All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Need to start Effexor, looking for advice (Nugget or anyone else)...
      #101025 - 08/24/04 02:27 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys,

Sorry I haven't been around more, I still have no more than like a foot of space at my computer because it's surrounded by boxes so it's not super comfortable Hoping to have all the unpacking done by this weekend (hopefully that's not wishful thinking).

Anyways, I had an appointment with a psychiatrist this Monday. Unfortunately, he was a psychiatrist who specializes in eating disorders and he agreed with me that I don't seem to be presenting any symptoms of having one (finally, a professional who validates what I've been seeing), which is good because it means my doctors will continuing investigating to make sure there's nothing else wrong with me (they were going to stop if this guy suspected I had an eating disorder). Anyways, long story short, after speaking with me, he felt I should go back on an anti-depressant because I have major anxiety issues and because when I was on Paxil my stomach was for the most part improved.

I'm going to try Effexor since it's one of the few SSRIs that lists weight loss as a side effect instead of weight gain (I gained over 40lbs on Paxil). I'm a little nervous about starting it, especially since I thought this guy was going to monitor me but because I don't have an eating disorder he won't be seeing me again (and I liked him...it figures). So my regular doc is going to have to try and monitor me while I try and find another therapist (this guy suggested counselling would be good).

So, any advice from anyone on taking it? Is it better to take it in the morning or at night? I believe Effexor tends to make people jittery so I thought morning might be better...I don't know.

Anyways, any advice would be great, sorry this is such a long post for such a simple question

Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need to start Effexor, looking for advice (Nugget or anyone else)... new
      #101152 - 08/25/04 06:14 AM
bz

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Hi Kelly,

I started taking Effexor (37.5 mg) back in March. It takes a good 3 weeks to really see a difference. But I really like it. My stomach is much calmer and I don't have as many D episodes at all. I didn't find I was jittery at all and after about 3 weeks or so I did see a difference. Now at least I can eat some things without worrying about getting sick. And yes I agree with you about asking for one without the side effect of weight gain, that's what I said to my doctor. I only dropped a few pounds in the first month or so but my metabolism is so slow anyway.

Give it a try and see if you like it. Good luck and I hope it works as well for you.

Barbara

Re: I'm taking effexor.... new
      #101156 - 08/25/04 06:22 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

And I had no problems with it. You have to take it morning and night which is a bit of a drag but I got used to it. It took FOREVER to start working with me (I'm talking months and months). That doesn't mean it'll be that way with you, though. Jsut remember not to expect immediate results - it takes 8-12 weeks to fully work and it took me even longer. Then they will have to adjust your dose - see if you need an increase. Just be careful - I know it says it doesn't cause weight gain but I did anyway.
I did find it to be less jittery than Paxil. You should be fine.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Need to start Effexor, looking for advice (Nugget or anyone else)... new
      #101310 - 08/25/04 01:51 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Kelly, that sounds like exactly the right thing to do. Sounds like you found a good doctor. Even if you never see him again, he has started you on the right path to recovery!

I take Effexor and have been for wow, 5 years maybe (time flies!). It's actually sedating if you look up the side effects (somnolence or sleepiness is the first one). I take it at lunch time and at dinner time. I can't remember how I used to take it, but I do remember that it was causing me to nod off in front of my computer at work in the late morning. Every day. No matter how much coffee I drank. Very embarrassing! My doctor suggested switching the time I took it and as soon as I did, the problem stopped!

My doctor has also increased my dosage several times. I actually take it for chronic clinical depression or dysthymia. But it had the side effect of calming my tummy too, so that was nice.

Good luck with it and let us know how it goes, okay?? I'm so happy for you that you're finally getting some actual help from the medical profession!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Effexor is a blessing for me.... new
      #101519 - 08/26/04 08:11 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

Hi Kelly...

Sorry I didn't reply sooner....just been very busy here at work...but I wanted to let you know how Effexor has helped me. This post may get a little long, but I hope it helps you.

I have always been a little "worry wort" as far back as I can remember.....nervousness, anxiety, etc. In fact, my pediatrician when I was a kid said I had a nervous stomach. Looking back I can see that was the start of my IBS-D. I was always nervous when going to school, social gatherings, work, etc. The thing that made it worse was that I'd try to act normal on the outside while inside I was falling apart and it was catching up with me.

A few years ago, about a year after my grandmother passed away, I was put on anti-depressants for depression. They first tried me on Paxil....which I didn't like at all because I felt worse on it. Then they put me on Zoloft and it worked very well for me and for my IBS, too...other than the sexual side effects. I was on it for approx. 2 years and then, after counseling and switching to a new, much more caring doctor, I felt well enough to get off of it. I had been off Zoloft for a little over 2 years when just recently I started getting very anxious, nervous, more IBS-D episodes, etc. I was so proud of myself for getting off Zoloft that I was reluctant to admit that I needed to go back on some kind of medication again. I finally went back to my doctor and he and his staff have reassured me that it's not something that we can control. It is a chemical imbalance that we need some help with. It's no different than having to take insulin for diabetes. So with that, in June, I set out with a determination to get better even though I was going to have to go back on medication to do it. My doctor suggested Effexor because it is more of an anti-anxiety medication but also an anti-depressant (since I had been treated for depression before). He told me that he felt very good about giving it to me and that there would be a few side effects to overcome at first but to "just grit your teeth and work through it" because they have had such good results with others on this medication. As with any other anti-depressant/anti-anxiety medication, they start out gradually with a "starter kit". The first week I took 37.5 and then increased to 75mg. I was on 75mg for a couple weeks and then had a follow-up appt. with my doctor. I told him that I felt better at first and then started feeling the same again with anxiety and more IBS attacks. So he said that 75mg was still a very low dose of Effexor and that he would increase it to 150mg. I had one more follow-up with him a few weeks later and am doing great! I haven't had to use Imodium for two months, am able to eat almost anything without any problems, am not nervous to leave the house for social gatherings, work, etc. I don't feel nervous much at all. There is a little normal nervousness, but nothing like I was experiencing before. I'm able to enjoy things more. There aren't the sexual side-effects like with Zoloft, either.

I have gained about 4 pounds, but I think it is more due to the fact that I'm not having to worry as much about what I eat and am able to eat practically anything. I don't think I have gained weight because of the medication itself. To deal with that I just have increased my exercise and remind myself to not eat in excess and eat in moderation. One side-effect of the Effexor that has helped with the IBS-D also is C. Not bad C....but not having to worry about finding a bathroom in a hurry if you know what I mean.

Anyway....I think you will be pleased with the results of being on Effexor. Just remember that everybody is different. Take it one day at a time and give it a chance to work. You may have some unpleasant side effects at first, but they don't last long and aren't unbearable. Just like my doctor said "grit your teeth and work through it." But, then too, Effexor might not be for everybody...so if the side effects are unbearable for you let your doctor know. Work closely with your doctor. There are lots of medications out there. Find one that works....it's well worth it.

Best of luck to you. Keep us posted on your progress.

{{{{{hugs}}}}}}

Nugget

Re: Effexor is a blessing for me..../ Nugget?? new
      #101525 - 08/26/04 08:22 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Nugget
I just started Zoloft and was wondering when you say sexual side effects what excatly is that if you don't mind me asking? If you feel more confortable you can e mail me. Everyone always say sexual side eeffects but noone ever says what. Is it just lost of sex drive or what.
Thanks

--------------------
Heather7476

#101527 - 08/26/04 08:29 AM
Nugget

Yes...for me it was just a loss in sex drive. I could have cared less about it. Which wasn't fair to my husband or myself. Nothing serious to worry about.

#101531 - 08/26/04 08:34 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Thanks I have had all these horrid thoughts running through my head. When I asked the Pharm. She said o the usual. O ok thanks.
Thanks Nugget now I am not so worried.

--------------------
Heather7476

You're welcome! Good luck! -nt- new
      #101533 - 08/26/04 08:40 AM
Nugget

heather7476 new
      #101537 - 08/26/04 08:50 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

When I took Zoloft, it wasn't just that I wasn't interested, but I couldn't. No matter how hard I tried, the big O would not come---if you know what I mean! That was frustrating. But, of course, this is probably dose-related, and I was on a very high dose.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 826 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1447

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review