All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS-D and a flat stomach....is it possible???
      #366170 - 09/29/11 12:12 PM
ReadyToCommit

Reged: 09/29/11
Loc: New Jersey

Hi Everyone! My name is Dana and I am 23 yrs old. I have had stomach problems basically all of my life.I still remember an incident when I was little. My friend had a sleepover and I believe there was pizza involved. All the girls went to play and have fun and I stayed inside my sleeping bag. I had to go to the bathroom so bad, but held it in because I was too embarassed to go to the bathroom.

It wasn't till high school did I actually test to see if I was Lactose Intolerant...ding! ding! ding! I was! so I cut out dairy right away. However, it wasn't until I was in college did more symptoms occur. The bloating, constant running to the bathroom, gas, etc. I have had endless amounts of tests, to only come to the conclusion that I had IBS. I was actually going into each test hoping I had whatever I was being tested for because I just wanted an answer. It's like I was thinking IBS wasn't good enough of an answer, I wanted something more serious because of how my symptoms were making me feel. Little did I know IBS is enough to handle and can be serious. Anyways, back to what I came to stress over (as if I haven't already). I have been active and into sports all my life. In college, I started looking in fitness magazines and began reading health articles. I fell in love with it. My life was going to class and then going to the gym. I also began making my own food and started making healthy recipes for holidays so my family can indulge in my healthy creations. My grandma said " Dana, you should of went to school for nutrtiion. With the amount of problems you have with your stomach you would have done so well with it." In a way I was flattered by her statement. Even though I didn't go to school for it I can still enjoy it and help others try to get healthy at the same time. I was and still am motivated by all the fitness models and professional figure athletes. At one point I hired an online trainer to get me to where I wanted to be health wise and body wise. I wanted to have that healthy, sexy, strong body that I saw in the magazines. I was doing so well with the trainer, but I could not lose that bloating look in my stomach! Fast forward to today and I am still haunted by the bloated stomach everyday. I even have a name for my "food baby"...Maggie! No one knows how stressful and frustrating it is to just eat a small amount of food and get such a big stomach afterwards (unless you have IBS of course).

About 6-7 months ago I found out I was allergic to corn. Do you know how much food is made from or derived from corn??? the answer is A LOT! Once again I was so frustrated having to read all the labels in the supermarket to having to watch what I ordered in a restuarant. However, by eliminating those foods and adding my fitness regimen into the mix I began loosing weight and feeling better about myself. But my life came to a hault when I was let go by my job. I started not to care as much about wether or not the food I was eating came from corn. But I am still unemployed and looking for a job (along with thousands of other Americans) This time I want to stay positive and believe that not only will I eventually get a job again but that I will one day have the stomach/body I always wanted. It's just going to take a little bit of time and planning. I went to a Muay Thai seminar last weekend (type of martial art) and the famous instructor from Thailand came over to me and said "whatever you put your mind to you can achieve." I believe that goes for anything and everything. I do believe I will find that right probiotic that will ease my bloating and get back to the healthy diet I was on. Follow me in my journey of succeeding true success in both my professional and emotional/physical life

Leave any feedback and comments when and if you please. I'd love to start a group and help others along their way of a fit and healthy lifestyle while dealing with IBS.

Regards,
Dana

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS-D and a flat stomach....is it possible??? new
      #366174 - 09/30/11 07:14 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

I relate to a lot of your story. Due to all my issues, I also became obsessed with reading up on health and fitness, and others often ask me for advice. It's not too late to formalize your education in this field, there are many places that offer distance learning. In my 30's I got my MS in Nutrition in this fashion. While I have not been able to find employment in this field, I like being able to use what I've learned.

While I don't have a true "allergy" to corn, testing did reveal I have a sensitivity to it. My response was the same as yours, "it's in EVERYTHING". It's very challenging to find things that don't have corn in some form in it. I did really well for awhile but have lately fallen off the wagon and I'm starting to feel it. I'm in the process of trying to "reboot" and get back to basics with this thing. It's never ending, unfortunately. But in most cases it is manageable if you're willing to work at it.

Good luck in your job search!

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4802

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review