Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Litterbox Suggestions
      #102018 - 08/27/04 03:04 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys,

I'm hoping some of you with cats might be able to help me out with a litterbox dilemna. I've had my cat for about 1 year and he's always had an uncovered litterbox. At my old apartment, it was under an old desk that we didn't use so it afforded some protection from the smell and the dust.

However, in our new apartment we don't have room for the desk, and there isn't an extra rooms for the litterbox so it has to go out in the living room. I'm really concerned about the dust and the smell, so I was thinking about trying a covered box.

I'm worried though because he's used to an uncovered box he might not use a covered one. Also, I thought the covered one might just cause him to stink more.

Anyone have any advice or opinions?
Thanks!
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Litterbox Suggestions new
      #102046 - 08/27/04 05:24 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I would say go for the covered box and from what I know the cat will like it. I read a book on cats that didn't recommend them but I think it was too persnickety. (it said they want to be on guard when going potty so they couldn't see with the cover and didn't always like that) but my cats are fine with it even the psycho one. Anyway go to http://www.drsfostersmith.com/ and get a really nice looking one.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#102047 - 08/27/04 05:28 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Oh I feel for ya! I'm fortunate to have a basement and we put a little kitty door on our basement door and we stuck the litter box down there!
If you decide against the covered box kind, Arm and Hammer makes a cat box deodorizer that you can spinkle on the bottom or even throughout the litter. It' really helps with the odor and smells good too.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#102119 - 08/28/04 04:16 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

no more cats, but we used to have 3... a) put baking soda in the litter box (plain works as well as the litter box stuff- used to buy 10 pound boxes at sams) and use liberally... many of the covered boxes have a filter- get one with one and replace regularly, it will help contain the odor.. and place a throw rug or mat under and in front of the opening... then introduce the cat to the box.. as in set it up and ready for use then stick the cat inside. he may not go, but at least he'll know where it is when he needs to go. Cats tend to be clean animals so that should be enough as long as you are cleaning the box and changing litter regularly, as well as scooping..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#102146 - 08/28/04 08:03 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I went through the same thing, and I found that my cats adjusted to a covered box flawlessly. And I've found that it does cut down on the dust, but not really on the smell. Then again, I only clean the box every other day; if you're better at cleaning it than I am, you'll probably have no smell.

One thing I'll tell you will be helpful: get a large mat, a piece of scrap carpet, or even just a towel or cloth rug to put under it, that extends out a foot or so in front, to catch flyaway litter. My cats don't kick litter out, but some always seems to stick to their toes, and that stuff gets EVERYWHERE... having something to catch it might be helpful.

I hear you on the lack of space, btw... when we moved in here, it was immediately obvious that the only place it would fit was wedged between the toilet and the washing machine. It was either that or the kitchen. Yuck.

#102180 - 08/28/04 09:59 AM
41DMBFAN41

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

My cat,Bailey,who is now two,always had an uncovered box,but I got sick of the dust and the look of the whole thing,I changed to a covered box,with no problems,actually I think he likes it more as he has more privacy.

Another Litterbox Suggestion new
      #102511 - 08/30/04 07:03 AM
leslierf

Reged: 10/11/03
Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Along with a covered litterbox, which my cats are fine with, I use a product called Feline Pine. It is a pine litter that absorbs the smell better than the sand type litters did. There is also no dust problem, and, it is biodegradeable and flushable. I get mine at Pets Mart and I saw it at Walmart a few times.

#102570 - 08/30/04 10:09 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hey there...everyone gave you great suggestions. I know my vet told me that if you feed your cat only dry food (no wet food at all) then their poop doesn't smell so strong...plus it's better for their teeth and overall health...

I feed my cat only dry food and her litter box tends not to smell too rancid...but I do scoop it very frequently...

Good luck!!

#102586 - 08/30/04 11:07 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I agree with everyone on the covered box idea, but I have one more to add...have you considered putting the litter box in the shower/tub??? That way it would be in the bathroom, which is accostomed to "stinky" things, and it's hidden from plain view!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 584 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1244

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review