All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Medication for IBS??
      #102272 - 08/28/04 09:52 PM
jamiedolan

Reged: 08/28/04

HI,

I love the concept here where everyone us working with changing the diet to help with IBS. I have used medication to controal IBS, and I am just wondering if anyone else has had good luck with using medications for IBS, or if the people here are againsit using medications for IBS for some reason?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Medication for IBS?? new
      #102284 - 08/29/04 04:44 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Nope. Anything that helps is what we use!

I've used loads of different meds, but now I keep stable just using the diet and soluble fibre supplements.

Unfortunately meds can only help, not cure/prevent IBS, so changing the diet is needed as well.

#102286 - 08/29/04 04:51 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

the only meds that helped me so far had side effects I don't like so I use them as emergency thigns and work with the SFS and diet to control the majority of symptoms...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#102289 - 08/29/04 05:15 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

If there was a miracle pill that controlled or cured IBS-A, I'd be first in line! But there isn't, at least so far, so I have a few meds for various symptoms (which I take as-needed) and beyond that, the diet and natural supplements in combination works for me - thank goodness!

#102318 - 08/29/04 09:44 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

HI Jamie! I take Hysoscyamine/Levsin for the cramping and gas, it is the best thing I have ever found. Since everything I eat gives me gas, I take it every day. My doc advised twice a day, but I find that one in the morning does the job just fine. On extreme occasions, I might take one half later in the day.

This is all I take other than Lexapro for depression, the doc said this would help the IBS, I guess I haven't taken it long enough to see a change.

gayla

#102388 - 08/29/04 03:05 PM
jamiedolan

Reged: 08/28/04

I have used Donnatel extend tabs, and Librex, they both controal the cramping pretty well. I have not found anything medicine wise, that can normalize my bowel habits, so I am going to try some more of the diet related ideas listed on this site.

#102394 - 08/29/04 03:32 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, Jamie and welcome!! No, we're not anti pill! In fact it took a combination of three things for me to get stable and without any one of the three, I end up with D.

The three things are:
1. a soluble fiber supplement
2. Heather's diet
3. my meds (Bentyl, Imodium, Gas-X, acidophilus)

Good luck making some diet changes and come on back if you have any questions or just to let us know how it's going.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#102402 - 08/29/04 03:57 PM
LindaG

Reged: 08/29/04

I have tried most of the medications for IBS. I am on Bentyl now and see no difference.
After being on Heather's IBS diet for about 2 months I have recently been experiencing Yellow watery diarhea after I eat. It has been happening for about 3 or 4 days. Has anyone experienced this? I am getting nervous.

#102822 - 08/31/04 09:10 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Linda, Welcome!! I remember a few posts about this but not the details. I would suggest posting a new message on the Diet board (there's a link at the top of the list of messages that says Post). Also do a search on "yellow" with no time limit.

Glad you found us.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#102894 - 08/31/04 02:55 PM
Berni

Reged: 08/13/04

Has anyone used "Digestive Advantage IBS" tablets and if so did they work for you so that you could eat anything you want and still feel good? Their promo says take one or two per day and then you can eat a regular diet.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1797 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1153

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review