Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Earwig Problem...
      #101413 - 08/25/04 06:43 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys,

I don't know if there is even any advice possible to be given on this topic, but I thought I'd throw it out there. I just recently moved into my new apartment, and it seems to have a bit of an earwig problem. Now, I may be exaggerating but it seems like I've seen more than what I consider reasonable. I'm going to try and talk to the landlords, but it's making me a little concerned.

I'm hoping it's just because of the time of year, the fact we're on the ground floor (and have sliding patio doors) and the fact that the apartment was empty for a few months before we moved in, but I'm not sure.

Anyone know of anything you can do for earwigs? I can't really spray anything toxic or anything because I have a cat, but I can't stand them. I'm afraid they're going to bite me (and I don't even know if earwigs bite). Anyways, any advice would be great!

Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I don't even know what an earwig is! -nt- new
      #101453 - 08/25/04 10:49 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

What an earwig is... new
      #101463 - 08/26/04 02:04 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

http://www.ivyhall.district96.k12.il.us/4th/kkhp/1insects/earwig.html

I love Google.

Re: Earwig Problem... new
      #101479 - 08/26/04 06:32 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Eeeeeew icky. I didn't know what one was until I saw the pic in the other post. Sorry you have to deal with that. I had a nasty mouse infestation last winter (25 caught between my apartment and the one next door!), and some old lady at my church told me that essence of peppermint can be used to keep the mice away. I'm sure it's not the same for earwigs, but there must be some kind of similar organic treatment you can use that won't harm the puddy tat.
Oooooooh I almost forgot -- and I think this is actually what worked -- my incredibly romantic boyfriend got me this thing called the Rodent Repeller. It plugs into your outlet and sends out ultrasonic noises that drive critters crazy. It also hooks into the ground wiring of the building and sends out electronic pulses along the wiring, and is effective in a radius of about 2,000 sq ft. I wish I hadn't thrown out the package, but I'm SURE it said it was effective against insect type critters, and safe for pets. Let me see if I can find it online ......

Ok this isn't the one I used but it looks good: Pest Repeller Ultimate

This one looks exactly like what I have, though it's being sold under another name: Pest a Cator

Anyway I hope this works. I have one like this plugged into the wall that is common to the apartment next door, and then I have two smaller ones that only do the ultrasonic pulse, one over my kitchen counter and one in my closet. I can't be sure if they are entirely responsible for getting rid of the mice but who knows? Good luck .... and don't walk around barefoot!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#101480 - 08/26/04 06:35 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hey there...

I had an earwig problem at my old house. We put baking soda along the bottom of windows and doors. For some reason it stops them from getting inside....

Good Luck!!

#101514 - 08/26/04 07:52 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

They are really ICKY!!!! I have a big garden and have tons of them outside but, luckily, they rarely venture inside my house! I bought some stuff at home depot, its a pestacid. If your kitties don't go out, sprinkle it around the outside and that should keep any more from coming in! One of my cats does go out and I just keep her in for 2 days after I put it down and it hasn't seemed to hurt her any.

I have never had one in my ear but I have been bitten by them before. About a month ago, I dug up a big clump of Iris so I could seperate it. When I broke open one of the bulbs, it was FULL of a swarm of earwigs! EEUWWW!! I dropped it and went screaming threw my yard like a little kid! A couple of them got into my gloves and bit my hands. They weren't really any worse than a really bad, big, mosquito bit. It hurt a little and itched for days! That day I went to Home Depot and bought the pesticid. The iris went into the garbage! I forgot what its called exactly but there is a picture of earwigs, along with a few other creepy crawlies right on the outside of the bag! I have been a little leary about digging anything else up in my garden!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#101553 - 08/26/04 09:19 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I'd go round with a spray and an cloth and spray the buggers and then wipe away the residue left on the floor (so the the kitty doesn't lick it up!). Good luck! I HATE earwigs.

#370698 - 12/05/13 08:56 PM
JohnRyder

Reged: 12/05/13

Thanks for this suggestion and I think that could be a great idea to save Windows and Doors Toronto. I would like to try this.

#370699 - 12/05/13 08:59 PM
JohnRyder

Reged: 12/05/13

I think that could be a great idea to save Windows and Doors Toronto from earwig. I would like to try this. I appreciate for this suggestion.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 334 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7113

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review