All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Some suggestions new
      #103593 - 09/03/04 01:48 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

My housemate says paint Tabasco on the furniture he's chewing! Worked on his dog apparently. Just make sure you don't get any on his chews!

Supervise him with kids until he older - hold him if neccessary. If he was with dogs, they'd give him a swipe if he annoyed them, so remember not to be too soft! Hard, I know. You do want him to get used to children, but atm he won't know what's acceptable or not.

With the carpet, you can get great air-freshener type stuff nowadays that you spray on the surface and it gets rid of any residual smell! Some pet shops do special ones, but I use regular supermarket kinds. I'd start using one now so the smell can't build up. My parents now can't get the smell out of their hall floor where the senile dog peed. Ew!

I'd keep him out of the bedroom. Once he gets used to that, he'll never leave! A wrapped hot-water bottle in the cage is a great idea, as is newspaper. If he's mainly having accidents in one room, try putting newspaper all over the floor. Then when he's got used to going on the paper, you can reduce the amount of paper on the floor till he's only going on one spot. Then you can take it outside!

Good luck! I'm off the call a Beagle rescue centre to see if they have any puppies!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Puppy help for Cara new
      #103634 - 09/03/04 07:16 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Puppies are hard work, as you are learning. I've only had one puppy (years ago) and adopted 3 older dogs---and the older ones (even with their ISSUES) were much easier to deal with than a puppy!

I know at one time the beagle rescue sent me some info online about training a puppy. I will try to find it---and send it to you. So don't panic, ok?

I agree with Bev---you are going to have to practice tough love with him! As long as you give him plenty of love and attention during the day, it's ok to put him in his crate at night, in another room. That's what you're going to have to do to get some sleep! If he whines, then he'll just have to
whine. He needs to learn to settle down and go to sleep BY HIMSELF. As long as you keep him in your room and keep comforting him, you are prolonging this process.

As far as the housetraining goes, I'm not sure how often you should be taking him out. This depends on his age. How old is he?

Dogs don't like to mess in their space (their crate) so you are going to try to teach him to hold it in there. When you take him out of his crate, immediately take him outside---to the same spot.

Like I said before, you are not going to be able to give him free roam of the house. He's too young and his bladder is too immature. He will pee and poop all over your house---if you let him roam. There's nothing wrong with playing with him (let him go outside afterwards because playing causes him to "go potty"), and then putting him in his crate.

Try putting him in there, sitting in the same room and just reading a book or watching tv. Go about your business and ignore him. Do this for 15-20 minutes at a time, and gradually build up this time. He will learn to settle down and nap---or just be content to lie in his crate. Dogs sleep most of the day anyway.

You should see my 2 now. My bigger beagle is SNORING so loudly in the old Lazy Boy chair behind me (on a blanket, of course.) The smaller one is lying in her crate, on her side, looking at me so happy, like she is in heaven! The door was open, and she went in there by herself to take a nap.

I'm gonna look for that beagle training puppy info now!

To anyone thinking about ADOPTING a dog new
      #103638 - 09/03/04 07:47 AM
BL

For anyone considering getting a new dog, please consider the following----

Puppies, as you see from what Cara is going through, are cute, but are a lot of work. They are essentially babies for about 2 years---and thus, take a lot of time and effort. Housetraining is a gradual process, and the chewing problem can last for 18 months to 2 years.

I don't mean to discourage anyone from getting a puppy, but I would like to ENCOURAGE you to consider adopting a dog (not a puppy) from a reputable rescue society. Although most of these dogs will have an adjustment period, it usually only takes a short time, in comparison to the puppy training period.

Most rescue societies will allow you (after being approved) to take a dog on a trial basis---and if the dog doesn't work out, you are allowed to return it to them ---and they will place it in a home that's more appropriate for it. You can't return a puppy if after all that hard work you decide its personality is not right for your family!

Rescue societies also can tell you the dog's temperament (whether it's laid back or active), whether it's housetrained or not, and how the dog reacts to other dogs, cats and children. So you know what you are getting---unlike when you take in a puppy!

Think most dogs at a rescue center are unworthy of a new home? This is a common misconception. Many times the beautiful and sweet dogs they have are there for simple reasons---their owner lost their job and couldn't afford to keep them, their owner moved overseas or into an apartment and couldn't take the dog with them, or someone in the family was allergic to the dog. That's all!!!! They are not rejects, but dogs that are homeless because of the unfortunate circumstances of their owners.

And no, most of these dogs are not OLD, they are many times, 2-3 years old---which is, guess what? Just past the puppy stage!!!! Someone else has already gone through the whining, chewing stage with them---and now you get to enjoy the dog!

I've worked with the beagle rescue society and watched these dedicated volunteers take in "foster" dogs into their homes temporarily until a permanent home is found. Because these people have lived with the dog, they can tell you what the dog is like and can help you with the adjustment period.

We have adopted 3 beagles and they've all been wonderful additions to our family. Two of them were completed housetrained and had a very easy adjustment period. The third beagle was much harder because we don't think she had been properly socialized as a puppy. She was afraid of everything, including people. But after lots of love and attention, she is precious---and the easiest to tend to because she wants to please others! (she's now my favorite).

I'm going to have to get my son to post a photo of my beags. Maybe that will encourage you to give one of these rescue dogs a loving home!

Good luck--and thanks for listening!

Beagle lover new
      #103641 - 09/03/04 09:06 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

We're seriously considering it. DH has gone beagle crazy.

However I would prefer a puppy. Part of that is they're so cute and I want something baby to look after as I can't have an actual baby atm (bad reason I know! ). The other part is that our dog at the moment came from a rescue centre aged two and was chaos! Admittedly he was a Springer Spaniel which are generally a bit of a nightmare sometimes, but we really struggled to train him at that age and it's only now he's grown elderly that he's a lovely, well-behaved dog. Plus I'm used to clearing up after a senile dog, so I think I could cope with puppy mess!

Anyway, we're considering a grown dog, mainly because there are so few puppies in rescue homes here.

Re: Yaay Rocco! new
      #103644 - 09/03/04 09:16 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Cara,

WOW! I LOVE YOUR DOG's pic! I also just got a new puppy August 1st...a rescue dog from the Humane Society. she has some issues...but we wouldn't chnage her! We're taking her to Petsmart for training...it's also 8 weeks for $100 (is that where you plan tot ake your dog?) Starting pronto is the best idea! Our Shana (that's our dog's name) is anywhere from 9 months to a year already...and it is NOT EASY to train her....she's already got a mind of her own (she's a teenager after all)! Let me know if you want more of an idea of what we do at the Petsmart...I would be happy to fill you in. Shana is our baby...the other night I was hullucinating from meds...and she literally took care of me (even tried waking up my hubby to get him to take care of me...but he was wya out of it!!) LOL Dogs ROCK!

Keep us posted...this is AWESOMe, I'm thrilled for you! Now if only I can convince my husband that Shana needs a friend so we can get another dog....hmmmm

Happy Friday!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Chewing and my puppy...what hubby and I did new
      #103650 - 09/03/04 09:36 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Cara,

Hi again! Your puppy is SO CUTE!

About chewing......get your dog LOTS of chew toys! Get a stuffed animal squeaky toy (the Petsmart trainer doesn't recommend rawhides cause they can swell the dog's intestines if they digest them...but there is contrevery on this), get your dog a REAL butcher bone or buy a coated one from a pet store (but watch your dog...the coating can cause diarrhea...so you gotta be careful there), and get some corn starch chews. ANY TIME(try to be consistent), your beagle chews on anything you don't want it to...redirect its attention to one of these items. When your dog is doing something you like (chewing on a one), tell it "Good girl/boy"! Consitency is key though! It's not easy (I'm right here with ya!), but it's well woth the effort.

Another thing my hubby and I do is we ignore Shana when she comes over to the table begging for food or when she tries to jump on us. It has helped tremendously! We also don't leave things around that we know she will want to chew...like napkins on the table...our house is kinda "babyproofed" Lets see what else...I read it's best nort to give your puppy attention all the time. Attention is a GREAT way to get your puppy to do what you want...they crave attention and so if I save attention for when my pup is doing something I like...she feels good, keeps doing what I praised her for, and everyone's happy! :-)

Do you play tug of war with a rope with your pup? It's our dog's fav game! We only play with her thought if she'll give up her toy. when play gets rough, we stop playing and go back in 10 seconds and start again until she learns not to pull so hard. When she gets it right, we priase her. if she drops the rope, we also praise her. If not, we end the game and ignore her and go back after 10 seconds.

Drop it is important...later on when you want your pup to drop the tissue box, or whatever, if you can tell your dog to "drop it" you will save yourself a lot of mess and hassle!

WHEW! Sorry if this is too much info! Or if it's not easily understood. Let me know if I need to clarify anything!

I'm so thrilled for you! But it's HARD STUFF! I think you're doing a great job...and you sure love your pup enough! enjoy him/her!

Let us know if you have more questions!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Linz new
      #103702 - 09/03/04 01:21 PM
BL

Good luck in your search for a dog---puppy or grown! I think the most important thing is to find the dog that fits you and your family.

Our first dog was a llaso apsos---and boy, did we not know what we were getting into! We didn't realize we needed to have him groomed. We were young and poor---and so just bathed him ourselves and tried to brush his hair out. It was always in a tangled mess! Our beagles are easy---just wash and towel off.

We once adopted this little dog from a rescue. He was cute, but he was so HYPER. He barked constantly (inside and outside the house---YAP, YAP, YAP) which made me a nervous wreck. He chased the vacuum cleaner and dustbuster, yapping at it!

We asked the rescue to find another home for him. They were very glad that we were honest with them. They called later to say he had been adopted by the perfect family for him---a young couple in the counry who were big runners and wanted a high energy dog. He wasn't a bad dog---just not the right one for us.

We picked out our 2nd beagle at the beagle rescue society's adoptothan. They had about 15 of their rescue beagles at a Petsmart. (We had already been approved to adopt) This was great because the dogs' foster parents were there and could tell us about each dog. When we met Mulligan and talked to his foster family, we knew he was the right one for us!

Our 3rd beagle is what you would call a "failed fostering attempt." We were just going to foster her for the rescue until a permanent home came along, and we fell in love with her---and Mulligan did too. They became so attached to each other that we couldn't separate them. So we adopted her!

Whatever you do, please don't buy a dog from a pet store. Those come from puppy mills---people that breed them too closely together and excessively and many times they are not in good health. There's a lot of inbreeding with these dogs, so they don't have good temperaments.

I'd suggest a reputable breeder or a rescue. Older dogs can be cuddly---just like a puppy. Mulligan---all 35 pounds of him---loves to lie on my lap while I'm reading the newspaper!

Let me know what you decide. I think Cara's husband started something!

Update -- new
      #103790 - 09/04/04 05:32 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Well thanks Bev, Steph, BL, Barbie, Ruchie and everyone who gave me suggestions!!
I guess it's just hard to have a puppy! Next time we get a dog we are definately adopting. And I think I'll always get beagles - they are SO good with kids! He loves all the kids in the neighborhood.
It's getting a little better here. He is a fast learner! Maybe because I'm home all day with him.
The last 2 nights we've put him in his kennel. The first night was bad, but he did much better last night. We still get up every 2 hours to take him out. This morning he started whining really loud, so I took him out and he pooped! I think he knows to go out, but he only gives us a LITTLE warning before he goes.

Also - I started telling him 'SIT' before I give him food - and he already knows the command! We were outside last night just playing and I said, 'Rocco SIT' and he sat right down!! I am so impressed. But he'll only do that if nothing else is distracting him. I still think it's great.

The doggy training classes I was going to do are at Petsmart. I just don't know if we can afford that! I'm going to wait until he's 12 weeks and then decide. I think I am doing a pretty good job, but if you guys really think those classes will do more, then we'll do it.
Ruchie - what do they do in those classes?

Well anyways - I am exhausted, time to lay down and watch tv.

~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

Thanks Kelly! :) NT new
      #103793 - 09/04/04 05:41 AM
Cara4503

--------------------
~Cara~

Thanks Linz! new
      #103795 - 09/04/04 05:45 AM
Cara4503

I might have to try that tabasco. I got some Bitter Apple spray, and I keep putting on my feet because that's his favorite thing to chew.

We are keeping him out of the bedroom now. It's sad, I liked sleeping with him, but I know we'll have to change that He's just such a cutie. His little face makes me melt!

Our neighborhood has this happy hour type thing every Friday night at different people's houses - and all the kids play and the adults eat/drink/socialize....so we took Rocco last night and the kids LOVED him. They played with him the whole time, and he did really good. They got him really tired, so I think that's why last night was better in the kennel!

Anyways, thanks for your suggestions, and I hope YOU get a dog soon - they are so cuddly! You should get a beagle!

~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 127 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15754

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review