31 AM
BL

That's great that you have all the kids in the neighborhood to play with him. Tiring him out is the trick to getting him to sleep well at night.

That's why if you can get him to walk on a leash soon, you can wear him out by walking him!!!!

Then he'll sleep really well....and you will too!

Thanks BL - one more question for ya.... new
      #103867 - 09/04/04 11:31 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

He has a temper today! He even started howling a couple times.
Here's my question - today he's getting SO aggressive with his toys and his pillow bed that he growls a lot. Should I scold that? It scares me! I hate when dogs growl. He definately doesn't understand 'NO' yet.

Thanks for all your help. I saw that one of my 'neighbors' has 2 beagles today!! I'll have to introduce them sometime - they are a couple blocks away.

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: Thanks BL - one more question for ya.... new
      #103870 - 09/04/04 12:06 PM
BL

That's a hard question. Without me hearing it, I'm not sure what kind of growl you mean. If he's just playing, that's fine. If he's barking excessively, you certainly want to discourage that. Or if he's snapping at you, that should be discouraged too. But I would think at his young age, that he's just playing! A certain amount of nipping should be expected with such a young puppy. He's playing like he does with his canine brothers and sisters---and that's the only way he knows how to play. We just have to teach him what's exceptable and what's not.

If he is being too aggressive or nipping at young kids, just discourage him with a stern "No!" He should be able to tell by the tone of your voice that you mean business! Never hit at him. Use your voice! And try not to say his name with the "no"--- or he will associate his name with something negative and he won't want to come to you later when you call his name. Just a stern "No!" will do.

You mainly want to get his attention. Some people use the word "Out!" or "Ouch!" in a high pitched tone--anything to grab his attention and stop the misbehavior.

If he gets too rambunctious and you think things are totally out of hand, gently put him in his crate, close the door and ignore him until he settles down. (I know this is hard!) Don't scold him while he's in the crate. This is just a time-out period for him. He will learn that playing too hard doesn't get him any attention. You're trying to ignore bad behavoir!

And of course, if he's being good, always PRAISE him.

He sounds precious! I know you are enjoying him. Most beagles won't play fetch, which drives my husband crazy! Will he fetch a toy if you throw it? If he will, this is better than playing tug of war with him. Some dog trainers think playing tug of war with them only encourages them to use their mouths aggressively.

Hope this helps! Wish I could see him! We bathed our 2 today, and they loved being massaged by the towel afterwards. They smell so good now!

And yes if your neighbor with the beagles will let you bring him over, get him used to being around other dogs now! Ask her if they are friendly to other dogs. Most beagles like other beagles, but sometimes a spat can occur if they are 3 of them (3's a crowd!).

If she's not sure how her beagles will react, ask her to try one of hers with Rocco. Have her put one of hers on a leash, let the dogs sniff each other, and then you will know how they will get along. Both of you need to be present to see how they react. (Don't put them in a backyard and leave them ---not at first, anyway.) If there's any aggression shown, the owner should sternly tell that dog "No!"

We've had our 2 together with a large group of beagles from the rescue society, and they love playing together. Sometimes there's a growl or two, and we just discourage it, and the playing goes on fine.

I wanna see him! Send more pics!

Thanks AGAIN BL.... new
      #103886 - 09/04/04 04:23 PM
Cara4503

You're helping me so much, you don't even realize! Isn't it incredible that he sits already? But now he's using it against me...he'll come up and whine, and sit down and just look at me - wanting a treat. It's SO cute and hard to resist. He's my baby!
Here's a couple more pics! The first one is kinda blurry - sorry.

--------------------
~Cara~

Oh my gosh, Cara...... new
      #103899 - 09/04/04 06:11 PM
BL

he's so a doll! I love the photo of him in his bed. The bed looks gigantic. Now I can see how tiny he is! I understand why you are in love with him.

Awwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!........ new
      #103918 - 09/05/04 03:45 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

.....I want one! He's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cute!

Re: Oh my gosh, Cara...... new
      #103936 - 09/05/04 07:13 AM
Cara4503

And that bed is so small! He's SO small, it's adorable. You should see him run through the grass, it's hilarious. And when he tried to go down steps, he is scared - but he puts his front paws down and his butt goes almost vertical. I'm always scared he's going to tip over! It's cute.
He's actually driving me nuts this morning. He definately found out that he has a voice and can howl already.

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: Update -- new
      #103945 - 09/05/04 07:58 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi Cara!

what do we do in the classes? Lets see...

We teach our dog it's name, to watch us, to sit, walk on a leash....there's a LOT! The thing I like best is that we use hand signals which work EVERY TIME! Dogs love em!

Here in Arizona, they have doggie parks and they offer free classes I think once a week. You may want to look into that if money is an issue. But those classes are WAY HUGE and you won't get any individual intention or a small enough group to really socialize your dog. But it's worth looking into!

Learning how to walk on a leash is really import. to my hubby and I! We want to take Shana (our dog) hiking...so she needs to be leashed trained and to listen to us when we tell her to come. Right now she's a big ole mess on a leash...she pulls and chokes herself, poor thing! But the training is REALLY helping! She's better on the leash every day.

Oh...another thing they work on in trainign is how to potty/crate train your pup. Since ours was already housetrained, we didn't need that part so much. Plus our pup is afraid of confined spaces (she's a rescus dog), so no crate for her! But we still have one...just in case

Anyway...please feel free to ask me more questions (sorry if I wasn't specific enough here). I wish you SO MUCH LUCK!

My hubby and I are thinking about getting another dog for my b-day coming up...yippee!

Have a super duper Sunday with your hubby and pup!

Love,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Thanks BL, Linz, Barbie, Bev, and all... new
      #103946 - 09/05/04 08:01 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I have to confess, you're not just helping Cara here!

I am so thrilled with all the info. I'M getting about my new pup too! I read everyting I can get my hands on about doggies so I can raise my pup right...and with friends like you and all this great info...I think I'm gonna be just fine!

Thanks for helping Cara and I out...and all the other dog lovers here on board!

Love,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 215 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15755

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review